Steam is a hazard to the future of gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ardent163 (407 posts) -

For all those single player games out there, it can't be stressed enough, but here's one more. C'mon folks, before you use your wallets, read at least about what you're getting into before buying a video game, if you really love the games you play.

You should be able to play them as long as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want.

Here's an incident that happend today with Steam involving the required updates for Steam games. It's been happening for a while, but it's caused many issues for people that own games like Skyrim, which usually have a plethora of mods.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/846940248175459878/

the same person posted in the Tips section

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/10/846940248171176806/

Feel free to discuss, but please keep it civil here. I just wanted provide info for people that use steam or might use it for future gaming.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
#2 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
I don't understand how is this an issue. If Steam detected an update, then just update it. If a person is so inclined to use mods in Skyrim, for example, then he/she would uncheck the "always update the game" and leave it at that. When someone is so adamant against updating a game, I start to suspect ulterior motives (piracy, for example).
#3 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Boo-hoo

#4 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24616 posts) -
ur a hazard to this forum
#5 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
If Steam detects an update AKA you're connected to the internet, you have no excuse not to be able to download the patch, if you're going to use the "yeah but I'm on the go and the connection doesn't allow me to"...what are you doing on the internet on games? You don't understand what you're saying, unless you meant your title as a "because people are incapable of managing their games and additional software". I'm quite pleased with DD clients and standalone games in general nowadays, forcing you to download (autodownload) te latest patch. Patches are always good, you'd think people understood this after decades of games, patches are not related to the genre.
#6 Posted by ardent163 (407 posts) -

Let's say someone with skyrim has a bunch of mods and they don't want to update thier game. They check the box to not update and then go offline. Well, sooner or later the Steam client will tell them that they must connect to net, in order to verify that they are the rightful owners of the content. There's no way around it. Apparently contesting the purchase for a refund has caused other people's accounts to be closed, due to Valve's zero tolerance policy and due to fraudulent behavior in general on Steam..... Apparently valve does not do refunds for digital downloads.

#7 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

If you block updates on Skyrim, you block updates on Skyrim, it's no magic, it's logic and it's a feature, most important of all it works, it won't ask you to update and it won't force you to update.

#8 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -

Apparently valve does not do refunds for digital downloads.

ardent163
Woah woah this is some scientific breakthrough now. It's no harm, it gets to stop potential pirates and it's ridiculous not wanting to update Dishonored.
#9 Posted by YoshiYogurt (6008 posts) -
Games are the price of rentals during sales. I really don't care what happens to them when I finish. They aren't even physical.
#10 Posted by ardent163 (407 posts) -

This is a perfectly legit issue with DRM that steam uses and I'm simply using it as an example to inform anyone that doesn't know what they're actually buying into when they get games on steam. I'm not continuing this discussion further due to the volitile nature of the comments here. I asked though that the topic be kept civil.. There you go anyways.

#11 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

vsi2pw.png

What on earth..

scaledphpserver195filen.png

#12 Posted by dannenissan2 (1890 posts) -
This is not an issue if you live in a place with modern infrastructure.
#13 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

This is an issue with DRM that steam uses and I'm simply using it as an example to inform anyone that doesn't know what they're actually buying into when they get games on steam. I'm not continueing this discussion further due to the volitile nature of the comments here. I asked though that the topic be kept civil.. There you go anyways.

ardent163

It's because you're complaining about a non-issue. Automatic updates are by and large a good thing, and you can turn them off for specific games if you want to.

#14 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

this thread gave me cancer

#15 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Sounds like someone doesn't know how to click a check box. Steam is only a hazard to my wallet.

#16 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

[QUOTE="ardent163"]

This is an issue with DRM that steam uses and I'm simply using it as an example to inform anyone that doesn't know what they're actually buying into when they get games on steam. I'm not continueing this discussion further due to the volitile nature of the comments here. I asked though that the topic be kept civil.. There you go anyways.

metroidfood

It's because you're complaining about a non-issue. Automatic updates are by and large a good thing, and you can turn them off for specific games if you want to.

Seriously. Stupid people need to learn that optional things aren't problems.

#17 Posted by flipin_jackass (9770 posts) -
If you're going to install a crap load of mods, you can't play dumb later on and say "oh well I didn't know they was gonna patch the game"
#18 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

I think its good for the future of pc gaming. A lot more people are buying a lot more games and building gaming pc's because games are so cheap and easy to get into now.

#19 Posted by Socijalisticka (1555 posts) -

next you're going to tell me that you dont own the gaems you buy!

#20 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

For all those single player games out there, it can't be stressed enough, but here's one more. C'mon folks, before you use your wallets, read at least about what you're getting into before buying a video game, if you really love the games you play.

You should be able to play them as long as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want.

Here's an incident that happend today with Steam involving the required updates for Steam games. It's been happening for a while, but it's caused many issues for people that own games like Skyrim, which usually have a plethora of mods.

Feel free to discuss, but please keep it civil here. I just wanted provide info for people that use steam or might use it for future gaming.

ardent163

genius.jpg

Menus only work when you use them.

#21 Posted by Falconoffury (1722 posts) -

Steam has a scary power over my game collection. A Valve employee need only click a mouse or press some keys, and my account is suspended, along with all my Steam games. GoG.com is the only digital download service I feel comfortable using. DRM has been, and always will be a factor in my purchasing decisions. I recommend all gamers do the same.

#22 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Steam has a scary power over my game collection. A Valve employee need only click a mouse or press some keys, and my account is suspended, along with all my Steam games. GoG.com is the only digital download service I feel comfortable using. DRM has been, and always will be a factor in my purchasing decisions. I recommend all gamers do the same.

Falconoffury

Yeah. It's just too bad that most game publishers have their own DRM, besides Steam, and because of that, they don't sell their games on GOG. That's why GOG has like... a whole mess of ancient games.. and The Witcher.

#23 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
People not knowing how to use Steam and then complaining about it. Mkay
#24 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -

Falconoffury
If you're getting your account suspended you most probably did something to deserve it, so it's in fact not only fair but actually satisfying.
#25 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

ardent163
They do in certain cases (War Z being an example), but no one does refunds for digital downloads, it's just the way things are.
#26 Posted by nutcrackr (13029 posts) -
STEAM IS THE DEBIL
Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
#27 Posted by FamilyGuyFan507 (2463 posts) -

Why are people in this thread treating Steam like this is some sort of Government conspiracy? hahahaha. Ridiculous.

#28 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Why are people in this thread treating Steam like this is some sort of Government conspiracy? hahahaha. Ridiculous.

FamilyGuyFan507

Its pretty much just the OP. And he's been ridiculed. It's all good.

#29 Posted by topgunmv (10753 posts) -

[QUOTE="ardent163"]

the_bi99man

genius.jpg

Will it still let you play the game though after an update comes out, or will it spit out a screen the moment you try to play that says the game needs to update and that you won't be able to play until it does?

#30 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="ardent163"]

topgunmv

genius.jpg

Will it still let you play the game though after an update comes out, or will it spit out a screen the moment you try to play that says the game needs to update and that you won't be able to play until it does?

Only if you play multiplayer, otherwise singleplayer is perfectly playable.
#31 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]If Steam detects an update AKA you're connected to the internet, you have no excuse not to be able to download the patch, if you're going to use the "yeah but I'm on the go and the connection doesn't allow me to"...what are you doing on the internet on games? You don't understand what you're saying, unless you meant your title as a "because people are incapable of managing their games and additional software". I'm quite pleased with DD clients and standalone games in general nowadays, forcing you to download (autodownload) te latest patch. Patches are always good, you'd think people understood this after decades of games, patches are not related to the genre.

Actually I've had an issue.. I live in the country with very strict data caps. I don't want to go through 100+ games selecting each on and tell it not to update which I have to do because randomly a game I missed did an update.. some updates are HUGE (several gigs) and I only get 10 gig a month. Not everyone lives in a big city with unlimited data.. it would be nice if that were possible but its not.
#32 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

genius.jpg

EliteM0nk3y

Only if you play multiplayer, otherwise singleplayer is perfectly playable.

That's been my experience, too. It'll make you update to play multiplayer games, for obvious reasons. But single player games will work just fine.

In fact, the OP mentions Skyrim specifically, and I actually have Skyrim set to not auto update, myself. I don't want it updating because I have a bunch of mods, and they sometimes break with new patches. My skyrim is actually still such an old version, I don't have horseback combat.

Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
#33 Posted by i_saw_a_mudcrab (1015 posts) -

so steam is yet another orpessive restrictive DRM system, but with good publicity, unlike others? I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED

#34 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
umm. dude doesn't want to update game because of something happen with skirim? umm ok so it's the demise of pc gaming future?
#35 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

so steam is yet another orpessive restrictive DRM system, but with good publicity, unlike others? I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED

i_saw_a_mudcrab
you got it...
#36 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

People not knowing how to use Steam and then complaining about it. MkayIantheone

Basically, it's the same old sad excuse since 2004

#37 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Steam IS a hazard to the future of PC gaming. Just not in the way that you listed.
#38 Posted by bonafidetk (3911 posts) -

The original point is moot because you can stop games from automatically updating.

Saying that however, obviously, multiplayer games need to be updated if you want to play them with other people.

#39 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5895 posts) -
[QUOTE="ardent163"]

EliteM0nk3y
They do in certain cases (War Z being an example), but no one does refunds for digital downloads, it's just the way things are.

The EB games where I live don't even do refunds on physical copies of PC games, so it's not even an issue exclusive to digital downloads.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
#40 Posted by deactivated-5920bf77daa85 (3270 posts) -

Steam as DRM is an annoyance, like any other online DRM. I prefer programming that adds something to games. It's nice you can disable auto-update, because I hate it. Last time I made the mistake of loading TDU2 up with the internet, it tried to download 600MB of a "patch". And, in games like the Sims 3, updates can break game features, add resource hogging ones that nobody asked for, or just add a bunch of new bugs.

That said, you can get things for cheap on Steam. And for people who treat games as rentals, and publishers who would like to sell games as rentals, it works. Plus, my steam version of GTA4 actually works, as opposed to the retail boxed version, which doesn't like to install.

DRM in general has been a boon to my wallet. Hard to justify paying full price for online activation/steamworks.

#41 Posted by SharkheadHD (227 posts) -

Way to use a sensationalist title. It's more like a minor inconvenience, one that can be easily resolved with a few clicks.

#42 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

I don't have a problem with this.