Starcraft 2 worth $20?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

Alot of my friends are really into Starcraft 2 and since its on sale for $20 I was thinking of giving it a try. I don't really know anything about it, except that its a strategy game. My only concerns are that i'm not really into games like dota or LoL. There just not really my style, so do you think I would still enjoy Starcraft 2?

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Never played it but I can tell you it has the biggest RTS community and will most likely continue to for a long time. Also an expansion is about to be released.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Yes, it is completely worth it. Even if you only plan to play the single player campaign, which is one of the best made in the RTS genre .
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts
Yes, it is completely worth it. Even if you only plan to play the single player campaign, which is one of the best made in the RTS genre .Miroku32
I might give the campaign a try, but I would be buying it mostly for the online.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Miroku32
[QUOTE="KABCOOL"] I might give the campaign a try, but I would be buying it mostly for the online.

That's better then. The ladder will keep you entertained and even if you don't like it you have many custom maps for play, even some made by Blizzard.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Id say yes. Besides lol and maybe COD its one of the most played games and has on of the best competitive scenes ever. It will continue to be big to as heart of the swarm is dropping next week which is no doubt why wings of liberty is on sale you need that in order to be able to play HOTS.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I think so, but each to his own. I think the game has a demo/trial or starter version so you try and see if it's something for you.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

campaign is awesome which is a lot to say for a RTS. i stink at RTS online but the ladder kept me in for a bit. I played custom maps forever. Looking forward to the expansion next week.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
SC 2 is an RTS, not even close to a MOBA, so I'd say not liking MOBAs won't affect your enjoyment if you enjoy strategy games.Singleplayer is excellent (corny, but excellent) and multiplayer is brutal, don't get discouraged if you're constantly beaten, in the lowest divisions the game is brutal because newbies use only cheesy tactics so you have to adapt to dealing with rushes (if you know how to deal with the basic ones, matches will usually end in a few minutes and you'll get promoted and forget all about such terrible plays) in higher leagues, where it's most fun, the game is brutal because of the tactical superiority of your opponents, to go over that you'll need experience, you need to practice and try different things, have a look at popular videos and see how to play different units and what their advantages or disadvantages are. It was worth it at full price, one of the best, if not the best RTS ever made, 20$ is a steal, if you'll enjoy it, an expansion will be released in less than a week.
MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 MaKillaGorilla
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

**** censored me but the game is what the RTS scene needed. ADD generation represent!

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
O.O, SC2's worth 120$! It's not like any MOBA, I hate that genre, and love SC.
Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kaisfate
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts
it is worth exactly zero dollars. not even close to as good as the original, and stuck in the past in terms of gameplay ideas. the multiplayer was a massive stinker. the campaign was OK but nothing special.
MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MaKillaGorilla
it is worth exactly zero dollars. not even close to as good as the original, and stuck in the past in terms of gameplay ideas. the multiplayer was a massive stinker. the campaign was OK but nothing special.Kaisfate
Pffffttttttt http://25.media.tumblr.com/74e311972ea5eaeefa28263ae6fd5ce4/tumblr_mg99r8RH9E1rmuyp7o1_400.gif
MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MaKillaGorilla

Giffin yo **** hoe.....for real though you have a **** opinion 

Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kaisfate
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

MaKillaGorilla

get mad? like i give a **** what you think. the game was **** get over it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Oh definitely, I even paid full price for it when it 1st came out and it has such amazing value.

Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

SC2 for $20 is a steal.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Pretty good game, though I would say watch out for the SSAO option in the graphics menu, (or maybe its NCP where you turn it on) it destroys the performance.

Also it doesn't have decent quad core support, but hopefully the expansion coming out will fix that mistake (in 2013)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Sure. It's got a solid singleplayer component, great learning tools and bot support - and then there's the online which is a huge thing in itself. Can't go wrong for that price, it's a traditional RTS but as polished as they come.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9420/

A RTS of the modern age.  But hey if you want to play a 15-year old outdated pile of sh*t, be my guest.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust

A RTS of the modern age.  But hey if you want to play a 15-year old outdated pile of sh*t, be my guest.

Socijalisticka
You don't buy a dead game when you want to buy something for multiplayer AND for the friends that are playing a specific game. You had no room to troll, absolute failure.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Get better friends.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Its fun, even if you dont play online versus.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

A lot of butt hurt trolls here that couldn't stop getting stompped in the bronze league.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Yes, plain and simple. Have played it since the beta. Loved it then, love it now and love Heart of the Swarm even more. The multiplayer changes are awesome. Aside from that you wont get as much bang for you buck with any other game. Full campaign, tons of extra content through challenges and the arcade and a fully featured multiplayer that allows you to play ranked or unranked matchmaking games. Doesnt get any better than that. It also allows global play so you can play with friends in other countries now too. :D
Evanze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Evanze
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

At $20, I'd definitely pick it up. Just be wary of the multiplayer, it's pretty intense. But if you're the competetive type then you'll be fine. Go have fun!

MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MaKillaGorilla

MaKillaGorilla
What? No I wasn't mad. Simply enjoying messing with the censoring this site has set up. At the time I probably didn't even know what the threa was about haha.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

Alot of my friends are really into Starcraft 2 and since its on sale for $20 I was thinking of giving it a try. I don't really know anything about it, except that its a strategy game. My only concerns are that i'm not really into games like dota or LoL. There just not really my style, so do you think I would still enjoy Starcraft 2?

KABCOOL

If you haven't played anything like this I'm sorry to say, but you're in for a rough time then lol. Last time I played (like a year ago) even silver leagued players were starting to learn the game. What I mean is that you'll get utterly slaughtered once you step foot online and you'll have to either have your friends help you learn the game or do some reading.

I don't say this to be a d1ck, but games like these aren't accessible in the same way as *most* shooters are. There is a ton of things to learn, from what to build when, where and how and what units to build and at what time and generally learning how to have a good unit composition and to be creative. You'll have to force yourself to dual-task (attacking the enemy while also building new units on the same time) and generally just be several place at once.

Obviously all these things aren't being done very well in the lowest leagues, but if you step online without having ANY clue about the above mentioned even the noobiest of the noobs will own you and it won't even be fun.

RTS games require you to learn a lot about how the game works before you can have fun with it (online). However, it's not like it's impossible and even though I might make it sound as if the entry barrier is ridiculously high it's really just all about being AWARE of the things I mentioned and at the very least know a couple of build-orders so you won't just get steam rolled. A lot of the gameplay in SC2 is about knowing simple stuff, the trick is to memorize all of it and utilize it at the right time.

If you want to play online I suggest you watch Day9. Check out his archive here: http://day9.tv/archives/ however to be perfectly honest I haven't followed SC2 in a long time so I dunno if he's still doing his "newbie tuesday" show. I remember it being great because users (who weren't good) submitted their replies and he would go through them and talk about the mistakes they did and how they could've done better. He's really great to watch if you want to learn something.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

DanielDust
You don't buy a dead game when you want to buy something for multiplayer AND for the friends that are playing a specific game. You had no room to troll, absolute failure.

oh please, like you have any room to bash on people. you are easily the most offensive person on this forum. gtfo, your opinion is worthless.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

A lot of butt hurt trolls here that couldn't stop getting stompped in the bronze league.

sleepingzzz

:cry: That's me

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust
[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Geminon

oh please, like you have any room to bash on people. you are easily the most offensive person on this forum. gtfo, your opinion is worthless.

Nope, but you can gtfo yourself, seeing that you're new enough to the forum to just move on and be stupid somewhere else (what? you know you wanted it, I only provide insults to people that really deserve it or ask for it, enjoy)
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
I would play with your friends since they have it and learn from them before playing against others online.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Miroku32

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

flipin_jackass

:cry: That's me

Don't worry, don't worry. I'm sure that if you play more you will get to Silver soon. :cool:

yodude1026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yodude1026
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

Definitely. i have been a Star-Craft fan ever since i got the first one years ago. Its not GPU demanding and is very fun! (mulitiplayer is quite difficult though!)

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Geminon

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] You don't buy a dead game when you want to buy something for multiplayer AND for the friends that are playing a specific game. You had no room to troll, absolute failure.DanielDust

Nope, but you can gtfo yourself, seeing that you're new enough to the forum to just move on and be stupid somewhere else (what? you know you wanted it, I only provide insults to people that really deserve it or ask for it, enjoy)

should be insulting yourself then, considering you are probably the largest **** on these forums. (i only provide insults to people that really deserve it or ask for it, enjoy).

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#37 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
Personally I would say no. The single-player campaign is pretty short (I finished like 10 or 12 missions just doing the free trial) and they had really poor quilty video sequences. IMO the multiplayer isn't much fun it is all about build order and APM, no real strategy IMO and I was really disappointed when I played the beta. I really wish Blizz would split the SP and MP component into 2 separate purchases and I would probably buy the SP campaign for WoL and HotS.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Miroku32

Personally I would say no. The single-player campaign is pretty short (I finished like 10 or 12 missions just doing the free trial) and they had really poor quilty video sequences. IMO the multiplayer isn't much fun it is all about build order and APM, no real strategy IMO and I was really disappointed when I played the beta. I really wish Blizz would split the SP and MP component into 2 separate purchases and I would probably buy the SP campaign for WoL and HotS.SerOlmy

1. As far as I know the free trial only allows you to play 4 missions. The 3 of Mar Sara and another one.

2. Short? There are like 30 missions, just like the original SC.

3. As for the video sequences, they were great. Blizzard is well known for make great CGs. Were you smoking or what?

4. Multiplayer isn't only about ladder. You can try custom maps, play with pals against AI, and now you can even play on a replay.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SerOlmy

1. As far as I know the free trial only allows you to play 4 missions. The 3 of Mar Sara and another one.

2. Short? There are like 30 missions, just like the original SC.

3. As for the video sequences, they were great. Blizzard is well known for make great CGs. Were you smoking or what?

4. Multiplayer isn't only about ladder. You can try custom maps, play with pals against AI, and now you can even play on a replay.

SerOlmy
1) The original trial was time limited and not by missions, my point stands. 3) I meant the in engine videos, which look bloody awful comparatively. 4) the multiplayer is mostly about ladder, which isn't very entertaining.
ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
4. Multiplayer isn't only about ladder. You can try custom maps, play with pals against AI, and now you can even play on a replay.Miroku32
Don't forget you can also play unranked. Which is great if you want to play casually and not have to worry about the BS ladder.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Strcraft 2 is probably one of the best rts I've played in recent memory.  Very fun competitive multiplayer and the single player campaign was well done too.  I can't wait until Heart of the Swarm comes out next week.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Geminon

Strcraft 2 is probably one of the best rts I've played in recent memory.  Very fun competitive multiplayer and the single player campaign was well done too.  I can't wait until Heart of the Swarm comes out next week.

THGarrett
if by very fun you mean tired, old, and lacking innovation... then sure, i completely agree. it is like they just ported the old starcraft mechanics into a new engine, which does not hold up in this day and age.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SerOlmy
^This The isometric RTS has been stagnant and lacking innovation for the better part of a decade. The last truly innovative RTS was Homeworld and it's sequels and that was in the early '00s. Heck the only one I have actually enjoyed since then in terms of MP was BFME2 due to the conquest mode that combined Risk-type maps and RTS combat.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#44 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I have been waiting for it to hit this price-point, but it fell off my radar some time ago. Bought it thanks to this thread.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Geminon
[QUOTE="SerOlmy"]^This The isometric RTS has been stagnant and lacking innovation for the better part of a decade. The last truly innovative RTS was Homeworld and it's sequels and that was in the early '00s. Heck the only one I have actually enjoyed since then in terms of MP was BFME2 due to the conquest mode that combined Risk-type maps and RTS combat.

i would say Company of Heroes was the last innovative RTS.... interesting enough it was made by the same folks that made Homeworld.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="SerOlmy"]^This The isometric RTS has been stagnant and lacking innovation for the better part of a decade. The last truly innovative RTS was Homeworld and it's sequels and that was in the early '00s. Heck the only one I have actually enjoyed since then in terms of MP was BFME2 due to the conquest mode that combined Risk-type maps and RTS combat.

i would say Company of Heroes was the last innovative RTS.... interesting enough it was made by the same folks that made Homeworld.

It wasn't that much of a good game, but Achron was probably one of the most innovative games I've seen in a long while. RTS built around time travel; some really cool mindbreaking stuff. Shame the actual unit and micromanagement stuff was more or less command and conquer, and not nearly as good. That being said more 'turn based tactical' games like Men of War, Ruse and Wargame have been very unique, bordering on the RTS territory.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

1) The original trial was time limited and not by missions, my point stands. 3) I meant the in engine videos, which look bloody awful comparatively. 4) the multiplayer is mostly about ladder, which isn't very entertaining.SerOlmy

Yea, the in-engine cinematics look 'terrible'... 

looks_bad

The hell do you want, Crysis3?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Yes, great game and easily worth $20.