STEAM BOX Coming Soon...

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/valve-confirms-steam-box-a-very-controlled-pc-for-the-living-room/

Confirmed by Gabe.

I would rather them concentrate their efforts into making Steam better and updated than this, but oh well...

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

In other words a console.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/valve-confirms-steam-box-a-very-controlled-pc-for-the-living-room/

Confirmed by Gabe.

I would rather them concentrate their efforts into making Steam better and updated than this, but oh well...

FelipeInside
No reason they can't do both
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Confirmed by Gabe.

KHAndAnime

AND Half Life 3 :P But that's asking for too much. Valve takes 5 years to add a feature to Steam, so imagine now that they have other projects how long it will take.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Lol this isn't going to work, no mainstream appeal and looks gimmicky.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I think the vast majority of gamers (if they want the Steam box experience) will build an HTPC from scratch, install Windows, and play their games that way. Not through some proprietory Linux box that Valve is dreaming up of.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Sounds like it's going to have the problems that Gabe complained about Win 8 having. Hopefully though, it will be powerful enough that those problems won't much matter.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

topgunmv

Naaah Valve branded gaming PC

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
the OS is steam big picture. the only function would be gaming. and there's fixed hardware. is valve so afraid to just call it a console?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the OS is steam big picture. the only function would be gaming. and there's fixed hardware. is valve so afraid to just call it a console?

Of course. If he called it a console, all the PC Gamers would go berserk with things like "Damn Gabe, you've sold yourself" etc etc.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the OS is steam big picture. the only function would be gaming. and there's fixed hardware. is valve so afraid to just call it a console?

Of course. If he called it a console, all the PC Gamers would go berserk with things like "Damn Gabe, you've sold yourself" etc etc.

I guess Valve realizes that PC gamers are actually just console gamers nowadays. There' literally no difference except that we buy more games on average. Any old school pc gamers are immediately labelled trolls if they mention that games today aren't even worth playing anymore.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]the OS is steam big picture. the only function would be gaming. and there's fixed hardware. is valve so afraid to just call it a console?

I guess Valve realizes that PC gamers are actually just console gamers nowadays. There' literally no difference except that we buy more games on average. Any old school pc gamers are immediately labelled trolls if they mention that games today aren't even worth playing anymore.

Well....you can feel all sad and go back to ur "old school" games and label every game these days horrible and not worth playing, while the rest of us enjoy the awesome titles we get week after week.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SKaREO
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Of course. If he called it a console, all the PC Gamers would go berserk with things like "Damn Gabe, you've sold yourself" etc etc.

Well....you can feel all sad and go back to ur "old school" games and label every game these days horrible and not worth playing, while the rest of us enjoy the awesome titles we get week after week.

Pretty much. I'll probably pick up a Playstation 4 next year, since it's obviously going to be a far superior system compared to this pathetic Steam Box.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

If developers jump on board and start developing Linux-based games with full controller support, then this could be a very good thing. Anything to compete against Micro$oft is a good thing.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

NoodleFighter

Naaah Valve branded gaming PC

It says right in the article "very controlled"

Antithesis of PC.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] I guess Valve realizes that PC gamers are actually just console gamers nowadays. There' literally no difference except that we buy more games on average. Any old school pc gamers are immediately labelled trolls if they mention that games today aren't even worth playing anymore.

Pretty much. I'll probably pick up a Playstation 4 next year, since it's obviously going to be a far superior system compared to this pathetic Steam Box.

WOW, you bag console players and then say ur gonna buy a Playstation.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#18 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

It's essentially a console that lets you play with friends on PC. If they know what's good for them it will support KB+M.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SKaREO
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Well....you can feel all sad and go back to ur "old school" games and label every game these days horrible and not worth playing, while the rest of us enjoy the awesome titles we get week after week.

WOW, you bag console players and then say ur gonna buy a Playstation.

I've owned every Playstation system ever released so I can enjoy Metal Gear Solid, GTA 3&4, and Sports games. I prefer PC gaming because it's more intense and competitive. I will still upgrade my PC to play StarCraft, TF2 and Dota 2, but I will definately not be buying any more games on Steam, nor will I entertain the concept of a Steam console purchase when there's far superior options that will be available for TV gaming.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Lols. I already have a steam box. It's my laptop, plugged into my TV, with Steam's big picture mode, and a handful of controller friendly games.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] I guess Valve realizes that PC gamers are actually just console gamers nowadays. There' literally no difference except that we buy more games on average. Any old school pc gamers are immediately labelled trolls if they mention that games today aren't even worth playing anymore.SKaREO

Iam a PC gamer since the 90's...but i think ill make the switch to the new consoles when they come out...i will give up my PC and use my laptop for internet surfing.
Is just not worth it anymore...

Seeing now that Steam is also making close environment systems...is like a kick in the balls for pc gamers.But it is business and it not to be mixed with pleasure :))

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Well....you can feel all sad and go back to ur "old school" games and label every game these days horrible and not worth playing, while the rest of us enjoy the awesome titles we get week after week.rhazzy

Iam a PC gamer since the 90's...but i think ill make the switch to the new consoles when they come out...i will give up my PC and use my laptop for internet surfing.

Seeing now that Steam is also making close environment systems...is like a kick in the balls for pc gamers.But it is business and it not to be mixed with pleasure :))

What are you people on tonight? Must be something really strong.

And then people wonder why they say PC is dying, cause of opinions like this.

Just because Steam decides to do a hardware box, which we know nothing of yet....then automatically people come out and "I'll never buy a Steam game again" (which they will).. blah blah blah

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Falconoffury

I don't see the point of Valve creating a straight-up PC to plug into your TV. You can already plug most modern PCs into your television. The point is to make a Steam-based gaming system that is easy to setup and control with only a controller. Valve is saying it will be a controlled environment, but that is in comparison to the PC environment. It can still be much more flexible than any other console environment. Give them a chance.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] Pretty much. I'll probably pick up a Playstation 4 next year, since it's obviously going to be a far superior system compared to this pathetic Steam Box.FelipeInside

What are you people on tonight? Must be something really strong.

And then people wonder why they say PC is dying, cause of opinions like this.

Just because Steam decides to do a hardware box, which we know nothing of yet....then automatically people come out and "I'll never buy a Steam game again" (which they will).. blah blah blah

My main reason is not the steam box...that's only strengthens my believes...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
What's your reason then? PC Gaming is bigger than ever right now.
supertrooper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supertrooper23
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
but why would you buy a steam box if you own a decent gaming pc already?
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Falconoffury

but why would you buy a steam box if you own a decent gaming pc already? supertrooper23

Maybe you don't like a wireless mouse and keyboard on your coffee table, and would prefer a system that runs entirely on a controller.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="supertrooper23"]but why would you buy a steam box if you own a decent gaming pc already? Falconoffury

Maybe you don't like a wireless mouse and keyboard on your coffee table, and would prefer a system that runs entirely on a controller.

Open Steam's big picture mode, and that's exactly what you get.

Use xpadder to map basic mouse and keyboard functions to your 360 controller, and you can even use it to open steam in the first place, and turn on big picture mode.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
sounds like something you would buy your nephew to get him into pc gaming, without having him move from the couch and drop the controller. as pc gamers why does it always have to be about me? why does it have to be about me having a better system? the elitism needs to be turned down a notch. having more people play pc games (what steam has done and what i hope steam box will do) is good for pc gaming, pc gamers, and pc games. steam box isn't for you, elitist. it's for the people that start the "thinking of getting into pc gaming but..." threads of which there are many... just relax and you'll get more noobs on controllers to pwn.
INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

This could be a good thing. If you have a console where you can buy games on Steam it could be a sort of stepping stone to an actual gaming PC. If your game collection comes with you it would be a lot easier to make the change.

If there is some sort of modding support and decent enough hardware to compete with next gen consoles (or as a "very conrtolled PC" it could get periodic hardware revisions), we could see people moving away from consoles. Then developers may not have to develop for hardware that goes years without upgrades in order to reach a bigger market.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
"windows 8 is a closed system, qq" builds their own closed system
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Confirmed by Gabe.

KHAndAnime

They obviously can't, since what Gabe invests into Steam apparently isn't enough to make features the community actually wants instead of a constant stream of bloatware.
AlexZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AlexZor
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

"windows 8 is a closed system, qq" builds their own closed systemJigglyWiggly_

Kneejerk response, man.

How could you not have a controlled environment for a platform with a specific purpose? These are not going to be sold as PCs with a broad range of uses. It is a going to be a gaming platform first and foremost.

I'm interested to see how this goes for Valve. It could hold a considerable amount of influence over consoles in pricing and distribution. Competition between companies is good for gamers.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DanielDust

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]"windows 8 is a closed system, qq" builds their own closed systemAlexZor

Kneejerk response, man.

How could you not have a controlled environment for a platform with a specific purpose? These are not going to be sold as PCs with a broad range of uses. It is a going to be a gaming platform first and foremost.

I'm interested to see how this goes for Valve. It could hold a considerable amount of influence over consoles in pricing and distribution. Competition between companies is good for gamers.

They're not the first to try making "console" PCs, everyone failed because people don't want console PCs, those that actually want consoles go for consoles and those that have some weird fetish about TVs and PCs already have it set up. It will fail and it will fail hard.
AlexZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AlexZor

They're not the first to try making "console" PCs, everyone failed because people don't want console PCs, those that actually want consoles go for consoles and those that have some weird fetish about TVs and PCs already have it set up. It will fail and it will fail hard.DanielDust

What are the names of those platforms?

The selling point for this will be Steam's features. There isn't a console on the market that makes it's sales solely from digital distribution. Whether or not it's made by Valve, a new piece of hardware that integrates Steam as a controlled environment has a considerable advantage in the gaming market.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DanielDust

I don't know the names, because I do not care about such failures, I can tell you one of the most important companies from those that tried, Razer.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

elitists are very amusing. It's very cute when they act like the gaming world revolves around them.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DanielDust
Now that I think about it, insecure and paranoid people might not sound so bad after this announcement, their fear of Steam going under and loosing all their games, we keep seeing software developers and publishers trying to go hardware and losing their company in the process, like THQ. Steam itself can't fail Valve, only Valve can make Valve go under and this would be the biggest mistake they ever made, the countless small mistakes they made with Steam itself so far pales in comparison.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#39 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Can you do evil things with this box?
Morphsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Morphsis
Member since 2012 • 37 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Of course. If he called it a console, all the PC Gamers would go berserk with things like "Damn Gabe, you've sold yourself" etc etc.

What awesome titles do we get week after week ? Almost EVERY game that came out this year on pc it failed, compared with the other titles in its series. Look at MoH Warfighter, you can compare it with Doom 2, or something similar with that, but with better graphics. Same with Far Cry 3. It is said to be the best FPS of the year. But compared with Far Cry 2, or 1, it's the same game with better graphics. That's all. It's like watching a movie over and over again, but on better TVs ... Thats why "old school" gamers are so offended, they have nothing good to play. If i want graphics i can just go to cinema and watch a animation movie. That's why we have COMPUTERS, and COMPUTER GAMES, to PLAY a game, not to admire it's graphics. It is fine that we came to this point where we have this evolved games regarding graphics, but what about the gameplay mechanics ? What about the actual game ? They don't make that kind of games anymore, sadly, and that's because of people like you who buy a game because it looks awesome.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_bi99man

Same with Far Cry 3. It is said to be the best FPS of the year. But compared with Far Cry 2, or 1, it's the same game with better graphics.Morphsis

you have clearly not played any more than 5 minutes of any of those games.

AlexZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AlexZor

I don't know the names, because I do not care about such failures, I can tell you one of the most important companies from those that tried, Razer.DanielDust

Project Fiona? I'm unaware of anything else that could be considered. Even then, this more for the mobile gaming crowd. It also hasn't been released yet.

Now that I think about it, insecure and paranoid people might not sound so bad after this announcement, their fear of Steam going under and loosing all their games, we keep seeing software developers and publishers trying to go hardware and losing their company in the process, like THQ. Steam itself can't fail Valve, only Valve can make Valve go under and this would be the biggest mistake they ever made, the countless small mistakes they made with Steam itself so far pales in comparison. DanielDust

THQ's uDraw was made for an already established console and was not a standalone piece of hardware. I don't feel you understand the point of what the Steam Box will most likely do.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SKaREO
[QUOTE="Morphsis"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] I guess Valve realizes that PC gamers are actually just console gamers nowadays. There' literally no difference except that we buy more games on average. Any old school pc gamers are immediately labelled trolls if they mention that games today aren't even worth playing anymore.

What awesome titles do we get week after week ? Almost EVERY game that came out this year on pc it failed, compared with the other titles in its series. Look at MoH Warfighter, you can compare it with Doom 2, or something similar with that, but with better graphics. Same with Far Cry 3. It is said to be the best FPS of the year. But compared with Far Cry 2, or 1, it's the same game with better graphics. That's all. It's like watching a movie over and over again, but on better TVs ... Thats why "old school" gamers are so offended, they have nothing good to play. If i want graphics i can just go to cinema and watch a animation movie. That's why we have COMPUTERS, and COMPUTER GAMES, to PLAY a game, not to admire it's graphics. It is fine that we came to this point where we have this evolved games regarding graphics, but what about the gameplay mechanics ? What about the actual game ? They don't make that kind of games anymore, sadly, and that's because of people like you who buy a game because it looks awesome.

This is exactly what I've been ranting about for the past few years. I'm glad someone else out there thinks the same way.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Sounds like a great idea for people who can't afford a great computer and/or doesn't want to build one..
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Morphsis"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Well....you can feel all sad and go back to ur "old school" games and label every game these days horrible and not worth playing, while the rest of us enjoy the awesome titles we get week after week.

This is exactly what I've been ranting about for the past few years. I'm glad someone else out there thinks the same way.

You do know there is a massive indie base in the pc community, and specific small time devs pretty much go after this demographic.. It seems like you guys are b!tching just to B!tch because there are both types of games out right now.. Who the hell cares what super popular games are out right now were great.. The great pc games out there were rarely EVER popular in the idea we know it now except for select few ones..
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i think they are just trying to avoid making the next half-life
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

i think they are just trying to avoid making the next half-lifeyellosnolvr

Nah Half Life 3 will launch as a Steambox exclusive next year.

Morphsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Morphsis
Member since 2012 • 37 Posts
You do know there is a massive indie base in the pc community, and specific small time devs pretty much go after this demographic.. It seems like you guys are b!tching just to B!tch because there are both types of games out right now.. Who the hell cares what super popular games are out right now were great.. The great pc games out there were rarely EVER popular in the idea we know it now except for select few ones.. sSubZerOo
I'm the only one who doesn't really understands what he is trying to say ?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#49 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]i think they are just trying to avoid making the next half-lifeC2N2

Nah Half Life 3 will launch as a Steambox exclusive next year.

Not if they ever want to see their families again... just saying. :P
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]