Steam sale this winter **** ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Steam has very very low sales this Winter. Quake from 1991, Train simulator and some dumb things. I bought only Darksiders pack 1 & 2, waiting for Heroes of Might and Magic 6 buti dont belive it will ever be on sale. Whats your toughts people ?

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Steam was disappointing, GMG and Amazon were superb.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
I've bought tons during the sale; doom collection (my originals are in storage), witcher 1 (my friend has my cd and I moved country) anno 2070 complete, sins of a solar empire rebellion, sleeping dogs dlc, kotor 1 & 2, the testament of sherlock holmes, deus ex 1, tom clancy collection, torchlight 2, rome total war alexander expantion, rogue trooper, legacy of kain collection, gta vice city, gemini rue, hexen collection, deus ex hr dlc, ace of spades, bioshock 1 & 2. Granted a lot of the older titles I have on original disk but they're in storage and for £1-2 each I can't complain.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Quake from 1991

Assimilat0r

From 96 and still superior to 99 percent of FPSes.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

it was just clustered with stupid indie games left and right...

what i bought

Steam-

~anno 2070 P.S loving it

~tropical 4

Amazon-

~walking dead - it was same price on steam but, i had $5 from bing rewards gift card so only cost me a month of normal searching and $7 bucks... My mother is playing walking dead and she never plays video games. I figured she would love it because she likes the show and it's a simple game. Sadly it's NOT TOOO simple because i had stand by her for like a hour and show her the controls and how to play the game. but she has played over 7 hours according to steam

greenman

~ sim city. add 35% off, with there $15 added promo.

Was timpted to get southpark to BUT This game is suppose to come out what march? and still no gameplay videos? Don't think it would be bad with few head guess from the southpart studio also working with THQ on it. BUT useally we would got something atleast most games we would

~

I wanted dark souls but wanted it be $10 or under because i already bought it for console but loved the game and sorta wanna replay it and for the added content

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kieran88

[QUOTE="Assimilat0r"]

Quake from 1991

Socijalisticka

Agreed, I hope it wins the community vote.
Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

[QUOTE="Assimilat0r"]

Quake from 1991

Socijalisticka

you didnt get the point we all played that game, and they putting on sale old , cheap games. Insted make brand new games cheap. Second thing they spammed with indie games a lot. I played Quake and its one of best games out there. For a Decade whole frenchies of Quake was my favorite one.

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

I've liked this Winter Steam sales there has been some good deals and ive never picked up as much as I have this time around, and hey theres still 6 more days!

Still not as good as some GamersGate deals tho.

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kendog87

it was just clustered with stupid indie games left and right... k2theswiss

Whats with the hate for indie games...?

PlusFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PlusFour
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

I would agree but then i realise that i've got all the games i want pretty much. :P

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]it was just clustered with stupid indie games left and right... Kendog87

should explained my self. I am not fan of them just because MOST is not my type of style of games i like. Don't get me wrong i love games more devs that can grow and come the better. Just not for me
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Got myself Awesomenauts, Dead Pixels, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, Bastion, FTL, Orcs Must Die!, Psychonauts, SimCity4, Toki Tori, Hotline Miami, Intrusion 2, Mark of the Ninja, King's Bounty Warriors of the North, Spec Ops: The Line, all for like 30 euros. Definitely not as awesome as last year's sales, but still good for some indie games.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="Assimilat0r"]

Quake from 1991

Assimilat0r

you didnt get the point we all played that game, and they putting on sale old , cheap games. Insted make brand new games cheap. Second thing they spammed with indie games a lot. I played Quake and its one of best games out there. For a Decade whole frenchies of Quake was my favorite one.

Quality is of relevance, age is not. Nor has everybody played Quake.

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kendog87

[QUOTE="Kendog87"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]it was just clustered with stupid indie games left and right... k2theswiss

should explained my self. I am not fan of them just because MOST is not my type of style of games i like. Don't get me wrong i love games more devs that can grow and come the better. Just not for me

I guess if its not your style thats fair enough, but i was kind of the same, i wasnt very open-minded when it came to indies, but once i started buying some i really enjoyed them, even tho the first impressions arnt the best with some of them but once you get into them they are great.
I don't play ALOT of indies but the ones i have, have really made me appreciate indie games.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kieran88

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="Kendog87"]

Kendog87

I guess if its not your style thats fair enough, but i was kind of the same, i wasnt very open-minded when it came to indies, but once i started buying some i really enjoyed them, even tho the first impressions arnt the best with some of them but once you get into them they are great.
I don't play ALOT of indies but the ones i have, have really made me appreciate indie games.

I'm not really sure what he means by not his style. Seeing as indie isn't limited to any particular style. I loved playing games on my megadrive and nes/ snes as a kid, a lot of indie games remind me of these, but newer. What's not to like.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Good for indie games like Natural Selection 2 and chivalry

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
It's actually been a good sale but everyone already owns all the good games :/. Amazon's had some deals but I think the games they offered were total crap, GG and GMG had decent sales too but GG managed to f*** it up twice with the Bethesda Collection and Borderlands 2. :( This a pretty good sale if you're a newcomer or don't own a lot of games. THAT SAID, expecting and actually demanding deals that go beyond 25% off for new games is just plain dumb and stupid.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kieran88
THAT SAID, expecting and actually demanding deals that go beyond 25% off for new games is just plain dumb and stupid. 8-Bitterness
Exactly
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Didn't notice this thread? http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29331638/steam-winter-sale-is-here-bring-your-wallet-edition

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="Assimilat0r"]

Quake from 1991

kieran88

Well I voted for it, but that's because the other games have already been on sale multiple times.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kieran88
[QUOTE="kieran88"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

EliteM0nk3y

Well I voted for it, but that's because the other games have already been on sale multiple times.

Good man :D
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

I agree this years winter sale has been pretty weak compared to the previous years. All I have gotten so far is the Witcher 2.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

Only bought Crusader King 2 so far (fantastic game btw), but I keep watching for more offer. I have to agree that this year is...

l-Computers-are-so-boring....jpg

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 k2theswiss

doom 3 $2.50 UMM

never mind... just watch few youtube vids and Didn't really like what i saw...

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Only dota 2 pack for me. But this steam sale has been weak.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts
It's actually been a good sale but everyone already owns all the good games :/. Amazon's had some deals but I think the games they offered were total crap, GG and GMG had decent sales too but GG managed to f*** it up twice with the Bethesda Collection and Borderlands 2. :( This a pretty good sale if you're a newcomer or don't own a lot of games. THAT SAID, expecting and actually demanding deals that go beyond 25% off for new games is just plain dumb and stupid. 8-Bitterness
This. Not that it's a bad sale or anything but at the same time, I know for me personally, I've already gotten most of the games they've had huge discounts on I've already got my fill of over their Summer Sale (while I do gotta admit I'm a bit bitter about that super cheap Witcher 2 price--considering I spent 15 buck for it over the summer, lol). I did get the Sims Medieval for around 10 buck which is hellacool, but that's about the only thing I wanted off Steam. I'd get the expansion Sims 3 Supernatural, but since it needs the Sims 3 to be on Steam's client (and I got mines off EA)--it's no point in getting it here. But Amazon has it for the same price, in addition to the fact that I got 5 buck credit I'm sitting on which I can use toward, so plan to get off Amazon.
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
Me getting AC3, and Far Cry 3 on Uplay was the best sale so far for me
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I would agree but then i realise that i've got all the games i want pretty much. :P

PlusFour

I'm getting this way. There were a few times I found myself thinking it would be nice if I didn't already own a game since they had such a good deal on it.

It did seem like Amazon generally trumped the Steam sales, or at least matched them the whole time. I ended up picking up extra copies of Bioshock and Bioshock 2 since it was $10 with Spec Ops the Line, which I didn't own. That game never went below $10.19 by itself on Steam, as far as I know. I still got it a copy for use on Steam, and had a couple of keys to give away to friends.

I still managed to pick up a few games including Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3, though I got both of those from Uplay early on. Steam didn't match the 25% on either of those until the last couple of days.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I'm pretty annoyed that Far Cry 3 only just went on sale. I mean, thats a big game. You'd think they'd have it nice and early, not some random day where people can miss it. I already went out and bought the game from a store because it was on sale. The difference is only a few dollars but now I can't add it to Steam.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I'm pretty annoyed that Far Cry 3 only just went on sale. I mean, thats a big game. You'd think they'd have it nice and early, not some random day where people can miss it. I already went out and bought the game from a store because it was on sale. The difference is only a few dollars but now I can't add it to Steam. biggest_loser

Just add it as a non steam game

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#31 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I'm pretty annoyed that Far Cry 3 only just went on sale. I mean, thats a big game. You'd think they'd have it nice and early, not some random day where people can miss it. I already went out and bought the game from a store because it was on sale. The difference is only a few dollars but now I can't add it to Steam. lostrib

I can do that but I won't have the updates etc. Is there any way around it?!
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It's actually been a good sale but everyone already owns all the good games :/. Amazon's had some deals but I think the games they offered were total crap, GG and GMG had decent sales too but GG managed to f*** it up twice with the Bethesda Collection and Borderlands 2. :( This a pretty good sale if you're a newcomer or don't own a lot of games. THAT SAID, expecting and actually demanding deals that go beyond 25% off for new games is just plain dumb and stupid. 8-Bitterness

Amazon offered crap games? They were the first to put Dark Souls for $15, Hitman Absolution for $19, Max Payne for $15, Borderlands for $29, Darksiders 2 Franchise for $13, Desert to Sea Bundle for a mere $10, and the first to put Guild Wars 2 for $29. I wouldn't say Amazon.com put up crap games. It's possible you just missed them.

A lot of the new games went for more than 50% off..

The best three were Amazon, GMG, and Gamefly. GamersGate had system glitches twice but most of their games are bloatware. Steam was pretty good even though I didn't pick up anything worth mentioning.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
steam sales this year seem to be aimed at putting the good games on sale to the later part of the sale period. I can only assume their goal is to sell more copies of each game because people will get impatient and then when it goes on sale even more people will buy it to join their impatient friends. Even more reason to never buy a game that isn't a daily or flash sale until the very last day.
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

i'm not sure if the prices are bad or i just have so many games left to still play that i can wait for prices to hit rock bottom but if this keeps up it will be the first steam sale that i didn't buy a single game while my steam wishlist is larger than ever (i did spend on gog though).

what strikes me most this year is that there is no effort to get people involved in any way. there's no hand drawn pictures, no theme, no nothing. i seem to remember last year i was collecting coal, earning discount vouchers, even a free game and the whole thing just seemed to be more of an event. and it's totally unorganized too; there's two daily deals sections and two flash sales sections, both seem to occasionally offer the same thing (not simultaneously of course but still) and they last for ever so there's really no incentive to regularly check for what's on sale or anticipate the change in what's on offer.

then there's also the community votes which are just completely random and have now added value. as if i can influence the outcome and get the game i want. so why would you vote? and when you decide to vote, what will you vote for? games that you think others should play or on that one game you don't already own? you can't even see what the current score is..

as far as i'm concerned steam totally dropped the ball on this one.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008

steam sales this year seem to be aimed at putting the good games on sale to the later part of the sale period. I can only assume their goal is to sell more copies of each game because people will get impatient and then when it goes on sale even more people will buy it to join their impatient friends. Even more reason to never buy a game that isn't a daily or flash sale until the very last day. nutcrackr
True. But there are students/non-students that are on vacation and they kinda want to play the game early on, not later when they have to start packing it up for school again. And then others like me that are on vacation (not in college any more), and I want to enjoy my vacation

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elann2008

i'm not sure if the prices are bad or i just have so many games left to still play that i can wait for prices to hit rock bottom but if this keeps up it will be the first steam sale that i didn't buy a single game while my steam wishlist is larger than ever (i did spend on gog though).

what strikes me most this year is that there is no effort to get people involved in any way. there's no hand drawn pictures, no theme, no nothing. i seem to remember last year i was collecting coal, earning discount vouchers, even a free game and the whole thing just seemed to be more of an event. and it's totally unorganized too; there's two daily deals sections and two flash sales sections, both seem to occasionally offer the same thing (not simultaneously of course but still) and they last for ever so there's really no incentive to regularly check for what's on sale or anticipate the change in what's on offer.

then there's also the community votes which are just completely random and have now added value. as if i can influence the outcome and get the game i want. so why would you vote? and when you decide to vote, what will you vote for? games that you think others should play or on that one game you don't already own? you can't even see what the current score is..

as far as i'm concerned steam totally dropped the ball on this one.

BLKR4330
Agreed. And Community Choice should have a shorter timer. Cut it in half or even less. There are plenty of games to put on the voting ballot.
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"]It's actually been a good sale but everyone already owns all the good games :/. Amazon's had some deals but I think the games they offered were total crap, GG and GMG had decent sales too but GG managed to f*** it up twice with the Bethesda Collection and Borderlands 2. :( This a pretty good sale if you're a newcomer or don't own a lot of games. THAT SAID, expecting and actually demanding deals that go beyond 25% off for new games is just plain dumb and stupid. Elann2008

Amazon offered crap games? They were the first to put Dark Souls for $15, Hitman Absolution for $19, Max Payne for $15, Borderlands for $29, Darksiders 2 Franchise for $13, Desert to Sea Bundle for a mere $10, and the first to put Guild Wars 2 for $29. I wouldn't say Amazon.com put up crap games. It's possible you just missed them.

A lot of the new games went for more than 50% off..

The best three were Amazon, GMG, and Gamefly. GamersGate had system glitches twice but most of their games are bloatware. Steam was pretty good even though I didn't pick up anything worth mentioning.

Welp, I already had the games that I wanted from those though. So the ones that I could buy were just not so attractive, then again, "crap games" might be a little off... Just nothing I felt like I needed to play.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]I'm pretty annoyed that Far Cry 3 only just went on sale. I mean, thats a big game. You'd think they'd have it nice and early, not some random day where people can miss it. I already went out and bought the game from a store because it was on sale. The difference is only a few dollars but now I can't add it to Steam. biggest_loser

I can do that but I won't have the updates etc. Is there any way around it?!

Far Cry 3 requires UPlay which automatically updates your games (I believe).

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Well so far I haven't bought a single thing from this sale.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Elann2008
Far Cry Franchise pack costs more than buying the three games individually.. lol what's the point of listing it as more...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Elann2008
Forewarning: Don't buy Doom 3 BFG edition. Just buy Doom 3 complete edition. If you need me to explain why then maybe you deserve BFG edition. :P
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"]It's actually been a good sale but everyone already owns all the good games :/. Amazon's had some deals but I think the games they offered were total crap, GG and GMG had decent sales too but GG managed to f*** it up twice with the Bethesda Collection and Borderlands 2. :( This a pretty good sale if you're a newcomer or don't own a lot of games. THAT SAID, expecting and actually demanding deals that go beyond 25% off for new games is just plain dumb and stupid. PumpkinBoogie
This. Not that it's a bad sale or anything but at the same time, I know for me personally, I've already gotten most of the games they've had huge discounts on I've already got my fill of over their Summer Sale (while I do gotta admit I'm a bit bitter about that super cheap Witcher 2 price--considering I spent 15 buck for it over the summer, lol). I did get the Sims Medieval for around 10 buck which is hellacool, but that's about the only thing I wanted off Steam. I'd get the expansion Sims 3 Supernatural, but since it needs the Sims 3 to be on Steam's client (and I got mines off EA)--it's no point in getting it here. But Amazon has it for the same price, in addition to the fact that I got 5 buck credit I'm sitting on which I can use toward, so plan to get off Amazon.

How much was the Bethesda collection and borderlands 2?
TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

Wanna know why this sale sucks? Because for about ten days now...Far Cry 3 was selling at full price. So I went and bought it...and a day later, it finally goes on sale. :(

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Wanna know why this sale sucks? Because for about ten days now...Far Cry 3 was selling at full price. So I went and bought it...and a day later, it finally goes on sale. :(

TheFatPerson

UPlay had it 25% off last weekend. Also, but if you really wanted it on Steam - the first rule of Steam sales is wait until the last day of the sale to pick up games that never become a daily or flash sale. :)

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]

Cwagmire21

UPlay had it 25% off last weekend. Also, but if you really wanted it on Steam - the first rule of Steam sales is wait until the last day of the sale to pick up games that never become a daily or flash sale. :)

Well, I try to stay away from other digital distributors and simply stick with Steam simply because I like having all my games in one place. Of course, if I have no other choice then I use other means (GoG, retail, Origin if the game requires that). I also couldn't have known that they were gonna put it on sale so I just went ahead and bought it.

I can't install it until tomorrow anyways.

Jetsfan122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jetsfan122
Member since 2011 • 124 Posts

Picked up Broken Sword Trilogy, AC complete, Far Cry 3, Velvet Assassin ( I've been on the fence about buying it for a while, but for $1.24 , not much risk involved)

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Really? I'm quite liking it. I've picked up about 5 games, loving them:)

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Just bought Far Cry 3, a friend bought me Borderlands 2, that's all i've got this year.