So is using a keyboard and mouse in shooters is really better or...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nurnberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nurnberg
Member since 2005 • 1313 Posts

So is using a keyboard and mouse in shooters is really better or is it just a form elitist bragging from fanboys? I mean, I don't want to insult anyone; I just want the truth about the subject. People claim that using a keyboard and mouse is 10 times better than a controller, that players using controllers are at a huge disavantage, etc... Is this really true?

I ask this because sometimes everyone claim something, but they are still wrong. For exemple, everyone claim that players who use mics and headsets are much superior because of their supposed super-coordination, but anybody with some gaming experience knows that this is totally false. It doesn't change anything. There are good players without mics and bad players with mics. In fact, the best players I have seen didn't use mics most of the time. It really changes nothing. I mean, in theory, having a mic helps a lot, but in practice it doesn't do anything. Good players know how to play without anybody telling them. When I hear people using this argument, I have the impression that they are newbs at online games.

So this is just something that everyone says but they are wrong. I wonder if it is the same thing with the whole keayboard/mouse vs controller argument. What do you think?

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
It is really better. I'm not going to be a dick like some people, but the precision and acceleration gained using a mouse is not able to be matched using an analog stick. This article is but one example of what happens when top console gamers go up against PC gamers in FPS. It is even worse in RTS games and RPGs with a lot of skills. You can't map enough keys to the controller to be competative. Hence why PC gamers get super-pissed when console games get ported without the proper control schemes. So no, its not a myth. KB/M is leaps and bounds better than using a controller in MOST cases. I will grant that adventure, fighting, and platform games tend to work better with a controller. I have a wired 360 controller hooked up to my PC for those occasions.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

obviously its all down to the end user how well they use their tools, but its impossible to deny the mouse is just so much more precise than an analog stick.

FPS on the consoles have auto-aim even in multiplayer, the developers know how poor a control system it is.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

indeed the only fair playing field console games have is the fighting games but thats mainly because they originated on that platform.

every other genere m+kb is the dominante predator. there was a video somewhere i cant find it basically it was an MLG recorded event for rainbow 6 vegas 2 and the thing went to a pc gamer. the best console player claimed somewhere near 25th XD

auto-aim is a b!tch and with it off console gamers are s useless as a:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzqCew-fjsM&feature=related

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

It's very simple really.

Download a controller-to-keyboard mapper (like xpadder) and go play an FPS online.

See how well that turns out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

for movement, I would argue it does not really matter. In some regards, a keyboard is better; in others, a controller is better.

as for aiming, however, I can't help but think a mouse is far better. You can essentially put your crosshairs on target at damn-near the speed of thought; the mind tells the wrist to flick around andwith the sensitivity of mice these day it is damnquick. With a controller's joystick, you have to wait for it to pan over, then (if there is no autoaim) fine tune it on the target to get head or body shots.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

I dare you to play, tribes, Unreal tournament, and Quake with a controller then back with with KB+M then you'll see why.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

So is using a keyboard and mouse in shooters is really better or is it just a form elitist bragging from fanboys? I mean, I don't want to insult anyone; I just want the truth about the subject. People claim that using a keyboard and mouse is 10 times better than a controller, that players using controllers are at a huge disavantage, etc... Is this really true?

I ask this because sometimes everyone claim something, but they are still wrong. For exemple, everyone claim that players who use mics and headsets are much superior because of their supposed super-coordination, but anybody with some gaming experience knows that this is totally false. It doesn't change anything. There are good players without mics and bad players with mics. In fact, the best players I have seen didn't use mics most of the time. It really changes nothing. I mean, in theory, having a mic helps a lot, but in practice it doesn't do anything. Good players know how to play without anybody telling them. When I hear people using this argument, I have the impression that they are newbs at online games.

So this is just something that everyone says but they are wrong. I wonder if it is the same thing with the whole keayboard/mouse vs controller argument. What do you think?

nurnberg

Yes, it's really much better. Some things aren't really possible to do with controllers like rocket jumping. Also good luck using a gun like the lightning gun with a controller.

And mics are very important for a team oriented game like TF2. It's obviously not important for stuff like Quake though.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
it has the potential to be much more useful in the hands of someone who is skilled than with a controller.
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

After playing on console up until 5 months ago I can honestly say yes. M/KB far is superior to a controller. The 1st game I downloaded was CSS and thought, "Hay I'm going to beast like in COD and Battlefield on xbox." :lol:. Tried with the M/KB 1st got destroyed with only a few kills, plugged the controller in and couldn't even aim straight or turn around fast enough. The accuracy and speed of a mouse is greater than a controller period.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

obviously its all down to the end user how well they use their tools, but its impossible to deny the mouse is just so much more precise than an analog stick.

FPS on the consoles have auto-aim even in multiplayer, the developers know how poor a control system it is.

bonafidetk

That's all you really need to say.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Here tc, I uploaded this just for you. Try doing this on a controller lulz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dYIAM0gPU8
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Its like asking is it better to run with your feet or upside down using your hands. :D
Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lamb_Jalfrezi
Member since 2002 • 178 Posts

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]

Johnny_Rock

The interesting question then, is how would you design a controller that doesn't require a desk, but has the accuracy and speed of a kb/m combo?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]

Lamb_Jalfrezi

The interesting question then, is how would you design a controller that doesn't require a desk, but has the accuracy and speed of a kb/m combo?

Kinect
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

nurnberg

For the very fast-paced shooters like Quake/UT, it's a must especially when the levels are designed (aka roomy/spacious) to allow tactics such as circle-strafing (one of my favorite tactics). Using a controller is like taking a knife to a gunfight.

Nowadays, most shooters seem either to weigh down the player (and call it realism) or otherwise restrict the gaming environment to the point where the main advantage of a mouse/keyboard is the aim which is still valid. I can use my XBox 360 controller with Bioshock but not with the original Crysis where the (AI) KPA have hawkeye aim.

But, that's just me. My online FPS heydays were from Doom-DN3D-Quake 2-UT plus the Battlefield games. It's been a while though.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#18 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

indeed the only fair playing field console games have is the fighting games but thats mainly because they originated on that platform.

every other genere m+kb is the dominante predator.ionusX

I disagree. Racing is another genre in which a controller works better most of the time, although keyboard is manageable (but annoying) in arcade racers.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Aim bot
Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lamb_Jalfrezi
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] Kinect

Lacks the accuracy.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"]

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Trackballs. Strangely enough, I used a trackball (with 3 buttons) when Wolfenstein 3D first came out, and I used to spin that sucker to turn really fast. It was pretty good for FPS games in general. Obviously trackball tech has moved on a lot since then, with higher res, so I'm sure it would be possible to make a controller that uses a trackball for each thumb instead of analog sticks to get faster and much more precise movement.

As for the thing about RTS games...anyone remember the MS Strategic Commander? You could program 72 button presses on that device, and I can tell you it worked very well for playing RTS games. Even used it for playing some single player FPS games (in place of keyboard AND mouse) and it was pretty good - but I wouldn't recommend it for Multiplayer.

So keyboard/mouse isn't necessarily the be-all, end-all solution to gaming peripherals. I do use keyb/mouse for FPS games, but I sometimes use a controller for third person/action titles. :P

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lamb_Jalfrezi

[QUOTE="Lamb_Jalfrezi"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

RobertBowen

Trackballs. Strangely enough, I used a trackball (with 3 buttons) when Wolfenstein 3D first came out, and I used to spin that sucker to turn really fast. It was pretty good for FPS games in general. Obviously trackball tech has moved on a lot since then, with higher res, so I'm sure it would be possible to make a controller that uses a trackball for each thumb instead of analog sticks to get faster and much more precise movement.

As for the thing about RTS games...anyone remember the MS Strategic Commander? You could program 72 button presses on that device, and I can tell you it worked very well for playing RTS games. Even used it for playing some single player FPS games (in place of keyboard AND mouse) and it was pretty good - but I wouldn't recommend it for Multiplayer.

So keyboard/mouse isn't necessarily the be-all, end-all solution to gaming peripherals. I do use keyb/mouse for FPS games, but I sometimes use a controller for third person/action titles. :P

A hand held trackball?
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Eh? Mics increase communication, they are far better then using text in a competitive environment and absolutely necessary in *any* team based competitive game. And yes mice are infinitely better than gamepads and keyboards due to the complex array of inputs allowed; it's not a fair comparison whatsoever.
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Also, keep in mind that "aim assist" never existed before console shooters. There is a good reason they put this feature in games.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="Lamb_Jalfrezi"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] Kinect

Lacks the accuracy.

Not a sarcastic post at all.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24003 Posts

A Keyboard/Mouse combo is definately better than a controller.

But, proficiency has a big part of it as well. Someone completely inexperienced in a mouse may not be as effective as someone who has used a controller in his entire life.

Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

PC gaming master race

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

It is!! I started with consoles when i was young (had no other choice) and as soon as i saw the difference between shooters on console and pc, I never went back to consoles for shooters.

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lamb_Jalfrezi
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Lamb_Jalfrezi"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] Kinect

Lacks the accuracy.

No, I have developed interfaces with the Kinect, and it is a fine piece of hardware, but you cannot get a pointing vector from the forearm with an accuracy equivalent to a mouse. As with a controller, aim assist is required.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11796 Posts

The mouse is way more accurate than the controller, and faster as well.

The keyboard has more routing and options so that the user could configure him/herself.

However I feel the controller is better for movement in FPS compared to standard WASD. So I got one of these at Goodwill for like literally $2, I haven't tried it yet, but I will before long!

****** N52TE NOSTROMO SPEEDPAD W/ RAZER

I think it would be a good meld and still allow me to use the mouse for aiming. Even if it doesn't work lol it was only $2.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
as someone whos played console fps's for the majority of my life and then recently switching over to kbm, MAN its a world of difference. the speed and precision is a little overwhelming at first but its soooo much better than a joypad its ridiculous....
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
Being bad with a control method = bad control method. Am I right? That seems to be the logic with everyone.
Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lamb_Jalfrezi
Being bad with a control method = bad control method. Am I right? That seems to be the logic with everyone. brandontwb
Not really, it is just an acknowledgement that console controllers are inferior interfaces for FPS.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#35 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

The keyboard has more routing and options so that the user could configure him/herself.

However I feel the controller is better for movement in FPS compared to standard WASD. So I got one of these at Goodwill for like literally $2, I haven't tried it yet, but I will before long!

I think it would be a good meld and still allow me to use the mouse for aiming. Even if it doesn't work lol it was only $2.

Lach0121

Wow $2? I didn't even know Goodwill would accept stuff like that.

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

Being bad with a control method = bad control method. Am I right? That seems to be the logic with everyone. brandontwb

I have around a 1.4/1 k/d ratio in BC2 on Xbox 360. I also have about around a 1.5k/d ratio on BC2 on PC. I play both very similarly, rush the flags, paly pretty agressive. PC me would destroy console me head to head.

Reach-The-Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Reach-The-Myth
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

It depends on your preference... In theory, kb/m offers more precision and acceleration etc, but for twitch shooters and racing games, I prefer the loyal 360 controller ^_^
But that mainly comes down to the fact that I only got a decent computer in june, and played PS3 for 4 years, and 360 for 3 (combined - mainly 360 though).

So it comes down to personal preference in my opinion, yet in theory, kb/m is better.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Lamb_Jalfrezi"] Lacks the accuracy.Lamb_Jalfrezi

No, I have developed interfaces with the Kinect, and it is a fine piece of hardware, but you cannot get a pointing vector from the forearm with an accuracy equivalent to a mouse. As with a controller, aim assist is required.

dude i think he was saying that you didnt notice that his post was sarcasm. of course kinect isnt as accurate or fast as a kb/m. we all know this. kinect isnt even close to the precision that is kb/m. the sarcasm was in the fact that he actually listed kinect...
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Mouse >>>> Controller, kb is another thing, I prefer to use a analog stick instead of wasd to move around, so I guess I go with controller > kb, but the mouse outwights it

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
After getting used to the precision of the mouse, a gamepad feels extremely clunky.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11796 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

cain006

Wow $2? I didn't even know Goodwill would accept stuff like that.

I didn't either, until my friend brought it home to me and was like "hey, I saw this it was like $2, didn't know if you could use it, but I got it anyway" I was like $2 really, he said yeah.

Lamb_Jalfrezi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lamb_Jalfrezi
[QUOTE="Lamb_Jalfrezi"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Not a sarcastic post at all.slvrraven9

dude i think he was saying that you didnt notice that his post was sarcasm. of course kinect isnt as accurate or fast as a kb/m. we all know this. kinect isnt even close to the precision that is kb/m. the sarcasm was in the fact that he actually listed kinect...

Sarcasm? Tut. Lowest form of wit.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Mouse is better but keyboard is not. I would take the faults of a keyboard for the advantages of the mouse though.