Someone here feels like he missed out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fluxation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fluxation
Member since 2011 • 37 Posts
My friend asked me what games i was playing as a kid and i told him that i missed on most of the single-player titles because i was busy playing MMO and coop games with friends as a kid/teen (when i was small i played only what my parents bought me so i ended up playing the same games over and over again). Anyway, he said that i missed on all the good years what makes me less of a gamer. I told him that when he played games as a kid/teen, i played them too just like him, does it matter WHAT i played? i dont understand his logic. (im pretty sure i even played more then he is, i really spent like forever in my youth playing the pc). Now im kinda feeling down. I was playing the pc like a maniac since i first got it in the 90', yet i missed so much games. (it was only in 2006~ where i finally quit MMOs) I have great memories of playing MMO but i now feel like i missed the golden era of pc. Do you sometimes regret getting late to pc gaming? or just feel like you missed?
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

My friend asked me what games i was playing as a kid and i told him that i missed on most of the single-player titles because i was busy playing MMO and coop games with friends as a kid/teen (when i was small i played only what my parents bought me so i ended up playing the same games over and over again). Anyway, he said that i missed on all the good years what makes me less of a gamer. I told him that when he played games as a kid/teen, i played them too just like him, does it matter WHAT i played? i dont understand his logic. (im pretty sure i even played more then he is, i really spent like forever in my youth playing the pc). Now im kinda feeling down. I was playing the pc like a maniac since i first got it in the 90', yet i missed so much games. (it was only in 2006~ where i finally quit MMOs) I have great memories of playing MMO but i now feel like i missed the golden era of pc. Do you sometimes regret getting late to pc gaming? or just feel like you missed?Fluxation

I was playing multiplayer games like BF2 while single player games were King but I have been going back and playing what I had missed like Deus Ex and Doom 3. It's never too late.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i missed out on the multiplayer of twitch shooters. my favorite kind of shooter
Animorganimate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Animorganimate
Member since 2003 • 713 Posts

I'm older (30) and have been gaming since the early 80's...so, no, I don't think I've missed anything.

In fact, I think I've experienced the best there is, and I'm very content.

Now that I think of it, I'm quite the opposite of you, actually. I have never touched an MMO, and don't plan on delving into that any time soon (I have an addictive personality...things would turn out bad, I'm sure.)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
i never played any fast paced fps until quake live lol. No quake 3 or anytin
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I went the other route, I stuck with single-player games and had a blast.
bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 bigbeebis
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

I played only SP games because I had no friends with spare controllers. I've had a great childhood with Duke Nukem, Morrowind and Pokemon games, though.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

I went the other route, I stuck with single-player games and had a blast.topsemag55

Yeah, same here. Never played the MMOs, BF3 was the first multiplayer game i spent significant hours at (except for some hours of CS). I haven't spent a minute playing WoW or similar games. I guess i just fall in the category of gamers who prefer single player games. Maybe I missed out? We shall never know.

Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

I missed too by playing a lot of MMO but dont let it bother you.

You played what you liked back then, so this is whats important, you dont *need* to play the well known games if you dont like them.

You can always play what you missed NOW. Dont care about people who played those game some years ago, numbers are just numbers and they dont have mystical powers.

Dont give a damn about what others played, because they sure dont give a damn about what you played.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Tell your friend that he is an idiot, and there's no such thing as 'less of a gamer'.
thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts
[QUOTE="Fluxation"]My friend asked me what games i was playing as a kid and i told him that i missed on most of the single-player titles because i was busy playing MMO and coop games with friends as a kid/teen (when i was small i played only what my parents bought me so i ended up playing the same games over and over again). Anyway, he said that i missed on all the good years what makes me less of a gamer. I told him that when he played games as a kid/teen, i played them too just like him, does it matter WHAT i played? i dont understand his logic. (im pretty sure i even played more then he is, i really spent like forever in my youth playing the pc). Now im kinda feeling down. I was playing the pc like a maniac since i first got it in the 90', yet i missed so much games. (it was only in 2006~ where i finally quit MMOs) I have great memories of playing MMO but i now feel like i missed the golden era of pc. Do you sometimes regret getting late to pc gaming? or just feel like you missed?

Nah, you can be fulfilled within - with or without computer games. Don't forget Buddha became enlightened b4 things like computer games / movies etc.
Tanya_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Tanya_19
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts
I had a bunch of friends as a kid and they all played video games. Doom, Duke, console, all the good stuff. And you know what? now days they dont even game anymore, they stopped playing somewhere around 2002 i think. And besides, there is nothing *special* about those who played back then and experienced all the older games while growing up, because seriously, i dont know someone who DIDNT play back then. I mean, all the kinds i knew played video games, its more interesting to see who actually continued (and ill tell you, not much, from all the group of friends that i had, im the only one who continued playing games, and i didnt even played doom or duke back then).
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

This is why digital downloads are so great, you can go pick up a bunch of older titles on Steam or GOG.

Anyways, don't feel down just because someone has to think they're better than everyone else. There's no point fretting about what other people think you missed as long as you had fun.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
well thanks to the capabilities of the platform and the fact that people still do play those 90's multiplayer games, its never too late. i'm just happy i made the switch to pc.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

[QUOTE="Fluxation"]My friend asked me what games i was playing as a kid and i told him that i missed on most of the single-player titles because i was busy playing MMO and coop games with friends as a kid/teen (when i was small i played only what my parents bought me so i ended up playing the same games over and over again). Anyway, he said that i missed on all the good years what makes me less of a gamer. I told him that when he played games as a kid/teen, i played them too just like him, does it matter WHAT i played? i dont understand his logic. (im pretty sure i even played more then he is, i really spent like forever in my youth playing the pc). Now im kinda feeling down. I was playing the pc like a maniac since i first got it in the 90', yet i missed so much games. (it was only in 2006~ where i finally quit MMOs) I have great memories of playing MMO but i now feel like i missed the golden era of pc. Do you sometimes regret getting late to pc gaming? or just feel like you missed?PublicNuisance

I was playing multiplayer games like BF2 while single player games were King but I have been going back and playing what I had missed like Deus Ex and Doom 3. It's never too late.

right. me too. back in the day, halo and doom and UT were all major spinners in my game trays as well as the slews of fighting games i sucked down. but now im getting in to deus ex (the first two) and half life and other gems.....man, its never too late to catch up on the games you missed. good games are good games no matter when you buy them...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I went the other route, I stuck with single-player games and had a blast.topsemag55
Same. Played only SP until World of Warcraft.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
I feel like this all the time, but my computer is so bad I'm "stuck" with a lot of these older games. I'd like to get competitive in many of them and see them come back to life, so to speak, but that doesn't seem like a feasible reality. :cry: I recently started playing Tribes Next after Tribes Ascend wouldn't work on my computer, and hundreds still play, but there are only a few active servers left. There is still a competitive league going, which is nice, but I really feel like I missed the boat by about 7 years. I am going to start playing Doom multiplayer soon, which apparently has a hell of a lot of people still playing (no pun intended), and that still has some competitive leagues as well. I also play smaller games like Assault Cube and Fortress Forever, which both boast tight-knit communities of less than 500 but still are extremely competitive in spirit and nature, and have both been really awesome experiences for me. Quake Live... not going to go there. So many problems with the way id handled it, it's doomed to ever make it off of the ground and become popular again. In any case, I feel like I really missed the boat with a lot of games that I really like playing. My friends tell me to buy a new PC, which I will in about a year when I have the money, but they still can't tell me to stop enjoying games from an era long past, but an era that still lives on for many people. I missed the arena shooter era, which is my favorite genre; I missed Doom, Tribes 2, Team Fortress Classic, Quake 3 Arena (for the most part), and some others. It's such a shame that these games won't ever really come back into the spotlight again unless there is a miracle. I once thought about spending some cash and picking up a lot of copies of Doom for the GS PC community and seeing if some people wanted to start up a little GS community that plays older games like Doom, Tribes Next, etc. but that has not (yet) become a reality.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Your friend is 100% wrong! In fact, he's the one who missed out. Singleplayer games can played whenever. The time of when you play them is hardly important whatsoever. For multiplayer games, it's the complete opposite. Multiplayer games are COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on when you play them. People who missed out on Ultima Online for example, are missing out on a huge part of MMO history and will never experience a different idea of what an MMO could and should be. This not only applies to MMOs of course, but most multiplayer games out there. There are very few multiplayer games that stay the same - and the ones that do are often very different from how they started out. Just look at Counter-Strike :)

Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

Your friend is 100% wrong! In fact, he's the one who missed out. Singleplayer games can played whenever. The time of when you play them is hardly important whatsoever. For multiplayer games, it's the complete opposite. Multiplayer games are COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on when you play them. People who missed out on Ultima Online for example, are missing out on a huge part of MMO history and will never experience a different idea of what an MMO could and should be. This not only applies to MMOs of course, but most multiplayer games out there. There are very few multiplayer games that stay the same - and the ones that do are often very different from how they started out. Just look at Counter-Strike :)

KHAndAnime

You cheered me up :D

I was playing mu online in my school years, and i neglected every other game, one day i "woke" up and realized all the games that i missed.

Mu online was a very epic game at its time. In fact it was one of the main "wheels" who revolutionized the MMOs.

Being inspired by the well known diablo II, Webzen chose to develop a similar game, but which could be played across internet.

Time passed , the game developed and other game companies like lineage, wow, silkroad and so on found inspiration proposed by MU. I think we owe much more to this game that we belive...

Now the game changed way too much and it will never be so awesome like it was back then and im happy i was part of it, so to sum it all up, i think you win some you lose sum because you cant play them all.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CaptainAhab13

KHAndAnime
Aye, I'm looking into many single-player games that I have missed out on over the years that are exclusively "before" this current gen, so to speak, so I can figure out wtf everyone is raving about in some of these threads. ;)
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Aye, I'm looking into many single-player games that I have missed out on over the years that are exclusively "before" this current gen, so to speak, so I can figure out wtf everyone is raving about in some of these threads. ;) CaptainAhab13

Yeah, being the only person who hasn't played Deus Ex on a pc forum feels like being the slowest kid in the class. :(

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CaptainAhab13

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Aye, I'm looking into many single-player games that I have missed out on over the years that are exclusively "before" this current gen, so to speak, so I can figure out wtf everyone is raving about in some of these threads. ;) metroidfood

Yeah, being the only person who hasn't played Deus Ex on a pc forum feels like being the slowest kid in the class. :(

I see your Deus Ex and raise you, the Half-Life series! :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Aye, I'm looking into many single-player games that I have missed out on over the years that are exclusively "before" this current gen, so to speak, so I can figure out wtf everyone is raving about in some of these threads. ;) CaptainAhab13

I see your Deus Ex and raise you, the Half-Life series! :P

I played both. I raise you, Planescape Torment.
Johacamigames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Johacamigames
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

Yeah it feels like I missed out on a lot, I wish I started back in the mid 90's, but I'm happy with my current powerful PC at the perfect timing for games that require it