So why is it hard to develop games for Linux?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Explain in detail. I was listening to TB talk about Steam and Linux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REC4xwpX26g&feature=player_detailpage#t=750s
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

DirectX.

It has support unlike OpenGL. Support is more than just a little wiki page. I'm talking Microsoft sending their coders to game developers to work hand in and with them. Every major game engine is built on DirectX because the level of support that the companies get. The only one I can think of that is not DX is ID's engines. Those are OpenGL and there is a reason why there were hundreds of issues with RAGE when it launched.

DirectX also gets updates much more quickly and sets the bar.

Since Linux cannot run DirectX, developing a game for Linux is more difficult. The market size for Linux exclusive games is tiny so there is very little insensitive to work in OpenGL when you can get much more tech in DirectX.

Most games today are built with licensed tech, not proprietary. Gamer's demands for graphics, AI, physics, usability, sound, and overall production quality prevents the little guys from making their own tech and building a game.

This licensed tech is going to use DirectX because game engines and tech is very difficult and expensive to make. Having the level of support you can get from Microsoft while working in DirectX is invaluable to keep the process moving forward. In the end you spend less time working on the tech and save money.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

DirectX is far more the supported platform than OpenGL and linux has terrible driver support.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

DirectX is far more the supported platform than OpenGL and linux has terrible driver support.

wis3boi
thats not true lunix has great driver for support for everything that isn't graphics cards also valve wants to push their platform everywhere on every OS for total market dominance. I doubt it has very littel to do with win8
Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts
Linux desktop operating systems have terrible audio and driver support is terrible. There are many distros and they don't work with each other because of the lack of standards. I don't think linux will ever be good for gaming.
jaay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jaay55
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts

I had to choose between learning DirectX or OpenGL api for C++, Did i make the right choice in choosing DirectX? I found that a bunch of open source projects are all in OpenGL and I can barely find any for DirectX. I am guessing DirectX is more concentrated on for commercial products?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
investment X return.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

I had to choose between learning DirectX or OpenGL api for C++, Did i make the right choice in choosing DirectX? I found that a bunch of open source projects are all in OpenGL and I can barely find any for DirectX. I am guessing DirectX is more concentrated on for commercial products?

jaay55

You can switch between the two easily. They are very similar in most regards. You'll run into different syntax, but the fundamentals are the same.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It's not, it's just that the industry standard is DirectX and games have to be coded for OpenGL (except for those which initially support it, like all id Software games).

DirectX.

It has support unlike OpenGL. Support is more than just a little wiki page. I'm talking Microsoft sending their coders to game developers to work hand in and with them. Every major game engine is built on DirectX because the level of support that the companies get. The only one I can think of that is not DX is ID's engines. Those are OpenGL and there is a reason why there were hundreds of issues with RAGE when it launched.

Wasdie

OpenGL had nothing to do with Rage's technical issues.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Its not really its just a matter of marketshare, there is no point to develop for linux, as to small percentage of users are on that platform. The killer of linux is the lack of support of many apps windows users use

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wasdie  Moderator

It's not, it's just that the industry standard is DirectX and games have to be coded for OpenGL (except for those which initially support it, like all id Software games).

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

DirectX.

nameless12345

Yeah it is, indirectly. Nvidia and AMD don't give one flying crap about OpenGL drivers. They are that far behind.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

DirectX.

Wasdie

Yeah it is, indirectly. Nvidia and AMD don't give one flying crap about OpenGL drivers. They are that far behind.

nothing wrong with nvidia's opengl drivers
Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Temporius
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts
Linux development is VERY different from windows development. Linux development will have the game crash constantly while in testing, but you can rather easily get the game to run with quantum physics simulations, 4k resolution, and neural network AI on an old i286 box. Windows development will have the game do exactly what the developers wanted during testing, but at 3 FPS in 320x240 on high end system. Everyone is used to the second, and so they have trouble with the first (and yes, comic exaggeration is present).
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

It's harder because OpenGL isn't as developer friendly (in terms of support and updates and such). This is because the desktop Linux user base is too small. Now, if we were to see it grow then the tools for developing games would improve making it easier. Video card driver support would also improve.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JigglyWiggly_

It's harder because OpenGL isn't as developer friendly (in terms of support and updates and such). This is because the desktop Linux user base is too small. Now, if we were to see it grow then the tools for developing games would improve making it easier. Video card driver support would also improve.

Tezcatlipoca666
quake live is opengl gud enuf 4 me