Switch over from Nvidia to AMD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xeffectx
Member since 2004 • 227 Posts

The only reason I was sticking with nvidia was because of stable drivers and now since that is coming into question, how are AMD drivers nowadays any improvements for single gpus only. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

For single GPUs both have been pretty similar for me, driver-wise.

What card do you have currently?

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

I haven't had any real issues with the drivers.

The only issue I had with this GPU wasn't really a driver issue.  For efficiency purposes the GPU would drop it's memory and gpu speeds down when idle.  The problem with this was the speeds would drop too low and lock up the system.  I had to open up one of the .xml files and adjust the settings to fix the problem, you can't change the settings in the software provided by AMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

I haven't had any real issues with the drivers.

The only issue I had with this GPU wasn't really a driver issue.  For efficiency purposes the GPU would drop it's memory and gpu speeds down when idle.  The problem with this was the speeds would drop too low and lock up the system.  I had to open up one of the .xml files and adjust the settings to fix the problem, you can't change the settings in the software provided by AMD

whitey_rolls
Grey screen of death? I had that problem with my 5870 a few years back.
xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xeffectx

Postmortem123
I currently have 680 2GB OC I need more vram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

xeffectx

Wait for the new AMD card then, it's not far off. Or go for a 780 if you can find a good deal. What you running out of vram on?
xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xeffectx

[QUOTE="xeffectx"][QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

Postmortem123

Wait for the new AMD card then, it's not far off. Or go for a 780 if you can find a good deal. What you running out of vram on?

Blacklight retribution, Skyrim modded, just to name a few.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Yeah modded Skyrim really eats up VRAM. Do you run at 1920x1080?

xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xeffectx

Yeah modded Skyrim really eats up VRAM. Do you run at 1920x1080?

Postmortem123
1200P
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

The only reason I was sticking with nvidia was because of stable drivers and now since that is coming into question, how are AMD drivers nowadays any improvements for single gpus only. 

xeffectx

nvidia drivers and AMD drivers are about the same quality wise, the area that AMD lags behind is multiple card setups but they fixed most of that with the latest drivers

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I'm using my first AMD card, and I love it. No issues so far. And the morphological AA option is awesome for games that don't support SSAA, like Dead Space 2 and Fallout w/ an ENB mod. MLAA gets rid of all of the jaggies with almost no performance hit, and you can enable it for any game...
xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xeffectx

hmm sounds good guys will definately look into it. Question now is should I get the 20nm later next year or the 28nm that will be relvealed in a couple of days. 

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

hmm sounds good guys will definately look into it. Question now is should I get the 20nm later next year or the 28nm that will be relvealed in a couple of days. 

xeffectx
Word on the street is the new AMD cards are going to be pretty impressive... I get waiting for 20 nm but I guess it depends how bad you need a card.
xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xeffectx

yea heard that too but its so far away lol

SeanD1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SeanD1972
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
So OP you left physX behind eh ?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
I'm using my first AMD card, and I love it. No issues so far. And the morphological AA option is awesome for games that don't support SSAA, like Dead Space 2 and Fallout w/ an ENB mod. MLAA gets rid of all of the jaggies with almost no performance hit, and you can enable it for any game...superclocked
Nvidia can do the same with FXAA.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superclocked
[QUOTE="superclocked"]I'm using my first AMD card, and I love it. No issues so far. And the morphological AA option is awesome for games that don't support SSAA, like Dead Space 2 and Fallout w/ an ENB mod. MLAA gets rid of all of the jaggies with almost no performance hit, and you can enable it for any game...kraken2109

Yeah, but FXAA leaves a bright line of pixels around dark objects. I imagine it would be pretty awful for games like Dead Space. 3D is where nVidia really shines compared to AMD at the moment. But I'm hoping that AMD and nVidia cards will work equally well with the Oculus Rift...
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="superclocked"]I'm using my first AMD card, and I love it. No issues so far. And the morphological AA option is awesome for games that don't support SSAA, like Dead Space 2 and Fallout w/ an ENB mod. MLAA gets rid of all of the jaggies with almost no performance hit, and you can enable it for any game...superclocked

Yeah, but FXAA leaves a bright line of pixels around dark objects. I imagine it would be pretty awful for games like Dead Space. 3D is where nVidia really shines compared to AMD at the moment. But I'm hoping that AMD and nVidia cards will work equally well with the Oculus Rift...

Can't say i've noticed that but I don't use FXAA in that many games. I turn it on in-game on CSGO and Skyrim, but GTA4 is the only game I use control panel for it.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

single card setups, AMD is great, as in no glitches/issues (50+ game library on steam). Especially when drivers mature for the series there is usually no real difference between AMD&nvidia. When its new architecture, nvidia seems to have a slight advantage in a few games with better drivers. But AMD catches up pretty quick anyways.

If you want a multi gpu setup then I don't know what to say, never had one before and can't comment but people do say AMD's multi gpu has more issues than nvidias. So if you're going single, get the AMD, and if you want to do crossfire, be aware that there may be some issues.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

For me, it wasn't about the drivers but the software that adjusts the settings for the GPU. AMD always has problems with their cheap software, but Nvidia simply works for me.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I had an HD6870 and now have an HD7950 and have had no driver issues at all.  The worst I had to deal with was getting a beta driver when Rage released.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

For me, it wasn't about the drivers but the software that adjusts the settings for the GPU. AMD always has problems with their cheap software, but Nvidia simply works for me.

Barujin
What settings?
Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Barujin

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

Postmortem123

What settings?

You know: Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control Panel. What else would I mean?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

I meant what are these settings you're changing. 

Nvidia's Control Panel and AMD's do exactly the same things as far as I can tell, and if anything Nvidia's feels "cheaper". I was just wondering what you meant.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Barujin

Nvidia's Control Panel and AMD's do exactly the same things as far as I can tell, and if anything Nvidia's feels "cheaper". I was just wondering what you meant.

Postmortem123

Many features of Catalyst don't work right. The presets, for example, have been broken for a long time. I also had trouble for a while with Catalyst taking a long time to show on screen. Also, AMD doesn't allow turning off A.I., something that would improve quality. I had to do it manually in the text file. I can't remember all of the problems with it. I just remember that there were a lot of them. A fancy appearance doesn't mean much if it doesn't work right. As for Nvidia, everything works properly (that I've tried, anyway). Plus, I can even adjust more settings in the drivers using Nvidia Inspector which simply enables me to change the built-in settings that aren't shown in the Nvidia Control Panel. When I tried something similar with AMD, it was very frustrating to get it working perfectly.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 superclocked

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

Barujin

Many features of Catalyst don't work right. The presets, for example, have been broken for a long time. I also had trouble for a while with Catalyst taking a long time to show on screen. Also, AMD doesn't allow turning off A.I., something that would improve quality. I had to do it manually in the text file. I can't remember all of the problems with it. I just remember that there were a lot of them. A fancy appearance doesn't mean much if it doesn't work right. As for Nvidia, everything works properly (that I've tried, anyway). Plus, I can even adjust more settings in the drivers using Nvidia Inspector which simply enables me to change the built-in settings that aren't shown in the Nvidia Control Panel. When I tried something similar with AMD, it was very frustrating to get it working perfectly.

How long ago was that? The only things that I had to change in a text file were the default clock speeds and voltage, so my overclock would remain constant instead of the card simply flickering back and forth between my overclock speed and stock speed....
Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Barujin

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

superclocked

How long ago was that? The only thing that I had to change in a text file was the default clock speeds, so my overclock would remain constant instead of the card simply flickering back and forth between my overclock speed and stock speed....

You should read about it. The options for A.I. (which automatically adjust texture quality and such) don't actually allow turning it off. They used to, though. The option still exists in the text file, though. The last time I used a Radeon was before buying my Nvidia 760.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

I've never had problems with catalyst not showing, though it did take a while sometimes. I never used presets or  AI so i couldnt say. Last time i had AMD i just uninstalled Catalyst as i never used it. Just a drain on my boot times.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Barujin

I've never had problems with catalyst not showing, though it did take a while sometimes. I never used presets or AI so i couldnt say. Last time i had AMD i just uninstalled Catalyst as i never used it. Just a drain on my boot times.

Postmortem123

I love customizing my settings, especially for brightness, contrast, and color. I wouldn't even bother getting a graphics card without the custom settings.

xeffectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xeffectx

So OP you left physX behind eh ?SeanD1972
I can live without PhysX.