Spore Mega-Thread : All Discussion in here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Moderator Note - From this point forward, all Spore Discussion needs to go into this thread. You could also use the game specific board.

I am Biggest Loser and you are here to ask questions about Spore!

After many posts I chose something different.... I chose the impossible... I chose...

Spore! The Official Thread of the Offical Game. *Dramatic Music*

A thread where players would not fear to ask questions about the game! Where the casuals would not be constrained by the system requirements! And with your questions Spore: The Official Thread of The Official game can become your thread too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Paper Bag Reviews:

• Gamespot Spore Review
  • IGN Review
  • Gamespy Spore Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it an MMO game?

"No!" says the man on Gamespot! Spore is unique in that while it has multiplayer elements involved there will be no direct live contact with other players. Players' created content gets saved to a master server and will be downloaded by the client-software of other players.

Do I need an internet connection to play?

"No", says the man in the Forum! Although the content sharing feature requires an internet connection, you can turn it off, and play only with the content that is made by the developers, like in any other offline game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release Dates: PC, Wii and DS:

September 5th 2008: Europe!

September 7th 2008: North America.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is your life getting you down? Why not design someone elses!

• Tidal Pool Phase:

Guide your microbe around a 2D environment dealing with uhhh fluids (I don't exactly know what these are..yick).

• Creature Phase:

Customise your creature and bring the ol' girl to the 3D environment!

• Tribal Phase:

Here you will be able to control a tribe of creatures! Its like Survivor...minus the weird accents and the council and your creature getting dismissed. Imagine that: "Randomy generated creature....the tribe has spoken".

• Civilization Phase:

A simplified version of Sim City where the ol' tribe has grown and needs your attention. Hopefully no water pipes in this one..yeesh..

• Space Phase:

Play missionary and colonise uninhabitable planets!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Requirements: Not Announced

It is most likely, given that the game is several months from release, that it is still being optimised

Please people, for the good of the state, don't ask: "Can I run it" yet.

The first person who does seriously ask if they can run will win a lucky door prize

*** A message from the threads lawyers***

Prize cannot be guaranteed. Prize is not actually real. Prize will not be sent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step right up! Its show time! Spore > Paris

Isn't it time you beat Paris at her own game and made your own home movie?

Now you can with your Spore creatures!! In Spore you can easily click a button to begin recording and then upload the video to Youtube! Forget hiring El Spielbergo! Its just that easy!

You can also export creature animations as a .gif file.

There's talk of Spore comics being created - so yay for that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Official Site: Purchases (Update)

Sharing or "downloading" player created content is a core feature of Spore, not at all something that is part of the Spore Store or even under consideration for additional charge. The entire game is based on players making creatures, buildings, and vehicles which can be accessed from what we call our Sporepedia – a web based collection of all player created assets.

The Spore Store simply gives players the ability to purchase out-of-game merchandise such as t-shirts and posters or any additional game products we might make down the road such as expansion packs. For example, we are working with a company to provide the option for 3D versions of a player's creature to be made and the Spore Store is where that purchase would originate. We have also mentioned that we will be providing the Creature Creator tool as a stand alone product in the month or two before the game launches so that players can begin to design their creatures, but we do not have plans to sell individual parts via micro-transactions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featured Links to better threads:

Gamespot's latest Spore Preview

Exclusive Interview with Will Wright!

http://www.sporefan.com/

http://www.xspore.com/

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/forum.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;forums

http://www.xspore.com/news/385_spore-creature-editor-release.html

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/853791p3.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://pc.ign.com/articles/866/866966p1.html

A trial version of the Spore Creature creator will be available for free through a variety of sources including as a download from Spore.com and in The SimCity Box. There will also be a version of the Creature Creator available at retail. The free Creature Creator has about 25-percent of the creature making parts from Spore. The retail version will have 100-percent. It's up to the players to choose which version they want, but they'll all be available at approximately the same time.

The Creature Creator functions identically to the creator you'll find in Spore.

You'll be able to share creatures you've made or import other player's creatures that you've downloaded from the Sporepedia

Your creatures will work in Spore when it ships if you use the Creature Creator prior to the release of Spore. There won't be a need to re-make them.

The Creature Creator version in the SimCity Box as well as the free download and full retail version will be available around the same day in June.

Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Begemott
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
Sadly, this is one of the weakest megathreads. I expect better from you BL.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 biggest_loser

Sadly, this is one of the weakest megathreads. I expect better from you BL.Begemott

What did you expect from me ?

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="Begemott"]Sadly, this is one of the weakest megathreads. I expect better from you BL.biggest_loser

What did you expect from me ?

Links to the latest screenshots, previews and other information? I dunno.

Edit: Looks a lot better now, thanks BL!

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

Yea you might want to link to some gamespot previews (like the big one they just released), and also add a link to the main spore site.

Also, you might want to just tidy up the layout as well.

It's coming together though :)

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
I should start a mega thread, It would be so awesome for like 1 minute until I realize that in my attempts to find a game there is no longer a mega thread for, I just made a mega thread for something absolutely nobody cares about. Then I die in a corner in despair
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

For the 3rd time you can't create an official thread for it because there are hardly any threads about it, and usually its mods who make official threads.Lonelynight

Well actually Krall's given him the go ahead on creating a topic.

Edit: To Biggest_Loser on creating this thread I mean.

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts

For the 3rd time you can't create an official thread for it because there are hardly any threads about it, and usually its mods who make official threads.Lonelynight

Doesn't mean I can't try!!!

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]For the 3rd time you can't create an official thread for it because there are hardly any threads about it, and usually its mods who make official threads.G013M

Well actually Krall's given him the go ahead on creating a topic.

Edit: To Biggest_Loser on creating this thread I mean.

Sorry my bad

albinO_Ocotpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 albinO_Ocotpus
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts
Im sure this will evolve into something greater as more information is released. Its a working process thats running with limited information. Be positive for once you nay-sayers. :twisted:
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Good work BL :D
Chadcicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Chadcicle
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts

this is my most anticipated game this year.

napp123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 napp123
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts

The Creature that destroys your civ will be mine8)

QXMQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 QXMQ
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts
Spore will be the best game of 08 or the most disappointing.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
What knid of a system will it take to run this game? Will it use mostly CPU or GPU or both?
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

What knid of a system will it take to run this game? Will it use mostly CPU or GPU or both?McJugga

This is currently unknown, however based on demos seen at E3, Spore fans are predicting specs similar to that of The Sims 2. [ Link ]Spore FAQ

Erandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Erandel
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts

Even the mightyest of megathreads needs to take its beginning step somewhere, and comprehensive megathreads take time to compose / bring together, so for a beginning I don't think this megathread is bad.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
I hear God is a beta tester for this.
Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Begemott
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
Ah. Much better now.
Masterfubu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Masterfubu
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

Yea you might want to link to some gamespot previews (like the big one they just released), and also add a link to the main spore site.

Also, you might want to just tidy up the layout as well.

It's coming together though :)

G013M
great idea, spores gonna be awsum
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 biggest_loser

What knid of a system will it take to run this game? Will it use mostly CPU or GPU or both?McJugga

"The Official System Requirements for this game have not been announced yet!"

All games now require a powerful CPU and GPU

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts

TBL,

Can you add some of this stuff to your first post?

Fan sites:

http://www.sporefan.com/ seems to be very up to date on info.

http://www.xspore.com/

Offical GS forum http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/forum.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;forums

------

Creature editor due out before Spore release: http://www.xspore.com/news/385_spore-creature-editor-release.html

FAQs:

Is Spore multiplayer? An MMORPG?

The short answer: No. Will Wright describes Spore's on-line feature as Asyncronous Sharing. Spore is unique in that while it has multiplayer elements involved there will be no direct live contact with other players. Players' created content gets saved to a master server and will be downloaded by the client-software of other players. In this way, a player will interact with the content created by another player in a non-intrusive manner.

Do I need an Internet connection to play Spore?

No. Although the content sharing feature requires an internet connection, you can turn it off, and play only with the content that is made by the developers, like in any other offline game.

From http://www.xspore.com/faq.html

More FAQs http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-41532720&pid=926714

----

In depth look at the editor: http://kotaku.com/356249/spore-creature-creation-preview

----

I was also kinda hoping you'd write the whole thing up in the s tyle most of your posts are done in ;)

In short it needs more work before it can be made into a sticky, sorry :)

gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts

Why do you have the obligation to create the "Official" threads? Do you think it will be stickied until the game releases? Not a single person has even spoken on the game, just complaining about the thread.

I am not really excited for this game, but it has a lot of hype so I might actually find out what it's about :)

Wii and DS? Shouldn't all those that cried when Far Cry 2 got announced for consoles chime in with a tear here too? Or is it that Nintendo systems don't count? That wouldm ean you aren't concerned about PC exclusivity, just don't want the game coming to Xbox360 and PS3.....

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
Game seems dumb. Ps2stony
That's the most intelligent post I've seen. Ever. /sarcasm Why would you say that without giving some sort of reason? What aspect of the game seems dumb to you?
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts

^Idk... Reliving 4 Billion years of evolution? In cartoons? Just kinda seems dumb to me.

And sarcasm makes people look stupid. /sarcasm

GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreaterthanG0d
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

^Idk... Reliving 4 Billion years of evolution? In cartoons? Just kinda seems dumb to me.

Ps2stony

Yes. Of course this game is dumb, I mean, COME ON guys - Re-living and experementing with evolution, planetary politics and diplomacies spanning the galaxies..... this game **** screams dumb! Not to mention the INSANELY complex multivariable calculus and differential non-linear algebraic functions that went into mapping the progressively processed AI and OTS creature physics.

SLASH SARCASM

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ps2stony
[QUOTE="Ps2stony"]

GreaterthanG0d

Yes. Of course this game is dumb, I mean, COME ON guys - Re-living and experementing with evolution, planetary politics and diplomacies spanning the galaxies..... this game **** screams dumb! Not to mention the INSANELY complex multivariable calculus and differential non-linear algebraic functions that went into mapping the progressively processed AI and OTS creature physics.

That' what I'm saying. Glad you agree with me.
xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xmen1414
Member since 2006 • 1948 Posts
[QUOTE="GreaterthanG0d"][QUOTE="Ps2stony"]

Ps2stony

That' what I'm saying. Glad you agree with me.

why all the hype you paying $50 for a cartoon with clay and bad graphics go spend you $50 on a good game like half-life 2 or unreal 2004 and othere good games like that! even go out and buy C&C 3!

and if you want evoultion ggo buy a science book!

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ps2stony

Sorry, I would like you, xmen1414, to describe Spore to me. I guess I'm an idiot for thinking starting out as a microbe and then growing to be a a creature capable of colonizing planets is evolution.

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ps2stony
I came in here giving my opinion. That's "posting", isn't it? And I'm stupid, yet youahven't heard of Spore and are actually wanting to RESEARCH it? Oh boy, how charming you must be to talk to in REAL LIFE.
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ps2stony
^Sorry, but PLEASE describe Spore in your own words. I'm not flaming it, I said it SEEMED dumb from what I know of it. Obviously I, like I said, AM AN IDIOT. So PLEASE, OH PLEASE describe this game for me, so I can "GTFO" and stop "HAXING AND STEALING THE EPICS".
gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gotcha455

I came in here giving my opinion. That's "posting", isn't it? And I'm stupid, yet youahven't heard of Spore and are actually wanting to RESEARCH it? Oh boy, how charming you must be to talk to in REAL LIFE.Ps2stony

You came in trolling with remarks about "This game is dumb" That may be your honest opinion, but why reign on everyone's parade?

I've heard of Spore....... It's Will Wright's title that has been waiting to release for a long time..... I've heard of the game on numerous occasions.

Research..... I haven't been following the game so I didn't know much about it..... Not much more to explain here. I looked at a crap load of previews and it really does look awesome though.

Real life? You'd be surprised.

GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreaterthanG0d
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

Man, the first time I saw spore was on a STUNNING 35 minute video on youtube in June '06. I was so stunned by what I saw the game surpassed my WoW addiction. And trust me, that's something.

Honestly, this game has the most powerful in-game editing engine of its genre. Hell, its the only game in its genre. How many all controlling God Games do you know? Not many, if any. Sims and B&W dont compare to this scale.

Absolutely terrific stuff from Will Wright, and while I'm at it I want to tell that guy something :

No more Sims games please!

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ps2stony

I DID NOT say this game is dumb. I said it SEEMS dumb. I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT FACT. It's opinion.

And why the hell won't you get off my back? Hating someone on the internet is sad, and I'm becoming a little sad right now...

And btw... First off-topic post was by you... You were all "Im reporting for giving opinion!" and crap.

gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gotcha455

I DID NOT say this game is dumb. I said it SEEMS dumb. I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT FACT. It's opinion.

*Both of those are opinions*

And why the hell won't you get off my back? Hating someone on the internet is sad, and I'm becoming a little sad right now...

*For some reason you really irk me, you seem like a youngster looking to stir up trouble, which is OK, but I dislike being heckled for reporting a mildly disruptive post. I've actually only reported someone on one other occasion. It doesn't feel too good to be honest.*

And btw... First off-topic post was by you... You were all "Im reporting for giving opinion!" and crap.

*Most off the posts in this thread were off-topic. *

Ps2stony

I'm done, I'm starting to feel like a keyboard cowboy here. Truce?

xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xmen1414
Member since 2006 • 1948 Posts
[QUOTE="Ps2stony"]

*For some reason you really irk me, you seem like a youngster looking to stir up trouble, which is OK, but I dislike being heckled for reporting a mildly disruptive post. I've actually only reported someone on one other occasion. It doesn't feel too good to be honest.*

gotcha455

no lets keep going on this horrible game!

Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ps2stony
[QUOTE="Ps2stony"]

gotcha455

Yeah! Let's start flaming xmen now XD! (I jk!)
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ps2stony
And uh... I still think Spore is the evolution system game 0_0 Is it really?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 biggest_loser

And uh... I still think Spore is the evolution system game 0_0 Is it really?Ps2stony

Yes it is! It is all about virtual evolution! Some could compare it to stem cell researching as well!

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#50 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Im getting spore as soon as it is released. I cant wait for it finally come.