The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Discussion (FAQ, Help, Information)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nutDAVE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 nutDAVE3
Member since 2003 • 18277 Posts
Please keep all discussion relating to Oblivion in this thread. Read the first post (this one) before asking a question, as it probably answers your questions.

Latest Patch:Look here

Websites:

GameSpot game space
Portals to the review, and the Oblivion GameSpot message board.

ElderWiki Oblivion Wiki
Includes information on quests, guilds, an item list, vampirism, and the Daedra Shrines (among other things).

GameWiki Oblivion Wiki
A more indepth Wiki, including information on quests, combat, lock picking, cheats, glitches, weapons, housing, quests, and spells (among other things).

UESP Oblivion Wiki
Probably the most indepth of all the Wikis I have listed. Includes information about races, system requirements, quests, guilds, horses, mods, as well as screenshots, save games, and mods (among other things).

ElderScrolls.com
The official page for Oblivion. Includes a link to the forums at the top, where there's great information about tweaks and other game play tips and hints.

VGGuides Oblivion Wiki
Graphics tweaks, and information similar to the ElderWiki guide.

Bit-Tech Performance Guide
A more general performance guide.

Firing Squad Performance Guide

A performance guide comparing video cards ranging from the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT to the ATI Radeon X1900 XTX.

TweakGuides.com Tweak Guide
A guide which covers the different video options, how they look, and how they affect the performance.

GameSpot Game Guide
An in-depth guide to Oblivion. GameSpot subscribers can download the guide.

Oldblivion
A tweak to allow Oblivion to work on computers with older components.

FAQ:

How do I drop items?
Shift+left-click.

Where can I buy lock picks?
From the Theives Guild fences. They're also available from a guy leaning against a wall near the Chestnut Handy Stables (which is near the west gate of Imperial City).

How do I recharge magic weapons?
People in the Mages Guild will recharge your magical weapons for a fee (albeit a pricy one too).

Where can I find a spell?
They're available at the Mages Guilds at the following locations:
  1. Alteration spells - Cheydinhal
  2. Illusion spells - Bravil
  3. Conjuration spells - Chorrol
  4. Destruction - Skingrad
  5. Mysticism - Leyawiin
  6. Restoration - Anvil (or any church)
Where are the houses I can buy?
With the exception of the house on the waterfront area of Imperial City (which can be purchased in the market district from the Imperial Trade Commission), all houses need the approval of the local Count. In order to buy these houses from the local Count, you need to have a high fame rating. Here they are:
  1. Imperial City - 2000 G
  2. Anvil - 5000
  3. Bravil - 4000 G
  4. Bruma - 10000 G
  5. Cheydinhal - 15000 G
  6. Chorrol - 20000 G
  7. Leyawin - 7000 G
  8. Skingrad - 25000 G
The Anvil house is the only one which includes all the furnishings.

How do I kill Dread Zombies and Will-o-Wisps?
Fire and lighting, respectively.

I'm a vampire! Help!
See the above websites for lots of information about vampirism. However, a cure disease potion taken within three days of contraction cures vampirism (which I highly recommend; the quest to cure vampirism after three days has passed is a royal pain in the ass).

Where can I find Ninroot?
In and around the water.

Which merchants have a lot of gold?
The ones in the Imperial City market district have a crap load, especially the salesman at "A Fighting Chance".

What are the Daedra Shrines?
They offer some really, really, really good loot. There's a good map of where they are here. The Wikis above have some information on them.

Where can I buy official add-ons?
On this page. Most items are $1.99.

Technical:

Can I run Oblivion?
Possibly. Check out the System Requirements Lab page, and run the test for Oblivion.

Minimum System Requirements:
  1. Windows XP, 2000
  2. 512MB RAM
  3. 2GHz Pentium 4 (or AMD equivalent)
  4. 8x DVD-ROM drive
  5. 4.6 GB HDD space
  6. 128 MB video card
Recommended System Requirements:
  1. 3GHz Pentium 4 (or AMD equivalent)
  2. 1 GB RAM
  3. ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series (or higher)
Supported Video Cards:
  1. ATI X1900 series
  2. ATI X1800 series
  3. ATI X1600 series
  4. ATI X1300 series
  5. ATI X850 series
  6. ATI X800 series
  7. ATI X700 series
  8. ATI X600 series
  9. ATI Radeon 9800 series
  10. ATI Radeon 9700 series
  11. ATI Radeon 9600 series
  12. ATI Radeon 9500 series
  13. NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
  14. NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
  15. NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
  16. NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
  17. NVIDIA GeForce FX series
* Some material taken from Stop being so tense! The Oblivion FAQ and Information thread at the Something Awful forums.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
.·´¯`·->GameSpot Tackles The Age Old Question: Which Is It Better On!?! Xbox 360 vrs The PC<-.´¯`·.

NEW:

GameSpot's Oblivion Hardware Performance Guide

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
Reserved For Future Use...
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts

Oblivion owns, let the question asking begin, so I can answer the questions, and increase my post count.

maggedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 maggedus
Member since 2004 • 2471 Posts
ooh.....so the horse armor is for sale now....
nutDAVE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nutDAVE3
ooh.....so the horse armor is for sale now....maggedus
Yes.  I'd wait to buy it, though.  It seems that there are a lot of technical issues with their downloader and activating the item.

Plus, I just don't see how it's worth $2.  On the other hand, the Mages Guild housing and that new Quest that's going on sale soon looks really fun, and I definitely want to buy it.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 ccgod
Member since 2003 • 7915 Posts
Now I have to repost my armor 8)

Heres my Armor

ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ccgod
[QUOTE="nutDAVE3"]
Yes. I'd wait to buy it, though. It seems that there are a lot of technical issues with their downloader and activating the item.

Plus, I just don't see how it's worth $2. On the other hand, the Mages Guild housing and that new Quest that's going on sale soon looks really fun, and I definitely want to buy it.

Hopefully they will release the files so that mods can make there own armor then we can get horse armor for free :)
maggedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 maggedus
[QUOTE="maggedus"]ooh.....so the horse armor is for sale now....nutDAVE3
Yes.  I'd wait to buy it, though.  It seems that there are a lot of technical issues with their downloader and activating the item.

Plus, I just don't see how it's worth $2.  On the other hand, the Mages Guild housing and that new Quest that's going on sale soon looks really fun, and I definitely want to buy it.

Oh yeah....the housing ones do look quite appealing.  I wonder what the price range for these add-ons will be?
They could create a semi-expansion and sell it for like $10-15.
youngbloodza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 youngbloodza
Member since 2004 • 6577 Posts
[QUOTE="nutDAVE3"]
Yes. I'd wait to buy it, though. It seems that there are a lot of technical issues with their downloader and activating the item.

Plus, I just don't see how it's worth $2.

I agree. I barely ever use my horse anyways. I'd pay if they implemented horseback riding attacks.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WhiteSnake5000
Now I have to repost my armor 8)

Heres my Armor

ccgod
Those Imperial Guards with the Gold armor, as so damn hard to kill... But one time, I attacked an Argonian for the Vampire Cure quest, and these guards just got in a big huge battle against each other, like one Guard attacked the other, then all these other guards came  after this one guard, but then this Guards attacked each other, yeah confusing, but I got alot of dead Guards, and sold their armor.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ccgod
What armor does the unicorn get??
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ccgod
[QUOTE="ccgod"]Now I have to repost my armor 8)

Heres my Armor

WhiteSnake5000
Those Imperial Guards with the Gold armor, as so damn hard to kill... But one time, I attacked an Argonian for the Vampire Cure quest, and these guards just got in a big huge battle against each other, like one Guard attacked the other, then all these other guards came after this one guard, but then this Guards attacked each other, yeah confusing, but I got alot of dead Guards, and sold their armor.

I'v never seen guards with gold armor where are they??
nutDAVE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nutDAVE3
Those Imperial Guards with the Gold armor, as so damn hard to kill... But one time, I attacked an Argonian for the Vampire Cure quest, and these guards just got in a big huge battle against each other, like one Guard attacked the other, then all these other guards came after this one guard, but then this Guards attacked each other, yeah confusing, but I got alot of dead Guards, and sold their armor.WhiteSnake5000
Haha, that's awesome!  Did you cast a Frenzy spell on the guards?  That's so entertaining.  Just cast the spell on an NPC, and if he's near another NPC, he'll start attacking that NPC instead of you.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ccgod
*SPOILERS*

Ok so I beat the main quest and some times when you talk to people they say you look just like your statue? ne1 know where this is??
maggedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 maggedus
[QUOTE="nutDAVE3"] [QUOTE="maggedus"]ooh.....so the horse armor is for sale now....youngbloodza

I agree. I barely ever use my horse anyways. I'd pay if they implemented horseback riding attacks.

Horseback riding attacks.......that's what I was talking about in the old thread.  They should've allowed for archery while riding horses.  If they could make it an official add-on, I'd buy it for sure.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ccgod
[QUOTE="youngbloodza"] [QUOTE="nutDAVE3"] [QUOTE="maggedus"]ooh.....so the horse armor is for sale now....maggedus

Horseback riding attacks.......that's what I was talking about in the old thread. They should've allowed for archery while riding horses. If they could make it an official add-on, I'd buy it for sure.

They could have sword attacks as well like in Dynasty warriors or how they attack on horse back in movies
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhiteSnake5000
[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]Those Imperial Guards with the Gold armor, as so damn hard to kill... But one time, I attacked an Argonian for the Vampire Cure quest, and these guards just got in a big huge battle against each other, like one Guard attacked the other, then all these other guards came after this one guard, but then this Guards attacked each other, yeah confusing, but I got alot of dead Guards, and sold their armor.nutDAVE3
Haha, that's awesome!  Did you cast a Frenzy spell on the guards?  That's so entertaining.  Just cast the spell on an NPC, and if he's near another NPC, he'll start attacking that NPC instead of you.

No, it was probably an A.I glitch of some sort, after everyone was dead I talked to one of the guards, and I got a fine, but I didn't pay it, I just ran off and sold the armor, and went to Armand so I could get rid of the fine.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ccgod
[QUOTE="nutDAVE3"] [QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]Those Imperial Guards with the Gold armor, as so damn hard to kill... But one time, I attacked an Argonian for the Vampire Cure quest, and these guards just got in a big huge battle against each other, like one Guard attacked the other, then all these other guards came after this one guard, but then this Guards attacked each other, yeah confusing, but I got alot of dead Guards, and sold their armor.WhiteSnake5000
Haha, that's awesome! Did you cast a Frenzy spell on the guards? That's so entertaining. Just cast the spell on an NPC, and if he's near another NPC, he'll start attacking that NPC instead of you.

No, it was probably an A.I glitch of some sort, after everyone was dead I talked to one of the guards, and I got a fine, but I didn't pay it, I just ran off and sold the armor, and went to Armand so I could get rid of the fine.

Maybe the guards were protecting you?? it happend to me I broke into this guys house to kill the vamps in the basement but when they came to arrest me the vamps where about to attack so the town guard fought them and killed them for me
Avatar image for Jordanbarrantes
Jordanbarrantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Jordanbarrantes
Member since 2005 • 309 Posts

that armor good

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhiteSnake5000
[QUOTE="ccgod"]
[QUOTE="nutDAVE3"] [QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]Those Imperial Guards with the Gold armor, as so damn hard to kill... But one time, I attacked an Argonian for the Vampire Cure quest, and these guards just got in a big huge battle against each other, like one Guard attacked the other, then all these other guards came after this one guard, but then this Guards attacked each other, yeah confusing, but I got alot of dead Guards, and sold their armor.WhiteSnake5000
Haha, that's awesome! Did you cast a Frenzy spell on the guards? That's so entertaining. Just cast the spell on an NPC, and if he's near another NPC, he'll start attacking that NPC instead of you.

Maybe the guards were protecting you?? it happend to me I broke into this guys house to kill the vamps in the basement but when they came to arrest me the vamps where about to attack so the town guard fought them and killed them for me

I guess so, but it didn't make much sense, the area where I smacked the Argonian, just went into a big battle. One of my Assasins, from the Darkbrotherhood got murdered by a guard as well. Now I only have 1 left... Gold well the awesome looking armor. There is the standard Imperial armor, then there is the cool one.
conor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 conor123
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
can my radeon X300 run this game?

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts
anyone know where i can get a cyrodilic brandy or make myself look less attractive, i need both
metalXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 metalXIII
Member since 2005 • 2446 Posts

Im on the mission where you have to goto the mom of these like 4 kids, well actually there adults, but you have to find them and she thinks that your some gift delievery person.

Small Spoiler-

I cant figure out how to kill the girl who is the guard.

ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ccgod

Im on the mission where you have to goto the mom of these like 4 kids, well actually there adults, but you have to find them and she thinks that your some gift delievery person.

Small Spoiler-

metalXIII

Unless you have completed the thieves guild and got the special item then you'll just have to kill her and pay the fine
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ccgod
[QUOTE="conor123"]can my radeon X300 run this game?

run it yes playable barly
killer_joel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 killer_joel
Member since 2004 • 65 Posts

I'm experiencing a bug in Oblivion. I loaded an autosave once and i couldnt move. my arms were cut off my body and flying, then i tried to mouse-scroll to see the rest of my body and the game crashed. Also, same thing happened when i picked a chest in a elven ruin. The pick window closed, i got the items, then i was stuck again, arms non-moving and stuck in mid-air. If this has happened to you before, what am I supposed to do or what is causing this problem?

thx!

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 halokillerz

I'm experiencing a bug in Oblivion. I loaded an autosave once and i couldnt move. my arms were cut off my body and flying, then i tried to mouse-scroll to see the rest of my body and the game crashed. Also, same thing happened when i picked a chest in a elven ruin. The pick window closed, i got the items, then i was stuck again, arms non-moving and stuck in mid-air. If this has happened to you before, what am I supposed to do or what is causing this problem?

thx!

killer_joel

it might be your computer

killer_joel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 killer_joel
believe me, 3.2 GHz HT. 1GB RAM DDR2, geForce 6800 is enough. Besides, it hasn't happened before!
nutDAVE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nutDAVE3
I added two performance guides, and one tweak guide to the first post.  Please read them before asking "how will my computer run Oblivion lol?????????????" or any similar questions.

killer_joel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 killer_joel
I went into a cave: Piukanda, which is North-West/North of Imperial City. It is only in THAT specific cave that the bug occurs. plus, now, all my recent saves are bugged. I can't even open them anymore, for when the loading screen finishes, it flashes black-loading screen. How come it only happens in this particular cave? If nothing works, I'll have to go back down to level 11.
killer_joel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 killer_joel
did any bug in this cave happen to anybody else?
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WhiteSnake5000
believe me, 3.2 GHz HT. 1GB RAM DDR2, geForce 6800 is enough. Besides, it hasn't happened before!killer_joel
I think he meant, drivers issues, not your systems power.
metalXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 metalXIII
Member since 2005 • 2446 Posts
[QUOTE="metalXIII"]

Small Spoiler-

ccgod

Unless you have completed the thieves guild and got the special item then you'll just have to kill her and pay the fine

Ok so the theives guild has a special item that does what? Also are you sure there is no other way to do it, I dont want to pay a 1000 gold fine for like a 500 gold payment.

youngbloodza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 youngbloodza

ccgod

What's the special item?

*spoiler* Is it the cowl? *spoiler*

killer_joel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killer_joel
i tried installing ForceWare recent drivers but it would screw up my color/resolution settings. I had to roll back.
ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ccgod
[QUOTE="ccgod"] Unless you have completed the thieves guild and got the special item then you'll just have to kill her and pay the fine

youngbloodza

What's the special item?

*spoiler* Is it the cowl? *spoiler*

*SPOILER* yea you can commit ne crime with the grey fox mask on then when you  take it off there is no more bounty on your head
youngbloodza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 youngbloodza
Where can I find someone to recharge my god dam weapon? I had to kill a certain character for a quest, who happened to be in the MAges Guild. Now I've been kicked out, and they won't give me services anymore. Anywhere else I can get them recharged?
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WhiteSnake5000
alright wtf, I thought there were only 16 Oblivion gates??? After closing down 16, I found 2 more afterwards. Dude they are so annoying, but easy.

ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ccgod
alright wtf, I thought there were only 16 Oblivion gates??? After closing down 16, I found 2 more afterwards. Dude they are so annoying, but easy.
 WhiteSnake5000

I hate having to find my way into the towers but once inside its very easy
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WhiteSnake5000
[QUOTE="ccgod"]
WhiteSnake5000

Yeah, their just plain easy... I'm just saying that their annoying because you stumble up one every 10 minutes.
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 halokillerz

[QUOTE="ccgod"] [QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]alright wtf, I thought there were only 16 Oblivion gates??? After closing down 16, I found 2 more afterwards. Dude they are so annoying, but easy.
WhiteSnake5000

Yeah, their just plain easy... I'm just saying that their annoying because you stumble up one every 10 minutes.

make that every 2 minutes

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 halokillerz

[QUOTE="ccgod"] [QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"]alright wtf, I thought there were only 16 Oblivion gates??? After closing down 16, I found 2 more afterwards. Dude they are so annoying, but easy.
WhiteSnake5000

i just skip every one that i find cause its so annoying especially when you find one while you r on a quest

ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ccgod
Female wood elf VS. Bruma town guard

I WON!!
Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts
[QUOTE="ccgod"]Female wood elf VS. Bruma town guard

I WON!!

:lol::lol::lol:
Someone1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Someone1221
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts

Hey All,

Thinkin bout getting a new comp and definitely want to buy oblivion.  The video card I am getting is a Radeon X1300 Pro.  Will Oblivion run on a high graphic setting with this card?

ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ccgod

Hey All,

Thinkin bout getting a new comp and definitely want to buy oblivion.  The video card I am getting is a Radeon X1300 Pro.  Will Oblivion run on a high graphic setting with this card?

Someone1221

If ur building a new comp y would u get that crappy of a vid card

kostyakuzmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kostyakuzmin
Member since 2006 • 1817 Posts
[QUOTE="ccgod"]Female wood elf VS. Bruma town guard

I WON!!

What is your level???? :shock: And what is difficulty???
shadow_X_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 shadow_X_16
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]