supreme commander or quake wars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-PS360-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -PS360-
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
i really like both genre's but whcih is funner? if i get SC then il prolly get the expansion also
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

I would say SC and expansion. One of the best online RTS experiences you could have.

I personally didn't like quake wars that much.

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
I'm having a lot of fun in ET:QW, for a shooter it'll take a long time to master and so I'm sure I'll get a plethora of hours in. I only played the demo of supreme commander though, I just wasn't feeling it.
bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
ET:QW for the win.....the game is addicting.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
I've only played the demo of both, but just based on that, I say Supreme Commander. Quake Wars was kind of fun, but it was nothing special for me, and its general production quality was underwhelming. I only ever care about the skirmish games in RTS's, but Supreme Commander was lots of fun and quite impressive in its demo. The only thing about it that bugged me was the quality of the AI. They wouldn't maneuver around a hill or even a cliff wall that was blocking their line of sight to a target, they would just stupidly fire straight at it as long as it was in range, no matter what may be in the way. Just out of curiosity, has the AI been improved in the full game with patches and whatnot?
hrdazcment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrdazcment
Member since 2003 • 46 Posts

I wasn't impressed at all with QW. I truely laugh now since the game & demo has come out because TONS of people were saying that QW would put an end to BF2142/BF2. Thats a big joke in my book. QW doesn't even come close to BF2142 even with the many problems it has. Of course my opinion may be a little bias since I can't stand FPS games which allow mindless run & gun bunny hopping gameplay. I prefer using strategy & cunning to beat the opponents.

As for SC, it is an awesome game. There are countless maps that can be DLed also. And the AI is working just fine. The demo didn't show much of the totally finished game. There are I think 8 different AI difficulty levels to choose from in the full game. Some of them are extremely difficult & VERY challenging. As a matter of fact me & a friend linked up in MP to take on ONE opponent on one of the hard settings & both of us got our butts handed to us.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Quake Wars
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#8 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
I have both games and I prefer RTS over FPS, but I am enjoying Quake Wars more.
-PS360-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -PS360-
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
thanks for the great responses everyone! I decided to get supreme commander cause i knew i would en dup getting UT 3 and crysis next month and was low on RTS's so i decided to get supreme commander along with WIC, thanks!
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 onemic

I've only played the demo of both, but just based on that, I say Supreme Commander. Quake Wars was kind of fun, but it was nothing special for me, and its general production quality was underwhelming. I only ever care about the skirmish games in RTS's, but Supreme Commander was lots of fun and quite impressive in its demo. The only thing about it that bugged me was the quality of the AI. They wouldn't maneuver around a hill or even a cliff wall that was blocking their line of sight to a target, they would just stupidly fire straight at it as long as it was in range, no matter what may be in the way. Just out of curiosity, has the AI been improved in the full game with patches and whatnot?JP_Russell

You liked the supcom demo? That's a first.

The demo is a heaping pile of crap compared to the retail.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]I've only played the demo of both, but just based on that, I say Supreme Commander. Quake Wars was kind of fun, but it was nothing special for me, and its general production quality was underwhelming. I only ever care about the skirmish games in RTS's, but Supreme Commander was lots of fun and quite impressive in its demo. The only thing about it that bugged me was the quality of the AI. They wouldn't maneuver around a hill or even a cliff wall that was blocking their line of sight to a target, they would just stupidly fire straight at it as long as it was in range, no matter what may be in the way. Just out of curiosity, has the AI been improved in the full game with patches and whatnot?onemic

Yeah, I liked it. I didn't love it, but I figured the demo wasn't as refined as the full game, and for what it was, I enjoyed it. An entire race open to you, which isn't always the case in RTS demos ("half a race" is not uncommon), with lots of different units to play with and test out, all kinds of turrets to use (I'm a big turtler, so that's always a plus), a scale I hadn't ever seen in an RTS before, awesome super weapons and super units, a neat resource system... I liked it.

Why, what is improved in the full game?

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
Try Spring, its a 3D remake of Total Anialation. Its like SubCom only is has worse graphics and its free. If you like that get SubCom.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]I've only played the demo of both, but just based on that, I say Supreme Commander. Quake Wars was kind of fun, but it was nothing special for me, and its general production quality was underwhelming. I only ever care about the skirmish games in RTS's, but Supreme Commander was lots of fun and quite impressive in its demo. The only thing about it that bugged me was the quality of the AI. They wouldn't maneuver around a hill or even a cliff wall that was blocking their line of sight to a target, they would just stupidly fire straight at it as long as it was in range, no matter what may be in the way. Just out of curiosity, has the AI been improved in the full game with patches and whatnot?JP_Russell

Yeah, I liked it. I didn't love it, but I figured the demo wasn't as refined as the full game, and for what it was, I enjoyed it. An entire race open to you, which isn't always the case in RTS demos ("half a race" is not uncommon), with lots of different units to play with and test out, all kinds of turrets to use (I'm a big turtler, so that's always a plus), a scale I hadn't ever seen in an RTS before, awesome super weapons and super units, a neat resource system... I liked it.

Why, what is improved in the full game?

The difference between the demo and the retail is like night and day. Performance in retail is way better than the demo. Same goes for the balancing of the units, and the units themselves(since retail GPG has added around8 or so new units for free) Retail also includes MP, which IMO is the best online RTS(from the online component itself, to the MP client, which is bar none the best MP client in all online RTS games) since the days of starcraft and the original total annihilation.

Most people who have the retail, (including me) think that the demo is absolutely horrid.

Avatar image for lemonmanblugdo1
lemonmanblugdo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lemonmanblugdo1
Member since 2005 • 839 Posts
surpreme commander by far, quake wars is slightly amusing for the first hour, and then gets terribly boring... it is most definitly a mediocre game. Surpeme commander is very fun and crafted very well. So i definitly recommend surpreme commander
0Neo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 0Neo0
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts
I say both, They are both really good games in there own right. One is an RTS and one is a Shooter. Quake Wars has a lot of depth to the game which is amazing.
delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

surpreme commander by far, quake wars is slightly amusing for the first hour, and then gets terribly boring... it is most definitly a mediocre game. Surpeme commander is very fun and crafted very well. So i definitly recommend surpreme commanderlemonmanblugdo1

Are you talking about the demo or full game QW:ET... with campaign mode keeping xp for 3 maps, it's a different ballpark imo. I quit playing the beta/demo after 30 min sessions or so... but I can hang in the release for hours and have fun, and I just pub :)

alijib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 alijib
Member since 2003 • 178 Posts
Both of them are different genre, so play them both :)
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
If you have to pick either one of those two, I suggest you go for Quake Wars
0Neo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 0Neo0
You cant really pick. You really have to get both. IF you like Quake with Battlefield Gameplay you will love Quake wars.
kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

As a huge Battlefield fan, I found Quake Wars to be a heavily diluted backstep from the advances made by DICE.

SupCom is one of the most intense and strategic RTS game available however. I just love how I can queue up an hour's worth of orders and sit back and watch everything proceed as planned.

These are my opinions of course, so YMMV. :)

0Neo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 0Neo0
See the problem is both SupCom and Quakewars have terrible demos. So You might have to buy both to get the full feeling that the game has to offer.