skyrim shadows bad!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jhonny7 (25 posts) -
Alright, the game looks great overall but the shadows are bad!! they seem worse than oblivion. If this is a new engine wouldn't getting this part of the graphics right be a major priority for the developers? right now they are way beyong dissapointing especially considering how good the rest of the game looks on ultra settings.
#2 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Yeah, the shadows are pretty bad. I'm beginning to think if I should just turn it down to medium or even low... since the game takes a huge performance from it. And it doesn't look that much better on high.
#3 Posted by rhazzy (1516 posts) -

Yeah, the shadows are pretty bad. I'm beginning to think if I should just turn it down to medium or even low... since the game takes a huge performance from it. And it doesn't look that much better on high.Elann2008

I didnt even noticed the shadows...iam to busy freaking exploring!!!!

Iam going to check out the shadows ingame...

#4 Posted by JKnaperek (2023 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Yeah, the shadows are pretty bad. I'm beginning to think if I should just turn it down to medium or even low... since the game takes a huge performance from it. And it doesn't look that much better on high.rhazzy

I didnt even noticed the shadows...iam to busy freaking exploring!!!!

Iam going to check out the shadows ingame...

How could you not notice them? The intro of the game practically forces you into seeing how bad they are sitting on that wagon. Other than that though, the game is super awesome.
#5 Posted by jtcraft (2770 posts) -
It isn't surprising. Oblivion didn't have good shadows when it came out. The shadows on the player/npc were even worse. Overall, the game is great.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#6 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Yeah, the shadows are pretty bad. I'm beginning to think if I should just turn it down to medium or even low... since the game takes a huge performance from it. And it doesn't look that much better on high.Elann2008

I want comparison pics :P

#7 Posted by jhonny7 (25 posts) -

I used some of the ini tweaks and now the shadows are MUCH better, I also installed the FXAA post processing mod and the game just came alive!! amazing how amature modders could improve a game in two days which the developers have been working on for years!!

#8 Posted by cooloutac (178 posts) -

lol. ya shadows and lighting are what pushes graphic innovation the most imo. they are the most important imo.

not only that but in this one town.... I notice the shadows on everything flickering unaturally. I thought it was a graphical error to do with my vid card, since i have amd... but i'm beginning to think it has nothing to do with that. Cause even changing the graphic settings didnt' matter.

the whole game looks like crap to me. Two Worlds II in dx10/11 has amazing lighting that will blow your mind. if u have a nice modern graphics card and want to explore a world as opena nd big as skyrim. You might want to check it out. it looks and runs beautiful.

skyrim is a 10 year old game. and not only that its killing the lifespan of our hardware and eyes....and yes i agree medium doesn't look much diff then high. might as well keep it low for you vids card sake then lmao.

reminds me of when i used to play anarchyonline....and i could literally hear my pc scream hahahaha. I mean i had to stop playing that game before my cpu died.....even though it was an old crappy looking game that was already over 10 years old..... thats the whole reason it kills the hardware. because its not optimized for the new hardware. thats why skyrim, even though it looks really ugly, runs like utter crap and is still very demanding. becase its made for new hardware with old software tech. its dx8/9 on dx11 cards lol.

not only does dx11 make things look better especially shadows and lighting. but it makes things run much smoother as well.

#9 Posted by cooloutac (178 posts) -

I used some of the ini tweaks and now the shadows are MUCH better, I also installed the FXAA post processing mod and the game just came alive!! amazing how amature modders could improve a game in two days which the developers have been working on for years!!

jhonny7
what .ini tweaks did you do? and where can i download that mod?
#10 Posted by Rusteater (4080 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonny7"]

cooloutac

what .ini tweaks did you do? and where can i download that mod?

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131

Glitchspot won't let me link!!! :evil:

#11 Posted by SickStench (495 posts) -

Would anyone like to take a screenshot of these said "horrible" Shadows? I'd like to see them from a PC user point of view. Thanks

#12 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

dont mind the horrible textures, im on my laptop at the moment....but these are "ultra" shadows

#13 Posted by LUMIN4RY (416 posts) -

The Dragons leave horrible shadows, especially when they are spewing fire in my face.

#14 Posted by SickStench (495 posts) -

Thanks for the screen, and yeah those are pretty horrible. This is why I haven't gotten the game yet. I knew it would not be worth my time before the mods came out. So I'm waiting for tons of mods to be made for it. :D

#15 Posted by Gooeykat (3411 posts) -
The shadows are terrible and I have enabled environment shadows as well. I'm think about just disabling them completely.
#16 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

There is already a mod that makes the shadows look alot better

#17 Posted by James00715 (2484 posts) -

Most likely a requirement to get the game running at a passable framerate on consoles.

#18 Posted by Gooeykat (3411 posts) -

kozzy1234
Got a link?
#19 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Gooeykat

Got a link?

Check here, I have a few mods that I used cant rememeber the names, but this should work to for the shadows, just gotta change a few things with the INI.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/458018-skyrim-graphics-modding/

fShadowDistance= From 8000.0000 to 2500.0000 and fInteriorShadowDistance= 3000.0000 to 2500.0000

#20 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

in ur skyrimpref ini (documents/mygames) change shadow resolution to a base 2 multiple like 1024, 2048, or 4096

then ur shadow draw distance should be set to a lower value like 2000 rather than 8000. Note that doing this will decrease ur shadow draw distance but signifcantly improve shadow resolution. You most likely won't notice the shorter draw distance for the shadows.