This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheoParke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheoParke
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Hey all ..
I am looking for a game, preferably a Mac game but it doesn't have to be .. I want to be able to do screen captures of space ships (capital ships like the Starship Enterprise for instance) in various environments (planets, asteroids and so forth). I'm making short movies with the game The Movies and what I would love to be able to do is do camera flybys of big starships. I have Star Trek Legacy, which is okay, except I can't seem to find a way to just have a ship in a place where I won't be attacked by a hostile AI. Also, it doesn't allow me to turn the HUD off. I've also experimented with Freelancer, but again, can't figure out how to turn the HUD off. 
If I can just find a game where there's a way to do a HUD-less screen capture of a spaceship that I can edit into my movie for transitions and the movie's introduction (think of the Enterprise steadily approaching a planet in the opening scene of a Star Trek episode for instance) .. I would happily plunk down the money. I would prefer a Mac-based game cause it's one less step to have to transition it from Windows to the Mac (I do the editing in iMovie), but a Windows game would suffice.
Anyone have any ideas for me?
Theo
kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts
You can probably do that in X3 reunion but you might wanna look into it before you buy it
zepp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zepp1
Member since 2002 • 9802 Posts
Try the Homeworld series. Not sure if they have it for Mac but it's easy to create sick looking massive star fleets and huge capital ships, and you can zoom in/out and all that jazz.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

I think X3 might be a possibility, it certainly has some big ships, but I'm not sure whether you can get rid off the HUD in that either. I've only played it for about 15mins so maybe someone with more time on it can answer.

Spaceforce on the other hand has a camera anglewhich removes the HUD and allows for some great screenshots and videos, but unfortunately it concentrates the camera on your own ship and you can't really fly those big capital ships yourself in it ..to my knowledge. If it has mods or something to allow flying those then I think it could work, tho the camera isn't very flexible, I know there are some mods in the making(google), but not sure whether those involve any playable big ships.

DarkStar 1 has pretty lame "capital ships" if you can even call them that, and can't remember how the HUD was but I doubt you can get rid of it completely.

In Tarr Chronicles you can only fly fighters but there are some big capital ships in the game, but once again I think the HUD is on the way.

Homeworld(2) like someone mentioned might be the best choise, maybe ..and can't really think of more.

kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts
Shift+H will kill the HUD in X3.
sykonfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sykonfc
Member since 2004 • 607 Posts
Homeworld 2 has a MAC version and it still looks pretty. :D
TheoParke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheoParke
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the help, and especially for the great screenshots! I'll check out both X3 and Homeworld. Both are available in Mac versions.
:)
Theo