star citizen FPS mode delayed indefinitely

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

Star CItizen FPS delayed indefinitely

lol oh god.... i cant wait for more aticles to come out like this to prove that SC was basically just a giant pipe dream.

im prepared to read all of you guys saying how this is such a good thing and how SC is the best thing ever created

oh, and how that new 400 dollar ship is totally worth it... *rolls eyes*

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

You have some kind of irrational emotional investment in SC failing or something?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That's kind of a misleading statement. This just means the originally planned alpha test isn't going to be the same as originally thought. Technical issues came up throughout this entire alpha process (because it is alpha which means it's actively in development, not just being polished for release).

What's going to happen is they are reworking their testing schedule and changing how they are going to test things. Before they were thinking of Arena Commander as more of a "polished" release of Star Citizen that would be used as a test bed. This hasn't worked well for them. Instead they are going to start using a "public test universe" version of AC as more of a traditional alpha testing platform where they can iterate on things more quickly and get better feedback from playtesters.

So yeah, the actual release of the FPS part of the "finished" version of Arena Commander has been delayed until further notice, but that doesn't mean it's never coming. They are just going to start treating this thing like a real alpha test and not some weird retail version of the incomplete game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I think they are chewing more than they can handle.

This game will never live up to the massive hype it has created, but I hope they release some sort of final game and it's fun for the fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-578f2053b4a13
deactivated-578f2053b4a13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By deactivated-578f2053b4a13
Member since 2004 • 1671 Posts

Will this game be released before 2020? It looks so ambitious, I wonder if it'll ever get completed. And if it doesn't, what happens to the $70+ million dollars contributed to the developer?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Meanwhile.....$400 ships for sale. This thing has turned into a Virtual Space Lot Sim.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Better late than broken. Inb4 "but i want it nowwwwwwww"

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@vfibsux said:

Meanwhile.....$400 ships for sale. This thing has turned into a Virtual Space Lot Sim.

The Sims: Roberts Space Industries EXPANSION !!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-578f2053b4a13
deactivated-578f2053b4a13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 deactivated-578f2053b4a13
Member since 2004 • 1671 Posts

@vfibsux: People are fools. This game is barely even pre-alpha.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GoodKingMog

honestly... to delay a HIGHLY TOUTED portion of the game, and then release a new 400 dollar ship like the same day....

it shows you what their priorities are. $$$$ is all that matters. the game is never going to live up to the hype, and is never going to deliver the experience they want you to think it will.

at best, it is going to be a half baked, extremely buggy portion of the promised game.

at worse, you may just never see a final release of the game.

i honestly hope for the latter so that we can all move on from this early access, crowd funded bullshit. i want an amazing space game as much as the next guy.... but i want the death of buggy, half finished crowd funded games more.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Dang. Guess I'll wait til Skylake comes out before picking this up.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Game in pre alpha having issues? Ya not like this hasn't happened in every fucking game before it releases.. This game is probably not even 35% finished and people think a small hiccup of the unfinished product is the end of the game. I'll wait till the games done till then I hope they use that $60 dollars I gave them to make the game a better more enjoyable experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm still paying $20 a month towards the game and I'll enjoy it when it's complete.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@Wasdie said:

That's kind of a misleading statement. This just means the originally planned alpha test isn't going to be the same as originally thought. Technical issues came up throughout this entire alpha process (because it is alpha which means it's actively in development, not just being polished for release).

What's going to happen is they are reworking their testing schedule and changing how they are going to test things. Before they were thinking of Arena Commander as more of a "polished" release of Star Citizen that would be used as a test bed. This hasn't worked well for them. Instead they are going to start using a "public test universe" version of AC as more of a traditional alpha testing platform where they can iterate on things more quickly and get better feedback from playtesters.

So yeah, the actual release of the FPS part of the "finished" version of Arena Commander has been delayed until further notice, but that doesn't mean it's never coming. They are just going to start treating this thing like a real alpha test and not some weird retail version of the incomplete game.

I like this approach much more.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

Why are some people so butthurt about games that they have no interest in playing?

I've not spent a cent on Star Citizen but it baffles me to see the amount of intensity some haters have when talking about the damn game.

If Chris was to catch a cold tomorrow, you can almost imagine them screaming "SEE? WHAT DID I TELL YOU? THE GAME'S NOT GETTING MADE AND HE JUST WANT YOUR MONEY TO PAY HIS MEDICAL BILLS!!!"

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts

The "modules" of the game are just that. Independent sections of the game that will stitched together and form the game as a whole.
The FPS portion is behind, but will in no way interrupt the rest of the development teams on their own separate modules.

The FPS is still coming out - it is not, however, coming out soon as promised for us to Alpha/Beta test. No biggie.
It's an integral part of the game and will come out.
Chris Roberts honesty and transparency is why this is even a story to begin with.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

This game will never live up to the massive hype it has created, but I hope they release some sort of final game and it's fun for the fans.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to read the report. You'll find alot of good info about the development the FPS module and explains why this delay doesn't mean "star citzen" as a whole is delayed.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

@lawlessx said:
@FelipeInside said:

Do yourself a favor and take the time to read the report. You'll find alot of good info about the development the FPS module and explains why this delay doesn't mean "star citzen" as a whole is delayed.

I already did and know that it's due to the netcode on the engine and that it's a completely different team to the rest of Star Citizen.

I still think though that as a whole project they are doing too much at once. Hopefully the final game is good and not just a mix of mediocre parts.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@fatee said:

The "modules" of the game are just that. Independent sections of the game that will stitched together and form the game as a whole.

The FPS portion is behind, but will in no way interrupt the rest of the development teams on their own separate modules.

The FPS is still coming out - it is not, however, coming out soon as promised for us to Alpha/Beta test. No biggie.

Chris Roberts honesty and transparency is why this is even a story to begin with.

Yeah, stuff like this happens with most games but when they aren't crowdfunded there's no communication. When we're told about it because the company is about transparency then suddenly everyone panics and assumes that any mention of a setback or delay means the game is doomed.

-Byshop

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
@goodkingmog said:

Star CItizen FPS delayed indefinitely

lol oh god.... i cant wait for more aticles to come out like this to prove that SC was basically just a giant pipe dream.

im prepared to read all of you guys saying how this is such a good thing and how SC is the best thing ever created

oh, and how that new 400 dollar ship is totally worth it... *rolls eyes*

You seem kind of like an idiot. You literally wrote this with such hatred I could feel the heat coming from my monitor. Chill out, you don't want to play the game? Don't play it. I haven't paid a cent for the game and won't until the game comes out. If people want to that is their choice, stop being a butt hurt loser.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vfibsux

@rollermint said:

Why are some people so butthurt about games that they have no interest in playing?

I've not spent a cent on Star Citizen but it baffles me to see the amount of intensity some haters have when talking about the damn game.

If Chris was to catch a cold tomorrow, you can almost imagine them screaming "SEE? WHAT DID I TELL YOU? THE GAME'S NOT GETTING MADE AND HE JUST WANT YOUR MONEY TO PAY HIS MEDICAL BILLS!!!"

Ummm....I backed this game, so I will criticize the shit out of it all I want.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

@gunmaster55555: Please take it easy on the personal attacks.

-Byshop

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Drama queen journalists and misleading thread titles. Just another day on internet.

On topic: Glad they delayed it. Backend code is not ready and I can wait longer for better product instead of having another Battlefield 4 that was launched with broken backend code and took almost 2 years to be functional.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GoodKingMog

@Cloud_imperium said:

Drama queen journalists and misleading thread titles. Just another day on internet.

On topic: Glad they delayed it. Backend code is not ready and I can wait longer for better product instead of having another Battlefield 4 that was launched with broken backend code and took almost 2 years to be functional.

oh look... its SC's biggest shill. how much do you make for ever positive SC post?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cloud_imperium

@goodkingmog said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

oh look... its SC's biggest shill. how much do you make for ever positive SC post?

Says the guy who never misses a single opportunity to bash the game. Please don't reply if you don't have anything useful to say.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@goodkingmog said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@goodkingmog said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Says the guy who never misses a single opportunity to bash the game. Please don't reply if you don't have anything useful to say.

the shilling is strong with this one....

you could follow your own advice. dont post in my thread if you are going to be a little **** about it.

I'm sorry but it's you who always bitch and moan about this game and used to praise Elite: Dangerous when you were using your old Cyclone account. Not me remember? Please continue.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cloud_imperium

@goodkingmog said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@goodkingmog said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

the shilling is strong with this one....

you could follow your own advice. dont post in my thread if you are going to be a little **** about it.

I'm sorry but it's you who always bitch and moan about this game and used to praise Elite: Dangerous when you were using your old Cyclone account. Not me remember? Please continue.

1. my old cyclone account? what does that even mean?
  2. again, follow your own advice. dont post in my thread of you are going to just be a little **** about it.
  1. Don't try to be a smart ass.
  2. Don't make threads if you can't handle opinions. Seems like you only want people to write, what you want to read. Keep it up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@goodkingmog: Did your other account get banned, cylon?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 vfibsux

@rollermint said:

@vfibsux:

@vfibsux said:
@rollermint said:

There's nothing critical about the original post. Be critical all you want, Just don't be a dumbass hater about it because you may have buyer's remorse. If thats the case, thats entirely your fault.

Dumbass hater? Why? Because you don't agree with me? How about they stop fucking designing ships to sell for hundreds of dollars and finish the game? Is that being a hater?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@Byshop said:
@fatee said:

Yeah, stuff like this happens with most games but when they aren't crowdfunded there's no communication. When we're told about it because the company is about transparency then suddenly everyone panics and assumes that any mention of a setback or delay means the game is doomed.

-Byshop

I think them telling us this in a straightforward way really just reinforces that they really are on the up and up.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Yeah I like to call this the Spore syndrome. A game that promises to be all these different games packed into one, turning into a glorified compilation of mini games more than anything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@vfibsux said:
@rollermint said:

@vfibsux:

@vfibsux said:
@rollermint said:

There's nothing critical about the original post. Be critical all you want, Just don't be a dumbass hater about it because you may have buyer's remorse. If thats the case, thats entirely your fault.

Dumbass hater? Why? Because you don't agree with me? How about they stop fucking designing ships to sell for hundreds of dollars and finish the game? Is that being a hater?

Do you think the design team is the same team that works on netcode? Do you just want the design team to sit on their ass doing nothing while waiting for the networking backend to be fixed?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

So did ND come and say we need to re-write almost half of Uncharted 4 because the lead writer has left? Nope because developers don't tell the general public about development problems, they just "it's delayed, deal with it!". C.I.G., on the other hand, are completely open with the development, warts and all. They have to be due to the way they are funded but it also opened them to criticism that other developers will never get because of it.

So what if pre-alpha fps module is delayed while they work on getting it into a condition they are happy with, before putting it out into the big bad world. Better that than putting out something still carrying blockers and major bugs. I've been a SC backer since day one, I'm also a Golden Ticket holder (I doubt many people even know what that is now) and I'm still of the opinion that they can take all the time they need to make what is most probably the most ambitious game ever put into production. Did anyone seriously expect Star Citizen to be complete in 2 years?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Byshop  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:

So did ND come and say we need to re-write almost half of Uncharted 4 because the lead writer has left? Nope because developers don't tell the general public about development problems, they just "it's delayed, deal with it!". C.I.G., on the other hand, are completely open with the development, warts and all. They have to be due to the way they are funded but it also opened them to criticism that other developers will never get because of it.

So what if pre-alpha fps module is delayed while they work on getting it into a condition they are happy with, before putting it out into the big bad world. Better that than putting out something still carrying blockers and major bugs. I've been a SC backer since day one, I'm also a Golden Ticket holder (I doubt many people even know what that is now) and I'm still of the opinion that they can take all the time they need to make what is most probably the most ambitious game ever put into production. Did anyone seriously expect Star Citizen to be complete in 2 years?

Good point. RE4 was re-written and scrapped like 2 or 3 times before we got the final version, but all that happened behind closed doors. What we got in the end was what was considered by many to be the best game the series had offered to date. Can you imagine if they had been transparent with "teh internets" about everything that happened during -that- development process? People would have lost their minds over the setbacks not realizing that this can be a normal part of the process and it doesn't necessarily mean that the final product will suffer in any way.

-Byshop

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vfibsux

@ferret-gamer said:
@vfibsux said:
@rollermint said:

@vfibsux:

@vfibsux said:
@rollermint said:

Do you think the design team is the same team that works on netcode? Do you just want the design team to sit on their ass doing nothing while waiting for the networking backend to be fixed?

No, I think I don't give a shit about that. Stop spamming me with ship sales when you are not getting the game finished. It is a matter of perception and good business. They don't have to stop designing ships, but it is poor form to continue to string this along but still selling crap that does not even exist yet for hundreds of dollars. Just looks like a cash grab.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#41 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Should be good when it's done in 2020.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vfibsux

@rollermint said:
@vfibsux said:

Because hating a game cause they don't design it SPECIFICALLY to your wishes makes you a dumbass. And that if you chose to backed this even though you KNOW (or I would like to think that you aren't ignorant enough) the deal with kickstarter projects but now are having buyer's remorse? That makes you and the rest of you lot a dumbass hater.

I hardly follow Star Citizen development plans but what I've seen I'm actually quite impressed. The scope of the project is more than any other games have ever tried, in gaming history period. They certainly ARE trying to complete the project, what makes you think they are not? Are you that much of a simpleton?

It is primarily a spaceship game, 'em Spaceships are getting designed no matter what. That they CHOOSE to sell them to those who wishes to contribute to the development of the project and make a bit of money on the side, whats the big deal? They are out to make money, they are not a charity. Do i even have to tell this to you? Did they force ANYONE to buy them ships anyway? People make that choices themselves, if the game tanks then it is their problem. They made that choice and commitment.

SERIOUSLY, a PRE-ALPHA MODULE got delayed and people are getting their panties twisted? You pantsies are hilarious.

When you can relay your opinions without just blasting out insults I will give you the privilege of my reply.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Byshop  Moderator

The personal attacks need to stop now. If they don't the next step is the mod team starts handing out strikes.

-Byshop

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

in the x amount of years Ive been gaming, I've never seen anyone put as much effort and info into updating "backers" about the progress of a game as CIG has. I have a handfull of "early access" games and alot of them dont really tell you shit except for a random update every now and then. CIG actually fking cares, they know you've given them $ (yes I am a backer), and they want you to know the progress they are making every step of the way.

How many other Devs who are running early access right now do that?

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

all most of us wanted was another Freelancer or Privateer type game. I didn't want a p2w online space sim game, just give me freelancer 2.

The funny part is humans will probably land on mars before the people developing this game claim its done and stop collecting suckers money in kickstarter.

-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts

I only got 45$ in this game for an Aurora LN package so Im not stressing if it never happens. When I pledged well over a year ago I had high hopes. It was just more fun back then with TNGS and wingmans hanger and the like. As the funding skyrocketed CIG has slowly turned into just another big company making a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@goodkingmog said:

sounds like you have something personal against this game. what are you basing your doubts on? because it's not ready yet? LOL.

because here's the thing; Chris Roberts has ALREADY DELIVERED amazing space games in the past many times, so that kind of proves he (out of pretty much anyone else) has the skills to make something amazing like this happen.

will this game be the best space game ever made? hard to say at this point. will it fail miserably? hell no. Chris Roberts is now more experienced than ever before, so it can't fail completely.

EDIT: oh nevermind... i read his posts a bit further, and he's just some troll.

serilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 serilder
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

I just don't get it. Some of you guys flame @goodkingmog but you are allowed to spout nonsense about how much this game is a godsend? A person can have a different opinion. If you want to see the game succeed and he wants to see it fail....why is he the bad guy? You are just as bad to blindly follow a game that sells ships For anywhere from 2-40x the price of a normal game. YES, you can call it a pledge all you want but we all know you are buying a ship. Sorry but the game isn't even close to done and you are buying items in it.

Best of luck on your game but do yourself a favor and keep the hate off. Some people are going to dislike what you like.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GoodKingMog

@serilder said:

I just don't get it. Some of you guys flame @goodkingmog but you are allowed to spout nonsense about how much this game is a godsend? A person can have a different opinion. If you want to see the game succeed and he wants to see it fail....why is he the bad guy? You are just as bad to blindly follow a game that sells ships For anywhere from 2-40x the price of a normal game. YES, you can call it a pledge all you want but we all know you are buying a ship. Sorry but the game isn't even close to done and you are buying items in it.

Best of luck on your game but do yourself a favor and keep the hate off. Some people are going to dislike what you like.

dont speak logic... people on gamespot dont understand opinions. if you like something, you are automatically the good guy and if you dont like something, you are automatically the bad guy.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GoodKingMog

@groowagon said:
@goodkingmog said:

sounds like you have something personal against this game. what are you basing your doubts on? because it's not ready yet? LOL.

because here's the thing; Chris Roberts has ALREADY DELIVERED amazing space games in the past many times, so that kind of proves he (out of pretty much anyone else) has the skills to make something amazing like this happen.

will this game be the best space game ever made? hard to say at this point. will it fail miserably? hell no. Chris Roberts is now more experienced than ever before, so it can't fail completely.

EDIT: oh nevermind... i read his posts a bit further, and he's just some troll.

you seem pretty confused as to what an opinion is. i suggest starting with a google search for the definition.