STEAM BOX Coming Soon...

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#101 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]So many people mad over such a great idea. Bringing more people into the fold means more dollars to developers to keep making the games we love. So many self righteous, myopic, elitist people here it is crazy. I don't think it will necessarily "save" PC gaming (or that it needs saving to begin with) but it could turn out to be really awesome. If not, don't buy it. The PC gamer "master race" stereotype is alive and well here.

I think you missed the point. The Steam Box won't save PC gaming; it isn't a gaming PC at all. It's a console that plays "PC games" via Steam's Big Picture Mode. I think that the OUYA lines up with the average PC gamer's views a bit better than the Steam Box.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#102 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

What's the point of Steam Box when you can just literally turn your own PC into one by hooking it to the TV and using Big Picture?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

What's the point of Steam Box when you can just literally turn your own PC into one by hooking it to the TV and using Big Picture?

mhofever
It depends on what it actually is. If it's a powerful PC in a small form factor that's quiet like consoles are, and the games you buy on it are still cross platform with Steam for PC, then it would be nice to not have to have this noisy, giant monster sitting in my living room. I'm skeptical, but interested.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#104 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

mhofever
Because of convenience. Steambox will act like a gaming console. A lot of people are too lazy to move their gaming PC from the desktop to the living room, let alone build their own rig. This one comes built for you and it'll probably be easy to carry like console systems that are out now.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#105 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

mhofever
By mass producing the hardware Valve can make the Steambox MUCH cheaper than a similarly specced pc. Thus appealing to both average pc gamers that are tired of upgrading every few years and consolegamers interested in pcgaming but being put off by the expensive upgrading. Hardcore gamers will obviously stick to their own pc's.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Valve should focus on bringing more media, specifically music, shows, and film, to Steam than this...thing.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
I don't really see who's the target with this. I can't imagine myself, as a primarily PC gamer, forking over the money for a consolized computer. Nor can I imagine my friend who is a primarily console gamer leaving the Xbox or PS.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#108 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Valve should focus on bringing more media, specifically music, shows, and film, to Steam than this...thing.

mrbojangles25

So Steam will be like, another Xbox Live? I'm sure it will happen right after this thing launches. With Steambox coming, you can bet that they will expand into a media hub (Movies, shows, music). First step, console system.

CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#109 CoS_Ethan
Member since 2011 • 381 Posts

This is gonna be hot...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="mhofever"]

PetJel
By mass producing the hardware Valve can make the Steambox MUCH cheaper than a similarly specced pc. Thus appealing to both average pc gamers that are tired of upgrading every few years and consolegamers interested in pcgaming but being put off by the expensive upgrading. Hardcore gamers will obviously stick to their own pc's.

They can optimize the OS for games as well :D Honestly, I'd gladly pick one of these up if they are appropriately priced.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#111 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
I will be interested but ultimately the price and hardware in the system will determine my purchase.
Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#112 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
Do to think it's possible that it would have swappable parts? So that down the line you could upgrade the graphics card? That would be a huge plus over consoles in my mind.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Do to think it's possible that it would have swappable parts? So that down the line you could upgrade the graphics card? That would be a huge plus over consoles in my mind.Will47
If it caught on, the video card manufacturers would probably make some that would fit, but If they are trying to make it a smaller box like a console I highly doubt you could just put any video card in it.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
Anyone remember the Phantom game console from 10 years back? It was supposed to do what the Steam box console is going to do. I think those guys were seeing into the future or something.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

As long as their focus on the pc community doesn't drop im not bothered. Valve are a good dev and if they get richer then it is a good thing.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Do to think it's possible that it would have swappable parts? So that down the line you could upgrade the graphics card? That would be a huge plus over consoles in my mind.Will47
I doubt it would have fully upgradeable parts because the cost would be too high and there probably would be no point making a console. but a simple swappable low end graphics card would be pretty cool.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#117 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

I don't see the point of Valve creating a straight-up PC to plug into your TV. You can already plug most modern PCs into your television. The point is to make a Steam-based gaming system that is easy to setup and control with only a controller. Valve is saying it will be a controlled environment, but that is in comparison to the PC environment. It can still be much more flexible than any other console environment. Give them a chance.

Falconoffury

The point is likely to make a consolized PC for console gamers who are to lazy to set up at PC properly but who want to play PC games. Steam itself is already a walled garden - a "software console", if you will. One that it is getting increasingly hard to ignore, I might add - speaking from my own subjective perspective, of course.

I do think that it is way better than any Xbox, PlayStation or Wii in every way, but there are still major concerns about allowing Steam control over the games you play. And one day it will be gone - with it also all the games you ever bought from them.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

In other words a console.

topgunmv

Pretty much... Gabe has also moved to console gaming now...