SOE aggressively banning Planetside 2 hackers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley said the studio is "aggressively" seeking out and banning those found using hacks in the new free-to-play game

"We are aggressively banning people. As they develop hacks, we will break the hacks. We have time and great people. Trust that this is a top priority. Hackers will not win."

It's so good to hear a dev say they are really going after hackers in their game, so many shooters these days have a bunch of hackers that linger too long or don't get dealt with fast enough.

#2 Posted by ShimmerMan (4594 posts) -

Doubt they can do anything, Sony will "break" a hack and then a new hack will be released a week later. The best preventative measure against hackers are subscriptions as eventually the hackers run out of credit and debit cards to use after multiple bannings.

#3 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I'm very glad to hear that. With so many players at once, the ramifications of hacking spread further.

It's bad in BF3 when one jerk kills everyone on the map and flies around, in PS2 it would be devastating with all those players.

#4 Posted by Wasdie (53133 posts) -

Doubt they can do anything, Sony will "break" a hack and then a new hack will be released a week later. The best preventative measure against hackers are subscriptions as eventually the hackers run out of credit and debit cards to use after multiple bannings.

ShimmerMan

There will always be persistant hackers. But hackers hack for fun, they don't actually use the hacks themselves. It's more about getitng the idiots that use them. If you make it very annoying for people to keep using hacks, people will eventually stop.

The actual hackers are very smart people. They do it for the challenge of hacking a game, not for doing it themselves.

#5 Posted by pelvist (6343 posts) -

Iv never come across any hacking in PS2 before, at least not that i know of.

#6 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShimmerMan"]

Wasdie

There will always be persistant hackers. But hackers hack for fun, they don't actually use the hacks themselves. It's more about getitng the idiots that use them. If you make it very annoying for people to keep using hacks, people will eventually stop.

The actual hackers are very smart people. They do it for the challenge of hacking a game, not for doing it themselves.

I don't see how that makes them any less of an a**hole. They're still responsible for ruining the game for many people. But hey, as long as they have their 'fun' completing the challenge of ruining a game who cares, right?
#7 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="ShimmerMan"]

kieran88

I don't see how that makes them any less of an a**hole. They're still responsible for ruining the game for many people. But hey, as long as they have their 'fun' completing the challenge of ruining a game who cares, right?

Same as the people who make Viruses, they do because they can and they want to use their talents. Doing conventional stuff gets boring after a while. I don't really blame the people who create them,I blame the people who sue them.Sure they enable them to do it but still, I don't blame the people who make guns, I blame the people who kill others with them.

#8 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -

[QUOTE="kieran88"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

seanmcloughlin

Same as the people who make Viruses, they do because they can and they want to use their talents. Doing conventional stuff gets boring after a while. I don't really blame the people who create them,I blame the people who sue them.Sure they enable them to do it but still, I don't blame the people who make guns, I blame the people who kill others with them.

Not really a fitting analogy with guns as they have more uses than to ruin everything (defense for example) as opposed to mp game hacks, their only purpose being to ruin the game for everyone not using the hack. Also if hacking games is the only non-conventional use they can find for their talents I feel sorry for them if anything.

EDIT - Anyway getting off topic a little. Back OT. It's nice to see a game developer make statements like this but ultimately there's probably not a lot they can do about it.

#9 Posted by Gammit10 (2393 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="ShimmerMan"]

kieran88

I don't think that was the point he was addressing. Somebody said "doubt they can do anything... and then a new hack will be released a week later." The point is that those who use the hacks in-game usually do so for fun. If SOE limits their fun by continually banning them, eventually they'll get bored and stop using the hacks. Sure new hacks will come, but they will be addressed. While you can never stop the cat and mouse game, you can address it and fight it. As for your argument: yes, they are all a**holes.
#10 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19031 posts) -

Seems kinda pointless banning hackers on a free to play game. Can't they just make another account?

#11 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
"Hackers will not win" coming from Sony.... I can taste the irony, it's very much like Cod, it's better when it's fresh.
#12 Posted by gunmaster55555 (712 posts) -

Seems kinda pointless banning hackers on a free to play game. Can't they just make another account?

JangoWuzHere
Sure but then they will have to keep starting over, lose any new gear and eventually get sick of always starting over. Also have to make new accounts with new emails. Unless they are IP banning which I doubt.
#13 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24568 posts) -
as opposed to banning them passive agressively?
#14 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19031 posts) -
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

gunmaster55555
Sure but then they will have to keep starting over, lose any new gear and eventually get sick of always starting over. Also have to make new accounts with new emails. Unless they are IP banning which I doubt.

They don't really need gear if they have hacks.
#15 Posted by ShimmerMan (4594 posts) -

[QUOTE="gunmaster55555"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

They don't really need gear if they have hacks.

lol.

#16 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Is that why they think no one is playing their game? That's sad. I think they should be actively banning their game designers/developers first.
#17 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

Is that why they think no one is playing their game? That's sad. I think they should be actively banning their game designers/developers first.SKaREO

We reading the same article?

#18 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

as opposed to banning them passive agressively?JigglyWiggly_

That would save them sending all those e-mails I guess.

#19 Posted by FelipeInside (28321 posts) -

UNBELIEVABLE that there are people on this forum complaining about this... or saying it's useless.

What would you prefer, just to leave the hackers to roam around?

#20 Posted by Mrcod11 (3059 posts) -

What a delightful forum this is.

#21 Posted by illmatic87 (17803 posts) -
Lets just hope they dont accidentally ban legitimate players. Every aggressive banning attempt usually has this happening.
#22 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
I wish that all companies would do this. It seems like every PC game that I play online is dominated by hackers/cheaters...
#23 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24568 posts) -

I wish that all companies would do this. It seems like every PC game that I play online is dominated by hackers/cheaters...superclocked
I haven't seen a cheater in an online fps in a long time now

#24 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="kieran88"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

seanmcloughlin

Wait, how the hell does that make any sense? You don't blame the people who create them but rather the people who sue them? The f*ck?

#25 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"]I wish that all companies would do this. It seems like every PC game that I play online is dominated by hackers/cheaters...JigglyWiggly_

I haven't played any shooters online for a few months, but Starcraft 2 still has lots of them, and Blizzard doesn't do a thing about it...
#26 Posted by FelipeInside (28321 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"]I wish that all companies would do this. It seems like every PC game that I play online is dominated by hackers/cheaters...JigglyWiggly_

Guess you don't play MW3 or Black Ops 2....
#27 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I "may" have ran into an aimbot or two in Black Ops 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if people were that good at aiming since apparently people do try to become masters of it on PC (with the most annoying people constantly drop shotting and bunny hopping). I haven't played much either, the last time I definitively ran into a hacker was in Battlefield 3, where I've ran into several.

Aside from aimbots (some of which are obvious), there was one hack I saw several dudes try where they just instantly kill anyone they want, or take them out instantly from across the map with the repair tool. It was pretty frustrating, but I haven't ran into one in a while.

Hopefully, I don't ever see one in PS2.