Steam: Free to play.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bjorkfund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Bjorkfund
Member since 2010 • 127 Posts

So i just recently noticed that there's been released a lot of free to play games on steam lately.

Are any of them good at all (TF2 excluded naturally) and even worth trying?

(The games are: Spiral Knights, Global Agenda, Forsaken World, Alliance of Valiant Arms, Champions Online, War Inc. Battlezone, CrimeCraft: Bleedout)

Avatar image for WorldComingDown
WorldComingDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WorldComingDown
Member since 2010 • 358 Posts

I asked the same question just last night and decided to download a few.

One I tried and immediately did not like at all is Global Agenda. Funny because I was very close to actually buying this at it's release. The combat is just downright awful I felt. I dont like to take a swing at something, killing it but having no impact sound and having the enemy drop half a secod later.

Also tried out Crimecraft. Now the combat is much better in this one but the tutorial was awful. Also there are only 2 servers. I played it once in the morning and the other in the eventing and both times I started at around no. 500 in queue. Had to wait at least a good 20 mins to get in. The game aint worth the wait. :P

Thats all I tried. Hope this helps.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
Global Agenda seemed okay to me, all I really played was the tutorial though as it crashes moving to new area, liked the jetpack and guns though. Spiral Knights has some nice ideas but I think the basic gameplay is lacking.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts
Spiral Knights is okay, but I wouldn't really bother to put much time into it. Global Agenda is the same really - the mechanics aren't too bad, but it feels like a dying MMO.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
I really like champions online, but i'm a gold user can't say much about the free users
Bjorkfund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bjorkfund
Member since 2010 • 127 Posts
Champions Online and Spiral Knights sound kinda interesting, might chech it out! Thanks for the help, internets to yall
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Spiral Knights is decent, Global Agenda gets boring fast but it's worth it for a few hours, the rest are from bad to terrible.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Well, they are free... So just try them out yourself.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
I've heard decent things about AVA.
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Champions Online is worth downloading for the character creator alone. I didn't like the actual game though.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

So i just recently noticed that there's been released a lot of free to play games on steam lately.

Are any of them good at all (TF2 excluded naturally) and even worth trying?

(The games are: Spiral Knights, Global Agenda, Forsaken World, Alliance of Valiant Arms, Champions Online, War Inc. Battlezone, CrimeCraft: Bleedout)

Bjorkfund

trackmani nations forever

alien swarm

moonbase alpha

americas army 3

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#12 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

The only one of those free to play games I tried was Spiral Knight and it was okay.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Champions Online is worth downloading for the character creator alone. I didn't like the actual game though.

agpickle

yea CO is pretty neat to fool around with and make heroes. Avoid Global Agenda, game is terribad (coming from a person with a few hundred hours of it before it went free). Spiral Knights is also great. Moonbase Alpha is also a great puzzle game, can be done in co-op too

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
wow, nobody heres tried forsaken world?? its a pretty damn good free to play game. i have mabey about 2-10 hours invested in it. the perform server maintenance, the servers are easy to get into. the game is fairly easy to pick up and get into....great mmo for people that dont feel like dropping loads on the hardcore games like WoW, Starcraft and a whole lotta others. overall id say that its well worth the DL. the story so far is fantastic. that so far is the only free to play game that ive found to be good. i tried Spiral knights and it just wasnt that great....i mean i cant really say personally what it was missing but i just didnt get into it like i got into FW. and i also have Americas Army 3. so far ive only played through SOME of the training but the game definatly has potential. i have some others too but i havent really tried them...yet.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
  1. Forsaken World - Like wow but somehow more dull. Was meh.
  2. Alliance of Valiant Arms - It's an FPS with really odd feeling gun play, I didn't like it.
  3. Spiral Knights - Not to bad but the combat wasn't too exciting. Was alright.
  4. Champions Online - Could not get the camera control down. Other than that its an MMO with an awesome character customization.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="agpickle"]

wis3boi

yea CO is pretty neat to fool around with and make heroes. Avoid Global Agenda, game is terribad (coming from a person with a few hundred hours of it before it went free). Spiral Knights is also great. Moonbase Alpha is also a great puzzle game, can be done in co-op too

That makes perfect sense, who doesn't play a few hundred hours of a game they consider terrible ;).