This topic is locked from further discussion.

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

Should i get it on steam having in mind I've never played a SH game and SH1 is not on steam so I can't play that one first ? Its 30% off.

jiz.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Uhm, yeah, get it.  One of the best hybrid RPGs, ever.  Personally, I'd spend the extra $3 and get DRM free from GoG but, Steam or not, it's a very good game.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
It's a great game. I still have the physical copy somewhere. The first one I believe is considered freeware now.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Fantastic game but it's not perfect. Respawning enemies and clunky gameplay might make it hard to get into it. Don't care what anyone says, the gameplay didn't age well at all. It's extremely cumbersome when it doesn't need to be

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I just got it since I never played it back in 1999 so it's my first experience, loving it so far. Also you can't go wrong with $6.99 on steam.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I'm thinking about getting it.

Reviews of the game on GameRankings and Metacritic are superb, and I've heard that the game is challenging which would be a breath of fresh air especially in a generation of casualisation.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Fantastic game but it's not perfect. Respawning enemies and clunky gameplay might make it hard to get into it. Don't care what anyone says, the gameplay didn't age well at all. It's extremely cumbersome when it doesn't need to be

seanmcloughlin

How has it "not aged well" and what exactly is "clunky" and "cumbersome" about it?  

Color me perplexed....

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

-wildflower-

How has it "not aged well" and what exactly is "clunky" and "cumbersome" about it?  

Color me perplexed....

Respawning enemies constantly in a game where backtracking is very prevelant is bad game design. It makes the enemies annoying. Also switching between cyber powers and guns and wrenchs etc. is all click and drag when it could made much simpler. Default controls are also a joke but luckily they can be changed.

It's still a great game though and I didn't say the gameplay was bad, just that it didn't age well. Things could have been made more streamlined and intuitive. Atmosphere,story and all that stuff is still top notch though

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Color me perplexed....

Respawning enemies constantly in a game where backtracking is very prevelant is bad game design. It makes the enemies annoying. Also switching between cyber powers and guns and wrenchs etc. is all click and drag when it could made much simpler. Default controls are also a joke but luckily they can be changed.

It's still a great game though and I didn't say the gameplay was bad, just that it didn't age well. Things could have been made more streamlined and intuitive. Atmosphere,story and all that stuff is still top notch though

Don´t enemies respawn just during alarm period? I played it for the first time when it came out on gog and I don´t recall any respawning aside from when you´re detected and until either the timer stops or you deactivate the security system. Unless it´s a difficulty setting thing,I played on the normal one.
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
Get it! It's an amazing game. And like some people said that it 'not aged well'. BS it still plays great for a 14 year old game (from 1999 I think) f fancy graphics, gameplay and story telling is where it's at..
Zyamaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Zyamaman
Member since 2006 • 1783 Posts

Respawning enemies constantly in a game where backtracking is very prevelant is bad game design.

Respawning enemies in a survival-horror FPS is"bad game design"? I'm sorry, what?..

It's actually outstanding game design - respawning enemies, coupled with limited resources and degrading equipment reinforces the tension and causes you to allways stay on your toes, without having to resort to cheap-ass, pick-a-boo scare tactics, ala Doom 3. The brilliance of it is that you're not allowed even a single moment of safety - you're always in mortal peril, no matter where you are.This game is one of the few truly scary videogames out there. And for comparison, I played through Dead Space (the first one), and found it absolutely dull and unimaginative.This game was praised for it's creepy and tense atmosphere when it first came out, and we would be lucky if more modern games followed suit...

And that's not to mention the fact that as a game with (almost? I don't remember) no NPC interactions, making the enemies non-respawning would make the game feel barren and dead.

And the back-tracking isn't nearly as bad as you make it sound - you unlock shortcuts later in the game.

It makes the enemies annoying. Also switching between cyber powers and guns and wrenchs etc. is all click and drag when it could made much simpler.

The guns are bound to the number keys, and the cyber-powers can be cycled by a shortcut key. Switching between them is as quick and intuitive as it is in any FPS.

Default controls are also a joke but luckily they can be changed.

It's still a great game though and I didn't say the gameplay was bad, just that it didn't age well. Things could have been made more streamlined and intuitive.

Maybe next time you should invest a bit longer than fifteen minutes into a game before you start sounding criticism...

Atmosphere,story and all that stuff is still top notch though

seanmcloughlin

OptiSTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OptiSTR
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

I just got it since I never played it back in 1999 so it's my first experience, loving it so far. Also you can't go wrong with $6.99 on steam.

Ballroompirate
lol trust me you can... a week ago I lost 4$ on the most shitty and broken game ever