So what do MMO gamers want?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

Every big MMO that has come out as easily had some interesting features that set it apart. RIFT was practically WoW and had alto more than WoW did on release, SWTOR has come out sporting a very nice PvE system yet is getting critically slaughtered by "MMORPG FANS".... the lasty mighty saviour Guild Wars 2 is being INCREDIBLY overhyped considering its gameplay is nearly identical with a few twists, and using systems allready in games (RIFT) ...

A spiral of wanting another WoW but not wanting it at the same time. Im guilty of this aswell, Ive played TOR, I like it .... but im asking myself "where are achiavements, dungeon finders ect" ... because they are standards.

This genre has alot of potential, but everyone wants another WoW and will refuse to look outside the box, it must be super easy to play, but have alot of carrots on sticks.

The sandbox MMO is too harsh for most and has gone the same way as ARENA SHOOTERS , as WoW is like the CoD of MMOs...

Every single MMO board you go on in all the games is complete and utter whining, complaints ect, especially the infamous mmorpg.com.

Gaming obviously isnt big enough for more than 1 dominant game in each genre. too much is expected from every game to be like that titan..... and when they are better than it considering they are release products, they are shunned for thier duration.

So I ask you MMORPG gameres that are constantly dissapointed.. WHAT DO YOU WANT? I dont think you know yourselves.

Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts

Different players want different things.

However from WoW's success it can be reasoned that the very polished "theme park" experience of WoW is probably the thing that appeals to the largest segment of gamers.

Personally I really liked WoW, but I think the end game leaves a lot to be desired. It's mostly running through the same instances over and over again and grinding out daily quests.

A game that had the great levelling experience of WoW, but a more interesting end game is something that I think could be a really huge success.

I think that both the theme park and the sandbox MMO's have their strengths and issues. I've actually written a post about that over on MMOCrunch that you may want to check out:

The merits of Sandbox versus Theme Park MMO's

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Sandbox and skill based as opposed to class based leveling system similar to SWG.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Guild Wars 2 is not the same. WoW and TOR are bothbased on targeting systems. You have to select a target, and then use hotkey'ed abilities to kill them. What players are looking for is system that doesn't require targeting. Things like I swing my sword and whatever enemies in range get hit. Or I shoot my bow/gun and whatever happens to be in the way gets hit. This is more realistic than a targeting system. You have to worry about positioning as well as aiming compared to WoW and TOR. This adds a lot more skill to the game. For instance, with a bow you have to learn how to hit moving targets, or with melee you have to learn how to hit the most targets with your abilities at once.

Now, when WoW came out real time combat like this without targeting was not really possible. The servers and network just couldn't handle the extra communication necessary for it. Only recently has this become possible, and now players are expecting it in new MMOs. WoW will never do this. Only future MMOs can. The fact that non-targeting combat systems are viable these days but TOR doesn't use it is disappointing to many.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

Guild Wars 2 is not the same. WoW and TOR are bothbased on targeting systems. You have to select a target, and then use hotkey'ed abilities to kill them. What players are looking for is system that doesn't require targeting. Things like I swing my sword and whatever enemies in range get hit. Or I shoot my bow/gun and whatever happens to be in the way gets hit. This is more realistic than a targeting system. You have to worry about positioning as well as aiming compared to WoW and TOR. This adds a lot more skill to the game. For instance, with a bow you have to learn how to hit moving targets, or with melee you have to learn how to hit the most targets with your abilities at once.

Now, when WoW came out real time combat like this without targeting was not really possible. The servers and network just couldn't handle the extra communication necessary for it. Only recently has this become possible, and now players are expecting it in new MMOs. WoW will never do this. Only future MMOs can. The fact that non-targeting combat systems are viable these days but TOR doesn't use it is disappointing to many.

James00715
Ohj sounds fantastic, didnt darkfall do it though? yea... You know what the problem is with "skill shots" over targeting? no it isnt "true skill" its "whoever hast he easiest skill shots is dominant" ... which is rampent in the MOBA genre aswell... Aiming hasnt been left out due to technology, its left out because its not a typicaly style for an RPG, one that relies on numbers over hack n slash/shooting,
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
More WoW, but not more of what they're doing now, I don't care about raiding and that's pretty much most of their focus except PvP, I want random crazy, fun stuff that isn't related to competitions, skill w/e, (if WoW would be GTA IV, I'd like it to contain more Saints Row 3).
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
I want more action like Vindictus, Tera, and DC Universe Online. All three of those are missing a persistent world and Guild Wars 2 will give me that.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

What I want for a

Sandbox MMO

Well, just a good new one at this point. Just dont dumb it down.

Themepark MMO

No Achievements, no Dungeon Finder, no Trinity, greatly revamped threat mechanics (GW1's were great), a neutral FFA faction, several stuff that will be present in GW2 ie dynamic combat, dynamic events, ect. I also want a lot more customizability. Height sliders would be nice.

Edit: More Environment and player interactivity would be nice as well.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Ohj sounds fantastic, didnt darkfall do it though? yea... You know what the problem is with "skill shots" over targeting? no it isnt "true skill" its "whoever hast he easiest skill shots is dominant" ... which is rampent in the MOBA genre aswell... Aiming hasnt been left out due to technology, its left out because its not a typicaly style for an RPG, one that relies on numbers over hack n slash/shooting,PC360Wii

All of the Elder Scrolls games play like this, and they are RPGs. Also Mass Effect series is popular. There's a lot players looking for this style in an MMORPG.

MOBA games only have balancing problems because they make too many heroes. If they restrict it to 20 heroes or so,it would be fine. Instead, they make 50 or even 100 heroes. Of course that can't be balanced, but you can simply switch heroes if yours isn't that good. If it were an MMO, switching would involvemonths of leveling and gearing for the new character.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I want more action like Vindictus, Tera, DC Universe Online, and Guild Wars 2.Jebus213
Vindictus is really pathetic tho, it pretty much has nothing to offer except for the combat (that makes you an unstoppable beast, which personally I do not like), lvl 24 and I'm not looking back.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
I know you said it already OP, but really I would love if there was a pre-sunwell WoW server. Burning Crusade was awesomely awesome and easily the peak of WoW. But then came the endless welfare epics... You all know how the story ends.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

There's space for SWTOR and GW2. Why does one have to suck or one be the the 'best, nothing can touch it I will never play another mmo again apart from this'. GW2 is fantasy and I'm sick of that. SWTOR is sci-fi and it's based on my favourite movies so i'm going to love SWTOR.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Ohj sounds fantastic, didnt darkfall do it though? yea... You know what the problem is with "skill shots" over targeting? no it isnt "true skill" its "whoever hast he easiest skill shots is dominant" ... which is rampent in the MOBA genre aswell... Aiming hasnt been left out due to technology, its left out because its not a typicaly style for an RPG, one that relies on numbers over hack n slash/shooting,PC360Wii

Huh the MOBA genre? Most classes with skillshots are normally supported by those with dedicated stuns (unless they have one themselves like windrunner). Skillshots in MOBA are difficulty to land against decent players.

tippedcow21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tippedcow21
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

I want SWG Pre-CU.

I want SWG with the 32 professions and the abilty to mix and match. Being a Master Doctor/ Master TK was so fun.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Personally, I want Guild Wars 2.
l3cifer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 l3cifer32
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
^ you took the words out my mouth. I want guild wars 2 T_T can't it come sooner?
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

I want to see more MMO's where you are more involved in the combat. Something like Mount and Blade on a grand scale. Planetside 2. Not games where you just click on your enemy and then click powers.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Lineage 2 before The Chaotic Throne. That's what I want.

Chronicle 5-Interlude Lineage 2 was pretty much the best MMO experience I could ever get. And I wasn't even playing on retail!

Outside from sure-failure private servers though, I can't get that experience again, and L2 is a dead game, even retail is going f2p item store now.

But, as a sandbox MMO player, I can't overlook what WoW has done to this genre. When people prioritised PvE over PvP in L2, we called them cowards and CAREBEARS. In WoW, THE WHOLE GAME IS MADE LIKE THAT! It has become the standard. I wish for an MMO, a truly massive, high budget, not a niche one, where I will again have to defend my xping spot from other players, where I again will have to fight other guilds for the epic bosses instead of going through stupid instanced dungeons, and where NOONE WILL BE PROTECTED DURING PVE, except from lowbies. Instances and BGs is what destroyed and CASUALISED, EASIFIED this genre, taking out all the fun and metagame and community interaction. And WoW standardised those, it brought the casuals in.

The last hope for MMOs is Archeage, really. Not quite as true a sandbox MMO as I would like it to be, but better than the carebear parks nonetheless. Plus, it uses CE3 so it will be easy on the eyes (and propably hard on the GPU, especially during sieges and mass pvp).

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

the hardcore outspoken MMO fans want spreadsheets, complex systems, and an endgame more brutal than triple overtime at your job. If the game so much as includes an action bar and two factions, its a wow ripoff

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

We want Guild Wars 2. No, it does not use the same system as RIFT. No, it is not overhyped.

londonsesquire
I still think it is. It's receiving the same hype as Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, and look how those turned out. Saying that... I can't wait for GW2 cause I will be playing Day 1, although I love the ToR Beta too. As for the post... more weather effects on MMOs, or maybe I just haven't played enough of them...?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
[QUOTE="londonsesquire"]

We want Guild Wars 2. No, it does not use the same system as RIFT. No, it is not overhyped.

FelipeInside
I still think it is. It's receiving the same hype as Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, and look how those turned out. Saying that... I can't wait for GW2 cause I will be playing Day 1, although I love the ToR Beta too. As for the post... more weather effects on MMOs, or maybe I just haven't played enough of them...?

LotrO has plenty of weather, but the way TOR is made, I can see why it's in permanent weather conditions
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="londonsesquire"]

wis3boi

LotrO has plenty of weather, but the way TOR is made, I can see why it's in permanent weather conditions

Not just weather.... but RANDOM weather. For example in most MMOs the weather changes according to the zone u are in. This is fine but I wouldn't mind some zones having dynamic weather (for example towns). Also, different levels of weather. For example rain can be light, hard, or even nearly a cyclone where you can barely see where you are going...
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I still think it is. It's receiving the same hype as Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, and look how those turned out. Saying that... I can't wait for GW2 cause I will be playing Day 1, although I love the ToR Beta too. As for the post... more weather effects on MMOs, or maybe I just haven't played enough of them...?

Not just weather.... but RANDOM weather. For example in most MMOs the weather changes according to the zone u are in. This is fine but I wouldn't mind some zones having dynamic weather (for example towns). Also, different levels of weather. For example rain can be light, hard, or even nearly a cyclone where you can barely see where you are going...

yep lotro is like that, random and with varying types
trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

[QUOTE="londonsesquire"]

FelipeInside

I agree with this, Guild Wars 2 is overhyped to the max. Do I think it will be good? Eh, I hope so, I intend to purchase it *maybe* day 1, but I will see how I feel as it gets closer. I almost wonder if almost all of Guild Wars hype comes from being F2P? Is that it? Personally I thought GW1 was mediocre and it certainly did not bring anything remotely interesting to the MMO scene besides the F2P model? (Bit of a stretch to call GW a MMO, I do not believe it should be classified as so)

Anyways, I have kept up with GW2 way more than the average person and nothing I have seen makes me desperately want it. I agree, I think and hope it will be fun, but I am just getting tired of the "Everything sucks but GW2! I saw these videos of it and it looks so cool!" / "Every other mmo is a WoW clone! GW2 is the best because it is completely 100% different than every other MMO evar!"...which is purely blind hype.

johnthebom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 johnthebom
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm playing Mytholia, great strategic ancient MMO, with godpowers, clanwars, mercenaires, ... fun to play and free to play, no advantages when you pay extra
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
I'm playing Mytholia, great strategic ancient MMO, with godpowers, clanwars, mercenaires, ... fun to play and free to play, no advantages when you pay extrajohnthebom
I dont agree. There is difference IMO between a F2P mmo and a sub one...
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#28 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

londonsesquire
I agree. I believe this same guy spouted this biased opinion in another thread, it is baseless. In fact GW2 has already come out with ways it plans on changing things up, research it yourself. The pvp system alone is going to be worth it. Oh and...........buy to play? Hello? In the end it sounds like the op is a SWTOR fan and is baffled that people would actually think it is just another MMO......just go play your game and enjoy it. WHo cares if others don't?
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#29 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

londonsesquire
I agree. I believe this same guy spouted this biased opinion in another thread, it is baseless. In fact GW2 has already come out with ways it plans on changing things up, research it yourself. The pvp system alone is going to be worth it. Oh and...........buy to play? Hello? In the end it sounds like the op is a SWTOR fan and is baffled that people would actually think it is just another MMO......just go play your game and enjoy it. WHo cares if others don't?
[QUOTE="londonsesquire"]

FelipeInside

Those were two good mmos that ended up mismanaged, had nothing to do with the games. Still two of my favorite MMO's ever, the respective companies that put them out made critical errors at critical times and screwed any chance of those games succeeding. I don't think hype has anything to do with whether a game will succeed or not, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Anyone who really wants to try something different in the MMORPG genre really should take a good look at Darkfall Online. I am a longtime player, and it is the most intensely skill-based and competitive games I have ever played. The game demands great accuracy and reflexes. Look at this video as an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09q1YUDwSDE

Sadly, I do not see another game in development that could really surpass Darkfall in the mmofps genre, so I am probably going to keep playing Darkfall for a long time.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

Well, I'm going to be a little different and say I want a real space MMO :)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

Well, I'm going to be a little different and say I want a real space MMO :)

creaturemagic
Eve?
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Like others have said, we want Guild Wars 2. :D

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

I want an MMO with a story like FFXI. I loved how the story was played in that game but the only down side was that you need groups to get a lot of it done. And it sometimes wasn't even a 6 person party but an alliance was needed to get some of these missions done. No other MMO I have played seems to have the kind of story FFXI does. Another thing I really liked about FFXI is how the text box was set up. Being in the bottom center of the screen and being the size it is made it easy to always see what was being said and not take up too much space. The music in FFXI was also amazing and seemed to make all those cutscenes come alive. So basically what I want is a FFXI but with some of the single player availability that WOW has, but still try to keep a little focus on group work.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

I want an MMO with a story like FFXI. I loved how the story was played in that game but the only down side was that you need groups to get a lot of it done. And it sometimes wasn't even a 6 person party but an alliance was needed to get some of these missions done. No other MMO I have played seems to have the kind of story FFXI does. Another thing I really liked about FFXI is how the text box was set up. Being in the bottom center of the screen and being the size it is made it easy to always see what was being said and not take up too much space. The music in FFXI was also amazing and seemed to make all those cutscenes come alive. So basically what I want is a FFXI but with some of the single player availability that WOW has, but still try to keep a little focus on group work.

toddx77
LOTRO does a good job of telling the story. ToR looks like it will concentrate on story too.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I want an open system like what Galaxies originally set out to do before the big switch happen. Very little hand holding, player driven communities, player driven economy, a complex crafting system and just the idea that you can play however you want.
CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CoS_Ethan
Member since 2011 • 381 Posts

Different players want different things.

However from WoW's success it can be reasoned that the very polished "theme park" experience of WoW is probably the thing that appeals to the largest segment of gamers.

Personally I really liked WoW, but I think the end game leaves a lot to be desired. It's mostly running through the same instances over and over again and grinding out daily quests.

A game that had the great levelling experience of WoW, but a more interesting end game is something that I think could be a really huge success.

I think that both the theme park and the sandbox MMO's have their strengths and issues. I've actually written a post about that over on MMOCrunch that you may want to check out:

The merits of Sandbox versus Theme Park MMO's

Technomancer82

Interesting, we all want great leveling and interesting end game, WoW is old enough for us to expect a new title.Before Titan makes its appearance, I will always look forward to such a game.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

[QUOTE="toddx77"]

FelipeInside

LOTRO does a good job of telling the story. ToR looks like it will concentrate on story too.

Ya I am have been impressed at how what the old republic was doing with its story although I didnt get too far.

I forgot to mention player driven community too and to be that really makes or breaks a game. I remember in FFXI my linkshell was super close with each other and were always talking about non gaming related stuff. Considering that FFXI required you to be in a group for almost everything until recently, there would be times people would just be waiting for a party, out in the fields farming, crafting, or just exploring areas and we would have great conversations. Also people on the server also got to know each other. Everyone was so nice and even in other groups like an exp party or mission groups you always met interesting people to talk to and you were always surround by other players almost no matter where you went. No other MMO I have played has done that not even FFXIV but thats kind of a given lol.

Sleepy_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sleepy_Warrior
Member since 2004 • 683 Posts

Sandbox and skill based as opposed to class based leveling system similar to SWG.shakmaster13

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

the hardcore outspoken MMO fans want spreadsheets, complex systems, and an endgame more brutal than triple overtime at your job. If the game so much as includes an action bar and two factions, its a wow ripoff

wis3boi
Sad but true.
BloodJunkie213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BloodJunkie213
Member since 2010 • 224 Posts

Man,I personally dont get the GW2 hype..I would rather poke my eyes out with a spoon,than play another sword/board fantasy MMO. When Is Fanatsy based MMOs gona go the route of WW2 FPS?

I'll Be in Star Wars The Old Rebublic. Its just full of win for me,prolly becuase I expected a MMO..and wasn't disapointed. WoW brought a lot of people to this genre,and now with every launch everyone expects something totally differant. ITS A MMO, MMOs play like MMOs.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wis3boi

Man,I personally dont get the GW2 hype..I would rather poke my eyes out with a spoon,than play another sword/board fantasy MMO. When Is Fanatsy based MMOs gona go the route of WW2 FPS?

I'll Be in Star Wars The Old Rebublic. Its just full of win for me,prolly becuase I expected a MMO..and wasn't disapointed. WoW brought a lot of people to this genre,and now with every launch everyone expects something totally differant. ITS A MMO, MMOs play like MMOs.

BloodJunkie213
indeed. I think I'd enjoy GW2, but i just cant stand the sight of another fantasy and magic/swords MMO. I needed a meaty sci-f world.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

BloodJunkie213

Fantasy setting is fine. Assuming it does something to not stay in the mold. Just make a fantasy setting and avoid most cliches and it should be fine. GW2 does a good job avoiding several of the cliches.