Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for -Grits_N_Gravy-
-Grits_N_Gravy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Grits_N_Gravy-
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Ordering off of newegg.com, cheap as hell (2 games& 1gig of RAM = 100bucks)i might add, anyhow, iam getting STALKER,....and another game, either Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes,...not much in common but they both look fun, of the 2 knowing its a difficult decision, which 1 of the two would you guys choose (put on hold)?......atleast for now

JJ_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JJ_1
Member since 2004 • 911 Posts

Ordering off of newegg.com, cheap as hell (2 games& 1gig of RAM = 100bucks)i might add, anyhow, iam getting STALKER,....and another game, either Supreme Commander or Company of Heroes,...not much in common but they both look fun, of the 2 knowing its a difficult decision, which 1 of the two would you guys choose (put on hold)?......atleast for now

-Grits_N_Gravy-

Company of Heros was an amazing game, but supream comamnder was still fun.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
supcom for mp, COH for sp.
vinny171873

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vinny171873
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
COH
Alnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Alnar
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts
I havent played SCom, but COH was great. So i reccommend it no matter what. On the other hand, if you are tired of WW2 weaponry and all that junk about Allies and Axis..(because i really am) , go for SCommander.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Company of Heroes is IMO, the best and most enjoyable RTS on the market.
It's simply amazing.
stenfisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stenfisk
Member since 2006 • 232 Posts
Buy world in conflict, it got 9.3 on ign and 93% from the swedish pcgamer:D
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
I like supcom better, that queue system is awesome and it's not a wwii game.
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
Company of Heroes
bubupriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bubupriest
Member since 2005 • 47 Posts
COH
kutty12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kutty12000
Member since 2003 • 1169 Posts
supcom for mp, COH for sp.onemic
That should be the reasoning behind your purchase.
Bromz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Bromz
Member since 2005 • 1639 Posts
I havent played SCom, but COH was great. So i reccommend it no matter what. On the other hand, if you are tired of WW2 weaponry and all that junk about Allies and Axis..(because i really am) , go for SCommander.Alnar
Then again, if you're tired of generic scifi 3 factions rts where they're all extremely similiar, go for CoH (xpack for coh coming soon that will add 2 more factions)
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 onemic

[QUOTE="Alnar"]I havent played SCom, but COH was great. So i reccommend it no matter what. On the other hand, if you are tired of WW2 weaponry and all that junk about Allies and Axis..(because i really am) , go for SCommander.Bromz
Then again, if you're tired of generic scifi 3 factions rts where they're all extremely similiar, go for CoH (xpack for coh coming soon that will add 2 more factions)

???? You clearly have never played supcom

Mam00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mam00th
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Having played both, I can tell you I prefered COH.

Supreme commander is nice but doesn't immerse you as much as COH

DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

Supreme Commander........and coming soon

Supreme Commander : Forged Alliance (coming soon)

WestleyViau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 WestleyViau
Member since 2006 • 138 Posts
CoH, because its a realistic WWII experience, but also supcom is boring and slow.
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
Forget that crap STALKER and buy both Supcom and COH...
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 onemic

CoH, because its a realistic WWII experience, but also supcom is boring and slow.WestleyViau

More people that haven't played supcom, but feel the need to bash it.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

[QUOTE="WestleyViau"]CoH, because its a realistic WWII experience, but also supcom is boring and slow.onemic

Well everyone has their own opinion so theres no real need to defend a game. I personally felt Supcom was boring and slow too + it wanted tooo much time on building the same structures over and over again. Just give me action asap and no repetitive boring base building + Supcom is such a generic sci-fi game and has no personality.

Thats why id go for COH but rather own supcom than STALKER lol.

Cowborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cowborg
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
i havent played SupCom but i have COH, and i must say that i did not really like the fact that you have to have 3 different types of resources (that generate really slowly) to make things and you need to hold strategic command points to earn those resources. i find it really frustrating when i am trying to create units to fight the enemy and i cant because i dont have enough resources. 
kutty12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kutty12000
Member since 2003 • 1169 Posts
The problem here is most people don't take enough time to get into SupCom. It's a really deep experience. It's purely a RTS game where your brains can win you the game and not your necessarily your uber micro skills. Pperhaps you played the campaign, there the game does appear slow, but as soon as you get online, you'll realize the game is far from it. I'm not defending the game because I'm a fanboy or whatever, but because I believe that the game is under-appreciated, in the same way I believe that CoH should have sold like a million more copies.
Orguss999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Orguss999
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts

i've played them both and both are different then each other by quite a bit for rts games. Do you want to play ww2, or future wars. Do you want alot of units or less with more management. Do you want large battles veiewed from afar or close tight battles viewed up close? Both games have good graphics. Enviroments are totatally different, you have air land water for supcom, and city and field type battles in coh.

It should come down to your machine. If you don't have dual core, forget supcom. Which brings me to the last thing you need to think about. In my opinion supcom has the lesser of support, promises made and what not and not followed through with in patches. While i had dual core cpu, alot of people didn't. I couldn't begin to tell you how many terrible multiplayer games I wasted up to and over an hour on. Supcom's multiplayer is fun if everyone playing has good computers, but if just one guy doesn't, the game makes up for him by making time go by really slow, or just disconnecting altogether. In my opinion supcom multiplayer was ruined by this. When i was into it, around and after release, there would be less then 15 games, usually less then 10 up at a time to join. On the other hand company of heroes seems to have a pretty strong multiplayer community base. Both games are fun, and have their own unique plus's. Over all though for replayablity and single player, company of heroes would take it.

perti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 perti
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

Both are great, but for me, the strategic zoom in SupCom makes it the game of choice. It will spoil you on all other RTS's, or at least it did me. I get so frustrated now with the limited viewing area of other RTS's. Also, there seem to be more mods available for SupCom, which keeps the game fresh.

On the other hand, I'd say skip Stalker and get both of them. COH is too good to miss.

spitfireace21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 spitfireace21
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts
COH was revolutionary, nothin has beaten it yet, but im carefully watching World in Conflict, we will see
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="WestleyViau"]CoH, because its a realistic WWII experience, but also supcom is boring and slow.Grantelicious

Well everyone has their own opinion so theres no real need to defend a game. I personally felt Supcom was boring and slow too + it wanted tooo much time on building the same structures over and over again. Just give me action asap and no repetitive boring base building + Supcom is such a generic sci-fi game and has no personality.

Saying supcom is slow is the same as saying that CS is tactical. It's just not true. If anyone says the game is slow it's either that they've never played the game before, they only played the SP or they only faced other people who were new to supcom. It's anything, but a slow game, in fact it's faster paced than COH.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 onemic

i've played them both and both are different then each other by quite a bit for rts games. Do you want to play ww2, or future wars. Do you want alot of units or less with more management. Do you want large battles veiewed from afar or close tight battles viewed up close? Both games have good graphics. Enviroments are totatally different, you have air land water for supcom, and city and field type battles in coh.

It should come down to your machine. If you don't have dual core, forget supcom. Which brings me to the last thing you need to think about. In my opinion supcom has the lesser of support, promises made and what not and not followed through with in patches. While i had dual core cpu, alot of people didn't. I couldn't begin to tell you how many terrible multiplayer games I wasted up to and over an hour on. Supcom's multiplayer is fun if everyone playing has good computers, but if just one guy doesn't, the game makes up for him by making time go by really slow, or just disconnecting altogether. In my opinion supcom multiplayer was ruined by this. When i was into it, around and after release, there would be less then 15 games, usually less then 10 up at a time to join. On the other hand company of heroes seems to have a pretty strong multiplayer community base. Both games are fun, and have their own unique plus's. Over all though for replayablity and single player, company of heroes would take it.

Orguss999

those matches you're talking about are custom games and COH has a similar amount of custom games as well. Most people in supcom play ranked games and if you look at the number of players playing at any given time it is similar to COH(Although COH does have more players during peak hours)

And the performance issues for single cores were rectified way back in may or so when GPG.net released a patch that really helped the performance of dual core and single core users.

DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DuaneDog
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts

Both are very great games but also very, very different. SupCom is on a much, much larger scale and games often end up with hundreds of units. Having 500 units on one team is not uncommon. The units in SupCom range from the common tank to massive experimental units than unleash unreal destruction.COH has conventional weapons based in a WWII scenerio. This makes for an entirely different games even though both are RTS. Supcom has a learning curve that is huge and an interface that offersmany short cutsin carrying out your strategy. This is largely because of the size of the maps and the logistical strategies that it creates.

My advice would be to download the demos and give them both a try. I personally like them both and they are so different I could not really pick one over the other. Just depends on the mood I am in. I'm also very optimistic about world in conflict, at least for multi-player.

THERSOfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 THERSOfi
Member since 2005 • 1214 Posts
Company of HeroesBaron_14
DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DuaneDog
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"][QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="WestleyViau"]CoH, because its a realistic WWII experience, but also supcom is boring and slow.onemic

Saying supcom is slow is the same as saying that CS is tactical. It's just not true. If anyone says the game is slow it's either that they've never played the game before, they only played the SP or they only faced other people who were new to supcom. It's anything, but a slow game, in fact it's faster paced than COH.

Iagree with this. With SupCom you can queue your builds up and most good players will be pouring tons of units out on the map in no time. When playing MP I've seen matches end in under 10 minutes. The first thing anyone needs to do if they really want to see how it the game should be played is to download some replays. You'll find very few games that go on for a long time. Supcom also has the ability to launch games where there are pre-built structures so if it feels slow to someone can configure toget into the action faster.

I'm certainly not saying Supcom is better or worse than COH. Both are great games and so different it will depend on one's personal preferences. Some people really like realism and COH is the one if you want units that are ground in reality. SupCom has weapons that don't even exist yet.

I would say that the one thing I really love about Supcom is the scouting. Supcom is a game of intelligence and information.You absolutely must know what your opponent is building and the maps are so huge the strategic scope becomes very impressive. Sometimes I just don't want to play Supcom because it's a very demanding game and will make your head hurt. You can end up fighting on 4 fronts with 100 units on each front. COH depends on more tactical decisions for success and while you still need scounting and recon, it's not as vital a part as in Supcom.InSupcom missing a MonkeyLord build or a tactical missle outside your base can spell the end in under a minute.

DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DuaneDog

One other thing I thought of... SupCom offers full sets of units for land, air and sea. COH is more of a close combat tactical strategy.All the forces you build are ground units. there are options to call in air strikes and it's very cool, but it's also a much different game.

Probably the best thing is just to forget these games are even in the same genre and just treat them on their own qualities. I've played both of these games as much as any in the last year. Any RTS fan will for sure want both. Supcom I do think takes longer to really appreciate. Oh, and I think there is a SupCom stand alone upgrade coming out soon that should make the game better. Perhaps get COH now and in a few months pick up the new SupCom if it really is an improvement.

the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts
i liked both, but i dont actually own either so I havent played alot
Servitillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Servitillo
Member since 2006 • 92 Posts
I prefer CoH to SupCom. i'm more into strategy then fast paced gameplay, butthey're both grest games
Orguss999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Orguss999
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts
I hadn't known that about the patch. I can say i put in a fair share of hours into both games. I just felt that i had a more frustrating experience with mulitplayer than coh. Both games are good games, i really enjoyed supcom alot. I was really put off when they kept saying they were going to release a version of the map editor and community map access. I realize there is an editor out, and you can download the maps alot easier now right through supcom. But they gave dates and never followed up on it correctly. The more games i play, the more i dislike companys that put things on the back burner after the games out. Obiviously they have the expansion pack they are working on, but i felt they needed to really get supcom's kinks out first. Which your saying they have as of resently, i'll have to log back in and see whats up.
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gogators4life
Member since 2006 • 4654 Posts

Any RTS game >>>>>>> C&C 3

As for the topic, their both good, but COH is better. :)

St-Aries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 St-Aries
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts
COH indeed
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

There are both different games, even though they are carrying a RTS name in them.

I can't judge Supcom. as I played only a demo which was enjoyable.

I went ahead and got CoH because it appeals to my play style, I enjoy smaller group action then large territorial battles with plenty of units.

Both are great games, try the demo out, it will give you more opinion of style, whichever one you chose you won't regret it. Both are excellent titles.

Bromz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bromz
Member since 2005 • 1639 Posts

[QUOTE="Bromz"][QUOTE="Alnar"]I havent played SCom, but COH was great. So i reccommend it no matter what. On the other hand, if you are tired of WW2 weaponry and all that junk about Allies and Axis..(because i really am) , go for SCommander.onemic

Check my xfire, yes I have. Units are basically all the same cept experimentals by which time game is like over if you get to them.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="Bromz"][QUOTE="Alnar"]I havent played SCom, but COH was great. So i reccommend it no matter what. On the other hand, if you are tired of WW2 weaponry and all that junk about Allies and Axis..(because i really am) , go for SCommander.Bromz

Check my xfire, yes I have. Units are basically all the same cept experimentals by which time game is like over if you get to them.

With an ignorant statement like that you have either:

A. Only played against crap players(Unlikely)

B. only played the SP