This topic is locked from further discussion.

shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts
I just watched the whole Firefly series and I was wondering if there was any space rapg that also lets you go on the planets. I have tried the SWG trail and that is ok but I dont want in the Star Wars Setting.
Anamaxander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Anamaxander
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I have also watched the entire Firefly series, and loved it. Unfortunately, there aren't any games out there that are too similar to Firefly. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a RPG that has been acclaimed as having one of the best stories of any game. There is a Firefly MMO in development, though I read about it quite a while ago and I am not sure whether it has been dropped. It was part of the Multiverse project, which aims to create an MMO engine that game developers can use as a starting point for their games. Although it does not have walking around on planets, EVE Online is a fun, complex, MMO for mature gamers. It isn't for everyone, but it does have incredible potential.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

I just watched the whole Firefly series and I was wondering if there was any space rapg that also lets you go on the planets. I have tried the SWG trail and that is ok but I dont want in the Star Wars Setting.shaneras

i LOVE Firefly/Serenity, and you can imagine i HATE FOX.

Anyway, there is an official Firefly mmo in the works for 08/09

chimparzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chimparzan
Member since 2004 • 361 Posts
never really played it but freelancer maybe? I heard it was a pretty good space game, and when I played it kinda seemed diablo with space ships.
Avatar image for TitusAndronicus
TitusAndronicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 TitusAndronicus
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts
Anachronox is a fine sci-fi RPG. It's definitely not the greatest game out there, but it's got a lot of personality and might be worth a look.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Nothing new aside from KOTOR 1-2, but there are couple excellent older RPGs like that, I would especialy recommend:
Planet's Edge
MegaTraveller 2
Space 1889
Hard Nova
HydroMat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HydroMat
Member since 2006 • 157 Posts

freelancerand i-war 2 are closest to firefly i'd say, both great games

freelancer has a good storyline followed by sandbox (do what you like) afterwards, merc/trader etc

Independance war 2 you have a crew similar in some respects to firefly's folks and the story hinge's on them, though the game takes a more realistic approach to space travel different from freelancers mouse control arcadeyness (inertia etc, more complex flight mechanics)

both are solid polished games (look great and play brilliant), the latter being totally overlooked and under-rated.

Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts
No idea at all what "Firefly" is/ was. Not a clue.
kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion, whilst not RPGs in the traditional sense of the word, they are open-ended universes for you to trade, explore, exploit and build in.

The X series impressed me as it was the first game (since I-War) that actually let you build mining facilities and actually have an perpertual existence outside of a single ship.

Either way, X3 is up on Steam for something like $20. It's not an easy game to get into, but the graphics are to die for (the graphics are on par if not higher than the CG in most Sci-Fi TV shows)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
DarkStar One is action-RPG
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WARxSnake

i wouldnt mind more space rpg's a la freelancer or whatever, but I think being part of a larger force with huge fleets (a la freespace2, wing commander series, and ESPECIALLY Starlancer) is cooler, I want another Starlancer :P

They have the technology these days to easily pull off massive fleet battles with true destruction, ion cannons being fired all over the place and bombers making their sub-system bombing runs on the huge capital ships while more fighters prepare to launch out of the docks, where you could either get the admiral's point of view from one of the capital ship's bridges, or from the point of view of another fighter in a squadron... where the hell is this game??? Do they think there's no market for sci fi space battle sims?? Half of the world is a starwars/sci fi fan so why not!? (i know thats exageration, thank you).

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Get a 360 and wait for Mass Effect. That's what I'm doing.
shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

Get a 360 and wait for Mass Effect. That's what I'm doing.BounceDK

yea Mass Effect is the first thing that comes to mind. Also I have played Eve and that was good but got confusing at some times.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WARxSnake

Get a 360 and wait for Mass Effect. That's what I'm doing.BounceDK

and what does mass effect have to do with any of this. We are talking about a Space flight sim/rpg, not just another scifi rpg.

But yeah i swear I'll get Mass Effect, just for you, since youve been working so hard selling the game in boards that have nothing to do with it.

Sup11722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sup11722
Member since 2005 • 1757 Posts

www.anarchy-online.com/

http://sco.gpotato.com/

Are To MMORPG space games if your into that kind of stuff

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts

[QUOTE="BounceDK"]Get a 360 and wait for Mass Effect. That's what I'm doing.WARxSnake

and what does mass effect have to do with any of this. We are talking about a Space flight sim/rpg, not just another scifi rpg.

But yeah i swear I'll get Mass Effect, just for you, since youve been working so hard selling the game in boards that have nothing to do with it.

Awwwww poor baby
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WARxSnake
awesome comeback which has nothing to do with how i feel.

actually, i feel sorry for you, doing all this work for bioware and not getting paid.

The Medal of honor Airborne boards are kinda active these days, maybe you should go into a random thread and talk some more about mass effect.. or just more of those Crysis threads

anyway... back on topic, its not an rpg but just a sim, you can try bsg-beyond the red line fan made freespace2 mod among many others, theres also a wing commander total conversion, which are all free.

As for the Firefly mmo: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162937.html?tag=result;title;2

Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
Space Siege sounds pretty good.Its being developed by Chris Tayor (Total Annihilation),and it's supposed to be a "space RPG," don't know when it will be released.The preview sounds interesting.
Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts
Not an RPG, but is anyone else excited about the Battlestar Galactica TC mod that is being worked on right now?
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WARxSnake

Not an RPG, but is anyone else excited about the Battlestar Galactica TC mod that is being worked on right now?Philmon

it looks like an awesome game, with good voice acting, a rarity in mods.

Tried the demo and they have so many advanced movement controls that i used WADS and mouse and ditched the joystick, the game controls so much better with mouse and keyboard since you can reverse, sidestep, fly with an angle of attack, and do all kinds of crazy space stuff. The demo was great, anyone who likes space sims should try it.