Starcraft 2 Campaign vs Dawn of War 2 vs Wacraft 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

What do you guys think?

I think Sc2 blows them out of water in every way.

DoW 2 campaign is so repetitive and feels like Diablo with squad.

Warcraft 3, while great on narrative and has a bit of variety is dragging for me.

BrickMcStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BrickMcStick
Member since 2010 • 103 Posts

I've always been a fan of WC3 type of story, but SC2 is amazing. I've never played DOW 2 (I may get it on special). I would say SC2 is the best with WC3 close behind it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11513 Posts

DoW 2 had a mediocre campaign, SC2 has a much better campaign.

Chaos Rising had an excellent campaign, but it was very different, very hard to compare the two.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

sc2 is very good...and it resembles dow2 lore...but dow2 was soooo dissappointing...the most epic part was over in 10 minutes....no rts should score u down for beatin a level in 5 minutes....and it be too slow....sc2...on hard...wow...if felt like it u could actually lose on some lvls...

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Starcraft 2

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Dawn of War 2 had an awful campaign. I can barley find myself to even finish it. Almost all of the missions are the same in DoW2 while all the missions in StarCraft 2 are unique and varied.

iamthejapanman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iamthejapanman
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts

Well, it seems I'm in the minority here, but I definitely liked the warcraft 3 campaign the most. More specifically, the original human campaign and seeing arthas slowly become corrupted. Being able to visit stratholme and hear whispers of dialogue in the undercity in WoW where the ending cinematic for the human campaign took place also really adds to the overall experience.

To be even more unpopular, I had more fun playing dawn of war 2's campaign (and chaos rising) than I did playing sc2's campaign overall. While dow2 lacks what I would consider a compelling story, I really enjoyed the focus on a small number of squads and moving from cover to cover (though terminator armor seems to fundamentally break the way the game is played before getting said armor and I find it strange that I never see that mentioned...).

Starcraft 2's campaign just had way too many missions with base building, and as someone who's played sc1 to death, it just felt too familiar at times. My biggest motivation to finish sc2's campaign was to see how it ended so I could continue to use the internet without fear of people spoiling it for me, but it left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed (of course, it doesn't help that I've always been a zerg player and that's the only race you don't play as in the campaign...). That's not to say I hated the campaign or anything, I did have fun with it, but for me it seemed to alternate between "oh, this is cool" and "ugh, I have to build up another base/economy and then go kill everything."

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ravenchrome

Well, it seems I'm in the minority here, but I definitely liked the warcraft 3 campaign the most. More specifically, the original human campaign and seeing arthas slowly become corrupted. Being able to visit stratholme and hear whispers of dialogue in the undercity in WoW where the ending cinematic for the human campaign took place also really adds to the overall experience.

To be even more unpopular, I had more fun playing dawn of war 2's campaign (and chaos rising) than I did playing sc2's campaign overall. While dow2 lacks what I would consider a compelling story, I really enjoyed the focus on a small number of squads and moving from cover to cover (though terminator armor seems to fundamentally break the way the game is played before getting said armor and I find it strange that I never see that mentioned...).

Starcraft 2's campaign just had way too many missions with base building, and as someone who's played sc1 to death, it just felt too familiar at times. My biggest motivation to finish sc2's campaign was to see how it ended so I could continue to use the internet without fear of people spoiling it for me, but it left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed (of course, it doesn't help that I've always been a zerg player and that's the only race you don't play as in the campaign...). That's not to say I hated the campaign or anything, I did have fun with it, but for me it seemed to alternate between "oh, this is cool" and "ugh, I have to build up another base/economy and then go kill everything."

iamthejapanman

But Starcraft 2 kills Dow2 in terms of variety, presentation and art style.

NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

Without playing SC2 or WC3 campaigns i can confidently say their better than DOW2. It had some good ideas but got repetitve quick.

iamthejapanman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iamthejapanman
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts

[QUOTE="iamthejapanman"]

Ravenchrome

I think I'd be inclined to agree with that, but I still had more fun with the core mechanics of dow2 *shrugs*. I have little doubt, however, that I'll end up playing sc2 online much more than dow2 due to custom maps and stuff (I don't really care for dow2's skirmish/capture the point mode, but I did have fun with the last stand for quite a while).
NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

[QUOTE="iamthejapanman"]

Ravenchrome

Variety perhaps, presentation perhaps. But art style? no. If we are talking about the ingame graphics then I think their terrible, SC2 has this nasty fantasy warcraft 3 look which does not suit starcraft at all. While DOW2 has a gritty artstyle which serves the source material well.

I also don't think the DOW2 campaign can be as epic because Relic may not be able to add major events and plot points in the 40K universe. Games Workshop has made it clear that they want this going on as a forever meatgrinder war. So while SC2 may advance the plot which would add to the epicness, DOW2 ismore like some random campaign in the hundreds already present in 40k which does not change the war in any way.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="iamthejapanman"]

NanoMan88

Variety perhaps, presentation perhaps. But art style? no. If we are talking about the ingame graphics then I think their terrible, SC2 has this nasty fantasy warcraft 3 look which does not suit starcraft at all. While DOW2 has a gritty artstyle which serves the source material well.

I also don't think the DOW2 campaign can be as epic because Relic may not be able to add major events and plot points in the 40K universe. Games Workshop has made it clear that they want this going on as a forever meatgrinder war. So while SC2 may advance the plot which would add to the epicness, DOW2 ismore like some random campaign in the hundreds already present in 40k which does not change the war in any way.

What i mean by art here is the variety of objects and maps. I feel Sc2 has more art asset than Dow2.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I've haven't played Dawn of War 2 or SC2 yet.. shame on me but I will be getting them soon.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
DoW2 has a terrible campaign. I only managed to stumble through by doing Co Op with a friend. DOW1 Dark Crusade however, has an amazing campaign. Starcraft 2 is the daddy though with WC3 just behind.
GhostDog8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 GhostDog8
Member since 2005 • 5943 Posts

all three are great games...but SC and WC are better than Warhammer 40k....

Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
hard to say, WCIII is a fantasy RTS, while SCII is sci fi, but since I've always loved warcraft, I'll go with it, for now
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
SC2, DoW2, War 3 in this order for me.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

all three are great games...but SC and WC are better than Warhammer 40k....

GhostDog8

As a rts game I find the DoW 1 gameplay better than any of these. DoW 1 also has a very good sp campaign -no so great as Starcraft 1, but very good-., About the SC II campaign I'll talk in a days once I finish it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
SC2's has been great so far (still have a while to go), but DoW2 Chaos Rising's is also rather excellent.
RTSgamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RTSgamer32
Member since 2009 • 181 Posts

isnt the multiplayer in DOW2 meant to be more of an RTS than the single player

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Dawn of War II's campaign wasn't that good. Needed to be modded to make it fun.

Warcraft 3 had a longer, more enjoyable campaign than Starcraft II in my opinion.

EzekyleAbadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EzekyleAbadon
Member since 2010 • 1391 Posts

DoW2 campaign was pretty boring, add Chaos Rising or DoW1 and they would probably be my picks. SC2 is worse than WC3 imo because it felt like a never-ending tutorial until the very last levels. As an RTS my fav is DoW1 by far

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Starcraft 2 campaign is the one that has more diversity but in storytelling it sucks. I haven't played DoW2 so I can't say anything there. WC3 campaigns were great, not compared to SC2 but great and the storytelling was the best.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I didn't enjoy the SP portion of neither Dawn of War 1 or 2, they got boring after a hour, and never played them since. But the campaign of Warcraft3 + Frozen Throne is really a fantastic one, loved the story of Arthas & the storytelling, music score, everything. Though it's ben a wile since i replayed it.

SC2's campaign is miles & miles ahead of DoW2, but not at the same level of WC3's campaign.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

SC2 & WC3 have great sp campaigns... never played DOW games..

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#26 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
WC3 for its narrative, SC2 for its design and err DoW2 for its.... scripted events? Chaos Rising had a solid campaign, with some glimpses of quality... still nowhere near the Blizzard quality.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Warcraft III is the best RTS I've ever played; I wouldn't choose anything over it.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Its hard... SC2 is the better RTS in my opinion. It have a better campaign then WC3. But for me WC3 had a better story but worse in the RTS and campaign (variety and so on). But i would have to go for SC2 simply because how great the campaign maps and variety is and how good and balanced the RTS is.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Starcraft 2 has the best mission structure out of those 3 games, but in terms of story, Warcraft 3 > Starcraft 2 >>>Dawn of War 2. DoW2's story was a mishmash of unrelated events that felt like they didn't have much impact on each other. Dawn of War 1's story was much more epic.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I really like Warcraft 3's campaign, it was the first RTS campaign I really go into (normally I just play online and skirmish mode and stuff like that). I wasn't a fan of Frozen Throne's for some reason, I couldn't even get past the Night Elf levels without getting bored.

However, I just got Starcraft II yesterday and so far I am incredibly impressed with the campaign. So far, I would say its better than the Warcraft III campaign in terms of gameplay, but I'm still a sucker for the Warcraft III story.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Chaos Rising was the best singleplayer imo.. I also liked the art style more in Dawn of War 2.. Though I am bias because I think Warhammer/Warhammer 40k trample all over the universes of Starcraft and Warcraft.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Chaos Rising was the best singleplayer imo.. I also liked the art style more in Dawn of War 2.. Though I am bias because I think Warhammer/Warhammer 40k trample all over the universes of Starcraft and Warcraft.sSubZerOo
Chaos Rising was indeed a well-done campaign compared to the awful DoW 2 one.
Game-fu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Game-fu
Member since 2009 • 893 Posts

I preferred Dawn of War 2 over Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3.

Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

Hard to say, I liked DoW 2 at first but after finishing it, i realized it only had 2 mission versions. Keep in mind I only played on normal. The missions where deffend or attack and fight a really easy boss. I just zerged the thing and it died. Chaos rising was more dificult on normal mode and i liked it much more, but it does not count for this list so...WC3>SC2>DoW 2 regular . In terms of story in general Warhammer/40k>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Warcraft/starcraft

TTwizardYer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TTwizardYer
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts

Dawn Of War 2 offers cooperative campaign and thats why it's the best. Playing campaing with your friend gives more fun than playing it alone.

Warcraft 3 it's old game and you shouldnt compare it to new RTS titles. It had vvery decent campaign.

The campaign of starcraft 2 is nothing special. Im bored playing it. Much more prefer spending a time on multiplayer.

---

Campaigns:

DoW 2 > W3 > S2

Overall:

Starcraft 2 > W3 > DoW 2

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

DoW2's SP is forgettable, other than the ARPG leveling fun. DoW2: CS however has a much more compelling campaign. bt still...

WC3 has the best SP out of the three. SC2 comes in second. WC3 has emotional charge throughout the whole game, but SC2 pretty much just lets cutscenes do the work.

while WC3 is great, it's not to say that SC2 and DoW2:CS are bad in any way.

ElBuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 ElBuro
Member since 2010 • 205 Posts

Of course Dawn of War 2, no contest here! - Campaign was well set in the lore, although you don't know it's full charm untill you play the Chaos Rising, where plotting, treason, corruption and your squad members personal history kicks in meddling with your brain even further as you discover their background with a typical dark Imperial climate! In this world there are no good guys, everyone is a psycho maniac and a bastard, they rearly have morals and among those crude and rough characters you are there to mantain order even if it means crushing your oposition with iron boot. Besides the game itself is much more demmanding, when you got few units and got to utilize their abillities and skills wisely unlike Starcraft where you just produce masses and waste them mindlessly.

Starcraft is on the Second place imho... Many people may have false ilusion of this game having an original campaign, because it has no such thing... what it has is an ORIGINAL and eye-appealing NARRATION - with lots of eye-candy cutscenes, amazing cinematics and Jim Raynor - my favorite Blizzard character so far. However! The very campaign is abolutely mediocre - it has it's moments, the few missions where you actualy use some special characters, but other than that it is just repetitive schemata of: build the base, gather potatoes, produce cannon-fodder, waste it on the map untill you win and in adition place your units on the marked territory to finish an objective. While story itself is really clichee, opresive anti-democratic government that needs to be put down, our politicly correct hero who leads the moral revolution and saves his girl in the end, saving galaxy, while the stereotypical ancient alien evil comes to destroy everything for no particular reason... like always.

Besides so many questions were left unanwsered, nothing has came to conclusion...

Is the deal between Raynor and Mangsk solved? No

What about the prophecy? - Nothing...

Future of Zerg? - Not said...

Xel'Naga? - Whatever...

Nothing came to conclusion... if you come to think of it, we are pretty much where we started before 1st Starcraft - Zerg, Protos and Terrans and Kerrigan is a human again. That's it... of course wrapped in beautiful box of cinematics and cutscenes, touching music, still, as for Campaign, it was booring and predictable.

Not to mention that whole Starcraft was a rip off of Warhammer 40k, and don't dispute with that, Chris Matzen admitted that they were deeply inspired with table top figure Warhammer games and so in late 90's they started producing Starcraft, and before it was even announced they've send their stuff to Games Workshop company asking would they like to have a Warhammer 40k RTS that looks like that. Hence blue Space Marines and Zerg, which were first introduced in games from 80's called Rogue Trader and Space Hulk - where you led a band of spacemarines clearing ancient derelict ships of Tyranid swarm.

Grats, Blizz...

The last one is Warcraft - a big 'gaming celebrity' of my childhood, but looking at it from nowdays perspective - it is simply silly. You cant make more clichee campaign actualy. And those very ideas now seems to me not only ridiculous or pathetic but honestly dumb stupid. Like the scene where Medivh convinces King of Loraderon to pack whole his country on ships and move to Kalimdor... remember that? Remember what he said? How would you react as a king, you sit in a throne room, doing the politics and making tough decisions while all of a sudden a bird turns into a man ans says: "WE ALL GONNA DIE! You got to go to KALIMDOR! Because Dooom is upon us! Or sth! Go! Go go go!"

you know, you need some stronger arguments and perhaps factual evidence if you want people to do something like that, seriously... C'mon, two sentences about doom and cataclysm, fire and unpleasant genitalia rash aint exactly a thing that would make whole nation flee to a continent they aren't even sure that exists... In fact, this prophet imho was the dumbest retard ever to exist in Warcraft universe.

The very concept of Burning Legion, who want to destroy the world... because... why not? Is like the lamest excuse for a story... Seriously, army of evil and deamons comes to destroy the world for no particular reason... again! It's like their national sport or something?

The campaign in expansion was actualy very good in comparison to that original from Reign of Chaos - Frozen throne had some dramatic moments, weird alliances and characters that werent exactly black and white and I liked that, that wat awoken some positive emotions in me as a player

But other than that, Warcraft 3 was the worst one, mainly cause it is a stereotypic Mediaval Fantasy setting - thing repeated, cloned and coppied so often I'm already bored just thinking of it...

LordAinav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LordAinav
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

Warcraft III's campaign was more memorable, SC2 have better presentation and mission variety.

DoW2 uhm graphics? :P

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
I really liked the story of the Warcraft 3 campaign. I found it way more intriguing than the original SC and DoW 2 campaigns.