StarCraft problems with lag

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-chronogears-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -chronogears-
Member since 2007 • 350 Posts
if I get in a game with just one other person it runs fine, but if there are 3 people it seems like I start lagging. Is there anyway to fix this?
-chronogears-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -chronogears-
Member since 2007 • 350 Posts
is there any way to fix my router?
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

if I get in a game with just one other person it runs fine, but if there are 3 people it seems like I start lagging. Is there anyway to fix this? -chronogears-

A. get a better PC

B. Get a better internet connetion

beex215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 beex215
Member since 2006 • 1198 Posts
read the sc box,it says what connections support this certent amount of people.you most likely have 56k.
PhantomKills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 PhantomKills
Member since 2004 • 91 Posts
i cant believe your having lag problems with starcraft, i remember having a dial up connection with a comp that didnt even have DirectX in it with integrated graphics and a 450mhz processor and i would rarely have lag. this thread i could see 10 years ago, but not in the year 2007
blackhawk234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackhawk234
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I had this problem before too. I just opened port 6112 UDP and TCP on my router. If your running XP, you also have to open up those ports, so the windows firewall won't block any packets.
Judza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Judza
Member since 2004 • 4637 Posts
Get much better internet...sounds like a 56k problem.
Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

Get much better internet...sounds like a 56k problem.
Judza

Sounds more like a 33.6k problem if you ask me. Maybe the thread starter got their modem from the past?

Malkavbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Malkavbug
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

What maps are you guys playing on? If you are using a custom "special" type map where you can get far more units than normal it will lag even good machines and connections. Only thing I have seen make it lag on modern setups.

Avatar image for horadriclucifer
horadriclucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horadriclucifer
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts

amigo, you do NOT need a new computer.

starcraft runs even without graphics card and crappy ram.

all u need is good interenet connection and ur good to go with 7 people in one game!

Josh1C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Josh1C
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Yea I'm having the same problems with Starcraft as well. I could play on 56k with NO problem whatsoever and playing on cable is no problem, but when I play on my DSL I lag like crazy. I can't host games, and when I join a game, I can't play with more than two people (including myself). I have a speedstream 5200 series modem with a WRT54G Linksys wireless router. I'm directly connected, so I don't use wireless. I tried directly connecting to my modem and that doesn't help. I've tried opening ports in my windows firewall and that doesn't seem to work (I'm not sure I did it right; I allowed port 6112 with TCP protocol; I wasn't able to use UDP and TCP protocols; It didn't give me that option on windows firewall). I tried opening ports 6112-6119 with both protocols and that doesn't help. When I ping www.battle.net in the command prompt, I don't receive any of the packets. When I trace the route, I lose 67% of my packets through the router and 33% through my modem.

System specs:

3500+ AMD Athlon 64

KN8 SLI motherboard

1 GB of RAM

80 GB hard drive

6600 Nvidia Geforce video card (256 MB)

I have DSL regular 1.5 MB, so the internet being slow isn't my problem.

I've called the Speedstream company to see if I could find a professional who could help me, and the guy didn't even know how to port forward! So if somebody could show me how to properly port forward, or just help me, that would be nice. THANKS!