Team Fortress 2 controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dman777dman777 (97 posts) -

Hmm....this involves software and hardware so I hope it's ok if it goes in this forum.

I am thinking about getting the Microsoft 360 controller to play Team Fortress 2 on the PC. Does anyone know if it works ok with this game?

#2 Posted by weirjf (2392 posts) -
It is hard enough to stay alive with a K/M. Don't expect to last more than a few seconds using a controller...
#3 Posted by solid_mario (3144 posts) -
It is hard enough to stay alive with a K/M. Don't expect to last more than a few seconds using a controller...weirjf
I agree with what wierjf said but I've heard that the 360 controller is compatible with most games. You could try the steam forums to see if it works with other steam games and maybe post there.
#4 Posted by D9-THC (3081 posts) -

I'm sure it works...but why?

I would be surprised if you could get a single kill without a keyboard and mouse.

#5 Posted by zero9167 (14554 posts) -
You're better off just learning to use mouse and keyboard
#6 Posted by dman777dman777 (97 posts) -
Really? That sucks. I have a computer job and I use the mouse so much there is no way I could come home and play TF2 with a keyboard and mouse. It would kill my hand. Would I have more of a chance surviveing playing the Xbox 360 console version where others use the controller? Or do they use a K/M as well?
#9 Posted by D9-THC (3081 posts) -

Really? That sucks. I have a computer job and I use the mouse so much there is no way I could come home and play TF2 with a keyboard and mouse. It would kill my hand. Would I have more of a chance surviveing playing the Xbox 360 console version where others use the controller? Or do they use a K/M as well?dman777dman777

When you say a computer job do you mean graphic design or CAD design or something like that?

Because I'm a network admin and my hand is on a mouse pretty much every waking moment of every day and my hand never hurts. Maybe your mouse/surface needs some upgrading/rearranging/padding?

You will consistantly be the worst or close to the worst person on your team if you use a gamepad...if that's ok with you then go for it but I'm too competitive to let that happen.

#10 Posted by Citan76 (1178 posts) -
You make me sad... :(
#11 Posted by weirjf (2392 posts) -

Really? That sucks. I have a computer job and I use the mouse so much there is no way I could come home and play TF2 with a keyboard and mouse. It would kill my hand. Would I have more of a chance surviveing playing the Xbox 360 console version where others use the controller? Or do they use a K/M as well?dman777dman777

So do I. If you hold the mouse right, buy the right mouse for your hand, and make sure your wrist is always supported you shouldn't have issues with your wrists (also set mouse sensitivity UP so you have to move it less). Working out helps also. I toss a 25lb weight into the air and catch it with the other hand over and over again until myhands and shoulders burn. I get no tendon pain at the end of the day even though some days I go home and right back onto the computer to work more or play some games.

#12 Posted by spam-Robot (653 posts) -
I guess you could be an engineer, or maybe a medic or heavy, they really don't have to aim as much.
Avatar image for easykill_astari
#13 Posted by easykill_astari (704 posts) -

I just want you all to know , the xbox360/pc game controler does NOT work whit TF2 .... there is no way in the TF2 menus to register it or to make it work , if anyone find a way , please tell me , thanks

#14 Posted by Termite551 (1125 posts) -
There are ways to get it to work, but you should google and find them yourself.
#15 Posted by Cdscottie (1872 posts) -
Computer job? What type of job? I do server migrations for a living and like D9, my hand is always on a mouse and I have no problems with it.
#16 Posted by --Ryu-- (232 posts) -
No, the analog movement is messed up. In order to get it to work you need to download a program called XPadder. It is extremely easy to setup and works perfectly. My roommate uses it when we play TF2 together, because he likes controller better.
#17 Posted by ferrari2001 (17762 posts) -
ur gonna get PWNED!!
#18 Posted by Meu2k7 (11809 posts) -

Beleive me, if you use computers at work, and any kind of games at home, your likely to be effected later in life, most of us here have to accept that.

Controllers are just as bad for your hands ... especially vibration.

#19 Posted by WARxSnake (2154 posts) -

Hmm....this involves software and hardware so I hope it's ok if it goes in this forum.

I am thinking about getting the Microsoft 360 controller to play Team Fortress 2 on the PC. Does anyone know if it works ok with this game?

dman777dman777

are you insane? good luck..

#20 Posted by pudding75 (25 posts) -
Im pretty sure that tf2 isn't compitable with the 360 controller but there is a logitech controller that is compatible with every single pc game.
#21 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
Team Fortress 2 + controller != Team Fortress 2.
#22 Posted by murat8 (10362 posts) -
i hear there are ways but i couldnt figure it out its not like bioshock were u click use 360 controller sadly i almost made it work but i could not get the right analog stick to work
#23 Posted by sharky_dkb (210 posts) -

type in "exec 360controller" in the console, enter. It's surprisingly not that bad as long as you aren't trying to snipe/kill scouts

#24 Posted by Bumzur (560 posts) -
They made the game with the 360 controlliner in their thoughts. I remember it being pretty good.
#25 Posted by MyopicCanadian (8345 posts) -
The controller works ok, but it is gonna be rough if you're a class that has to aim a lot. The game has native 360 support, as someone already mentioned you can type a command in the console and then it'll all be mapped like how it is on the Xbox 360. My wrists used to get sore at work, so I started using primary lefty while I'm at the office. It helps balance the wear on your wrists.
#26 Posted by Steel_Toad (25 posts) -
You can use a keyboard mapper. I use Pinnacle Game Profiler, it cost me $20 and works with everything that doesn't support a gamepad. You can download a 30 day trial and import the following Team fortress 2 profile into PGP: http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21182 ST
#27 Posted by martinX3X (4488 posts) -

why the hell would you use a controller for a FPS on PC?

#28 Posted by YoshiYogurt (6008 posts) -
Don't use a controller. The game's already hard, don't make it any harder!
Avatar image for thatOTHERguy888
#29 Posted by thatOTHERguy888 (25 posts) -
Why is everyone against using a controller for a pc first person shooter? i dont see what the big deal is.
#30 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

360 Controller works for L4D2 and TF2.

#31 Posted by scottahuch (1580 posts) -
Why is everyone against using a controller for a pc first person shooter? i dont see what the big deal is.thatOTHERguy888
Slower aiming, turning, and less accurate. Playing with one is a big disadvantage.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
#33 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7515 posts) -

Why is everyone against using a controller for a pc first person shooter? i dont see what the big deal is.thatOTHERguy888

Capped turning speed = less accuracy = fail

#34 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

I work with indesign and photoshop 5 days a week all day, then I come home and play PC games most nights, it never is uncomfortable for me whatsoever. You either have a terrible mouse/keyboard or you're holding the mouse at an improper angle. There's no way I'd play any FPS on PC without a mouse.

#35 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6427 posts) -

TF2 supports the 360 controller but you need to go to your console with the ~ key above tab and then type in exec 360controller it should auto fill and then hit enter and the game will work like the 360 version. To undo it you need to type in exec undo360controller in the console. I would personally not recommend using a controller you simply cannot play the game the same way you can with a m/kb several of the classes are badly gimped when playing with a controller. The soldier for instant rocket jumping is a big part of the class and you can't do that nearly as well with a controller scout relies heavily on being able to out manever his enemies while scoring quick accurate shots at close range even the heavy is bad since this isn't cod where one bullet from your very accurate fully automatic gun with low recoil will kill your enemies you need to be able to keep fire on a moving enemy long enough to kill them and quickly change target as needed to be effective as a heavy. TF2 is a game that needs a m/kb to enjoy it to the fullest extent.

#36 Posted by trijity (810 posts) -

Surprised nobody noticed the necro-thread yet ;P

#37 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6659 posts) -

this is what i use. this helps me a whole lot when i want to get around quickly as a scout, or circle around a heavy setting him on blaze as a pyro.

#38 Posted by JKnaperek (2023 posts) -
[QUOTE="dman777dman777"]

The Xbox 360 controller IS compatible with TF2. I also use it...sort of. Most of these posters aren't able to think "outside the box". I use the half-controller/mouse setup. I toggled the left analog for movement while still retaining the accuracy of the mouse for aiming and I constantly lead the leaderboards everynight. This is the only game I use this setup for. I use K/M for all other fps games. Now go back through and re-read the inaccuracies in peoples' statements, know that this is the majority of posters-- always take their comments lightly as they're almost always skewed by ignorance in some way.
#39 Posted by C_Rule (9816 posts) -
Resurrected three times... Wow.
#40 Posted by Rahnyc4 (6659 posts) -

TF2 supports the 360 controller but you need to go to your console with the ~ key above tab and then type in exec 360controller it should auto fill and then hit enter and the game will work like the 360 version. To undo it you need to type in exec undo360controller in the console. I would personally not recommend using a controller you simply cannot play the game the same way you can with a m/kb several of the classes are badly gimped when playing with a controller. The soldier for instant rocket jumping is a big part of the class and you can't do that nearly as well with a controller scout relies heavily on being able to out manever his enemies while scoring quick accurate shots at close range even the heavy is bad since this isn't cod where one bullet from your very accurate fully automatic gun with low recoil will kill your enemies you need to be able to keep fire on a moving enemy long enough to kill them and quickly change target as needed to be effective as a heavy. TF2 is a game that needs a m/kb to enjoy it to the fullest extent.

DJ_Headshot
what your doing doesn't sound comfortable at all. i tried using a xbox 360 and a mouse set up and i twas just impossible to get comfortable with. there's better alternatives out there, man.