This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LedZeppelin1977
LedZeppelin1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 LedZeppelin1977
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

Just wondering what the good members of Gamespot think is the best MMO on the market today.

Lord of the Rings Online Shadow of Angmar

World of Warcraft

Guild Wars

EverQuest 2

Runescape

these are just a few that come to mind, please suggest more and don't forget to vote.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts
substitue runescape for FFXI or even ragnarok and ill be happy. after all runescape may be popular but its about as fun as watching paint dry. now if u dont mind excusing me i have to go take bets that blue paint finally dries faster than its arch enemy. RED!
SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
WoW wins and runescape shouldnt even be on the list...seriously :|
gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gamerwiz09
Member since 2006 • 820 Posts
LOTRO FTW!
chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 chatri10
Member since 2002 • 752 Posts
Guild War is not mmorpg.
shdeclue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 shdeclue
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I don't like Guild Wars much, but I don't think of it as not being an MMORPG. Since everything MMO is compared to WoW, think of Guild Wars as a reverse WoW. Less open areas where you are able to interact with everyone else, and many, many more instances. Actually, 90% instance.

Ok, dumb comparison, but either way, GW is just a smaller scale MMORPG.

I played WoW for a year or so before I quit, and it's probably the best MMORPG out right now. Do I have th emost fun playing it, however? No. I'd prefer to play a different MMO. But it's the best designed game on the market.

I just don't play it.

stryker1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stryker1234
Member since 2004 • 2436 Posts

Runescape was actually a very fun game for me.. maybe you werent playing it right :P. but WoW wins.

funnybunny12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 funnybunny12
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts

It isn't about what you like personally, it's about what's more popular. Runescape is actually pretty popular. Most people play because either they can only play browser games, they can only afford $5 a month, or they like the game. The game is good for me with friends, but it pisses me off when they say it's crap for me to play WoW and pay $15 for a game every month when they are paying HUNDREDS of dollars for next gen consoles... -.-" PC is all you need, people! Ever...

Of course WoW is more popular, but FFXI should be up there. ;)

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts
LMFAO @ RUNESCAPE.
LedZeppelin1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LedZeppelin1977

I loved Runescape for about 2 years then i went on to WoW and thought it was really awful and Finally i moved onto LOTRO which is working out really well, I wouldn't go as far as calling runescape bad it's pretty good as an introduction to mmo's

LedZeppelin1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LedZeppelin1977
hello anybody
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

From my experience of playing almost every good MMO out their ive found the best (not just my favorites but the best designed etc) are:

1. FFXI- By far the most intricate and well made MMO out there with the best storylines and the biggest and best looking world you can explore, some dont like it though due to the fact its much harder than most MMO's and takes more time. If your up the the challenge it wont disappoint.

2. WoW- Obviously WoW has to be on the list lol, its very well made, good world and an overall really good MMO.

3. Ragnarok- This is one of my very first MMO's ive ever played and its still one of my favorites, good characters and quests, and the whole feel of the game is very well done.

Theirs more but ill just mention my top 3.

LedZeppelin1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LedZeppelin1977

Gotta admit I played WoW for a while and I was lef thinking "god this game is overated"

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Remove Guild Wars (not MMO) and Runescape (crap) and add DAoC, EVE, UO.
WestleyViau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 WestleyViau
Member since 2006 • 138 Posts
Try Diablo II: LoD, over over 50,000 people still play it :)
Airek49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Airek49
Member since 2003 • 1081 Posts
Hate it or love it, WoW hands down.
chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 chatri10
Member since 2002 • 752 Posts

Remove Guild Wars (not MMO) and Runescape (crap) and add DAoC, EVE, UO.RK-Mara

Agree. DAoC, EVE, and UO, are among the best mmorps out there. GW is not mmo and Runscape sux.

finch9600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 finch9600
Member since 2004 • 87 Posts
guild wars is an MMO by all means. is it a persistent world? no. is it massively multiplayer? yep. online? yep! RPG? yep!!! M.M.O.R.P.G. it really depends on who you are. if you like lots and lots of people and flexibility to do what you want, I'd go with WoW. if you're a bargain gamer looking to blow some time til the summer is over then go play Runescape and get your fix. if you are a hardcore player looking for a challenge and better combat/party system than WoW, go with FFXI. i haven't played guild wars that much honestly but it seems to cater to gamers who like MMO combat but dont want the fee. my favorite of all of them is probably WoW for its accesiblity, freedom of choice (until endgame), and universe.
Skyfaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skyfaze
Member since 2007 • 219 Posts

Runescape was actually a very fun game for me.. maybe you werent playing it right :P. but WoW wins.

stryker1234
WoW wins yes..but Runescape took a year and 4 months of my life..I regret it..haven't been the same since :(
Marine152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Marine152
Member since 2005 • 922 Posts
FFXI BY all means is the best. The worlds are so vast and story line is awsome for an MMORPG. Its the most rewarding and most intricate. Sure its a little old but still Great. At least in FFXI you dont feel like your running through TOYLAND like in WoW. WoW would still be atleast second on my list though :)
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
EQ2 (Before it became WoW Jr.), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, WoW, and LOTR:O, in order from best to least great (All are/were fun, though). Oh, and WoW is evil btw.
Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

I played WoW, I had a 70. I'm done with that game and need it to be destroyed by another mmo. Wow steals men's souls and makes them it's slaves. Although what is a man if not just a dirty pile of secrets?

Toxidude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxidude
best FREE MMORPG is 9 Dragons... some guys tested xD
kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
Wow is an incredibly achievement, I think its the best
Mooch174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mooch174
Member since 2004 • 556 Posts
I've only played FFXI and WoW but of the two I like FFXI better. They are both boring and repetative at times but FFXI is a much more intersting world to play in, and has way more variety in terms of character classes to play, and the people in it are less annoying on average.
cifru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cifru
Member since 2005 • 2211 Posts
WoW wins, still i need to Check LOTR. but i'm not impressed by GW
KetsuekiSaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KetsuekiSaya
WoW for me - I *tried* to play FFXI but I couldn't even get logged in, and got super crappy support :P So I said screw this and went straight back to WoW.
LedZeppelin1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LedZeppelin1977
why does everyone seem to be obsessed with WoW does it brian wash you on the log in screen or something?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Ragnarok for me
SSJ4Gareth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SSJ4Gareth
Member since 2003 • 206 Posts
why does everyone seem to be obsessed with WoW does it brian wash you on the log in screen or something?LedZeppelin1977

Its one of those games you either love or hate, such as halo

Personally I love the game, and I don't feel addicted like many non wow player will say, but I play it often because I generally enjoy the game. At level 70 theres plenty of items to collect designed for your c lass (why the hell is that word censored?) and plenty of dungeons to explore in order to get them.

And if you prefer pvp then jump into an 80 man Alterac valley battle, to gain honour points which you can spend on more decent kit, or arena with 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5 where you have a rating and are matched up against equally rated teams.

But I must be honest, the wow patches blizzard have been implementing lately seem to lack any effort, and they need a good kick in the balls from a decent competitor before this changes. Thats why I'm hoping warhammer online and LOTRO do very well.
FunkyMonkeyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 FunkyMonkeyX
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i played guild wars for 2 years and I'd say its more well known for as a pvp based game. Oh and its not really an mmo, just an rpg online.
adamus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 adamus007
Member since 2007 • 852 Posts
I enjoyed WoW LOTRO equally.......so yea TIE!
onlinegamefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 onlinegamefan
Member since 2008 • 100 Posts
WoW
mezro01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 mezro01
FFIX does not challenge your skill as a gamer. FFIX is constructed to impede the fun factor you get out of video games. Video games is suppose to be fun, but FFIX has a way to make it feel like RL work*. You pay extra $$ for additional characters, the user interface is user un-friendly, there are lag/stutter issues, the main quests requires ridiculous amount of time to accomplish (5-6 hours) a day, everyone ends up having the same looking clothes/armor at certain levels, tech support is non-existant, and last but not least your character gets deleted forever after 3 months of unsubscribing and they make you pay for the game again if you decide to play a year later. (Game becomes invalid after 3 months of unsubscribing also) I call that highway robbery! Good things about it was how the economy worked and subjobs.. that's about it. FFIX thank god was not on the list.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Both WoW and LoTRO are great games and easily tie for first IMO. Guild Wars and EQ2 both got boring fast. I started off modern MMO's playing Asheron's Call and have yet to find any other MMO with the same random item drops that it had. Mix that with the regular monthly updates and events and it is hard to beat. Heck the game is still going with a hardcore fan base.
Avatar image for deactivated-59cfb94f07a73
deactivated-59cfb94f07a73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59cfb94f07a73
Member since 2009 • 102 Posts

EQII is deep, balanced, has superior graphics, music and sound, and has *by far* the best social interaction mechanisms of any MMO. And after all, if that wasn't important, then we'd all just play single-player games, wouldn't we?

The guild system really works, and group play is challenging and satisfying. And so far, SOE hasn't found a way to ruin it yet :-)

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]Remove Guild Wars (not MMO) and Runescape (crap) and add DAoC, EVE, UO.chatri10

Agree. DAoC, EVE, and UO, are among the best mmorps out there. GW is not mmo and Runscape sux.

in GW you can communicate and play with anyone who is online and you don't need to add the 20 characters of one of your friends into your friends list. for me GW in this sense feels more MMO than WoW, in which i cannot communicate with friends who are spread all over different servers.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
No Warhammer love here? WAR's PvP is unmatched. I've never had so much fun in a MMO than in this one for that sole reason. And this is coming from someone who was traditionally PvE/solo focused. Almost cancelled my sub because the pve in this game lacks a little, then I decided to actually play the RvR a bit and now I'm hooked.
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#40 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]Remove Guild Wars (not MMO) and Runescape (crap) and add DAoC, EVE, UO.chatri10

If UO you mean Ultima Online. The game use to be good a long time ago. I wouldn't really consider it fun anymore. They kinda killed it with artifacts and riding beetles.
Emin188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Emin188
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i'm playing Metin2 it's MMORPG its nice so if somebody playing PM me my

name in game is nutela....

BYe

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
I've tried most of the ones you mentioned and got bored in the end. Got into Eve recently and i'm having the best mmo experience ever
Avatar image for deactivated-59cfb94f07a73
deactivated-59cfb94f07a73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59cfb94f07a73
Member since 2009 • 102 Posts
I've tried most of the ones you mentioned and got bored in the end. Got into Eve recently and i'm having the best mmo experience everSamiRDuran
How in the world did I overlook Eve? Won't call it perfect, but I just might call it a near-perfect MMO. In fact I'm real glad you mentioned it - I'm twisting in the wind right now for lack of the next big thang in MMOs, and I just might go back to Eve. Best endgame there is, great balance, best PvP there is, tremendous graphics . . . the only thing holding it back is you fly your craft and seldom see "yourself" as a person in the game. Which people like to do, naturally . . .
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

No Warhammer love here? WAR's PvP is unmatched. I've never had so much fun in a MMO than in this one for that sole reason. And this is coming from someone who was traditionally PvE/solo focused. Almost cancelled my sub because the pve in this game lacks a little, then I decided to actually play the RvR a bit and now I'm hooked.TheCrazed420

It applies everywhere including PC gamers: They can't think outside the box or look around for true quality.