Steam has the potential, why dont they use it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

In my opinion, Steam is the Xbox Live of Computers, if only they can get it right. Everything is in place, all they need to do is work with the publishers. Allow us to enter our retail CD keys into Steam, and then let us play without the discs. If they made it required then it would certainly cut down on pirating as well, because no key could be used twice.

Second, work with the publishers, and get them to sign on. Offer them a good deal of money, and then sell their games. If they can get a majority of the new titles Steam-ready, then it will be incredible!

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
it's bandwidth mainly, though I agree that for games already on Steam you should be able to enter CD keys to get them on your account.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hockeyruler12

it's bandwidth mainly, though I agree that for games already on Steam you should be able to enter CD keys to get them on your account.Hewkii

its very annoying that i can have the retail version of a game that is offered on steam, but it wont let me activate it

and for those who say that piracy will ruin PC gaming, all they would have to do is make it required. If you put a CD in your PC, you HAVE to register it with your steam account, and nobody else can use it.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

But a lot of people have issues with Steam - if they had no choice but to use Steam with all games, then they would be absolutely screwed.

I would support this is Valve could get it 100% right, but so far it is anything but.

I love Steam, but what you're suggesting would hurt almost as many people as it would help right now.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hockeyruler12

But a lot of people have issues with Steam - if they had no choice but to use Steam with all games, then they would be absolutely screwed.

I would support this is Valve could get it 100% right, but so far it is anything but.

I love Steam, but what you're suggesting would hurt almost as many people as it would help right now.

mfsa

what are the issues with it?

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

hockeyruler12

I have no problems with Steam so I don't know the specifics, but if you make a thread asking people if they like Steam or not, you will find a lot of people saying it sucks due to issues they have had with the program.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hockeyruler12
[QUOTE="hockeyruler12"][QUOTE="mfsa"]

mfsa

I have no problems with Steam so I don't know the specifics, but if you make a thread asking people if they like Steam or not, you will find a lot of people saying it sucks due to issues they have had with the program.

hmm...thats odd...ive had absolutely no problems with it (aside from the CD retail keys thing)

a possibility is maybe work with microsoft. If it means getting is as perfect as Xbox Live (except Free), then i say full "steam" ahead. Yes that was a lame pun

Avatar image for Mapleleafs4life
Mapleleafs4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mapleleafs4life
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts
its not as easy as it sounds. Xbox live works perfectly on the xbox because all people playing on it are on the same exact hardware that is doing the same exact thing and it is made for it. Computers are far more complicating just because you can literally customize any aspect of a pc. Not everyone is going to be on the same hardware and there is alot of compatibilty issues because of that. There is alot more things to it as well but I dont feel like typing a huge paragraph so I'm basically just gonna say its never going to happen, its far too complicating and honestly the way games are now are perfectly fine to me, I agree with the cd key thing on steam though. I've lost my cd keys for alot of my games that I now can't play online with.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts

well steam is definately getting more attention from publishers, loads of companies have signed up within the last year. then of course theres the smaller devs who are also giving steam a go. its great to see.

my own personal experience of the service is also pretty good. i havent had any major problems with it. my only complaint is that i have to have steam running in the background to play a steam bought game which is a little annoying...but its not a huge deal.

however whats ppls position on having one service only for games distribution? should there be competing services or should everything, past, present and future be put under steams wing?

im not so sure id like a one service monoply to be honest.

Feran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Feran
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts
Steam dose have the odd hick up every once in a while, like the fact that developers like Ubisodt and Atari only allow people to download their games through steam via North America only, but from what I understand its not entirly steams fault and IGNs direct downloads also suffer from the same problem. Steam has come a long way from its humble begining and continues to grow..

Long live steam :D
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

In my opinion, Steam is the Xbox Live of Computers

hockeyruler12

Does Steam provide an integrated online service just like Xbox Live? Is it just like X-fire? Which is better?

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

a possibility is maybe work with microsoft. If it means getting is as perfect as Xbox Live (except Free), then i say full "steam" ahead. Yes that was a lame pun

hockeyruler12

Microsoft wouldn't go for the "Free" thing. They're already trying to push their "Windows Live" service which is almost in direct competition with Steam, only it's a two tiered system like Xbox Live.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
What, so people without the internet can't play video games :|?
Sonir77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sonir77
Member since 2006 • 1846 Posts
I think there doing a fantastic job, the acheivment system is the best
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I wish. Retail games are easily lost but if I could store Starcraft and all the games I've lost on Steam, I'd be set. But then there's the people with slow internet and inexperienced PC users who can't get the most out of Steam.
Angarah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Angarah
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

I remember when I couldnt play Portal because I wasnt connected to the internet.

That is why i will NEVER support Steam. It doesn't make my life easier. It makes it harder, by making me use a SECONDARY program to play my own games.

It's BS.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

I remember when I couldnt play Portal because I wasnt connected to the internet.

That is why i will NEVER support Steam. It doesn't make my life easier. It makes it harder, by making me use a SECONDARY program to play my own games.

It's BS.

Angarah

you had to connect to the internet to play on single player? thats sucks. i dont use use steam , but i always heard that you dont have to connect to the net to play singleplayer games.i though only steam had to be put on offline mode you could play your sp game without net. maybe i was told lie by steam fans. who knows.

thanks for the heads up. i was actually thinking of getting half life anthology. now il never even consider it.

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts
You can run Steam in offline mode and play singleplayer games offline... unless you pause an update download and log off, or something like that. That is one of the little bugs that needs to be worked out, though. I know my friend has had problems with running in offline mode, but I've never had any.
ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#21 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

Buying a game with Steam and then not being able to activate it is very frustrating. I use it as a last resort. I'd rather have the disc-in-hand.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
Steam is a nice idea and i think its great and should be more widely used. personally i love steam and the problems i had where solved by promptly solved by there tech support
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts

I think it's a bit of a rip off. It should be cheaper than shop prices not the same price.

Think about it, they don't pay for packaging/shipping.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Second, work with the publishers, and get them to sign on. Offer them a good deal of money, and then sell their games.hockeyruler12

Valve is working with major publishers and small developers alike and they're getting loads of support real fast, but Valve is not Microsoft...they can't buy support.

I have no problems with Steam so I don't know the specifics, but if you make a thread asking people if they like Steam or not, you will find a lot of people saying it sucks due to issues they have had with the program.mfsa

Most of those people hold a grudge that goes back to 2004 when Steam had serious issues. Steam works great now.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

Steam does indeed rock...!

No problems here...

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

digital download is the future. get onboard, folks!

I think it's a bit of a rip off. It should be cheaper than shop prices not the same price.

Think about it, they don't pay for packaging/shipping.

death1505921

i do agree with you, though. it should be cheaper. ut3 is still $50; you can find the game for $30 these days. it's just too much.

but then again, prey for $5 and id super pack for $70 - sometimes, the prices on steam are just out of this world.