Skyrim / Steam sales?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

Just built my first PC and ready to start buying some games. I was wondering how often Steam has sales on newer games like Skyrim. Don't want to have to pay full price for a game I already own on 360. Any way to know when it might go on sale next and for how much?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Don't know when it will go on sale, but when it does it will probably be 33% off considering it is still somewhat new.
Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

It's gone on sale for 40 dollars at least once, it will probably get another sale when some dlc or an expansion is released. Also the summer steam sale with likely have it on sale.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

Check Amazon too, they always have competitive prices for downloads.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 INF1DEL

When does the summer sale usually start? If I have to be online to play anyway (is that right?) I'd rather not deal with the disc. Unless there's somewhere I could trade in my 360 version that also sells it for PC? I'm reluctant to give Gamestop any money though.

Also how does Amazon's digital download work? It's seperate from Steam, right? If I bought Crysis 2 would it download through Origin?

Stream_Beta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stream_Beta
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts

When does the summer sale usually start? If I have to be online to play anyway (is that right?) I'd rather not deal with the disc. Unless there's somewhere I could trade in my 360 version that also sells it for PC? I'm reluctant to give Gamestop any money though.

Also how does Amazon's digital download work? It's seperate from Steam, right? If I bought Crysis 2 would it download through Origin?

INF1DEL

Some games that are bought through amazon will need Steam to make them work. Majority of games on Amazon though will be standalone. The Steam summer sale this year will either be at the very very end of June or the very beginning of July. It is worth the wait if you already have it on the 360. Skyrim was already on sale just a little while ago, so I don't think it'll go on sale until june again.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

It'll probably be on sale some time before too long. Either way, if it's taking forever to go on sale, get it anyway. Even if you've already played it on 360, you won't regret it. Mods easily make it worth twice as much. Also, no, you don't have to be online for Skyrim to work.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 INF1DEL
Yeah, I already have a huge list of mods I want lol. Do you have to be online for the Steam version? Or am I just confused? Thought I heard that somewhere...
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I don't know. Mine is not the steam version. I run it offline all the time. I also run my steam games offline with offline mode, almost always, because I don't want my computer using resources to communicate with steam while I'm playing. Also, I hate when I open steam and then can't play half life right away because it has to update or something. If you open in offline mode, even if a game has a new update, if steam doesn't know yet, you don't have to get it. Then I just let steam online every now and again to check for updates. The only steam games I have are HL2/ep1/2 and portal, though. I don't know if it's different with more recent games.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Cool so you have a non Steam copy of a Steam only game, try to be smart when you're trying to act smart, otherwise you'll just admit to piracy like now.
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

Cool so you have a non Steam copy of a Steam only game, try to be smart when you're trying to act smart, otherwise you'll just admit to piracy like now.DanielDust

My thoughts exactly. Regardless of whether or not you buy the game retail or through Steam itself you will need to activate the game through Steam. So OP if your retailer allows it you could trade in your 360 copy of Skyrim and use the credit towards the purchase of the PC version. Either way you'll have the game on Steam.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I don't know. Mine is not the steam version. I run it offline all the time. I also run my steam games offline with offline mode, almost always, because I don't want my computer using resources to communicate with steam while I'm playing. Also, I hate when I open steam and then can't play half life right away because it has to update or something. If you open in offline mode, even if a game has a new update, if steam doesn't know yet, you don't have to get it. Then I just let steam online every now and again to check for updates. The only steam games I have are HL2/ep1/2 and portal, though. I don't know if it's different with more recent games.

the_bi99man

Thief!