Steam and Used Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serpens6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Serpens6
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Didn't see any recent postings about this so here goes! I recently purchsed The Ship from a used game store and than went home to go install it. Of course I couldn't and so I scanned and wrote down the information on the back with the CD-key and scanned it and sent to Steam for re-assignment. Then I get a response telling me that's a no can-do.

I find this funny since I bought my copies of Half-Life 2 and Orange Box, both used, and had no issues with transferring them over to my account. Orange Box was about a month before this incident. Does anyone have a clue why they would suddenly reject me now? They sent me some literature on it, one says you can't do used games and the other was the "Steam Subscriber Agreement." (Note: the Subscriber Agreement has no statement saying you can't transfer games or sell them) This might be all well and good for online documentation but how does one know about this if the packaging never says anything in relation to "DO NOT RESALE." Than that brings up the question about what's the point of a retail version if it can only be used once?

I know it sounds like I'm whining but I already don't like all the "safe guards" on PC games now-a-days, but I thought Steam was a good alternative since you don't need the CD to play the game and the game could only be played on one account. I'm now completely turned off from Steam since I feel they are just calling all non-first time buyers thieves. So, info, thoughts, and opinions are greatly appreciated. (I tried to get clarification on the subject from Steam, but "Brock" keeps squawking the same response at me)

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Good news, man. I found your missing key:

qwerty

Serpens6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serpens6

Lol, duly noted.

I'll be sure to separate paragraphes. In fact I'll do that now.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
the ship's $15 on steam ($10 for single player); don't buy used games.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
try it again maybe it was just some dick person
NirvanaX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 NirvanaX360
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts
3rds party games steam isn't responsible for. You should call the creators of the Ship
Serpens6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serpens6
That would explain why I never had any problem transferring Valve games. Yeah, I talked to Merscom and they explained to me the situation and squared me away. Thanks, though!
Serpens6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serpens6
I think you might be right, or he's a robot capable of only one answer to all questions...which is what I got from him.
Serpens6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serpens6
Don't buy used games!?! Yeah it's less trouble and I am particular about the packaging, but the prices are oh so tempting! I guess I have to make up for the difference in some way.