This topic is locked from further discussion.

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 beachbob1
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

Which one should I get and why?

Lost Empire

Space Force Captains

Sins of a Solar Empire

Galactic Civ 2

Space Empires

Or you suggest?

My favorite games Total War2, Civ, and Age of Empires2 (Liked the mp). I like a good political system to talk with the npc's and some strategy I hate games where rush...(most units win)

Tx for any post.

Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts

Sins FTW

oh uh why? Crap well it's got probly the best managment I've ever seen, UI is easy and useful, so much to do..and you'll most likely love it if your a Total War fan (like me)

spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

GAL CIV 2 is basically civ4 in space but with better customization of your opponents and better AI.

SINS is a 4XRTS, so you're combining the two genres into a single game. It's more in depth than a typical RTS and you can't really rush per se, although it does happen. Also, a thing to note is that sins is not like your typical RTS game, a single game can take at least several hours to complete and at most, well, you'll find out.

check out mfsa's review of SINS since he basically summarizes the pros (and cons, of which there really aren't many) of the game.

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 beachbob1

I am downloading the demo for Galactic Civ 2 Gold. Is there a demo out for Sins and if so where can I get it?

(I am on a amd64 x2 with a GeForce 7300 LE t, 320 HD, 2048 MB) You think Sins will run smooth in multi player. Think my graphics card sucks?

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Sins is the best.
Helloiseeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 Helloiseeu
Member since 2007 • 786 Posts
Galactic Civlizations 2 is insanly fun. Get that!!
filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts
Sins all the way.
matt120282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 matt120282
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

i can reccomend sins thoroughly, awesome game.

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 beachbob1

Galactic Civlizations 2 is insanly fun. Get that!!Helloiseeu

I got the demo and it needs a tutorial. WTF I am so lost its no fun.

matt120282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 matt120282
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

[QUOTE="Helloiseeu"]Galactic Civlizations 2 is insanly fun. Get that!!beachbob1

i found it confusing at first (the demo of GalCivII) im sure its a good game, but i never got into it. Sins is much more pick up and play there are 5 short tutorials and thats all you need to jump right in

Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts

[QUOTE="Helloiseeu"]Galactic Civlizations 2 is insanly fun. Get that!!beachbob1

Check the gal.civ. home site, they have a beginners guide to dread lords that will take you through much of the earlyl elements of the game.
bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
Galactic civs will suit your needs(especially if you liked civilization). But I highly reccomend sins of a solar empire, there is no demo out yet but they are working on it now.
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gogators4life
Member since 2006 • 4654 Posts
Sins
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

I am downloading the demo for Galactic Civ 2 Gold. Is there a demo out for Sins and if so where can I get it?

(I am on a amd64 x2 with a GeForce 7300 LE t, 320 HD, 2048 MB) You think Sins will run smooth in multi player. Think my graphics card sucks?

beachbob1

I think it will, my 8500 GT is basically a 7300, so it would play smooth.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
masters of Orain is the best space game ever!!!!!! after that sin of salor empire is ok and fun but it's no masters of orin.
Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts
I don't know why everyone recommends Sins of Solar Empire. I find controls and
user iterface lacking, gameplay is really slow and unbalanced, AI stupid for
the most part.

You have your constant pirate raids, battles do not require any micro management.
You just put your level 6 or so Capital ship in middle of battle and let it take out
rest of fleet.

If you want space strategy, get Homeworld II. It might not be as "deep" as Sins claims to
be (honestly, you can't see effects of upgrades in tech tree for the most part), but at least
it's very fun to play and has decent story line.
Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
Anyone recommend Space Empires V or Sword of the Stars?I've been looking for another good turn-based space strategy game similar to Dread Lords.
beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 beachbob1

Anyone recommend Space Empires V or Sword of the Stars?I've been looking for another good turn-based space strategy game similar to Dread Lords. Ken1a

Galactic Civ gold demo turned me off. Bad graphics and no tutorial. I can't get into it. Space Empires graphics look bad too. I am downloading the Sword of the Stars demo now. Theres a demo for all 3 of these on gamespot.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

the most part.

You have your constant pirate raids, battles do not require any micro management.
You just put your level 6 or so Capital ship in middle of battle and let it take out
rest of fleet.

If you want space strategy, get Homeworld II. It might not be as "deep" as Sins claims to
be (honestly, you can't see effects of upgrades in tech tree for the most part), but at least
Creative

Stupid AI? Lacking UI? Right...

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

the most part.

rest of fleet.

Creative

Yes battles dont require any micro management because in sins you have the ability to play on a huge map with multiple star systems and hundreds of planets. With that size you will have huge fleets and you will have battles going in multiple places of your empire. Creating a game that required you too much attention for your units wouldn't work in this game.

Since 1.03 AI is great, pirates are fine, they are super easy to defeat. I and many others purposely let the other people out bid me early in the game so my capital ships can level up. Not to mention pirates are a completely optional thing in MP and SP. I dont see how anyone can say that the UI in sins is lacking, it is one of the best out there. It is so sleek and clean and allows you to control planets and ships without actually looking at the ships themselves, learn how to use the empire tree and you'll be amazed.

You can defintely see the effects of the upgrades of the tech trees, you would be blind not to. Without investing in research your economy would be crap, you would be stuck on frigate ships, your ships would have low HP, low weapons, low armor, etc.

Please explain how the gameplay is unbalanced?

beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 beachbob1
Home World 2 looks amazing for a 2003 game. I can't find it for DL anywhere if it really cheap maybe I'll get it. (the demo is available but I can't find the game.) Sins of the Solar Empire does look like the best game out but no Demo yet!:( ( I want to play the demo for sure considering the last 3 demos I tryed made me not want the game lol.)
darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
There's not much I like about Homeworld 2 besides the graphics. Sins is a way better game.
beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 beachbob1

I Picked up Sins of a Solar Empire today. Graphics and interface look Great. Doing the toturials now.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17892 Posts

sins eats lives....IT EATS LIVES!!!!

great game.

if u want an old classic then homeworld 1 and 2 and cataclysim are also brilliant.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Sins is simply amazing. If you have $40, get it. Games last a long time. You won't know if you've lost until the very end (unlike most strategy where you can tell you're going to lose just because you're behind on resource gathering or a few points). AI is easy, but I haven't tested the 1.03 AI yet (I heard it was hard for some people, but... I haven't lost to AI yet and I have only won one RTS multiplayer match, which was because someone dropped out). Effects aren't the greatest (Personally, I expected more imagination put into ship weapons/explosions). Upgrade system lets you stay ahead of an aggressive opponent. Each race is rather unique in gameplay wise. TEC is focused on trade/resources (my personal favorite). Another is focused on upgrades and the last is aggressive with conquering planets.
beachbob1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 beachbob1

[QUOTE="Creative"]I don't know why everyone recommends Sins of Solar Empire. I find controls and
the most part.

rest of fleet.

GodLovesDead

Stupid AI? Lacking UI? Right...

I got Sins and it Rocks! Total War in space with MP. UI is great. Lot of depth to the game. Great Graphics. AI is kicking my but. Missing a single player story to flesh out the universe but they are only charging 39.99. Hope we get a story in an expansion. Great Game.

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
Go with Sins or Gal Civ 2..I tried the demo for spaceforce Captians and it's awful..read the reviews
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
If you like the old style RTS like Age of Empires then you might be interested in checking out an older space RTS called Conquest: Frontier Wars. Out of the current games Sins of a Solar Empire is very popular. I've only played the game for about 2 hours and it is a lot of fun. There is no single player story mode though and time goes VERY fast while playing the game. It is fun though, not that hard to learn and seems to have a fair bit of depth to it in terms of researching.