Stupid Medieval II Installation Issue.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
So I'm trying to install it and the default directory is the C: drive. Mine is totally full though but I have another one available. The thing is I can't find any method to change where I want to install it: nowhere to change the path name, no option for advanced/custom installation etc. Doubleyouteeef. I was thinking of doing a manaul install onto the HDD where I have free space but if I add up the CD contents and the full insllation size then again I don't have enough room.

Am I doing it wrong?
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
I believe that it is a common issue with Medieval II. What I'd suggest is try to move some stuff from your C: to the other drive and then install the game.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

are you talking about Medieval II: Total War?

if so, prior to the installation, there's actually a *Choose Destination Location* page. you can change the defult C to anywhere you want.

Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

I believe that it is a common issue with Medieval II. What I'd suggest is try to move some stuff from your C: to the other drive and then install the game.Cdscottie

Clever but my C: drive is just bare essential OS stuff. I don't think I can transfer enough to make sufficient room.

if so, prior to the installation, there's actually a *Choose Destination Location* page. you can change the defult C to anywhere you want.

teardropmina

Sorry, yes I mean Total War but it is the Gold Edition or some such which has its own agenda. I don't get that prompt.

Looks like I maybe to do some cleaning and pissing around with my partitions. Thanks anyway chaps.

VistaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VistaKing
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Cdscottie"]I believe that it is a common issue with Medieval II. What I'd suggest is try to move some stuff from your C: to the other drive and then install the game.Buffalo_Soulja

Clever but my C: drive is just bare essential OS stuff. I don't think I can transfer enough to make sufficient room.

teardropmina

Sorry, yes I mean Total War but it is the Gold Edition or some such which has its own agenda. I don't get that prompt.

Looks like I maybe to do some cleaning and pissing around with my partitions. Thanks anyway chaps.

where is the the *Choose destination location* page?

AzianK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AzianK

Just got Medieval 2 Gold Edition myself, but I'm having a problem installing the game. Sorry if this seems like a thread hijack, but since this is talking about installation problems, I thought I post in here and not make another thread. Try to install the game a few times, but it would alwasy freeze around 20-25% when loading something something packs/data_1.pack or something something packs/data_2.pack. The entire computer would freeze and only thing I could do after waiting a while is to reset and start over. This is my setup for my computer at the moment, which I'm sure is more than enough to play this game

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB

Motherboard - eVGA Nvidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI

Memory - 2 GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

Hard Drive - 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache

CD/DVD Drive - 16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony Black and CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black

All this runs with Windows XP Pro with service pack 3

I also tried to disconnect internet connection and turn off all anti virus,spyware or adware remover, and firewal programs. Game continue to freeze everytime I try to install again. Let me know if there is something I am not doing or if I'm missing anything to run this game. Computer is pretty much brand new, had it for less than 3 weeks, so I have no idea what is wrong. Thanks in advance for your help

GHAHAHAHA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GHAHAHAHA
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Im having this same stupid installation issue with the Gold Edition of Medieval II: Total War. When I go to install it theres no option to select a destination drive. Also my C drive is pretty full and I dont really want to go and delete the stuff from it. Thanks.

I just found this out from Pro Cynic on the twcenter forums.

"There IS a way around this. You can still install Medieval 2: Total War Gold to the drive of your choosing without dealing with the 7.5 gig of disk space on the system drive issue. I had to experiment a bit but I found a way.

Use Windows Explorer to access the files on the first Medieval 2: Total War disk. Go to the directory m2tw/disk1. There is a setup.exe file there. Double click on it. That file runs an older version of the installer that allows you to install to whatever drive you wish without running the check on the system drive.

I had the same issue as you, but when I ran that installer, I was able to install the game to a different drive. I have run the game and it works fine."

Serpens6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Serpens6

Hey that was pretty helpful, thanks! I seriously think that was a really dumb move or oversight on their part.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts

Just got Medieval 2 Gold Edition myself, but I'm having a problem installing the game. Sorry if this seems like a thread hijack, but since this is talking about installation problems, I thought I post in here and not make another thread. Try to install the game a few times, but it would alwasy freeze around 20-25% when loading something something packs/data_1.pack or something something packs/data_2.pack. The entire computer would freeze and only thing I could do after waiting a while is to reset and start over. This is my setup for my computer at the moment, which I'm sure is more than enough to play this game

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB

Motherboard - eVGA Nvidia nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI

Memory - 2 GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

Hard Drive - 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache

CD/DVD Drive - 16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony Black and CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black

All this runs with Windows XP Pro with service pack 3

I also tried to disconnect internet connection and turn off all anti virus,spyware or adware remover, and firewal programs. Game continue to freeze everytime I try to install again. Let me know if there is something I am not doing or if I'm missing anything to run this game. Computer is pretty much brand new, had it for less than 3 weeks, so I have no idea what is wrong. Thanks in advance for your help

AzianK
Hm..Maybe just wait a little like does it freeze up completey?.. because sometimes installations do that and you gotta wait a bit..