So I am building a new gaming rig...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -
Here is some info and the list of components of my new rig. Please tell me what you guys think.

ASUS M5A99FX PRO Motherboard

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz

HIS IceQ H787Q2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GPU

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 850W Modular Power Supply

Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System

In addition, I'll be using a IN WIN GRone white case, an ASUS VX238H-W White 23" LED Monitor and Windows 7. I have a free copy of Windows 8, but I just don't care for it that much.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

#2 Posted by gp19 (4252 posts) -
- You don't need 16GB of ram. A monstrous game will use 5 at the most. You'll be fine with 8GBs for gaming. - If it were me, and my busget was tight, I'd rather get a FX6000 series and a HD7950, rather than a FX8000 and a 7870. - Or, if you can afford both the FX8350 AND a HD7950 or 7970, then definetly do that. - 850W Power Supply is way too much. If you plan on buying a second GPU for Crossfire then 750W, but for a single GPU 600-650W is more than enough. Remember that the GPU is the most important component for gaming.
#3 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
$89.99 - SeaSonic M12II 750W $279.99 - GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 3GB OC + 3 free gold games $83.99 - G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2400MHz RAM
#4 Posted by osirisx3 (2113 posts) -

go with the 8320 and over clock it its the same chip just a lower speed.

Drop the water cooling my bros pc was killed by a broken water cooling system

16gbs of ram is to much go with 8

maybe wait for amds new cards should be out soon.

that psu is a bit overkill for a 7850

Avatar image for The_Animator420
#5 Posted by The_Animator420 (262 posts) -
Drop the water cooling my bros pc was killed by a broken water cooling systemosirisx3
People should stop using water cooling just because you know someone that has ruined their computer with one? Thats crazy. Water cooling is a totally viable option for rigs.
#6 Posted by osirisx3 (2113 posts) -

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]Drop the water cooling my bros pc was killed by a broken water cooling systemThe_Animator420
People should stop using water cooling just because you know someone that has ruined their computer with one? Thats crazy. Water cooling is a totally viable option for rigs.

never said it was not viable but they are expensive and risk them leaking all over your computer. It does happen fairly often as well so its not like its a one in a million shot.

#7 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -
Only reason I wanted to get one is because I have some issues of over heating with my current build.
#8 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
Only reason I wanted to get one is because I have some issues of over heating with my current build.Mighty-Lu-Bu
What did you think about my suggestions? These changes would make your rig run games much better... $89.99 - SeaSonic M12II 750W $279.99 - GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 3GB OC + 3 free gold games $83.99 - G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2400MHz RAM
#9 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -
I do like your suggestions however, I wouldn't be able to fully use the full potential of that ram with my current board so I would have to change my board and I do not really want to do that.
#10 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -
ASUS M5A99FX PRO Motherboard AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz HIS IceQ Boost Clock H795QC3G2M Radeon HD 7950 3GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 600W Modular Power Suppl Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme/All-In-One Liquid Cooling System I think this would be the most ideal set up. I have an amazing CPU mixed with an amazing GPU and I have the best RAM option available for my motherboard. Not to mention this set up fits my budget exactly. The only thing I am worried about is the 600W PSU, I am just afraid it won't be enough. However, its only like a $40 upgrade to the 750w which is still within the realm of my budget. What does everyone think?
#11 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
I do like your suggestions however, I wouldn't be able to fully use the full potential of that ram with my current board so I would have to change my board and I do not really want to do that.Mighty-Lu-Bu
Nah, RAM underclocks automatically. The profile on the RAM will just drop the timings when it's running at a lower speed. It's no big deal, though. The main changes that I would make are the PSU and GPU...
#12 Posted by gp19 (4252 posts) -
The only thing I am worried about is the 600W PSU, I am just afraid it won't be enough. However, its only like a $40 upgrade to the 750w which is still within the realm of my budget. What does everyone think?Mighty-Lu-Bu
Well, I ran a wattage test for the Rig in my sig. With my CPU and GPU overclocked I only need around 492W to power everything. Somewhere down the line people started thinking they needed 1000W power supplies for no apparent reason.
#13 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
The only thing I am worried about is the 600W PSU, I am just afraid it won't be enough.Mighty-Lu-Bu
The 750w Enermax that I linked to is better for the same price. I've heard that PC Power and Cooling have gone downhill since they got bought by OCZ...
#14 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]The only thing I am worried about is the 600W PSU, I am just afraid it won't be enough.superclocked
The 750w Enermax that I linked to is better for the same price. I've heard that PC Power and Cooling have gone downhill since they got bought by OCZ...

I am still thinking about the liquid cooling. This isn't my first build however, I have had problems in the past with components getting a little hot. I thought this was a good idea to counter act that, but then again I don't want a leak and my machine to get damaged in any way.

#15 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]The only thing I am worried about is the 600W PSU, I am just afraid it won't be enough.Mighty-Lu-Bu

I am still thinking about the liquid cooling. This isn't my first build however, I have had problems in the past with components getting a little hot. I thought this was a good idea to counter act that, but then again I don't want a leak and my machine to get damaged in any way.

Have you considered building your own liquid cooling loop? It'll work much better, you can ensure that it won't leak because you know that the hose clamps and waterblock screws are tight enough, you'll get much higher quality parts, and it'll last much longer. The only thing is that it's a bit more expensive, but I can help you keep the price down with a few tricks that I've learned. Also, never use a reservoir for a custom liquid cooling loop. They're absolutely pointless, and the acrylic tends to crack and leak...
#16 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]The 750w Enermax that I linked to is better for the same price. I've heard that PC Power and Cooling have gone downhill since they got bought by OCZ...superclocked

Have you considered building your own liquid cooling loop? It'll work much better, you can ensure that it won't leak because you know that the hose clamps and waterblock screws are tight enough, you'll get much higher quality parts, and it'll last much longer. The only thing is that it's a bit more expensive, but I can help you keep the price down with a few tricks that I've learned. Also, never use a reservoir for a custom liquid cooling loop. They're absolutely pointless, and the acrylic tends to crack and leak...

I mean is liquid cooling really needed? I don't really know anything about it and I have mixed feelings about messing around with one. Can't I just add a few fans here and there?

#17 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

Mighty-Lu-Bu

I mean is liquid cooling really needed? I don't really know anything about it and I have mixed feelings about messing around with one. Can't I just add a few fans here and there?

Nah, it's definitely not needed. Custom liquid cooling loops are for people that want to get massive overclocks out of their CPU. A good air cooler would work fine for you. The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus is an excellent cooler for $19.99. If you want an air cooler that works as well as many of those little prebuilt liquid coolers, then go with the Noctua NH-D14. The CM Hyper 212 Plus is probably your best bet, though. It definitely offers the most bang for your buck...
#18 Posted by DJP3000 (293 posts) -

go with the 8320 and over clock it its the same chip just a lower speed.

Drop the water cooling my bros pc was killed by a broken water cooling system

16gbs of ram is to much go with 8

maybe wait for amds new cards should be out soon.

that psu is a bit overkill for a 7850

osirisx3

If the OP can afford the 8350 then I recommend that over the 8320.  If he would overclock the 8320 to 8350 speeds it would involve so much time of testing for stabiility.  Then again I don't keep my system oveclocked.  With the bugs in some software these days, you can't be too sure if it's an overclock that causes a problem or buggy software.

#19 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mighty-Lu-Bu"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Have you considered building your own liquid cooling loop? It'll work much better, you can ensure that it won't leak because you know that the hose clamps and waterblock screws are tight enough, you'll get much higher quality parts, and it'll last much longer. The only thing is that it's a bit more expensive, but I can help you keep the price down with a few tricks that I've learned. Also, never use a reservoir for a custom liquid cooling loop. They're absolutely pointless, and the acrylic tends to crack and leak...superclocked

Nah, it's definitely not needed. Custom liquid cooling loops are for people that want to get massive overclocks out of their CPU. A good air cooler would work fine for you. The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus is an excellent cooler for $19.99. If you want an air cooler that works as well as many of those little prebuilt liquid coolers, then go with the Noctua NH-D14. The CM Hyper 212 Plus is probably your best bet, though. It definitely offers the most bang for your buck...

There is a newer version of the Cooler Master Hyper called the Cooler Master Hyper Evo. I think I will get that one. It is only $10 more than the previous version and all version have amazing reviews. Here it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Anyways, I am definitely going to go with the 750w power supply. I did the Newegg Power Supply test and it gave me 560 watts which I know is a rough estimate. Now here is the dilemma; I am torn between two power supplies, the MK III Silencer 750w or the Corsair HX 750w. The Corsair is about $20 cheaper however, the Corsair HX 850w power supply is the same price as the MK III Silencer 750w. Any suggestions?

#20 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

^Corsair make great power supplies, you can't really go wrong either way though.

#21 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -
Don't focus on the amount of Ram as much as focus on the speed of Ram. Try to locate a motherboard that houses 2800mhz Ram. Trust me faster Ram makes a difference with framerates and just loading and all around speedier.
#22 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -
I went with the h100. It works fine with my i73960x. I'm still looking for a solution on cooling my GTX 690.
#23 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

Don't focus on the amount of Ram as much as focus on the speed of Ram. Try to locate a motherboard that houses 2800mhz Ram. Trust me faster Ram makes a difference with framerates and just loading and all around speedier. RimacBugatti
It really doesn't make that much difference.

sniperelitev2.gif

shogun.gif

Note that the highlighted 3100mhz(!) ram sells for $2000...

#24 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -

^Corsair make great power supplies, you can't really go wrong either way though.

kraken2109

I went with the Corsair HX 750wa power supply because after reabates and special promos with came out to around $90 for a PSU that is usually $140-$170.

I also changed my RAM to Corair Vengeance 8GB (1600) DDR 3 SDRAM.

I am going to go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler, but I am interested in the XZXT Kraken X60 or X40 or the Corair ones. Only problem with the Corsair line-up is that they don't have AM3+ support currently.

#25 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

Drop the pointless liquid-cooling for air-cooling system.

Drop the RAM down to 8GB. No need to be excessive with 16GB.

#26 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2616 posts) -
Some things I have been considering: I might go with the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 motherboard vs. the ASUS M5A99FX PRO however, it there is no considerable difference then I will just stick with the Asus one. Also, I have heard a lot of people complaining that Corsair Vengeance RAM's heatsinks often interfere with after market air cpu coolers because they are too big. If this is the case and I believe it is, then I think I am going to go with one of the pre-built liquid cooling systems. I have heard great praise from the Thermallake 2.0 Extreme and the smaller NZXT Kraken X40. Does anyone have any ideas? Also I am pretty sure at this point that I am going with Windows 8.