Soooo...about Aion.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

MY buddy is absolutely begging me now for an MMO to look out for. I basically told him look for nothing until TOR or Guild Wars 2... However, he is absolutely sick of the massive amounts of FPS on his Steam account. It's weird because he doesn't really like solo RPG's like Oblivion or Dragon Age, it's either gotta be an fps or mmo.

With all that said, how is Aion now compared to it's release. We played it at release..and...it had SOOO much potential that just got ruined. The grind was ATROCIOUS and PvP was verrry "meh". Even the PvE instances I did up to 33 bored me to tears. Anyone that can comment as to if they have fixed it up a bit? (And for anyone recommending an MMO, I believe we've covered just about all of them lol, WoW, AoC, Aion, Warhammer, Champions Online)

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Nope still broken.. why not try Eve? Best MMO out there..
Xavier_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xavier_12
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts
Patch 1.9 (a lot of changes) comes out next week I believe. I stopped playing a long time ago but worth checking out the changes. Age of Conan is the MMO that is really improved.
rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts
Might wanna recheck AoC, a lot of folks saying its a lot more improved now and has more content.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts
I don't think the grind is that bad. I know to help alleviate some of the whining some players have really been doing, NCSoft usually makes every other weekend a 2x experience weekend. On top of if your character is level 20+ and has been resting (not logged in) for about 36 hours (give or take a bit), you'd have a full rested experience boost to use for when hunting - a 40% boost. On top of that as well, if you have any Lodas amulets, you can use one of those to gain an extra 20% boost to exp for 1 hour (reusable every 10 hours if you have more). In the end, on the 2x exp weekends if you add it all together you're getting a 260% boost to experience gain in a hour span (if you activate a lodas amulet). You can tear through very large chunks of the 40+ levels doing this and you can run from level 20 to level 30 easily (if not more, depending on your playing time) just over one of those weekends. On these 2x exp weekends I generally just play an alt. I found that moving through levels too fast on my main and I miss out on good items from quests and boss runs (though the drop rate is still kind of pathetic). I hope the next big patch improves on things more to help tidy up loose end and make the overall experience in Aion more enjoyable. I like how Aion feels more like a grownup type feel, over how cartoonish and childish WoW feels. That's just my two cents.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Its all very well they are eliminating grind but the bigger problem is their is nothing to do end game.. only one new instance and that's it..
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

MY buddy is absolutely begging me now for an MMO to look out for. I basically told him look for nothing until TOR or Guild Wars 2... However, he is absolutely sick of the massive amounts of FPS on his Steam account. It's weird because he doesn't really like solo RPG's like Oblivion or Dragon Age, it's either gotta be an fps or mmo.

With all that said, how is Aion now compared to it's release. We played it at release..and...it had SOOO much potential that just got ruined. The grind was ATROCIOUS and PvP was verrry "meh". Even the PvE instances I did up to 33 bored me to tears. Anyone that can comment as to if they have fixed it up a bit? (And for anyone recommending an MMO, I believe we've covered just about all of them lol, WoW, AoC, Aion, Warhammer, Champions Online)

trijity
You should come back to WAR and play with me :)
Rose-Do-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rose-Do-San
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Hey i couldnt help but read your comment and i was just wondering if you have aion on pc or online/ even if you are a level 33 it dont have to be boring one of my friends decided she would have a big party and everyone came they danced she even went to a wedding it only gets boring if you stick to your quest and miss the greater opitunites of having a wicked time my friend instead of having a battle she had a dance off it was amazing and funny aion is not all game and no fun it all fun and no game but i can see why you've reached lvl 33 all ready.
stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
Hey i couldnt help but read your comment and i was just wondering if you have aion on pc or online/ even if you are a level 33 it dont have to be boring one of my friends decided she would have a big party and everyone came they danced she even went to a wedding it only gets boring if you stick to your quest and miss the greater opitunites of having a wicked time my friend instead of having a battle she had a dance off it was amazing and funny aion is not all game and no fun it all fun and no game but i can see why you've reached lvl 33 all ready.Rose-Do-San
I tried reading that out loud and ran out of breath halfway through. Punctuation is your friend.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Aion stinks...thats all I can say about my time spent with it.

The best part of the game is the character customization...

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Since people are suggesing other games:

I just feel like suggest Pirates of the Burning Sea once again:

Very social and friendly place
Unique ship combat and also some land combat.
Cool trading system
If you're not playing solo things will be even more interesting as you can take on more and harder ships and spice the whole grind up a bit.
The place is also pretty pvp active and very fun and can also be rewarding if you do it right (for example taking down a trader with a ship full of items)!

I reaaaaally think it's worth checking out. And last time I checked Aion they had decreased the experience required for level up but I just couldn't get into it. I came back a few months after release just to find that the lower level areas were completely dead and I found that very lame considering there are a whole bunch of group quests.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts

Aion stinks...thats all I can say about my time spent with it.

The best part of the game is the character customization...

SRTtoZ
That may be true to you, but you don't justify your response here on the boards without telling us why the game "stinks". I could say that Crysis stinks, or WoW stinks.....or Bad Company 2 stinks; but what does anyone get from my statement other then I'm just a jerk spouting off my dislike towards a game? It would be more constructive of me to actually list out issues I have with any game I don't like and reasons why I have those issues so other people get a better idea of my thinking.
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

It's boring. Don't bother.

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations/responses. I trully don't know much about Eve Online although I told him that it is one of the more popular MMO's. He isn't into the whole space setting though, he likes the more fantasy-esque environments with orcs/swords/shields/ etc. Looks like we are forgetting on Aion. I said 33, but I realized I was actually lvl 38 when I quit, and even if NCsoft gave me triple exp 24/7 I would STILL complain about the grind lol. I remember killing mobs for 2 hours straight for a quarter of a level, it was soooo bad. Pains me to say but I think he is going to look at Allods Online since it looks like a WoW clone, and out of the MMO's we've played, WoW was by far the best.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations/responses. I trully don't know much about Eve Online although I told him that it is one of the more popular MMO's. He isn't into the whole space setting though, he likes the more fantasy-esque environments with orcs/swords/shields/ etc. Looks like we are forgetting on Aion. I said 33, but I realized I was actually lvl 38 when I quit, and even if NCsoft gave me triple exp 24/7 I would STILL complain about the grind lol. I remember killing mobs for 2 hours straight for a quarter of a level, it was soooo bad. Pains me to say but I think he is going to look at Allods Online since it looks like a WoW clone, and out of the MMO's we've played, WoW was by far the best.

trijity
Thats the problem with mmos, how can you compete with blizzard? Other mmos are good too though, just not better. I have a lot of hope for biowares star wars mmo though.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

trijity

u ever play GW? you can get a free trial on the site and its buy once then no subscription.

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Nope don't go for it LOTS of BOTS and spams and scamers! I'm NEVER going to join a Korean mmo again! Hell I just may join WoW when Catalysm comes out. Sure Aion is a good game but damn it gets boring after lvl 30+.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Eh.

Aion was a disappointment for me.

Dull... dull... dull quests, and so much grinding that it slowly became a repeat of everything I hate about this cookie cutter MMO design. Terribly uninspiring, made worse by my legion quitting a few weeks after release.

At least AoC had deeper PvP, and games like EVE Online are actually unique.

Tbh the best thing about it was getting the collectors edition Asmodian figurine to put on my windowsill.

Which still looks awesome.

Otherwise EVE Online gets my recommendation. It is a very tough, cut-throat game due to its massive focus on *player interaction in a persistant world* (something that more MMOs should be about than the themepark design template).

The likelyhood of you disliking it is high, otherwise there is always AoC and Warhammer.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

I'm playing Aion now and while some of the quests can be a little typical and there is a bit of a grind, after 3 months I am still really enjoying this game. With 1.9 patch coming and maybe other enhancements I look forward to playing this until Guild Wars 2 comes out.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
i was so hyped about aion , after i got dissapointed with guild wars and lost all my hopes in asian mmos i tried aion and guess what ? the game is just as horrible as other asian mmorpgs ... so much grind , all those screams and eeks everytime i cast spell , those horrible animations . Lore at first was quite amazing but later on it just fails to deliver the great idea . pvp is unplayble , super unbalanced ( you pvp with pve gear ! ) . the game is just ussual asian grindfest , not worth any1's time ! no more ncsoft / asian mmo's for me ! if you want good mmorpg with good graphics go for AOC , i resubed few weeks ago and i am having a blast on pvp server without all those gliches , bugs and unbalances people expierenced last year ... also you can try APB , open beta should arrive soon enough , and the new 0.9 patch is brilliant , whoever played 0.6 patch should come back and try new version , its completly new exp ! and playing it with a buddy is fun as hell :)
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

all those screams and eeks everytime i cast spell , those horrible animations .Farkeman

Not that it matters, cause obviously you hate ncsoft or anything remotely related to it.

There is an option to turn off those screams (as you call them)

And horrible animations? really?? You can not like the game thats fine, but the graphics in Aion are amazing. And ok I'm sorry you have a right to your opinion, but still. ;)

Deus_Ex_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Deus_Ex_Fan
Member since 2006 • 625 Posts
If WoW isn't your cup of tea, EQ2. No it doesn't have 14 million fake subscribers, but the production quality in that game (and computer requirements to run it) I have not found in another game. The weekly updates are like patches for other games, as something new is added frequently. SoE is crap upon crap, but EQ2 is a game if you want to group to raid, it is the game to play. Plus, a zillion ways to customize your character; home; guild and ride. Trading is also okay, and it beats WoW's auction house by leaps and bounds (as long as you log in every week, your sell items remain on the broker...and you don't pay to sell them, the city tax is paid by the buyer. None of this selling 12g armor for 24g only to have the AH take 20% off the top, despite your listing fee -- and zero storage problems [40 slot bags/boxes x 6 you can carry, and 40 crate x8 shared bank with alts]). The goodies are in EQ2, just be aware of the drama queens in the game though. :/
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Aion felt too generic, cumbersome and unresponsive when i played it. It was literally impossible to get into after having recently quit wow after 5 years.