Star Wars Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast Best Action Star Wars Game?

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

After playing Battlefront (2015) and last years Battlefront II and finding it lackluster as the reviews stated. People mentioned to try Jedi Knight series as those were far superior to the newer Battlefront series. I remember Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast on the PC back in 2002 and remember seeing it in action but never got around to playing it. After finally playing through it completing it I can tell you that it's light years ahead (in terms of gameplay) compared to the newer Battlefront games. From the beginning you of playing the game you can tell that the game play quality is far superior and the diversity of levels are great and challenging at the same time. Not to mention it had a great story to go along with it. You can tell that the developers put it in great deal time and effort to design the levels and the light saber battles are easily the best light saber battles in any Star Wars games (also great in Jedi Academy). Which begs the question, is Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast the pinnacle of Action Star Wars game? I heard that Jedi Academy was good but not as good as Jedi Outcast. Every other Star Wars after the mid-2000's has been garbage. I mean look at 2015's Battlefront, I literally got the game for $60 and they only had couple of maps. Where as Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast charged less and we got way more levels. It seems like from 2002-2005 we had the best Star Wars games. Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast (2002), Jedi Academy (2003), Knight of the Old Republic (2003), Knights of the Old Republic II (2004), Republic Commando (2005). And I think Disney made it worse with them acquiring the rights to the Star Wars franchise.

So, looking at over all the action Star Wars games Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast is the best action Star Wars games? Were the Mid 2000's the last great era of Star Wars games? What do you guys think?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

The thing I remember most about that game is to figure some of the levels out, you had to THINK like a Jedi.

Jedi Knight II had the perfect balance of physical combat and force powers. The gun play was okay but once you got that lightsaber you never looked at the guns again. It had some decent cinematic scenes like the first time you encounter an a ummm...ATST?

Was a good game, not the greatest. Some of the levels just dragged on forever, like that one where you had to find the different color key codes, or dag dang that garbage compactor level. Leave me alone.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Xtasy26: Thing is back then Star Wars games (or at least Academy and Outcast) were made by Raven studios published by LucasArts. While Battlefront 1 & 2 are made by Dice and published by EA.

You can clearly see what's gone wrong with the series.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

@Xtasy26: Thing is back then Star Wars games (or at least Academy and Outcast) were made by Raven studios published by LucasArts. While Battlefront 1 & 2 are made by Dice and published by EA.

You can clearly see what's gone wrong with the series.

True and I think that is the key difference. Although the Single Player in Battlefront II was developed by a different studio called Motive Studios. Maybe that's why it sucked. They don't have the Single Player Gaming pedigree as Raven Software. Disney should just pull the license and give it Activision, they seem to do a better job with certain titles. Maybe Raven Software will make another title.

@br0kenrabbit said:

The thing I remember most about that game is to figure some of the levels out, you had to THINK like a Jedi.

Jedi Knight II had the perfect balance of physical combat and force powers. The gun play was okay but once you got that lightsaber you never looked at the guns again. It had some decent cinematic scenes like the first time you encounter an a ummm...ATST?

Was a good game, not the greatest. Some of the levels just dragged on forever, like that one where you had to find the different color key codes, or dag dang that garbage compactor level. Leave me alone.

This is so true. Not to mention you get to use mind trick to get past the guards in some of the levels. :P

Thalandras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Thalandras
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

This was so true - especially in multiplayer! Remember some epic duels...