Steam not starting

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sandeep410 (1180 posts) -
Steam aint starting at all whenever i double click it nothing happens.Am unable to play any games bec of this
#2 Posted by Dagamemonkey (1480 posts) -
If a game is installed on your system even through Steam you should still be able to run it. Just find it in programs or in the system files and start it from one of those places.
#3 Posted by sandeep410 (1180 posts) -
How can i play TF2 w/o steam running
#4 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Turn off your anti virus programs and anything liek PEER GUARDIAN2 off.
The only time steam wouldnt work for me was when i had PEER GUARDIAN 2 on and it was blocking steam from turning on. Turned PEER GUARDIAN OFF and made sure STEAM and the game i wanted to play where on the ALLOWED LIST for my firewall!

Try those!

#5 Posted by sandeep410 (1180 posts) -

The only time steam wouldnt work for me was when i had PEER GUARDIAN 2 on and it was blocking steam from turning on. Turned PEER GUARDIAN OFF and made sure STEAM and the game i wanted to play where on the ALLOWED LIST for my firewall!

Try those!

kozzy1234

already tried that nothing happened.I am using kasper sky.Anyway when i bought the task manager it showed steam was running weird.

#6 Posted by redneckdouglas (2977 posts) -
Try to uninstall if nothing works. Best to move your game folders somewhere else so you don't have to reinstall every Steam games.
#7 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Tried restart?
#8 Posted by sandeep410 (1180 posts) -

well i have uninstalled steam.But now when i try to reinstall it in same folder it gives me an error stating steam cant be installed in this folder as it contains unknow files.If install it in any other folder i will have to reinstall everything again.

How do you just move steam games.

#9 Posted by sandeep410 (1180 posts) -
Try to uninstall if nothing works. Best to move your game folders somewhere else so you don't have to reinstall every Steam games.redneckdouglas
how to do that
#10 Posted by 2uneek4u (2548 posts) -
this is most likely due to slow internet. i get this problem whenever i go over my download limit, my internet speed drops down to 56kbps till the end of the month.
#11 Posted by sandeep410 (1180 posts) -
this is most likely due to slow internet. i get this problem whenever i go over my download limit, my internet speed drops down to 56kbps till the end of the month.2uneek4u
No i have a steady connection.
#12 Posted by thesekiman (25 posts) -

Maaaan
i had the same problem. Using WindowsXP SP3. Double click on steam, nothing happens, Steam not starting.

Going to task manager, Steam.exe showing in processes but nothing happens.
OK, trying to install Steam again over current installation, no help. Going to support page, trying to disable Nod32, no help, disabling other running apps as Spybot, Activesync, Daemon, YahooWidgets, ObjectDock, AcrobatTray, ctfmon.exe, Webblinds, and still that didn't help.
OK, now i'm going to uninstall some of programs completely, DEL Nod32, Spybot, DaemonTools, and yet Steam failed to startup. Then i tried to reinstall steam from new, where i did big mistake because Steam uninstallation will delete your steamApps folder with all your games downloaded, i've lost about 40gb of games. AND YET THAT DIDN'T HELP. And after 15 minutes starring blank in front of monitor one thought came into my mind. My overclocked graphic card.

I have downclock my Nvidia 280gtx via RivaTuner, all settings to defaults, restart computer, and it WORKED!
Started Steam and it worked.
Later i've overclocked my graphic card again, just a little lower than before and Steam still working.

Nothing else helped for me, just restoring defaults for graphic card.

Hope this helps for someone.

#13 Posted by kamalsoni1234 (25 posts) -
hello everyone i m unable to play left 4 death 2 because of steam not starting how can i run this game thax in advance
#14 Posted by SpaceMoose (10789 posts) -
[QUOTE="kamalsoni1234"]hello everyone i m unable to play left 4 death 2 because of steam not starting how can i run this game thax in advance

Is Left 4 Death 2 the sequel to Left 4 Dead 2?
#15 Posted by Jarp3y (129 posts) -
[QUOTE="kamalsoni1234"]hello everyone i m unable to play left 4 death 2 because of steam not starting how can i run this game thax in advance

Hes obviously trying to pirate it
#16 Posted by gameofthering (11114 posts) -

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Try those!

sandeep410

already tried that nothing happened.I am using kasper sky.Anyway when i bought the task manager it showed steam was running weird.

That use to happen to me every time I started the PC. I had to stop it in the task manager and run STEAM again.