Surround sound system (300 GBP budget)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bulby_g (1854 posts) -

Hey all,

I'm about to upgrade my TV and surround sound in the lounge so I'm all set for the new console gen. My old surround sound system has crapped out and tv speakers are making me cry so I'm doing that first!

My main requirement is that I want wireless back speakers. I don't much care if this is achieved through a separate device or built in to the system. I don't really keep up with to date with these sorts of speaker systems so what would you suggest? I have separate Hi Fi speakers so it's strictly for games and films.

So far I've found Samsung HT-E5500 + SWA5000 for £360 combined. Open to better suggestions though (especially if they are within budget!).

#2 Posted by l34052 (3778 posts) -

Personally i would avoid completely all those all in one systems, sure they make a noise but its a 'jack of all trades, master of none' approach to surround sound that after a short while you prob wont be happy with.

You say you have speakers for hifi use so why not buy a surround amp and use those speakers as fronts and then buy the other speakers and and when funds allow, the sound quality even with stereo front speakers will be a quantum leap over tv sound and even some of those awfull all in one solutions.

Have a look in Richer Sounds for some great deals on AV amps and speakers.

#3 Posted by bulby_g (1854 posts) -

Well all my stereo equipment is in another room with my turntables so I can't make use of them for the TV unfortunately. An all in one solution will have to do as there is no way I can stretch to anything else. I know it isn't ideal but when it comes to TV and games I'm much less fussed than with my music set up.

#4 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6976 posts) -

There really isn't a lot of options in the 300 GBP range regardless of where you live, but if you buy from the Americas you have at least opened up a few more possibilities.

In Norway, we got something called "Argon" which is designed by Scandinavias largest audiophile chain, the whole purpose of the brand is cheap audio that is affordable to everyone, yet still "hi-fi" quality, so to speak. They make bookshelf speakers for around £70-80 and they have a 5.1 surround that costs meerely £280! Much better than any HTiB. Includes an 8 inch sub woofer.. Is there something similiar in the UK? Locally made that is more or less exclusive to that store. The US has plenty of these kinds of things if you can pick up something like Jet Carrier, which ships up to 50 kg (!!!) from the US to your country for no more than about £30 you could look at something like Andrew Jones' Pioneer 5.1 or the Energy Take Classic 5.1 and pay £30 extra for shipping to the UK.

#5 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6976 posts) -

Another thing you could do.. Go to the UKs version of Ebay / Craigslist and look what the used market has to offer, you'll always get so much better deals there. Try search words for familiar brands to the hi-fi world that have cheap affordable range of speakers.. E.g. wharferdale, PSB, Dayton, Harman / Kardon etc.. I've seen plenty of 5.1 speakers in norway being sold for just less than 200 pounds, including receiver!

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

Budget AV reciever like this Denon (£140)

Then some budget but decent bookshelf speakers like these Wharfedales (£50 per pair, buy 2)

I'm no expert on centre speakers, but to fit your budget maybe something like this wharfedale? (£90)

That's a fairly decent 5.0 system for £330, it should produce reasonable bass levels without a sub (enough for music and most films, but some films will want more), but you will probably want to save up for a decent sub too.

Also you'll need some speaker cable.

#7 Posted by bulby_g (1854 posts) -

Wow OK, that could work very nicely. I didn't even know you could get reasonable speakers for that price, I'm used to looking at B&W etc.

So this sort of set up will sound better than an all in one for Movies/Game then? I could take a punt at this lot. Don't mind holding off on the sub for a bit until I can afford one.

#8 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6976 posts) -

Wow OK, that could work very nicely. I didn't even know you could get reasonable speakers for that price, I'm used to looking at B&W etc.

So this sort of set up will sound better than an all in one for Movies/Game then? I could take a punt at this lot. Don't mind holding off on the sub for a bit until I can afford one.

bulby_g
Yes.. there are plenty of audiophile brands that do their best to keep prices as low as possible (made in china etc) What Kraken posted is possibly your best bet as far as new goes.. if you want 5.1 (with sub woofer included) for 300 pounds you'll need to look at used wharferdale, dalis, PSB, polk, etc
#9 Posted by NVIDIATI (8452 posts) -

@Kraken

If he's planning on going the Wharfdale route, why not just save a little and jump for the Diamond 9 HCP?

DIAMOND 9 HCP (UK VERSION ONLY)

#10 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

@Kraken

If he's planning on going the Wharfdale route, why not just save a little and jump for the Diamond 9 HCP?

DIAMOND 9 HCP (UK VERSION ONLY)

NVIDIATI
Didn't know it existed. How is it? I just know that a lot of all in one sets have small satellites and bad sound. That looks good to me.