space games that you dont directly command ships

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OptiSTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OptiSTR
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts
hello ive been looking for a game where you dont command directly the fleets, but only by giving away orders like "raid nearby systems" or "protect the colony" or whatever.... sort of star trek bridgne commander combined with FTL and Masters of the Worlds. Any ideas?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Gratious Space Battles I believe is one.

I haven't played it in awhile.

if you're quick you can still get it here.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59316 Posts

Sins of The Solar Empire.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

You're actually describing a whole genre of games. Games along the lines of what you are looking for are referred to as "4X space games" (explore, expand, exploit, externimate) and there are a lot of them out there. Google that term and you'll come with with a bunch. Homeworld, Endless Space and Stardrive are just a few.

-Byshop

OptiSTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OptiSTR
nono you guys missed my point thing is that i dont like managing fleets, and all the x4 games are about fleets are warfare. what i want is a strategy game where you do fighting but without directly controlling it, while focusing on empire management.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

nono you guys missed my point thing is that i dont like managing fleets, and all the x4 games are about fleets are warfare. what i want is a strategy game where you do fighting but without directly controlling it, while focusing on empire management.OptiSTR
I'm not really follwing what you mean. 4x games are about empire building, resource collection, diplomacy -and- combat, but just "fleets are (sic) warfare". You don't -directly- control combat in 4x games usually so I don't know what you mean by "without directly controlling it". Can you give an example of a game like what you're describing or is this something you've imagined and hope exists?

-Byshop

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts
I'm just the opposite, I want to do the protecting of the colony only and not all that mundane administrative stuff. The only game I can think of that might be what you want is Galactic Civilizations 1/2/dread lords. Here's a list to look through: http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/1020/article/top-10-space-strategy-games-for-pc/ And there's always google. Sorry, I can't be more help.
OptiSTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OptiSTR

[QUOTE="OptiSTR"]nono you guys missed my point thing is that i dont like managing fleets, and all the x4 games are about fleets are warfare. what i want is a strategy game where you do fighting but without directly controlling it, while focusing on empire management.Byshop

I'm not really follwing what you mean. 4x games are about empire building, resource collection, diplomacy -and- combat, but just "fleets are (sic) warfare". You don't -directly- control combat in 4x games usually so I don't know what you mean by "without directly controlling it". Can you give an example of a game like what you're describing or is this something you've imagined and hope exists?

-Byshop

like startrek bridge commander, you dont directly controll the ship but giving orders and the ship reacts to it
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

star trek: new worlds

homeworld 1 & 2