STEAM BOX Coming Soon...

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]You do know there is a massive indie base in the pc community, and specific small time devs pretty much go after this demographic.. It seems like you guys are b!tching just to B!tch because there are both types of games out right now.. Who the hell cares what super popular games are out right now were great.. The great pc games out there were rarely EVER popular in the idea we know it now except for select few ones.. Morphsis
I'm the only one who doesn't really understands what he is trying to say ?

No... you are not...i mean i can guess what he try's to say...

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Not really interested in this personally but its a good thing in that it will make pc gaming more accessible to more people but what I would really want to see for pc gaming to improve the controller experience is a tablet controller like the wiiu(but with with analog triggers). The screen would have its on onboard memory and its built in kb/m mapping software so for games with no or incomplete gamepad support you could configure key mappings and all the settings on the controller it self while in the game as opposed to now where you have to alt-tab to desktop and go to your kb/m to tweak stuff in xpadder till you get what works this would be more convenient. Although it should still have a desktop program for auto detecting pc games and configuring with a keyboard and mouse on a large monitor vs 4"-7" screen is quicker but tweaking the settings just right is more of a hassle then it has to be right now.

The screen could also act as a keyboard for typing and a mouse or navigating around the desktop maybe have a built in gyro sensor for that although personally I'd just use config like I do now for xpadder where I have mapped the mouse movement and various media keys to the gamepad buttons and analog sticks as the default config and it then switches automatically to different config that I have configured for each game(have to set that for each individual game I want to play with a gamepad would be easier to do with a tablet on controller that let me configure those settings on it). Modular controller parts like swapping the analog sticks for trackballs would be nice to for fps.

Of course the thing that will improve the controller experience the most on pc is more games offering perfect pc gamepad support like what you see in portal 2 or counterstrike go( full analog movement,rumble,can remap controller buttons, and can seamlessly switch between using a controller and kb/m). If steam big picture mode and the steambox help push that in more pc games from now that will be fantastic :D now if valve would just add official splitscreen support in there games and they would pretty much the shining example of a perfect pc game from an option standpoint there 95% of the way there already.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

People, calm down. We need to look at reality from the perspective of an outsider to understand what is going on. There are three types of people who play PC games:

1. Little girls who only play The Sims,

2. Your grandmas who play solitaire and Facebook games,

3. And us, who play more "hardcore" games.

The question is, where does the Call of Duty type gamer fit into this picture? The answer is that they don't. The COD series sells MUCH better on consoles than it does for PC because PC isn't perceived as a traditional gaming platformto the vast majority of the gaming population. This is why multiplat games more often than not sell more on consoles than on PC.

What we see here is a disconnect between the PC platform and game consoles. This is a problem because there are a huge amount of developers (small independent developers who probably make up a majority of developers) who don't have access to this console market due to the demands of M$ and Sony for putting content on their respective DD services. It is essentially dividing the industry. If this Steambox catches on with the console gamer crowd (and with some good marketing and word of mouth i'm sure it will), then indie developers will be able to make that simple game that they would have made only for the limited hardcore gaming PC crowd, for the console crowd as well. I actually know people from that COD crowd who thought Crysis looked really good and went out and bought it. Guess what? Their PC ran it like crap and they were never able to play it. That is a problem.

Developers who want to create ultra-high detail games can of course develop for the regular PC like they've always done. This Steambox will be an excellent bridge between PC developers and console gamers. I forsee nothing but positive things coming from this, if it succeeds.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]You do know there is a massive indie base in the pc community, and specific small time devs pretty much go after this demographic.. It seems like you guys are b!tching just to B!tch because there are both types of games out right now.. Who the hell cares what super popular games are out right now were great.. The great pc games out there were rarely EVER popular in the idea we know it now except for select few ones.. Morphsis

No he's right, you are just b.itching cause of b.itching and playing the nostalgia game without even truly analyzing the market.

The fact that you compare FarCry 3 to FarCry 2 and said it was the same game with better graphics already tells me you haven't played either. Far Cry 3 was a huge improvement, both from part 1 and definitely from part 2. It probably IS the best fully packed FPS this year, together with Dishonored.

I too love my old games, but let's be real, you are just going on nostalgia. If you go back and play Doom right now and compare it to modern good FPS, it lacks behind in every aspect. Not saying Doom wasn't good, cause it was... but games have evolved past that.

All ur post was based on was graphics, saying that the gameplay isn't better. FarCry 3 is still a shooter, yes, it's not going to morph into an RTS, but it's hell of a lot different from part 2.

You rant on and on about gameplay mechanics. This is quite funny since old school games had the most BASIC game mechanics ever created, yet modern games test your skill with a variety of mechanics, from controls, to thinking puzzles, to real time QTE, to visual mechanics, the list goes on (Play "The Experiment" for example).

Other SMALLER games like The Walking Dead, Limbo, Deadlight, Mark of The Ninja, Specs Ops, Dear Esther, Trine and the list goes on are all superb, relying on story, atmosphere, immersion and characters more than graphics to produce an excellent game.Your points are all invalid.

And again lol saying I buy games cause they look awesome. I bought "To the Moon", which is a fantastic titles that doesn't rely on graphics at all.

Like I said before, you can stay in the past and live crying about it all....or enjoy the awesome titles we get each year where PC is bigger than ever. Your choice.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

Steam Box 180

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Makes sense. With all the new features that Steam has gotten the past few years, it makes it much more suitable to be used on a TV. Steam Workshop allows you to install mods and stuff without having to navigate through your game directories and Big Picture Mode allows UI navigation with a controller.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#57 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] I guess Valve realizes that PC gamers are actually just console gamers nowadays. There' literally no difference except that we buy more games on average. Any old school pc gamers are immediately labelled trolls if they mention that games today aren't even worth playing anymore.Morphsis
Well....you can feel all sad and go back to ur "old school" games and label every game these days horrible and not worth playing, while the rest of us enjoy the awesome titles we get week after week.

What awesome titles do we get week after week ? Almost EVERY game that came out this year on pc it failed, compared with the other titles in its series. Look at MoH Warfighter, you can compare it with Doom 2, or something similar with that, but with better graphics. Same with Far Cry 3. It is said to be the best FPS of the year. But compared with Far Cry 2, or 1, it's the same game with better graphics. That's all. It's like watching a movie over and over again, but on better TVs ... Thats why "old school" gamers are so offended, they have nothing good to play. If i want graphics i can just go to cinema and watch a animation movie. That's why we have COMPUTERS, and COMPUTER GAMES, to PLAY a game, not to admire it's graphics. It is fine that we came to this point where we have this evolved games regarding graphics, but what about the gameplay mechanics ? What about the actual game ? They don't make that kind of games anymore, sadly, and that's because of people like you who buy a game because it looks awesome.

You obviously never played FC2 and FC3 because FC3 is much better and feels like a much different game. I was expecting the same game as FC2 but with better graphics myself, but when I played FC3 its MUCh better then FC2 in almsot every single possible way.

FC2 was complete trash and FC3 is good fun, ubisoft surprised me alot.

And you want a list of all the good games from this year? There was quite alot of good games compared to the last few years.

- The Walking Dead

- Borderlands 2

- FTL: Faster Than Light (PC Exclusive)

- Legend of Grimrock (PC exclusives)

- Orcs Must Die 2(PC exclusive)

- DAYZ (PC exclusive)

- Farcry3

- Sleeping Dogs

- Xcom

- NBA2k13

- Fallen Enchantress (PC exclusive)

- Guild Wars 2 (PC exclusive)

- Counterstrike GO

- AC 3

- Chivalry (PC exclusive)

- MP 3

- Dishonered

- Natural Selection 2 (PC exclusive)

- Hitman Absolution

- Sins Of A Solar Empire: Rebellion (PC exclusive)

- Mark Of The Ninja

- Torchlight 2

- Planetside 2 (PC exclusive)

Not to mention some good Expansion packs = CIV5 Expansion and the wonderful Anno2070 Deep Ocean expansion pack

Graphics is my least important aspect of gaming, gameplay is most important to me and there was a ton of godo games this year from a gameplay aspect.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#58 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]i think they are just trying to avoid making the next half-lifeC2N2

Nah Half Life 3 will launch as a Steambox exclusive next year.

That would be a really ****** if they pulled that. Especially considering how long many us waited for some semblance of a new Halflife game, either Episode 3 or a brand new sequel.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

If this Steambox catches on with the console gamer crowd (and with some good marketing and word of mouth i'm sure it will), then indie developers will be able to make that simple game that they would have made only for the limited hardcore gaming PC crowd, for the console crowd as well.

hoola
First of all, that's never going to happen. Common sense man, do you use it? Second, your signature is ridiculous. Valve is one of the most Marxist-like companies I've ever seen in America. Gabe even refuses to be known as the "CEO" because he says there are no bosses at Valve... Sound familiar? Might want to do some research on Marxism to see the similarities.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#60 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts
[QUOTE="hoola"]

If this Steambox catches on with the console gamer crowd (and with some good marketing and word of mouth i'm sure it will), then indie developers will be able to make that simple game that they would have made only for the limited hardcore gaming PC crowd, for the console crowd as well.

SKaREO
First of all, that's never going to happen. Common sense man, do you use it? Second, your signature is ridiculous. Valve is one of the most Marxist-like companies I've ever seen in America. Gabe even refuses to be known as the "CEO" because he says there are no bosses at Valve... Sound familiar? Might want to do some research on Marxism to see the similarities.

1. Valve is awesome, why would you tell someone that it's bad to recognize them in their sig? 2. Valve isn't a government. I think it's good that Gabe Newell wants to keep himself approachable and work hands-on with the projects? I think that it's commendable.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SKaREO
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="hoola"]

realguitarhero5

1. Valve is awesome, why would you tell someone that it's bad to recognize them in their sig? 2. Valve isn't a government. I think it's good that Gabe Newell wants to keep himself approachable and work hands-on with the projects? I think that it's commendable.

Communism starts at the economic level. It's a socioeconomic philosophy, not just a government policy. The government has very little to do with the means of production. Valve is anti-capitalist in the sense that they do not value class structure or hierarchical management. It is the very essence of communism.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 FelipeInside

realguitarhero5

Valve make great games, but I'm not a fan of Gabe. He is probably one of the most hypocritical people I've ever encountered.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#63 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="realguitarhero5"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] First of all, that's never going to happen. Common sense man, do you use it? Second, your signature is ridiculous. Valve is one of the most Marxist-like companies I've ever seen in America. Gabe even refuses to be known as the "CEO" because he says there are no bosses at Valve... Sound familiar? Might want to do some research on Marxism to see the similarities.

Communism starts at the economic level. It's a socioeconomic philosophy, not just a government policy. The government has very little to do with the means of production. Valve is anti-capitalist in the sense that they do not value class structure or hierarchical management. It is the very essence of communism.

If it's a company, I don't see a problem with it. Unlike being a citizen of a Communist country, no one at Valve is being forced to work there. And like I said, I think it is a good business approach both for PR and employee happiness (they know their boss and they know that he is "one of them" and not one of those CEOs that runs their business from one of their vacation homes that they travel between on a private jet.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

In other words a console.

jakes456

in other words garbage.

Man, you just hate everything dont you? This is really good news, exactly what Ive been waiting all year to hear from Valve. Hope it works out for them
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

That you don't need to be playing these games to begin with.. That your crying about games like Farcry 3 that is like its predecessors (who would have fvcking thought, a sequel has similar gameplay to its older games!).. It honestly seems like you guys are just looking for reasons to cry about something.. And this is coming from some one that has no desire nor care to play Farcry 3 and has only played and beaten Farcry 1.. We get it, you don't like mainstream games.. Lucky for us all, we have a massive indie and small dev base that makes games that don't apply to this catagory.. That is my point.. If there is really something to complain about its the graphic whoring of teh genre where it seems like graphics take over everything.. But that would be a bit hypocritical because I have seen quite a few of these "old school" gamers cry about subpar graphics in games.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

[QUOTE="hoola"]

SKaREO

If valve is able to reach a new market with this Steambox then indie developers WILL have access to a completely different customer base. I don't know how you can possibly disagree. Unless you are arguing that it is unlikely that they will successful. I will not argue against that because it may be true.

Regarding Valve and communism - not having a traditional management structure doesn't mean it is structured more like a communist company than, say, a government-less free market system. Nobody has any true legal authority in a communist society, but the same applies to a true free market. Nobody has any legal power over anyone else. Then consider that at Valve there IS true structure within projects, like there is true structure within companies in a free market . Proof is that there was recently an interview with Marc Laidlaw and he commented that there were areas that he was not allowed to go in because the people in charge of those projects didn't want anyone seeing what they were working on. Also, people at Valve earn money, which doesn't exist in a perfect communist society.

I have actually been thinking about Valve's structure lately and wondering if it would be possible if they didn't have Steam providing them with a constant source of money. I honestly don't think it would be.

AlexZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 AlexZor
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

I have actually been thinking about Valve's structure lately and wondering if it would be possible if they didn't have Steam providing them with a constant source of money. I honestly don't think it would be.hoola

This is a great point that I want to emphasize to the doom and gloom users of this thread. I think it was slightly mentioned before too.

Steam is its own brand and will not be going anywhere for a very long time. If Steam Box is a critical failure, it will just turn into a learning experiment for Valve. No matter the outcome of this, its good for gamers and companies to move into more progressive thinking for the medium. The market has been stagnant for a long time now and needs to be poked at.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#68 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="realguitarhero5"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] First of all, that's never going to happen. Common sense man, do you use it? Second, your signature is ridiculous. Valve is one of the most Marxist-like companies I've ever seen in America. Gabe even refuses to be known as the "CEO" because he says there are no bosses at Valve... Sound familiar? Might want to do some research on Marxism to see the similarities.

Valve make great games, but I'm not a fan of Gabe. He is probably one of the most hypocritical people I've ever encountered.

How so? Just curious, Felipe.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="realguitarhero5"] 1. Valve is awesome, why would you tell someone that it's bad to recognize them in their sig? 2. Valve isn't a government. I think it's good that Gabe Newell wants to keep himself approachable and work hands-on with the projects? I think that it's commendable.

- Complains about companies using DRM on their products while he is in charge of one of the biggest DRMs on the planet (I'm a fan of Steam btw) - QQ'ed about Windows 8 and how it was the end of mankind and how "closed" it was (all wrong accusations), and then a month later announces a "closed" console box. - Talks bad about other companies and their products while he takes a century to release or even announce a new Half Life Like I said before, I'm a big fan of Steam and Valve, just not him personally.
INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts
[QUOTE="hoola"]

SKaREO
First of all, that's never going to happen. Common sense man, do you use it?

What? Sense man, do you make it? No, no you don't.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Elann2008
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Valve make great games, but I'm not a fan of Gabe. He is probably one of the most hypocritical people I've ever encountered.

- Complains about companies using DRM on their products while he is in charge of one of the biggest DRMs on the planet (I'm a fan of Steam btw) - QQ'ed about Windows 8 and how it was the end of mankind and how "closed" it was (all wrong accusations), and then a month later announces a "closed" console box. - Talks bad about other companies and their products while he takes a century to release or even announce a new Half Life Like I said before, I'm a big fan of Steam and Valve, just not him personally.

Ahh I see. Those are good points though. I'm not a fan of Gabe, nor do I dislike the guy. I really don't feel anything towards him lol. Really neutral.
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Valve make great games, but I'm not a fan of Gabe. He is probably one of the most hypocritical people I've ever encountered. FelipeInside

- Sayz that PS3 is a piece of crap...and it is a waste of time to develop for it...later he makes a partnership with PS3...and brings Steam to PS3...

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
So technically it could be the new Phantom console. If anyone remembers that fiasco, then major kudos. Either way I'm interested, it's a bold move by Valve.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SKaREO

hoola

If valve is able to reach a new market with this Steambox then indie developers WILL have access to a completely different customer base. I don't know how you can possibly disagree. Unless you are arguing that it is unlikely that they will successful. I will not argue against that because it may be true.

Regarding Valve and communism - not having a traditional management structure doesn't mean it is structured more like a communist company than, say, a government-less free market system. Nobody has any true legal authority in a communist society, but the same applies to a true free market. Nobody has any legal power over anyone else. Then consider that at Valve there IS true structure within projects, like there is true structure within companies in a free market . Proof is that there was recently an interview with Marc Laidlaw and he commented that there were areas that he was not allowed to go in because the people in charge of those projects didn't want anyone seeing what they were working on. Also, people at Valve earn money, which doesn't exist in a perfect communist society.

I have actually been thinking about Valve's structure lately and wondering if it would be possible if they didn't have Steam providing them with a constant source of money. I honestly don't think it would be.

You present a lot of novel ideas. Unfortunately none of them are grounded in reality. Valve can't be further from a capitalist company. Whether you are 100% capitalist is arguable. You are certainly not 100% anti-communist if you are a huge Valve fan, since they don't value class structure or hierarchical management and they have decentralized the means of production, which is the very backbone of Marxism/Leninism.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SKaREO

INF1DEL
First of all, that's never going to happen. Common sense man, do you use it?

Okay, how many 360 owners also own a PS3? How many also own a gaming PC? I owned all three myself, but today I only have a PS3 and my gaming PC. My friend is a 360 fan, he refuses to buy a PS3 and he only plays League of Legends on his PC (which could run on a cell phone probably.) I'm not really an expert in demographics, but marketing experience is telling me that to penetrate the market you need to find a niche. What niche is this "Steam Box" going to fill? People with lots of money buy a gaming PC and all the other consoles. Peolpe with very little money just buy one system. Go over to system wars and ask the question: Would you switch from Xbox or PS or Wii, over to the "Steam Box" if it was priced competitively. I'll guarantee you without even doing any research myself, the results will be dismal. People who currently own a gaming PC aren't going to downgrade to a closed system (aka a console) And console users aren't going to throw away all their favorite console exclusives to get half a gaming PC. This is destined for failure, it doesn't take a genius to understand why.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Too many unknown factors for me to decide whether this is a good thing or not. But I like Valve, and I hope this will be a successful for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="INF1DEL"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] First of all, that's never going to happen. Common sense man, do you use it?SKaREO

Okay, how many 360 owners also own a PS3? How many also own a gaming PC? I owned all three myself, but today I only have a PS3 and my gaming PC. My friend is a 360 fan, he refuses to buy a PS3 and he only plays League of Legends on his PC (which could run on a cell phone probably.) I'm not really an expert in demographics, but marketing experience is telling me that to penetrate the market you need to find a niche. What niche is this "Steam Box" going to fill? People with lots of money buy a gaming PC and all the other consoles. Peolpe with very little money just buy one system. Go over to system wars and ask the question: Would you switch from Xbox or PS or Wii, over to the "Steam Box" if it was priced competitively. I'll guarantee you without even doing any research myself, the results will be dismal. People who currently own a gaming PC aren't going to downgrade to a closed system (aka a console) And console users aren't going to throw away all their favorite console exclusives to get half a gaming PC. This is destined for failure, it doesn't take a genius to understand why.

If its affordable I can see many pc gamers getting it as a secondary machine.. Much like a laptop..

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="INF1DEL"] What? Sense man, do you make it? No, no you don't.sSubZerOo

If its affordable I can see many pc gamers getting it as a secondary machine.. Much like a laptop..

This proves that you "don't know jack" about your PCs current capabilities. You could be playing a game on 1 monitor, surfing the web on the other monitor, and watching the Dark Knight Rises on Blu-ray on your 52" HDTV, ALL AT THE SAME TIME on your gaming PC. Sure, you need a powerful system to multitask, but it wouldn't cost that much in comparison to buying another system to do the same thing. PCs give you unlimited options. Steam Box only offers limited options on a closed system that most likely won't be able to be upgraded. Where is the appeal in that? Why would you waste your money on another computer for the living room when one computer be used for everything? Just get an extra long HDMI cord and plug it into your HDTV, hit "big picture" and voila, there's your Steam Box. The potential customers are going to be the current console owners who are too afraid/too poor to get into serious PC gaming. I think it's going to fail, though. How are they going to attract these gamers? Mostly indie games? Free to play everything? High-speed Internet connectivity required to get the games and play them? Current console owners are going to want to stick with their favorite companies, and PC gamers are going to keep all their options. Steam Box has no where to go.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] Okay, how many 360 owners also own a PS3? How many also own a gaming PC? I owned all three myself, but today I only have a PS3 and my gaming PC. My friend is a 360 fan, he refuses to buy a PS3 and he only plays League of Legends on his PC (which could run on a cell phone probably.) I'm not really an expert in demographics, but marketing experience is telling me that to penetrate the market you need to find a niche. What niche is this "Steam Box" going to fill? People with lots of money buy a gaming PC and all the other consoles. Peolpe with very little money just buy one system. Go over to system wars and ask the question: Would you switch from Xbox or PS or Wii, over to the "Steam Box" if it was priced competitively. I'll guarantee you without even doing any research myself, the results will be dismal. People who currently own a gaming PC aren't going to downgrade to a closed system (aka a console) And console users aren't going to throw away all their favorite console exclusives to get half a gaming PC. This is destined for failure, it doesn't take a genius to understand why.SKaREO

This proves that you "don't know jack" about your PCs current capabilities. You could be playing a game on 1 monitor, surfing the web on the other monitor, and watching the Dark Knight Rises on Blu-ray on your 52" HDTV, ALL AT THE SAME TIME on your gaming PC. Sure, you need a powerful system to multitask, but it wouldn't cost that much in comparison to buying another system to do the same thing. PCs give you unlimited options. Steam Box only offers limited options on a closed system that most likely won't be able to be upgraded. Where is the appeal in that? Why would you waste your money on another computer for the living room when one computer be used for everything? Just get an extra long HDMI cord and plug it into your HDTV, hit "big picture" and voila, there's your Steam Box. The potential customers are going to be the current console owners who are too afraid/too poor to get into serious PC gaming. I think it's going to fail, though. How are they going to attract these gamers? Mostly indie games? Free to play everything? High-speed Internet connectivity required to get the games and play them? Current console owners are going to want to stick with their favorite companies, and PC gamers are going to keep all their options. Steam Box has no where to go.

:| Thank you for making stupid assumptions, I know exactly what my desktop can do.. That doesn't mean I want to lug it into my living room or to a friends house EVERY TIME I want to use it over there.. Hence why I could see this as desirable option much like the same reason why I own a modest laptop.. Especially when I have no desire to build a mini itx kit....

Morphsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Morphsis
Member since 2012 • 37 Posts
So you're saying that you would rather buy a laptop instead of a HDMI cable ...
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
I don't like consoles, so I'm not interested.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-59d151f079814

So you're saying that you would rather buy a laptop instead of a HDMI cable ...Morphsis

Ah yes because thats what I was talking about:| either your incredibly stupid.. Or trollin.. I think its a little bit of both.

JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 JW-toch
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Great idea! I would like to have the benefits of Steam on a console.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#84 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Micro-ATX based PC hardware in a Steam-branded case loaded with a Linux based Steam OS and a USB controller.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#85 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] Okay, how many 360 owners also own a PS3? How many also own a gaming PC? I owned all three myself, but today I only have a PS3 and my gaming PC. My friend is a 360 fan, he refuses to buy a PS3 and he only plays League of Legends on his PC (which could run on a cell phone probably.) I'm not really an expert in demographics, but marketing experience is telling me that to penetrate the market you need to find a niche. What niche is this "Steam Box" going to fill? People with lots of money buy a gaming PC and all the other consoles. Peolpe with very little money just buy one system. Go over to system wars and ask the question: Would you switch from Xbox or PS or Wii, over to the "Steam Box" if it was priced competitively. I'll guarantee you without even doing any research myself, the results will be dismal. People who currently own a gaming PC aren't going to downgrade to a closed system (aka a console) And console users aren't going to throw away all their favorite console exclusives to get half a gaming PC. This is destined for failure, it doesn't take a genius to understand why.SKaREO

or you know people who are lazy and want to plug something in

i can see the appeal of that

but i don't play on tv's except old consoles

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SKaREO

Micro-ATX based PC hardware in a Steam-branded case loaded with a Linux based Steam OS and a USB controller.

-Unreal-
Sounds similar to how Microsoft got started in the console field. Well, except that they had their own operating system and a game to launch it with: Halo.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Elann2008
I'd like for Gabe to make an announcement one day and just admit that it's a console. Actually, I was expecting him to come out and say it on day one after those rumors. Either way, I see this as more of a console system, than trying to get PC gamers to play in their living room and/or to entice console gamers to join the PC community. Pure speculation at this point.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#89 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Interesting decision by Valve, I'm not sure I have the time or investment to actually pick up another gaming system, plus all my PC gaming (as little as it is) is done from my primary few years old PC anyway.

It's an option however and I'm always supporting giving people choices. It seems like Valve is trying to expand their gaming audience, this could be a good thing for future competition.

Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
Im confused Ive had this for days, its already out
Avatar image for fluffy_puppy666
fluffy_puppy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 fluffy_puppy666
Member since 2012 • 48 Posts
This is just some fantastic idea from Valve. Usually people go for consoles because they like to play on the living room and everything, problem is that consoles dont have decent OS, the only thing they do is play games, and this is terrible. I bet most developers will get very interested with the idea and will develop games mostly to be compatible with steam box, so, if this "console" gets enough popularity, all games will be both compatible with PC and living room PC, there will not be other kinds of messed up junk like xbox and playstation in the way of developing, it will all about games, not about comparing brands that want everything for them.
fluffy_puppy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 fluffy_puppy666

Great idea! I would like to have the benefits of Steam on a console.

JW-toch
It will not only be the benefits of steam, it will have all the benefits of pc, and this is really great. But the best part is that what is available for steam box will also be available for PC.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 SKaREO
It will not only be the benefits of steam, it will have all the benefits of pc, and this is really great.fluffy_puppy666
I will be able to make 3D models on the Steam Box? I will be able to write a new programming language in C++ on the Steam Box? I will be able to use torrents and share my files online with other users? I will be able to run Battlefield 3 on triple monitors? Somehow I doubt it.
Xiumph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Xiumph
Member since 2012 • 109 Posts

Valve is saving PC gaming this is a genius idea. Let the console gamers dip there toes into the pc games we play and let them want to buy and build a computer and join us! The steam box is going to be a system to convert said console gamers.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="fluffy_puppy666"]It will not only be the benefits of steam, it will have all the benefits of pc, and this is really great.SKaREO
I will be able to make 3D models on the Steam Box? I will be able to write a new programming language in C++ on the Steam Box? I will be able to use torrents and share my files online with other users? I will be able to run Battlefield 3 on triple monitors? Somehow I doubt it.

if it runs linux

then yes to all

well, assuming the terminal isn't locked down.

Also write a new programming language in c++?
okay gov

fluffy_puppy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 fluffy_puppy666
[QUOTE="fluffy_puppy666"]It will not only be the benefits of steam, it will have all the benefits of pc, and this is really great.SKaREO

I believe you will. They are not so dumb as they look, you will probably be able to plug your keyboard and mouse and use windows normally. But in case this is not possible, then i want this project to go burn in hell. But probably you cant play with triple mopnitors on it because it will probably not have enough display ports and stuff. Its pretty bad if you want to play with triple television like a badbutt.
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

Wow everyone so mad. I totally dislike this as they should focus on improving their product, what they're good at.

But stop trashtalking about playing HD stuff on 3 monitors, using it for professional means, programming and everything u can imagine. Go spend 3000 Bucks on a real pc for that, consoles are a bad idea cos u can't make 3d models and play stuff on a bunch of monitors..

Most of my rl friends play on crappy HP laptops with vista, full of garble, and they struggle to get 20-40 fps on css. Imagine this thing can play a relatively good amount of pc titles and valve games at the best quality for the price of a console or even less, being able to do basic things like browsing and using keyb/mouse.

These ppl don't just throw the cheese knowing there are no mices around

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#98 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I didn't bother getting a media PC when companies started trying to market them and I wont be bothering with this. I'll stick to using steam on my PC.. now Valve needs to learn the number 3 exists and get Half Life 2: Ep 3, Half Life 3, Portal 3, Team Fortress 3... ok i'd settle with just Half Life 3.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Elann2008

Valve is saving PC gaming this is a genius idea. Let the console gamers dip there toes into the pc games we play and let them want to buy and build a computer and join us! The steam box is going to be a system to convert said console gamers.

Xiumph
This would be my optimistic-side speaking. I definitely agree with this and hopefully that becomes true; so much as long as we get the good console gamers. Not the sh**** ones lol.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#100 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
So many people mad over such a great idea. Bringing more people into the fold means more dollars to developers to keep making the games we love. So many self righteous, myopic, elitist people here it is crazy. I don't think it will necessarily "save" PC gaming (or that it needs saving to begin with) but it could turn out to be really awesome. If not, don't buy it. The PC gamer "master race" stereotype is alive and well here.