The Elite HDTV returns!!! ... As an LCD... Wait what???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Don't know if I should celebrate or cry myself to sleep... But Sharp, yes that's right SHARP is re launching the Elite series with their new LCD TV sets...

Pioneer themselves promise they'll be better than the Kuros and they will of course be 3D-ready.

here's some pics

I don't really know if this is good or bad news but I believe this TV will be competing with Panasonics new VX300 series plasmas coming out later this year.

Being LCD this TV will share nothing with the old Kuros (completely different panel obviously) I guess there goes our dreams of Panasonic releasing a Kuro plasma under their name :(

PRO70X5FD:

70" diagonal

1920x1080p resolution

43kg weight

282w power consumption

price unknown

PRO60X5FD:

60" diagonal

1920x1080p resolution

32.5kg

power consumption 204W

User Manual

A HERITAGE IN UNPARALLELED ENGINEERING

"When you see the picture for the first time, you'll find yourself unconsciously holding your breath. It will be nearly impossible to keep your eyes off of it. These new Elite LCD masterpieces are an incredible combination of state-of-the-art engineering and proprietary magic.

You'll experience a superior range of colors, with the addition of yellow pixels to the standard RGB palette. Super smooth pans that challenge even the fastest camera sweeps. Contrast that spans deep black to the purest white. And a proprietary full array LED backlight technology that produces a significantly brighter and richer image.

You'll instantly recognize this as an entirely different breed of television picture.

It's okay. You can breathe now."

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

I can't possibly see how an LCD panel can even come close to a decent plasma panel, let alone a Kuro panel.

But if Pioneer says that it will exceed the Kuro's performance, then there has to be something to this TV...

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

lolwut...

did we get a price and release date yet?

EDIT: Price at $6,000 for the 60" and $8,000 for the 70"

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

And you can clearly see backlight bleed and blooming in Engadget's videos. What good are near 0 black levels when the corners of the screen are a flashing bright blue? And it will still have issues with motion I'm sure. I'd rather buy a used Kuro, and it would be cheaper...

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mozelleple112

lolwut...

did we get a price and release date yet?

EDIT: Price at $6,000 for the 60" and $8,000 for the 70"

ChubbyGuy40
Ah yeah.. $6000 lol'd. rather pay $4000 for a 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma :P
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChubbyGuy40

Ah yeah.. $6000 lol'd. rather pay $4000 for a 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma :PMozelleple112

I dunno. If it could provide me with 1080p 3D via Nvidia's 3D (dual link/two hdmi cables) then I think my car would have to wait a bit longer :P

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts
I think you should cry. This is a pathetic attempt to cash in on the Kuro name. Even Engadget didn't seem to thrilled with what they saw. Home Theater Magazine just reviewed 3 Panasonic plasmas in the same issue and for good reason-they are the best TV's you can buy right now.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Eh? I thought Panasonic took over their plasma dept
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
No plasma= Not a real Kuro
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mozelleple112
[QUOTE="markop2003"]Eh? I thought Panasonic took over their plasma dept

Who said anything about a plasma?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

This TV is connected to the Kuro how? Didn't Panasonic buy out the Pioneer Kuro design team or something? I didn't think that Sharp had anything to do with the Kuro name. Are you sure that this TV is in any way related to the Kuro Elites, or are they just calling it an "Elite" to get people's attention? Seems like something that Sharp might do. Thread title is misleading IMO.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

This TV is connected to the Kuro how? Didn't Panasonic buy out the Pioneer Kuro design team or something? I didn't think that Sharp had anything to do with the Kuro name. Are you sure that this TV is in any way related to the Kuro Elites, or are they just calling it an "Elite" to get people's attention? Seems like something that Sharp might do. Thread title is misleading IMO.

hartsickdiscipl

Yeah, Kuro was the name of the plasma technology behind the Kuro displays. I think this is just an "Elite" branded Quattron.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
This HDTV doesn't look all that elite, just overpriced. The L75-A91 costs far less, and I doubt that any LCD would touch that laser DLP set in terms of image quality (provided it's not one of the iffy ones). It might not be a perfect replacement for the aperture grille CRT, but laser DLP seems like the closest I'm going to get so far...then plasma. (But the image retention issues with plasma panels, even today, makes me worry about how susceptible to burn-in they are relative to high-end CRTs.)
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mozelleple112

I got the Kuro part wrong so I edited that. but Sharp is a major shareholder in Pioneer and they now own the Elite brand and are using it for their new Sharp TVs, and they are apparently inheriting the great engineering of Pioneer :?

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hartsickdiscipl

I got the Kuro part wrong so I edited that. but Sharp is a major shareholder in Pioneer and they now own the Elite brand and are using it for their new Sharp TVs, and they are apparently inheriting the great engineering of Pioneer :?

Mozelleple112

I'd like to put that LED/LCD next to my Panasonic VT25 and see just how great it really is.

blakostructor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 blakostructor
Member since 2008 • 1536 Posts

I fail to see how any display at that size while only being 1080p is necessary. You could buy one for half the size and sit closer to it, it'd have the same exact effect. They really need to start stepping up the resolutions.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChubbyGuy40

They really need to start stepping up the resolutions.

blakostructor

Why when there's zero content, besides PC games, to support it? :|

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mozelleple112

I fail to see how any display at that size while only being 1080p is necessary. You could buy one for half the size and sit closer to it, it'd have the same exact effect. They really need to start stepping up the resolutions.

blakostructor

I found out that optimal viewing distance while watching a blu-ray on the Samsung PND8000 64" is less than 3 metres (10ft) I'd say about 8-9 feet, no more.

If the pictures good you can sit incredibly close.

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

Sharp is making these? I thought Panasonic bought Pioneer's plasma technology and so they would be the ones to make an Elite TV. Sharp cant make any decent HDTV's right now. What makes it so Elite?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mozelleple112

Sharp is making these? I thought Panasonic bought Pioneer's plasma technology and so they would be the ones to make an Elite TV. Sharp cant make any decent HDTV's right now. What makes it so Elite?

demonic_85
A little thing called copyrights.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

[QUOTE="blakostructor"]

They really need to start stepping up the resolutions.

ChubbyGuy40

Why when there's zero content, besides PC games, to support it? :|

PC games (and other applications) are reason enough in my book. Then again, I always thought of HDTVs as computer monitors with generally higher sizes and lower resolutions compared to top-of-the-line monitors because they cater to TV standards, not computer standards.
KINZERS13GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KINZERS13GTR
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
This isn't just a re-branded SHARP. Pioneer backed out of their own plasma production, as it wasn't cost effective/profitable in the current market. Pioneer and Sharps engineers are using Sharps production line to get their best tech out on the market, with a no compromise approach. Pioneer would never allow someone the rights to simply slap their prized "ELITE" badge onto a mediocre "DISPLAY", simply for a small percentage of market share. They want a true performing product, that will be worthy of the name, to carry on the reputation of being called "The Best Displays available". If any of you have ever seen a High End RUNCO LCD. You should know that an LCD at its best, is in fact capable of ELITE PLASMA image quality. In any case, if you look up a more reputable review of the set, you will hear a similar story. The New ELITE LCD sets.... are mind blowing! And so far... have been called "better" than the previous KURO plasma Sets!
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NVIDIATI

This isn't just a re-branded SHARP. Pioneer backed out of their own plasma production, as it wasn't cost effective/profitable in the current market. Pioneer and Sharps engineers are using Sharps production line to get their best tech out on the market, with a no compromise approach. Pioneer would never allow someone the rights to simply slap their prized "ELITE" badge onto a mediocre "DISPLAY", simply for a small percentage of market share. They want a true performing product, that will be worthy of the name, to carry on the reputation of being called "The Best Displays available". If any of you have ever seen a High End RUNCO LCD. You should know that an LCD at its best, is in fact capable of ELITE PLASMA image quality. In any case, if you look up a more reputable review of the set, you will hear a similar story. The New ELITE LCD sets.... are mind blowing! And so far... have been called "better" than the previous KURO plasma Sets!KINZERS13GTR
Why are you bumping a thread from months ago?

Also Pioneer already slaps their Elite badge on their mediocre recievers. This is no exception, and its not at the level of the Kuro plasmas, while it does some things better, there are still a few hichups. This display already suffers from the limitations of LCDs, far from mind blowing. Mind blowing was back in 2008 with the launch of the ninth generation Kuro displays. That said by no means is this a bad TV. Easily one of the best if not the best LCD, and up there with higher end plasmas.

Then again we also can't forget about Panasonic's VX300.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mozelleple112

[QUOTE="KINZERS13GTR"]This isn't just a re-branded SHARP. Pioneer backed out of their own plasma production, as it wasn't cost effective/profitable in the current market. Pioneer and Sharps engineers are using Sharps production line to get their best tech out on the market, with a no compromise approach. Pioneer would never allow someone the rights to simply slap their prized "ELITE" badge onto a mediocre "DISPLAY", simply for a small percentage of market share. They want a true performing product, that will be worthy of the name, to carry on the reputation of being called "The Best Displays available". If any of you have ever seen a High End RUNCO LCD. You should know that an LCD at its best, is in fact capable of ELITE PLASMA image quality. In any case, if you look up a more reputable review of the set, you will hear a similar story. The New ELITE LCD sets.... are mind blowing! And so far... have been called "better" than the previous KURO plasma Sets!NVIDIATI

Why are you bumping a thread from months ago?

Also Pioneer already slaps their Elite badge on their mediocre recievers. This is no exception, and its not at the level of the Kuro plasmas, while it does some things better, there are still a few hichups. This display already suffers from the limitations of LCDs, far from mind blowing. Mind blowing was back in 2008 with the launch of the ninth generation Kuro displays. That said by no means is this a bad TV. Easily one of the best if not the best LCD, and up there with higher end plasmas.

Then again we also can't forget about Panasonic's VX300.

Pioneers receivers are mediocre? : / http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/62/98/405/SC-LX90/index.html
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Pioneers receivers are mediocre? : / http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/62/98/405/SC-LX90/index.html

It's definitely...interesting. It's a good processor paired with an underwhelming amp unit. 550W power supply for a claimed 10ch @ 140W/ch. Just doesn't add up. It probably sounds pretty good, but I'd be afraid to push it very hard.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mozelleple112
[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Pioneers receivers are mediocre? : / http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/62/98/405/SC-LX90/index.html

It's definitely...interesting. It's a good processor paired with an underwhelming amp unit. 550W power supply for a claimed 10ch @ 140W/ch. Just doesn't add up. It probably sounds pretty good, but I'd be afraid to push it very hard.

I've seen plenty of amazing home theater setups using SC-LX70/LX90 receivers from Pioneer.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Pioneers receivers are mediocre? : / http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/62/98/405/SC-LX90/index.htmlPS2_ROCKS

You would also come to realise that the $7500 price tag is insane.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

Me and my Denon AVR-1612 do just fine :P Love that MultiEQ system, best Calibration I've used in quite a while.

I like Pioneers, they make good recievers. I was looking at the Elite VX-40 in the price range I got my Denon ($350-400).

Alas, they sold out as part of a holiday sale.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mozelleple112

Me and my Denon AVR-1612 do just fine :P Love that MultiEQ system, best Calibration I've used in quite a while.

I like Pioneers, they make good recievers. I was looking at the Elite VX-40 in the price range I got my Denon ($350-400).

Innovazero2000
I've got the Denon AVR-1911. Its beastly :P
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts
[QUOTE="Innovazero2000"]

Mozelleple112
I've got the Denon AVR-1911. Its beastly :P

Yeah, my first Denon. Always heard good things about em, love the sound.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
My goodness man, the way people fanboy those Kuro displays it's as if everyone owns one. Fact is this Sharp TV is probably going to be around $5000 and with that i could buy: Better projector DIY screen as large as your heart desires More mid-range speaker system ISF calibration Boatload of actual movies and games Netflix for a year Get my Ps3 fixed Probably finish the bathroom renovation Maybe some headphones and a PC overhaul?
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NVIDIATI

My goodness man, the way people fanboy those Kuro displays it's as if everyone owns one. Fact is this Sharp TV is probably going to be around $5000 and with that i could buy: Better projector DIY screen as large as your heart desires More mid-range speaker system ISF calibration Boatload of actual movies and games Netflix for a year Get my Ps3 fixed Probably finish the bathroom renovation Maybe some headphones and a PC overhaul?X360PS3AMD05

While I can't speak for anyone else I do actually own a Kuro, and after using it for a couple of years it still manages to hold its own. The Sharp Elite TVs are more than $5000, which just makes the whole thing that much more ridiculous. Also you seem to have quite the 'to-do' list.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts
Many Pioneer receivers are mediocre. They use digital amps which are still not as good as an analog amp. As for the TV's, I just read over a Home Theater Magazine review and all-in-all they like the set saying it is the brightest 3D image and performs very closely to the Pioneer Elite. That being said, it wasn't able to to reproduce the deepest blacks or the accurate colors as well as the Pioneer Kuros. In the end they sum it up by saying it may be the best flat panel set by a nose, but that doesn't seem to be the logical outcome if you read the review. Sounds more like they are caving into the marketing pressure to give a great review as Sharp spent a lot of money on ads with the Elite. Having been subscribing/reading the audio/video magazines for over a couple of decades now, this is common and you learn to read into the reviews for the real nitty-gritty:-)
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hartsickdiscipl

Many Pioneer receivers are mediocre. They use digital amps which are still not as good as an analog amp. As for the TV's, I just read over a Home Theater Magazine review and all-in-all they like the set saying it is the brightest 3D image and performs very closely to the Pioneer Elite. That being said, it wasn't able to to reproduce the deepest blacks or the accurate colors as well as the Pioneer Kuros. In the end they sum it up by saying it may be the best flat panel set by a nose, but that doesn't seem to be the logical outcome if you read the review. Sounds more like they are caving into the marketing pressure to give a great review as Sharp spent a lot of money on ads with the Elite. Having been subscribing/reading the audio/video magazines for over a couple of decades now, this is common and you learn to read into the reviews for the real nitty-gritty:-)rastan

I'm glad to see that somebody can read between the lines.