Suggestions needed for building a PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Devon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Devon32
Member since 2007 • 1620 Posts

My friend wants to build a PC I'm a little outdated on the newer hardware and stuff his budget is 1,000 euro which is around 1,350 USD.

I'm thinking of some 58 serie ATI card myself. Mainly need some info on Mobo/CPU/case.

Tips appreciated :)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

everyone ehre will tlel you that hd 5870 and 5850 will be needing a long case good examples are the antec 1200, CM storm scout, haf 932 etc. some other cases can take them but very often this means horribly disfiguring th case (like lopping off HDD slots)

cpu wise the amd offering is SOLID and there coming 6 cores will be veyr well priced. but with your budget the cire i7's are where its at. ram umm i like kingston and corsair. and generally most people (in a core i7/i5 situation) willr ecommend something in an x58 board from like gigabyte or asus.

Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

My advice would be to wait for a little bit before you go out and buy. New Nvidia Cards are just around the corner, and their release will start a price comp between ATI and Nvidia again. You'll get more for your money if you do.

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO[mobo] amd phenom ii x4 955[cpu] antec 900[case] samsung 1tb hdd 4gb ram g.skill 550w psu
dchalf10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dchalf10
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

The best performance per $ would have to be an i5-750, they are cheap as hell and outperform all core 2 quads except the extreme edition, and they also outperform AMD's best, they can overclock to 4ghz on stock cooler, ( although I wouldn't recommend it ) the p55 motherboards for them are extremely cheap too, I have to recommend gigabyte, they are extremely reliable and have good support and frequent bios updates and driver updates.

The Antec 900 mentioned above is a bad case, the antec 300 which is supposedly a lesser case has dust filters 1x140mm fan inbuilt, 1x120mm fan inbuilt, and room for 3 more 120mm fans, it' also very cheap.

Any i5 or i7 requires DDR3, so you will have to buy new ram, DDR3 is fairly cheap now, the i5-750 needs 2 sticks of ram for dual channel, definately get 4gig ( 2x2gig sticks ) 2 gig total isn't enough these days.

If you want a budget video card that will play all games very well an ati 5850 is the way to get, the best price/performance card going right now, the 5870 is overprice, and even though i'm an nvidia fanboy, I cannot recommend any of their products it would just be insane right now, ati=cheap + DX11, nvidia = overpriced, no DX11.

Nvidias new cards are coming out soon though so if you wait a month or 2 the prices of the ati cards will have plummeted, so that would be the best time to buy a GPU, ram and cpus aren't getting any cheaper though so you may as well get them while their cheap.

The i5-750 is slightly cheaper than the amd 965 and the motherboards for it are aroung the same price or cheaper as well.

As above, 550watt minimum PSU corsair is a great brand, massive warranty as well, 7 years on my corsaid HX-850, as for RAM, OCZ has a lifetime warranty on all their ram.

Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

wait for fermi, just 9 days

Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

wait for fermi, just 9 days

SLIisaownsystem

I actually agree with your post entirely this time lol. It's really a good idea for anyone in the maket for a gaming PC. A little bit of patience may save some money.

Devon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Devon32
Member since 2007 • 1620 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys I'm gonna show my friend this post and see what we can make for him.

I build my own PC a year ago when I got my 5850 i had some room issues on my antec 900 room issues wasnt huge but i had to force away all the wires it was all hogged up together. Then I got a cosmos for cheap. Pretty pleased with the case myself. But dont want friend to have the same case as me.