TES: Morrowind - Construction Set Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Vholch (41 posts) -

Hello. Since you have to register to be able to ask for help in the Gamespy forums for The Elder Scrolls, I thought that I could just rather ask it here.

I know that it's probably an incredibly stupid question, but I thought that it would be possible and so, I wanted an answer. So basicly, my question is 'How usefull is the Construction Set for Morrowind?' I have seen some people making mods and such. But Im just curious about what the possibilities could be with such a game combinded with a powerfull Editor.

So Im wondering. Is it possible to use the Morrowind Editor to create a whole new universe? Pretty much a whole new game, but with the same graphics. I mean I just briefly looked around the editor. And I came to see that you can spawn some object, so Im pretty sure that you can, but I thought that it'd be easier and quicker to just ask here :)

If the answer is 'yes' I would really love to give 110% into a modding project :D

Have a nice day. And thanks in advance!

//Vholch

#2 Posted by gamerguy845 (2074 posts) -
I attempted to use the editor but gave up on. While it's true you can make amazing things with the editor, there are limitations like no new custom races, and other limits that prevent you from making an entirely different universe, but I would see what you can come up with on your own.
#3 Posted by Vholch (41 posts) -

That was a quick reply. And thanks! :D Ill see what I can cook up. I have always had these ideas for my own personal Game Universe, And since I cant code a game engine, I figured that this Editor could be a good way to enhance the ideas.

#4 Posted by gamerguy845 (2074 posts) -
Don't get to ahead of yourself, you'll have to look up guides and stuff if you really want to know how to make towns, battles, dungeons, etc.
#5 Posted by morrowindnic (1541 posts) -

The editor is what the devs used to create Morrowind. You can definintly create a game from scratch. But don't expect much by just doing it by yourself. There is also A LOT of stuff to learn about the how to use the editor.

#6 Posted by Cenerune (588 posts) -

Hello. Since you have to register to be able to ask for help in the Gamespy forums for The Elder Scrolls, I thought that I could just rather ask it here.

I know that it's probably an incredibly stupid question, but I thought that it would be possible and so, I wanted an answer. So basicly, my question is 'How usefull is the Construction Set for Morrowind?' I have seen some people making mods and such. But Im just curious about what the possibilities could be with such a game combinded with a powerfull Editor.

So Im wondering. Is it possible to use the Morrowind Editor to create a whole new universe? Pretty much a whole new game, but with the same graphics. I mean I just briefly looked around the editor. And I came to see that you can spawn some object, so Im pretty sure that you can, but I thought that it'd be easier and quicker to just ask here :)

If the answer is 'yes' I would really love to give 110% into a modding project :D

Have a nice day. And thanks in advance!

//Vholch

Vholch

I used morrowind toolset a good load so I can answer your questions.

Yes it is entirely possible to create your own universe from scratch, you can make a game from scratch in it so long it sort of follows the same type of game as morrowind. You can push the boundaries and be creative and technically could produce a game in a similar but different genre as well but I didn't went there so I could not confirm.

I'm far from being a scripting guru so what I did within the toolset was mostly gameplay tweaks, balancing changes, texture swapping, new races, models importation, new birthsigns, new items, new npc's, conversations, interior and exterior level design. What I can confirm is that it's a powerful, versatile toolset. A good way to get started would be for you to create an interior area with a few items and a npc with a small conversation if you wanna get a grasp on it.

#7 Posted by Adam_the_Nerd (4403 posts) -
I remember my time with the Neverwinter Nights editor: 5 hours and i only got the tutorial to my game done. I gave up right there.
#8 Posted by Vholch (41 posts) -

Heh. Well even though Morrowind is kind of old. I will still do my best to amaze you :)

#9 Posted by Vholch (41 posts) -

The only thing I could se myself learning at the moment would be to make 3D models and stuff :o - Is that possible as well? And if it is. Where can I get the right resources to actually do it? :)

#10 Posted by Cenerune (588 posts) -

The only thing I could se myself learning at the moment would be to make 3D models and stuff :o - Is that possible as well? And if it is. Where can I get the right resources to actually do it? :)

Vholch

You need a 3d software like 3ds max, maya, blender or whatever else there is for the model and an image editing software like photoshop, technically I believe Gimp could do it too. Trust me however, it's actually quite a pain to learn and a totally different beast with little relations to morrowind.

If you plan to import your own models in Morrowind, you need a compatible 3d software. You should get yourself some 3rd party converter (fan made softwares) to import and export textures in the right formats used for the game, I think Blender was actually pretty good for morrowind (3d software).

Since you are a begginer however I would advise you to get a grasp of the relationship of 3d models, textures and the toolset before you do anything. You really should start by making small simple things with the toolset before attacking yourself to something beastly like making your own universe.

#11 Posted by Vholch (41 posts) -

You mentioned that you could create custom Races. Is it possible to create custom Classes, and maybe spells for the magicians?

If it's possible. How hard is it for a complete Constructive Set noob :)

#12 Posted by Vholch (41 posts) -

With 'custom classes' I meant if you could modify the Major and Minor skills that you can choose :)

#13 Posted by athenian29 (2011 posts) -

You mentioned that you could create custom Races. Is it possible to create custom Classes, and maybe spells for the magicians?

Vholch
Easier than for me. I don't even have Oblivion, just Morrowind. And nobody makes Morrowind Construction Set tutorials anymore. :(
#14 Posted by Vholch (41 posts) -

Im also using Morrowind :o Hence the Thread title :P

#15 Posted by athenian29 (2011 posts) -

Im also using Morrowind :o Hence the Thread title :P

Vholch
Oh...
#16 Posted by Cenerune (588 posts) -

Vholch

Sorry for the late answer, yes you can create classes too, it's actually one of the easiest thing to do so it's very nooby friendly. Spells can be made as well but they are somewhat limited to the effect you already have access ingame with the spell making system. New spell effects are not possible as far as i know unless you pull some scripting voodoo magic.

The toolset is not that bad to figure out actually, mess around with it a bit and you should get pretty handy with it. I don't personally remember where everything is located since I haven't touched it since 2007 and used so many different toolsets but if you try and open up almost everything you should find out what is where. If I remember you access new classes from the menu up top under one of the option tabs, it's there somewhere.