Steam machine - i'm really confused

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

I have been out of pc gaming for about 3 year's now after my last pc packed in. However recently i have had the urge to to get back into it and build my own. However at the same time i saw the announcements for the steam machine and os. However i'm confused with who this is actually aimed at in the first place.

I have heard it stated numerous times that it is aimed solely at steam user's, but how can it be, surely they already have built pc's running the steam client just fine as is, not needing to upgrade.

The second part that confuses me is that it is being thrown out there that it is the pc to make pc's more like a console in the home. The trouble i have with this however , is that the people who would want a pc to be more like a console, already have that in the ps4 and X1. Yes they don't have the potential power advantage as pc or steam box do, but if they want the simplified access to them they already have that and at a relatively cheaper price without the scare of needing to manually upgrade later on.

And the last statement leads directly into my last point. If these machines are going to be bought out as smaller pc's, what happens when the inevitable upgrade has to happen. Take the gpu as an example, every year they seem to be getting bigger and bigger, and from what i have seen so far from the released beta version's if they become the size on release, how are we supposed to upgrade if we are already pushing the cases space to the limits.

I like the idea behind the concept, i just really don't understand the way it has been done at all.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

If you play at a desk, build a normal PC (or buy prebuilt) and put normal Windows on it.

Steam Machines have yet to prove they are worth investing in.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

I was already leaning towards the traditional pc build anyway, but i must admit the steam machine did perk my interest, but i just wanted to no what they are actually for, but i suppose if i have to ask in the first then it isn't for me in the first place.

I just don't get why valve would put so much effort into something like this in the first place.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@lilkarlh666 said:

I was already leaning towards the traditional pc build anyway, but i must admit the steam machine did perk my interest, but i just wanted to no what they are actually for, but i suppose if i have to ask in the first then it isn't for me in the first place.

I just don't get why valve would put so much effort into something like this in the first place.

They are for people who don't know how to build their own pc and just aren't pc savvy. Its meant to reduce the barrier of entry to the PC market in terms of knowledge

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

@lilkarlh666 said:

This is value screw windows move and for stupid folks who can't be bother to build pc's or can't figure out how to use a part picker on a website.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Steam machines are geared towards the people who DON'T build PCs and are looking for a console-like gaming experience.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I look at it as a console system with the flexibility of PC hardware. Any PC can become a Steam Machine by installing the OS, and getting the controller. I know that Valve wants to divorce itself from Windows, and this is the early steps of that. It will take years for this system to build up popularity, but the potential is huge. As this generation of console hardware ages, the Steam Machines will only get more popular.

It is too early to tell where all this is going, but the potential is definitely there.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

If you play at a desk, build a normal PC (or buy prebuilt) and put normal Windows on it.

Do the opposite of this.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

Do the opposite of this.

Opposite of what?

Are you suggesting to him to invest in a Steam Machine?

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

pretty much this

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The whole point of the Steam Machine is to promote SteamOS and Linux support for gaming. I don't see Valve risking anything with this when 3rd party manufactures are investing in it and not Valve, Valve just has the controller and Big Picture/SteamOS to develop.

Just a prebuilt PC mini-itx build with Steam logo slapped onto it.

khindjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 khindjal
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Steam machines are for consolites that have a pc gamer in the house. The release of Steam family sharing with Steam machines is not a coincidence!

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

You can also dual boot SteamOS with Windows in a new build if you really want a gaming operating system.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@Falconoffury said:

I look at it as a console system with the flexibility of PC hardware. Any PC can become a Steam Machine by installing the OS, and getting the controller. I know that Valve wants to divorce itself from Windows, and this is the early steps of that. It will take years for this system to build up popularity, but the potential is huge. As this generation of console hardware ages, the Steam Machines will only get more popular.

It is too early to tell where all this is going, but the potential is definitely there.

So it comes down to prices (of the OS and the games).

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RadioGooGoo

@PfizersaurusRex: SteamOS is free. All Linux based OS's are free.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@RadioGooGoo said:

Ah cool :)

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I would be willing to try the OS to see the difference in gaming performance, but I bet its minimal. Also the streaming feature would be cool, but I mainly just want the controller lol....

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RadioGooGoo

@Arthas045: It most likely will improve performance, but it all depends on what you're running anyway. If you have a good GPU you're laughing anyway, so it won't make any difference really. If you have an ageing rig, it could make a difference potentially.

I'm looking forward to the controller as well. I can only presume it will be compatible with any PC, like the 360 or PS controllers. I think there might be quite a few people buying only controllers.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

They are for people who are too intimidated, or lazy, or uninterested in working on PC Hardware. Right now, I don't see how it will make it easier for people to know how powerful their PC is with so many different Steam boxes coming out. So, it's not going to be nearly as simple to use as a console, at least at the start.

They could build that in if they have a custom performance rating system though to make it easier.

Once they are released to extensive testing and such, maybe we could see performance improvements over playing in Windows, which would be good for us all.

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RadioGooGoo

@guynamedbilly: The idea of building a computer to the uninitiated must be daunting. I remember when I was younger I thought building a PC involved some handyman skillset, rather than just buying parts and sticking them in a box.

Valve is doing a good job of engaging new potential PC users via Steam Machines. The big problem as I see it is that they just announced 13 new Steam Machines, which I think would only confuse people on a different level altogether.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@RadioGooGoo: I believe I would pay money even if they released a beta controller or something not complete.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@RadioGooGoo said:

@guynamedbilly: The idea of building a computer to the uninitiated must be daunting. I remember when I was younger I thought building a PC involved some handyman skillset, rather than just buying parts and sticking them in a box.

Valve is doing a good job of engaging new potential PC users via Steam Machines. The big problem as I see it is that they just announced 13 new Steam Machines, which I think would only confuse people on a different level altogether.

it kind of does require a skillset. i dont know anyone besides me that can build a complete pc (in person)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

i'm also confused. it's not a PC (no Windows) and it's not powerful enough to run any proper games either. what is it for? playing Minecraft?

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

your just as confused as everyone else. i think it is valve take on trying to get into the console like market. they are doing anything they can to expand their OS

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@RadioGooGoo said:

No they aren't.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@way2funny said:

@lilkarlh666 said:

They are for people who don't know how to build their own pc and just aren't pc savvy. Its meant to reduce the barrier of entry to the PC market in terms of knowledge

That's probably the best argument I've heard against the Steam machine.

tester_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tester_guy
Member since 2003 • 56 Posts

@lilkarlh666: This is the shortest and most apt description of Steam machines:

Imagine paying $700 for a computer that can't run Windows and can only play maybe about a dozen not very famous indie games.

Revolutionary indeed.

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RadioGooGoo

@IvanElk: That's news to me. I know some distros charge for extra features, but even those ones have a free version of the OS.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

I'm confused too. I'll be buying a new PC in 2 years or so, and hopefully we'll know by then where Steam machine stands.

I'll likely be doing a budget build, so it might be a good alternative if the price is right.

Anyway, I'll see....

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

Do the opposite of this.

Opposite of what?

Are you suggesting to him to invest in a Steam Machine?

Computers and consoles are not investments. I bet you think cars are investments. I spend more money on scotch every year than computers. Steam machines are dope.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GummiRaccoon

@IvanElk said:

@RadioGooGoo said:

No they aren't.

The GPL requires that they are.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@IvanElk said:

@RadioGooGoo said:

No they aren't.

I don't know entirely how the Linux Licenses work, but I know some versions are NOT free.

For example Red Hat Enterprise: https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

Computers and consoles are not investments. I bet you think cars are investments. I spend more money on scotch every year than computers. Steam machines are dope.

I still don't get what you mean by dope? As in they are good?

Why would you buy a Steam box now? I have yet for someone to explain to me something it does better than Windows.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@IvanElk said:

@RadioGooGoo said:

No they aren't.

I don't know entirely how the Linux Licenses work, but I know some versions are NOT free.

RHEL is indeed free.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

I still don't get what you mean by dope? As in they are good?

Why would you buy a Steam box now? I have yet for someone to explain to me something it does better than Windows.

For starters, it isn't part of the microsoft botnet. It doesn't spy on you better.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

RHEL is indeed free.

Ummm....did you see the link?

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@lilkarlh666: Some of them are dual booting with Windows 7. You can also install it on your own and just attach your keyboard and mouse.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

RHEL is indeed free.

Where did they say it wasn't free software?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

RHEL is indeed free.

Ehh.... where the prices are I guess?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

RHEL is indeed free.

Who told you that charging for free software makes it proprietary?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

Eh, no one.

I was just responding to PfizersaurusRex post that all Linux OS are free. To use Red Hat you have to pay for example.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Eh, no one.

I was just responding to PfizersaurusRex post that all Linux OS are free. To use Red Hat you have to pay for example.

Red Hat is free, whether you pay for it or not.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FelipeInside

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Eh, no one.

Ok. I always thought you needed to pay for Red Hat Licensing. Hence that link I posted before.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GummiRaccoon

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Eh, no one.

Ok. I always thought you needed to pay for Red Hat Licensing. Hence that link I posted before.

The status of cost of red hat doesn't affect the status of it being free. That being said you can download RHEL without paying for it (legally). But that isn't what makes it free.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Eh, no one.

The status of cost of red hat doesn't affect the status of it being free. That being said you can download RHEL without paying for it (legally). But that isn't what makes it free.

Some of the server distros cost money (Novell for example sells an enterprise server distro). I know there used to be some other ones but I can't think of the names off the top of my head.

Also I thought that Red Hat enterprise distro did cost money? Unless that changed recently.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GummiRaccoon

@IvanElk said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Eh, no one.

Some of the server distros cost money (Novell for example sells an enterprise server distro). I know there used to be some other ones but I can't think of the names off the top of my head.

Also I thought that Red Hat enterprise distro did cost money? Unless that changed recently.

Do you guys not know what free software is?