Slow performance, only in games. What's the problem?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

First, it was slow performance for my PC in general. I removed all adware and "potentially unwanted programs" from my computer and now, it's only laggy and slow for my games like Call of Duty 2. I never remember it lagging THIS BAD with my games. It's like a pattern that it lags in. I would say, every 3-5 seconds, it lags (screen tears), and it's really, really ***ing annoying. Please help me.

I'm doing a major upgrade in a few weeks that will allow me lagless performance in today's current games, but I don't want it to just randomly do this **** again. It was fine about 2 weeks ago, then it started lagging like this in my games and acting really slow. Please help! My computer doesn't need a defragment, I virus/spyware scanned my computer and everything unwanted is off. What should I do, and what do you guys think the problem is? Thanks.. 

Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lucifer007
Member since 2006 • 1132 Posts
SPECS?
Avatar image for 353535355353535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 353535355353535
Member since 2005 • 4424 Posts
no one can help you on this forum if you dont display your specs
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Skullheart

I don't see what displaying my specs is going to do. I'm just saying, my PC is slow with games like World of Warcraft and Call of Duty 2 for some crazy ***, out of the blue reason. I don't have any viruses, adware, nothing. It's all gone. My PC is decently fast with everything else but games, and I can't ****ing figure out why. It seems to just lag in a pattern when i'm in-game.

Like, every 3 to 5 seconds, it will spike a brief screen tear and lag my game. It's the most annoying thing I've ever seen, please help :/

EDIT: Please save the "omg ur pc is sux" because I know, and I'm pissed off enough as it is. I'm upgrading my PC in a few weeks that will allow me to max out many of the current games coming out today with some good lagless performance. I just don't want this same problem to appear when I do the upgrade. 

Avatar image for 353535355353535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 353535355353535
Member since 2005 • 4424 Posts

I don't see what displaying my specs is going to do. I'm just saying, my PC is slow with games like World of Warcraft and Call of Duty 2 for some crazy ***, out of the blue reason. I don't have any viruses, adware, nothing. It's all gone. My PC is decently fast with everything else but games, and I can't ****ing figure out why. It seems to just lag in a pattern when i'm in-game.

Like, every 3 to 5 seconds, it will spike a brief screen tear and lag my game. It's the most annoying thing I've ever seen, please help :/

EDIT: Please save the "omg ur pc is sux" because I know, and I'm pissed off enough as it is. I'm upgrading my PC in a few weeks that will allow me to max out many of the current games coming out today with some good lagless performance. I just don't want this same problem to appear when I do the upgrade. 

Skullheart

hmmkay then. Was it always slow with your games, or did it just start? If it did, im pretty sure you have a virus, or outdated video card drivers. If you have the most up-to-date video card drivers, then you should reformat your hard drive

about that PC you're getting in a few weeks, are you building it yourself, or are you buying a prebuilt

Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lucifer007
Member since 2006 • 1132 Posts
did the games do a update. Im mean really the specs are outof date adn you must some problem with a bug.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skullheart

I'm building it myself, but I know how to do it. But no, I don't think I have a virus. I don't download anything but patches (official patches) and maybe a few mods, but that's about it. I ran mcafee virus scan and it deleted all the "unwanted programs", and I got rid of all the spy/adware.

It just started doing this, but I never installed or went to any unfamiliar website. It just started doing this out of the damn blue. Oh, and I'm not going to reformat. It doesn't do anything for my computer other than be a complete pain in the ***

I actually just reformatted my harddrive about a month and a half ago because I had rootware on my computer, so that's the only reason I did it. I seriously have no idea why the hell it's doing this, and I really don't want this to happen eventually with my new computer (new computer basically. I'm replacing everything except for the HDD and the DVD drive).

No, the games didn't update. World of Warcraft updates almost every month but that shouldn't affect my performance with the game.

It doesn't matter if my specs are out of date, they should lag that bad with games like WoW and CoD2, because my specs aren't out of date for WoW. Maybe CoD2, but that'll get fixed.

WhOOmpa260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WhOOmpa260
Member since 2005 • 600 Posts
I think its a virus. Did you do the virus scan in safe mode? cos that'll gurantee its not a virus.
Samer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Samer12
Member since 2005 • 46 Posts
IFFFF it just started doing this and going slow thennnn.... You might be able to do a system restore to the day it was running fast. You should try it maybe it might work.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skullheart

I have no idea. All I know is, it hasn't been laggy like this until about a week ago and mcafee never popped up with, "omg you have teh virus". I did a hard drive scan 2 days ago and it removed 4 unwanted programs, and my system is fast now.

But that's just it. My actual computer isn't slow at all when I'm out of games. But when I'm in-game, that's when it's laggy and slow. Just what the hell is going on? Will this all be fixed when I upgrade? Is my computer just old and doesn't work anymore (it's about 2 years old actually)? 

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skullheart

IFFFF it just started doing this and going slow thennnn.... You might be able to do a system restore to the day it was running fast. You should try it maybe it might work.Samer12

I don't have a system restore point to that day, or any day for that matter. Ever since I reformatted I never really put any point in. 

Samer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Samer12
No your computer is low end that fast but normally it should not do what it is doin but yes if you upgrade definately you will get better performance. but try that system restore might work just set the day to a day that your computer was running fine.
Samer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Samer12
The computer has its own checkpoints and there will be one for evryday
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Skullheart

Do you think it's just because my computer is old and out of date for games? If that's the case, then I can easily live with that. I just don't want this problem to happen when I upgrade.

(Btw my upgrade includes an ATI Radeon x1950 Pro graphics card and an AMD +4600 dual core processor, so I will easily be able to max out games such as Oblivion and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I just didn't want this problem to show it's ugly face again, but that's unlikely isn't it?) 

WhOOmpa260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WhOOmpa260
Member since 2005 • 600 Posts
the only thing which could be slowing down your comp would be on your hard drive (or drivers for your graphics card) but the only thing you're transferring to the new comp is your hard drive. Therefore you should do a virus scan in safe mode, im telling you that's probably where the problem lies. I suspect it would be somewhere in your registries. Oh and make sure those drivers are up to date;)
Samer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Samer12
with that processor you wont max out anuthing these days you need a conroe. try getting a e6600 conroe it will blow the amd out of the water and its only $225, the video card since your upgrading try for ans xtx version of the 1950 or get a 2900xtx or just get a 8800gts 320mb then you will be able to max out most games.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Skullheart

with that processor you wont max out anuthing these days you need a conroe. try getting a e6600 conroe it will blow the amd out of the water and its only $225, the video card since your upgrading try for ans xtx version of the 1950 or get a 2900xtx or just get a 8800gts 320mb then you will be able to max out most games.Samer12

Dude what the hell are you talking about. I've seen people post videos on youtube with lower processors and they are able to get great lagles performance with completely maxed out settings. 

Also, if you go to this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SI1L4PzxOls   you will see that the person there has played Oblivion on ultra high settings, with lagless performance and he has a 7800gs. If you look at the graphics card comparison between the ATI Radeon x1950 pro I plan to buy and his, there's a significant difference.

Besides, processors aren't the ones responsible for making your game lagless. That's more the RAM and the graphics card's jobs. 

Samer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Samer12
LOL man you are out of your mind. I have a Gainward bliss 7800gs 512mb + and I have it overclocked yes it does runs fast in games and the one I have will crap on the 1950pro and I am teling you right now that 1950 pro will not be maxing out oblivion with HDR the only thing it will max out is rollercoaster tycoon.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Skullheart

Well this guy right here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hoGseLGNq8U
has the same card and he maxed out FEAR.

Also, look at the graphic card difference:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?PHPSESSID=1e9f3618cf8cbe718b4ca789e61eba24&card1=466&card2=360

Samer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Samer12

fIRST VIDEO THE GAME WAS LAGGY AND THE RESOLUTION WAS LOW, COMPARE THE 1950PRO WITH THE GAINWARD BLISS 7800GS 512MB+ THEN COME TELL ME THIS AND THAT. YOUR BETTER OFF WITH AN 8800GTS FOR SURE.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Skullheart

Really? The video wasn't laggy for me. How do you know it was a low resolution? He mentioned that he had a drop in his frame rate because of FRAPS. It has a tendancy to do that. I'm sure there are better cards out there than the x1950 pro, but it's one of the best (if not the best) for the price. I'm on a budget anyway, so I can't just go out and buy some **** for 800 dollars.

PLUS: My friend has two geforce 7300's running on an SLI board and he can max out Oblivion without any lag. This card, and the gaming rig I intend to buy, will let me do this. I've done my research and the people who buy the x1950 pros all say the same thing (they can max out current, nowaday games without any problems). So I honestly have no idea where you're going with your supposedly righteous statement. 

Samer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Samer12
How is the 8800gts 320mb expensive??? that is the best card for the money. It doubles the performance of a crappy ati 1950 pro.
nohnaimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nohnaimer
Member since 2003 • 513 Posts

How is the 8800gts 320mb expensive??? that is the best card for the money. It doubles the performance of a crappy ati 1950 pro.Samer12

yeah double the performance at more than double the cost of a x1950gt, a x1950gt is more than enough for most people's gaming needs, not everyone needs to play games at the max settings with the highest possible AA. 

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

How is the 8800gts 320mb expensive??? that is the best card for the money. It doubles the performance of a crappy ati 1950 pro.Samer12

Dude, leave the guy alone. The GPU and processor that he wants to get will play the games he wants and play them decently. Stop with the slamming and try to help him out by giving him suggestions other than "Screw this man, get a C2D and a better graphics card than that."

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

[QUOTE="Samer12"]How is the 8800gts 320mb expensive??? that is the best card for the money. It doubles the performance of a crappy ati 1950 pro.Cdscottie

Dude, leave the guy alone. The GPU and processor that he wants to get will play the games he wants and play them decently. Stop with the slamming and try to help him out by giving him suggestions other than "Screw this man, get a C2D and a better graphics card than that."

it kinda looks like he's trolling. look at how many posts he has.