Supreme Commanders A.I is the worst I've ever seen.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
Seriously, I tried versing it in easy and medium and it is pathetic. First off it can't build properly, by the time I'm building my super units it's still stuck on T1 and 2 units. It never attack except I think once on medium. Also when I was trying to move some of my units instead of the ones around them moving aside automatically the units were just bumping into each other and taking ages to get out.
They also can't shoot right, there was a scout in my base and some of my units started firing...at my own base, they couldn't tell the building was blocking their line of site and ended up damaging a power plant rather than the scout. Same with mountains or anything. :?

The huge units like the Fatboy just clips through everything as well it just drives through walls, buildings, turrets ect.

Does anyone else have this? I mean I've seen some pretty average A.I in games but this is HORRIBLE and the clipping is so obvious I wonder how the hell they missed it.
Amir_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Amir_1
Member since 2003 • 2372 Posts
your avatar says it all.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darklord888
your avatar says it all.Amir_1
Yeah that I like RTS games.....
EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#4 EyeNixon
Member since 2004 • 1412 Posts
your avatar says it all.Amir_1

Don't start bias against him because of his avatar, I have a Apocalypse Now avatar but it's far from my favorite Vietnam film.
Lds_Ricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Lds_Ricky
Member since 2007 • 354 Posts

It's obvious that this thread is pointless....I hope it dies right away :)....after my post of course. You're biasim is noted my C&C loving friend....

I also like both Supreme Commander and C&C but you don't see me running around posting my opinions....do us a favor and keep them to  your self please :)

Samuraidragons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Samuraidragons
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

Umm im sorry but i thought you where allowed to state your opinion on forums, but he was also asking does anyone else have the same problem answear him instead of getting all stuck up over a game.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darklord888
Jesus christ I have a kane avatar and everyone thinks I'm bias. Heres a crazy thought guys....maybe I like RTS games the most and not just some idiot C&C fanboy posting flame bait?

This isn't system wars you know and I'm not a fanboy. My point still stands I still think it has really really bad A.I and if you have nothing to add than "omg c&c bias!" then don't bother posting.
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
play it on hard then.
EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EyeNixon
I think what he's saying is that there are problems with the AI that aren't solvable no matter what difficulty it's played on. Units shooting indefinitely into a mountain for example.
whoisduley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whoisduley
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i agree with the part about firing into mountains, but that takes 2 seconds of micromanagement to fix.

Also you're biased.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 113871999
Member since 2003 • 283 Posts

Seriously, I tried versing it in easy and medium and it is pathetic. First off it can't build properly, by the time I'm building my super units it's still stuck on T1 and 2 units. It never attack except I think once on medium. Also when I was trying to move some of my units instead of the ones around them moving aside automatically the units were just bumping into each other and taking ages to get out.
They also can't shoot right, there was a scout in my base and some of my units started firing...at my own base, they couldn't tell the building was blocking their line of site and ended up damaging a power plant rather than the scout. Same with mountains or anything. :?

The huge units like the Fatboy just clips through everything as well it just drives through walls, buildings, turrets ect.

Does anyone else have this? I mean I've seen some pretty average A.I in games but this is HORRIBLE and the clipping is so obvious I wonder how the hell they missed it.darklord888

Then you havn't played many games then, SupCom's A.I. is awesome

geraldus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 geraldus
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts

Played both games, or better, SC and C&C DEMO, and for me the winner is.....C&C 3.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darklord888

[QUOTE="darklord888"]Seriously, I tried versing it in easy and medium and it is pathetic. First off it can't build properly, by the time I'm building my super units it's still stuck on T1 and 2 units. It never attack except I think once on medium. Also when I was trying to move some of my units instead of the ones around them moving aside automatically the units were just bumping into each other and taking ages to get out.

Does anyone else have this? I mean I've seen some pretty average A.I in games but this is HORRIBLE and the clipping is so obvious I wonder how the hell they missed it.113871999

Then you havn't played many games then, SupCom's A.I. is awesome

I've played 5 games vs the A.I and all are the same.
LukeStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 LukeStarkiller
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I think that we might be playing different games o.o Supreme commander is much better than C&C
EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EyeNixon
I think that we might be playing different games o.o Supreme commander is much better than C&CLukeStarkiller

That's called an opinion friend.
zenephi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zenephi
When I was playing a demo skirmish on hard, it was basically a race to get the big units out first so there wasn't a whole lot of fighting going on.  The computer won the race (this was before I figured out how to build the experimental units), but thanks to my amazing defense and the monkeylord's lazer fizzling out just before it could totally fry my commander I was able to get in close and give it an overcharge blast.  Soon after, I finished the nuke launcher and launched my first nuke at the AI's base, taking out its experminental development area.  Very satisfying indeed!  A few minutes later I sent a spy plane to recon the base and I was very suprised to see that missile defense systems were popping up all over the remainder of the base, which was still quite large.

Conclusion:  In my experience the AI is very adaptive to the techniques being used against it.
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
Apocalypse Now was a strange vietnam film, but not bad at all
EyeNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EyeNixon
When I was playing a demo skirmish on hard, it was basically a race to get the big units out first so there wasn't a whole lot of fighting going on. The computer won the race (this was before I figured out how to build the experimental units), but thanks to my amazing defense and the monkeylord's lazer fizzling out just before it could totally fry my commander I was able to get in close and give it an overcharge blast. Soon after, I finished the nuke launcher and launched my first nuke at the AI's base, taking out its experminental development area. Very satisfying indeed! A few minutes later I sent a spy plane to recon the base and I was very suprised to see that missile defense systems were popping up all over the remainder of the base, which was still quite large.

Conclusion: In my experience the AI is very adaptive to the techniques being used against it.
zenephi

I think SupCom's AI is very efficient, but I hardly think it's very smart, it's great at building an economy, defense, and an army without cheating, but it hardly responds to certain types of attacks or units very well (for example, they won't build more AA if you constantly attack them with airborne units) there are lots of games that feature this now, but at least SupCom's AI is efficient.

Artoso: Yes, it is a good film.
AntWrig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AntWrig
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Umm im sorry but i thought you where allowed to state your opinion on forums, but he was also asking does anyone else have the same problem answear him instead of getting all stuck up over a game.

Samuraidragons

Actually, his avatar does make a difference. That is like me having an avatar of Jesus Christ and I am talking about hating satan.
ds_radeon9200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 ds_radeon9200

Chris Taylor, the same creator that made Total Annihilation. Now those who played T.A. would immediately understand that Supreme Commander and T.A. are known to be one of the most modable rts games. Total Annihilation had an unbelievably crappy A.I. Many mods were later created that were specifically meant to harden the difficulty of the A.I. and the same will happen to Supreme Commander. I assure you all, that in a few months, hundreds of mods will become available and I'm pretty sure that more than one of them will make the A.I. more difficult. Until then, just enjoy the game. Not all games are pefect, but they are just meant to simply entertain.

Lds_Ricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lds_Ricky
Member since 2007 • 354 Posts

It's obvious this guy will not change his mind! He's a Biased fanboy!

zenephi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zenephi

Actually, his avatar does make a difference. That is like me having an avatar of Jesus Christ and I am talking about hating satan.
AntWrig

I don't think you realize how true you are...

Guy with Kane avatar posts about hating SupCom (or its AI at least).

Hypothetical guy with Jesus avatar posts about hating satan.

Now here's the irony: Kane doesn't hate SupCom nor does Jesus hate satan, they are merely competitors, per se.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darklord888
[QUOTE="Samuraidragons"]

AntWrig

Err no it's not like that at all. If I was christian that means I'm against satan. Just because I have a picture of an RTS I enjoy does not mean I hate others. I enjoy most RTS's and was looking forward to SupCom just as much as C&C3 but I was dissapointed and mainly by the A.I. That's why I made the thread.

Chris Taylor, the same creator that made Total Annihilation. Now those who played T.A. would immediately understand that Supreme Commander and T.A. are known to be one of the most modable rts games. Total Annihilation had an unbelievably crappy A.I. Many mods were later created that were specifically meant to harden the difficulty of the A.I. and the same will happen to Supreme Commander. I assure you all, that in a few months, hundreds of mods will become available and I'm pretty sure that more than one of them will make the A.I. more difficult. Until then, just enjoy the game. Not all games are pefect, but they are just meant to simply entertain.

Yeah I can see mods coming out soon but it's still pretty poor having AI so bad mods need to be made to play it any fun at all. It's not fun spending 1 hour + just to wipe their base out in 5 minutes.

It's obvious this guy will not change his mind! He's a Biased fanboy!

Lds_Ricky
Yes just because I like a game that means I hate all others and have been only playing tiberium sun for the last 10 years...
It isn't a religion mate it's a game.
KorJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KorJax
Member since 2004 • 2564 Posts
Well, anyways, EVEN IF you dont like SupCom AI (which many people do, I guess it depends on the person), the AI is EASILY moddable and has already been changed to be more human-like (AKA builds full-tech units and isnt afraid of doing it quick). The AI already supports the ability to learn and plan against you, but i think the actual AI exicution of the game was simplified because the game takes much more than other RTS games to get the ropes. But yeah, you can download AI mods that make it better. And a mod for anything else too (UI for instance). And you mention how its not fun to spend 1+ hour (which means your still learning the game, my games never last more than an hour unless I want them to, people expect to just pickup and play this game to its fullest potentual) just to blow up a base in 5 minutes tells me this: SupCom is not the style of RTS that your interested in! If so, get over it! If you obivously dont like how supcom plays (I personally love it), then C&C3 would be a better choice for you. A game doenst suck just because you are not interested in its gameplay style.