S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Is it good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stryder88_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Stryder88_1
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
Dated graphics do not concern me in the least... what I'm looking for is a game with solid gameplay, and on paper at least, STALKER sounds awesome. One of my favorite games of all time was Operation Flashpoint for its amazing open-ended FPS experience and I'm hoping STALKER offers something similar... does it? Is it solid? I don't mind it if it's a bit rough around the edges and such (bugs...) as I'm confident they'll be patched. Just describe the gameplay for me please! Is the AI solid? Someone please try it on max difficulty and tell me about it. Thanks!
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Dated graphics do not concern me in the least... what I'm looking for is a game with solid gameplay, and on paper at least, STALKER sounds awesome. One of my favorite games of all time was Operation Flashpoint for its amazing open-ended FPS experience and I'm hoping STALKER offers something similar... does it? Is it solid? I don't mind it if it's a bit rough around the edges and such (bugs...) as I'm confident they'll be patched. Just describe the gameplay for me please! Is the AI solid? Someone please try it on max difficulty and tell me about it. Thanks!Stryder88_1
It's not a good game imo and I am already bored with it. Maybe others have a different opinion but to me it's not worth it.
Stryder88_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stryder88_1
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
bump
BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BenTheJamin
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
i personally have not played it, but it is way behind technology wise. it was first introduced when HL2 was coming out and would have been great had they released along with HL2, but they waited to long and now no one is interested because it is so out dated
PsychiKleftis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PsychiKleftis
Member since 2004 • 54 Posts

Been playing it for about 5 hours straight, and I definitely like it. The graphics are just fine (playing with everything maxed), I wouldn't even call them dated. Great atmospheric effects, think cool lightening and things like that. Great sound effects. The AI so far actually seems pretty believable...the human enemies are pretty good at flanking you unexpectedly and the weaker kind of animals definately favour flight over fight if you tag them a couple times. If you're looking for an open-ended FPS game I think this is it. I'm 100% happy with my purchase so far.
The complaints that I've seen have been largely that the game is actually too hard and I've had to remind more then a few of them they need to use the iron-sights (right click by default) to get any kind of ranged accuracy. This is NOT a run and gun game, you definately need to proceed through hostile areas carefully and try to get the drop on your enemies.

Oh, and just a personal note I really like how there are many different kinds of weapons, like automatics, pistols, shotguns, etc...most FPS games it's like...here's THE pistol, here's THE shotgun, here's THE machinegun kind of thing and it's kind of bland.

If all that sounds good to you, go pick it up ;)

Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nerfing
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

Been playing it for about 5 hours straight, and I definitely like it. The graphics are just fine (playing with everything maxed), I wouldn't even call them dated. Great atmospheric effects, think cool lightening and things like that. Great sound effects. The AI so far actually seems pretty believable...the human enemies are pretty good at flanking you unexpectedly and the weaker kind of animals definately favour flight over fight if you tag them a couple times. If you're looking for an open-ended FPS game I think this is it. I'm 100% happy with my purchase so far.
The complaints that I've seen have been largely that the game is actually too hard and I've had to remind more then a few of them they need to use the iron-sights (right click by default) to get any kind of ranged accuracy. This is NOT a run and gun game, you definately need to proceed through hostile areas carefully and try to get the drop on your enemies.

Oh, and just a personal note I really like how there are many different kinds of weapons, like automatics, pistols, shotguns, etc...most FPS games it's like...here's THE pistol, here's THE shotgun, here's THE machinegun kind of thing and it's kind of bland.

PsychiKleftis
It's STRAIGHT, and you've spent almost 40 bucks on a game you call STRAIGHT? I'll take your word for that! :) I'm pretty tight with my money, I probably won't buy it from the reaction of their community.
MOLTOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MOLTOX
Member since 2002 • 5232 Posts
I like the game a lot. No other game has ever offered what this game does. The atmosphere alone is simply great.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
[QUOTE="Stryder88_1"]Dated graphics do not concern me in the least... what I'm looking for is a game with solid gameplay, and on paper at least, STALKER sounds awesome. One of my favorite games of all time was Operation Flashpoint for its amazing open-ended FPS experience and I'm hoping STALKER offers something similar... does it? Is it solid? I don't mind it if it's a bit rough around the edges and such (bugs...) as I'm confident they'll be patched. Just describe the gameplay for me please! Is the AI solid? Someone please try it on max difficulty and tell me about it. Thanks!Deihmos
It's not a good game imo and I am already bored with it. Maybe others have a different opinion but to me it's not worth it.

i share his opiion
Bohica28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bohica28
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts

I really enjoy the game.

It is incredible hard though. I mean, wow. The AI is pretty good and you defiantly must get the first shot otherwise your pretty screwed.

The graphics are awesome, lots of detail in every item. Plus this game has the best lightening effects i have ever seen. 

d00ms4yer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 d00ms4yer
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts
i was really hyped, but i honestly don't like it all, it's way way too buggy, sometimes i get a get an error message saying its because of a bug and asks me to submit it, but i cant do anything because its crashed. all in all very disapointed ill sell the game for 20 bucks.
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nerfing
i was really hyped, but i honestly don't like it all, it's way way too buggy, sometimes i get a get an error message saying its because of a bug and asks me to submit it, but i cant do anything because its crashed. all in all very disapointed ill sell the game for 20 bucks.d00ms4yer
If you submit it on ebay or amazon.com I'll buy it. :)
d00ms4yer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 d00ms4yer
[QUOTE="d00ms4yer"]i was really hyped, but i honestly don't like it all, it's way way too buggy, sometimes i get a get an error message saying its because of a bug and asks me to submit it, but i cant do anything because its crashed. all in all very disapointed ill sell the game for 20 bucks.Nerfing
If you submit it on ebay or amazon.com I'll buy it. :)

i actually just put it on craigslist
arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 arangadillo
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
i dont understand? how can people be split down the middle with this game? some say it sucks hard and others say its really fun and challenging. it seems to be 50/50 (love/hate). The graphics seem just fine in my book, and the general idea seems intresting. The only issue that I am worried about is the bugs and crashes. some people have none and others can't even play the game. i find it hard to beleive. i would like to give this game a shot, however i cant to able to play it. i have a duo core 6400 nvidia 7900 GT 1 gig of ram does anyone have a similar system? How does it run?
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nerfing
The same except I have AMD 64 x2 4400+
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
Dated graphics do not concern me in the least... what I'm looking for is a game with solid gameplay, and on paper at least, STALKER sounds awesome. One of my favorite games of all time was Operation Flashpoint for its amazing open-ended FPS experience and I'm hoping STALKER offers something similar... does it? Is it solid? I don't mind it if it's a bit rough around the edges and such (bugs...) as I'm confident they'll be patched. Just describe the gameplay for me please! Is the AI solid? Someone please try it on max difficulty and tell me about it. Thanks!Stryder88_1
the graphics are quite amazing especially the lighting if you max it out, but the recommended specs for high is 8800 yes, it says 8800 in the readme. The gameplay is great, I really enjoy it, I rated it 9 out of 10. I love the freedom in the game, I think the AI is just fine.
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts

The AI is cheap. They will shot through metal, wood, concreate, around corners. Oh and you'll slowly die from "Radiation" while they pick you off with every shot.

The game sucks bad 

arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arangadillo
[QUOTE="arangadillo"]i dont understand? how can people be split down the middle with this game? some say it sucks hard and others say its really fun and challenging. it seems to be 50/50 (love/hate). The graphics seem just fine in my book, and the general idea seems intresting. The only issue that I am worried about is the bugs and crashes. some people have none and others can't even play the game. i find it hard to beleive. i would like to give this game a shot, however i cant to able to play it. i have a duo core 6400 nvidia 7900 GT 1 gig of ram does anyone have a similar system? How does it run?

ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ElectricNZ

The AI is cheap. They will shot through metal, wood, concreate, around corners. Oh and you'll slowly die from "Radiation" while they pick you off with every shot.

The game sucks bad

acsguitar
dude, you can get suits and artifacts that are radiation resistant, you don't even know enough about the game to judge it. They do NOT shoot you around corners, that is so BS, they don't shoot you through walls. They have a very realistic spotting range.
arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 arangadillo
[QUOTE="acsguitar"]

The game sucks bad

ElectricNZ
dude, you can get suits and artifacts that are radiation resistant, you don't even know enough about the game to judge it. They do NOT shoot you around corners, that is so BS, they don't shoot you through walls. They have a very realistic spotting range.

I have been hoping that iy's BS but he isn't the only person that has been saying this. Now if this game is stealth based then I can see how people feel that they are getting shot through walls and such. It's mostly likely that they are being killed by an NPC that they haven't noticed. Myabe they are rushing through the game and expect to "attempt" to get head shots and mow down a whole army from the beginig. If thisgame is stealth based I will really love it. I like to hide and kill silently. I don't like to run around shooting because in real life someone is going to shoot you in the head from a mile away. I am going to try this gae out and all I hope is that it isnt a lemon.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElectricNZ
Its anything based, you can play to whatever style you want....
arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 arangadillo
Its anything based, you can play to whatever style you want....ElectricNZ
Wow, I just read what I wrote. Would you believe that I am a native English speaker?...an English teacher at that? Sorry for my horrid grammar and spelling. My only excuse is that I have is that I just spend 14,614 Yen, 100 bucks give or take, on STALKER and Never-winter Nights 2. I live in Japan so the price gets jacked up. For example if I bought Titan Quest with Expansion it would cost me the same...I heard I could get it at best buy for 35 bucks...anyway that is way off topic. Ok, well I will definitely take the stealth approach. The crappy part about all this is that I wont get this game for a week or so...I just hope the general view of this game improves or I will be slowly regretting the 6000 yen I spent on it.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

The game sucks bad 

acsguitar

Bullets passing through solid objects is more of a glitch in the game world than an A.I. issue methinks. How far did you get in the game?

I died a lot during the first couple of fire fights, especially the one when you have to fight those military guys. I think that's the second story mission in the game. Once I got used to the game and got some better weapons, the fire fights became much less frustrating and more fun. I haven't died from radiation yet either. You know you can take vodka and anti-radiation medication, right?

d00ms4yer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 d00ms4yer
the graphics were good imo, the ai was wicked, and the gameplay style was different, the thing that threw me was the bugs and the crashes. I played the game on the settings it selected and it was choppy sometimes and ran fine others. Despite how long it took for this game to come out, it feels rushed. After class tomorrow im gonna give it one last hurrah and check out the multiplayer, but thus far im disappointed and it looks like ill be getting rid it.
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
stalker is an amazing game with a good story as well.  the gun fights are alot of fun (even gamespot says so.)  i am just having so much fun with this game.  more than quake 4 and fear even. 
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
Is there a demo for it, if so try it.
PsychiKleftis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PsychiKleftis
[QUOTE="PsychiKleftis"]

Nerfing

It's STRAIGHT, and you've spent almost 40 bucks on a game you call STRAIGHT? I'll take your word for that! :) I'm pretty tight with my money, I probably won't buy it from the reaction of their community.

I don't understand what you're trying to say to me...something about how I call the game straight? What...? I PLAYED the game for 5 hours straight...now it's actually more like 8...

Anyway. I wanted to reply to about 5 posts so I'll just sum up my reactions:
The AI does not shoot you through solid walls. They may shoot you through wood or cloth if they think you are there. This is called realism. They are trying to kill you.
If you get radiation poisoning you have to CURE IT. It simply does not just go away. This too, is called realism.
The AI is quite impressive and challenging. Your human advesaries attack and fall back behind cover, charge when you're shooting at someone else, and just generally try to outflank you. If you're constantly dying in this game then you REALLY need to go back to playing a simple run-and-gun type game (don't get me wrong, those are fun too). You must have an understanding of the simple concept of avoiding bullets using cover, firing back with controlled bursts, and flanking groups of enemies.
Also, to reinforce what I mentioned before the graphics are NOT outdated. The effects are some of the best I've seen in any game...from the gentle breeze that rustles the grass and creates small tornadoes of leaves in courtyards to a roaring wind that rips through the trees kicking up dust to lightening storms at night illuminating a battlefield that briefly betrays an enemies location...this game displays it's very long production time.

Personally I'm very happy with a challenging FPS game instead of the kind that I can rip through on the hardest difficulty in 6 hours the first time through.
So basically it comes down to: Can your computer run it, and, is a game this challenging something you want to play?

arangadillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 arangadillo
bump
PsychiKleftis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PsychiKleftis

ZOMG UPDATEZ:
getting rifles with scopes makes the game even more fun!
That is all.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#29 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
The game is great in nearly all areas. Oh and just for your information bullets pass through walls and metal in real life, especially if they are using armor piecing bullets. This feature is great. The AI is very dynamic, occasionally it will be buggy but it's very good. For example AI won't know where you are. Say you shoot from one location, they spot you and you sneak off around a small ridge. They will flank the position you were last at, so you can come from behind but don't be loud. AI will also fire back just to check you are there and to supress fire. They pop out of windows and go back in buildings. Like Far Cry they will hide behind objects and not stand out in the open being idiots. Also AI attack each other, gotta love dogs :)
shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts

Very good game but the crashing is pissin me off..... I am at a part right now, that everytime I try to continue with a Main misison in the story, with in 5 mins of me getting in the area the game crash's.....  Its pretty much killed the game for me :(   O and not to mention the fact that I will go to do a mission and it won't let me complete some of them ..... totally annoying that I waste like 20 mins running from one side of the map to the other, just to find out I can't complete it due to a bug.... LAME !

Overall you can tell that what they were trying to create in the beginning of this game, was going to be amazing, but due to typical buisness ( money makes the world go round :( ) this game is prob like 1/4 of what it could have been :(

And it kills me how bad my 7900GS runs this game !  I need a 8800GTS so bad :(

shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts

Actually I just read up on Stalker and vista.... seems that, that might be part of my Framerate issues :(  wonder if it has to do with the crash's as well :(

ewakio51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ewakio51
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I've been having a great time with it. It's like Flashpoint (open environments and realistic ballistics) + Fable (open environments and RPG elements) + Half-Life 2 (dystopian feel). The atmosphere is really incredible, the AI is pretty damn good - every time I fight against bandits or other enemies, they always seek out cover and shoot from behind it; the mutant AI is great too since they act like animals in the wild would (in packs and in their own territory). It is a bit rough around the edges but I haven't come across any huge bugs and it hasn't crashed yet after a couple days of playing.

Also, it's been known that it doesn't work well with Vista so it'll crash a lot and you will have frame rate issues because of it.

PsychiKleftis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PsychiKleftis

I hear so much crap about Vista but along with this new computer I got Vista...and I've not had a single problem with it...playing Oblivion even higher then max settings (with mods), WoW runs perfect, FEAR, Dark Messiah runs amazing, and every other game on my shelf that I've bothered to install has worked with 0 problems.
The only small trouble I had with STALKER was that I had to update my graphics card driver (GEFORCE 8800 GTS) and that took 5 minutes with the automatic updater.

I guess I'm just lucky huh?

home1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 home1986
Member since 2004 • 43 Posts

Actually i was quite disappointed with this game when i first played it.

After giving it another few more hours of chances, i am now feeling ok with it.. Just that this game is not optimized(As you can see in the forum, many are not happy with its frame rate). And also a resource hog.. I can feel my system is struggling hard to get it run.

I hope that new patch is round the corner and fix the frame rate buggy..

oOreVenOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 oOreVenOo
Member since 2007 • 89 Posts
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is very good game and what is the most important have lot of new solution. Of coz have also lots of bugs as you can see that fram rate bug, difficulty bug (15 bullets on one enemy!) etc, i think the comeing patch will fix everything and it will be GOOD game. :)
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Played the game for a couple of hours and I can't agree more with what some negative people here have to say. Look closely at the grass and the trees, I've not seen such bad renderiing since Duke Nukem or Iwo Jima, it really looks so unrealistic that it made me laugh and walk into a radiation spot so I would not have to watch this any longer. The A.I. is better IMO, the first firefight you have showed that the enemies have some A.I., hiding behind objects so you can't shoot them, things like that. But it's not the best I've seen. They certainly didn't go all the way around to surprise or flank me. They just popped out from their cover onto the same spot again, so not much of an A.I. anyway. Apart from that, the sound adds to the creepy feeling of being in a place which you rather wouldn't want to be in...
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#38 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I have my impressions down in my blog.... to break it down.... i like this game and i want patches to fix the few issues i'm facing so that the game will be even more enjoyable.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
[QUOTE="acsguitar"]

The game sucks bad

ElectricNZ

Ive been shot trough walls many times in that game now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
For those people having perfomance problems try this : http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-34287187&pid=540331 It helped me alot , now i get a steady 30-60 fps with dynamic lightning. Now to get on-topic. When you begin a new game you are really thrown into the story , you don't know who you are or what you are doing here. The enviroment is really giving you the fealing of a nuclear territory with a look of a "Fallen" country. The weather effects is pretty neat with the dynamic lightning , it can be rainy with lightning to the sun shining with a clear sky. Let's just cut to the chase (Don't have much time to spend atm) I give S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyle :9.3 Graphics:9.6 Sound:9.3 Value:9.7 Technical Balance:8.3 This is a great game Btw: This is my computer spec Vista Ultimate 64 bits (SV) XfX 7800GT 256 mb Xtreme edition , 2 1024 mb corsair Pc3200 [C3] , AMD Athlon 64 3700+ san diego core , An8-SLI , two 500 gigabyte harddrives (total of 1 terabyte). I have encountered no crashes or bugs with this game ,,, yet .
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

I picked it up today for $28 new at FRY's. I can run the game with high settings, not maxed, with an ATi X1950PRO card just fine. The game is cool. I like it. Very, very hard tho...

MP on the other hand just blows. The net coding is terrible. I've never played a laggier game in my life.