smough and ornstein

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

allright. so i am having problems. i wathced couple videos on youtube and also read some strategies but when you do it, it is different. i am summoning sol and the fight starts. while sol fights with smough i easily dispatch ornstein. bu then problem starts. smough keeps jumpin with this electrical thing and no matter i roll or block i keep dying. he does it back to back, so if survive one i die to another, the best i did so far was bringing his health to 50%. what am i doing wrong? most strategies say wait until he swings his hammer and the close in but dude keeps electrical jumping. would it be easier if we kill smough first?

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Easiest strategy you could try when you realize you just can't kill him (I mean c'mon, its not THAT difficult, it's not impossible) is just kill Ornstein first as you've been doing it and then find a pillar and make Smough charge at you, he won't reach you cuz he'll be blocked by the pillar, just keep him like that throughout all the fight and also keep flinging dung pies at him, he will get the TOXIN status and slowly but surely die out of poopie being flung at him.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Keep a pillar between you and Smough. All of his attacks will be stopped by the pillar (just stay far enough back that you don't get hit with the splash damage). Then just run in and get a quick attack on him after his jump attack. Repeat until he's dead.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
anyone else first think that this entire thread was a euphemism for sex? >.>
megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
Easiest strategy you could try when you realize you just can't kill him (I mean c'mon, its not THAT difficult, it's not impossible) is just kill Ornstein first as you've been doing it and then find a pillar and make Smough charge at you, he won't reach you cuz he'll be blocked by the pillar, just keep him like that throughout all the fight and also keep flinging dung pies at him, he will get the TOXIN status and slowly but surely die out of poopie being flung at him. 8-Bitterness
Ah... good old dung pies. That's how I beat the stray demon the first time I returned to the asylum.

As for Ornstein and Smough, you might want to consider summoning another player if you can. Most players throw their sigils down in the bonfire room; a few will throw their signs down in front of the boss door. I'd recommend clearing the silver knights and giants beforehand to have the path from the bonfire wide open (you can clear the enemies in offline mode if you find yourself being invaded too much). Although, last time I played (~1 month ago), I don't remember Anor Londo being the invasion hot spot it was when the game released.
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

anyone else first think that this entire thread was a euphemism for sex? >.>Allicrombie

^

if I never played dark souls, I probably would have reported TC. lolz!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

anyone else first think that this entire thread was a euphemism for sex? >.>Allicrombie
Oh you!

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

If oyu have any ranged magic attacks like soul arrows it is best to use those and get SMough's health as low as possible before you start to engage him. All of his attacks are dodgeable, are you at 50% equip burden so that you can roll fast? You have to anticipate his electric jump smash and I believe you have to roll back twice to be out of the AoE of his attack.

frankopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 frankopan
Member since 2005 • 186 Posts

Had the same problem. In the end I just summoned another player. There is always summoning signs in front of the boss door. Just make sure your nat type isn't strict and other network stuff is sorted so you don't have any "summoning failed" problems.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tanerb

here is a question. if i equip havel's armor, would smough's jumping lightning still kill me if i block instead of rolling?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_bi99man

here is a question. if i equip havel's armor, would smough's jumping lightning still kill me if i block instead of rolling?

tanerb

It'll do damage. Of course, it might be a little less damage, depending on Havel's lightning def, and that of whatever armor you're already using. but yeah, you can't block it, if you're within the range.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tanerb

[QUOTE="tanerb"]

the_bi99man

It'll do damage. Of course, it might be a little less damage, depending on Havel's lightning def, and that of whatever armor you're already using. but yeah, you can't block it, if you're within the range.

right now i have gold hemmed black robe as i am a dexterity build. if i equip havel's armor, i will be like 80% of the carrying capacity. what i was thinking is equip havel's armor, forget about dodging and just tanking both of them. ornstein falls quickly to fire damage so i am sure i can singleton smough pretty early in the game

in case anybody is wondering why i keep asking instead of trying , i am running out of humanities :(

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="tanerb"]

tanerb

right now i have gold hemmed black robe as i am a dexterity build. if i equip havel's armor, i will be like 80% of the carrying capacity. what i was thinking is equip havel's armor, forget about dodging and just tanking both of them. ornstein falls quickly to fire damage so i am sure i can singleton smough pretty early in the game

in case anybody is wondering why i keep asking instead of trying , i am running out of humanities :(

I dunno... smough's lightning ass smash is gonna do a good bit of damage if you don't dodge it, even with great armor. The best strategy is definitely to just get ornstein out of the way, then use the pillars as cover to take out smough. Remember that even after the pillars are smashed, the stubs are enough to stop smough's attacks. Just circle around, keeping a pillar stub between you and him. Wait for him to do his jump hammer attack. If he's up against a pillar, the jump will go nowhere. Let him hit the ground, then run up and get in a quick hit or two while he's recovering. Step back out of range and do it again.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

It's easier to kill Smough first in NG imo. You can just stand between giant Ornstein's legs and only have to worry about two attacks: his backward jump downward slash, and his lightning butt slam. If you can fast roll, both should be fairly easy to dodge. Ornstein is also weak against fire, so if you have pyromancy or charcoal pine resin that'll help. You also get the leo ring if you kill Ornstein last.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

It's easier to kill Smough first in NG imo. You can just stand between giant Ornstein's legs and only have to worry about two attacks: his backward jump downward slash, and his lightning butt slam. If you can fast roll, both should be fairly easy to dodge. Ornstein is also weak against fire, so if you have pyromancy or charcoal pine resin that'll help. You also get the leo ring if you kill Ornstein last.

PTMags
and the chance to buy his awesome armor.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Easiest strategy you could try when you realize you just can't kill him (I mean c'mon, its not THAT difficult, it's not impossible) is just kill Ornstein first as you've been doing it and then find a pillar and make Smough charge at you, he won't reach you cuz he'll be blocked by the pillar, just keep him like that throughout all the fight and also keep flinging dung pies at him, he will get the TOXIN status and slowly but surely die out of poopie being flung at him. 8-Bitterness

LOL.

I'm going to try this. The kid in me just laughed uncontrollably.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tanerb

just want to inform you guys that that i beat them 10 minutes ago with the help of a summoned brave knight. thanks everybody for the help.

by the way i tried the dung pie but didn't work. i threw him like 6 but he was not poisoned :)

also, one thing i figured is that enemies do not attack invaders. i don't think this fair. someone invaded me while i was fighting with giants and it was not fun

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts

just want to inform you guys that that i beat them 10 minutes ago with the help of a summoned brave knight. thanks everybody for the help.

by the way i tried the dung pie but didn't work. i threw him like 6 but he was not poisoned :)

also, one thing i figured is that enemies do not attack invaders. i don't think this fair. someone invaded me while i was fighting with giants and it was not fun

tanerb
Congrats! They're one of the harder bosses in the game. For dung pies, you've got to make sure you throw them fairly quickly to build the toxic status up. Once black smoke starts surround them, you'll know the status has stuck.

It sucks when invaders show up when you're in the middle of a fight, but the best you can do is: a) run away or b) hope the invader has some honor and will wait for you to be ready.