This topic is locked from further discussion.

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts

I just gotta say guys I'm blown away with this game. Just the sheer amount of detail that Bethesda has put into Skyrim makes this game come alive like no other. There is just so much depth, textures, history,ES mithology, stories, etc... I cango on and on. Imo Skyrim IS the game of 2011. So what do you guys think of the game so far? Do you consider it to be the best game released this year?

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LUMIN4RY
Member since 2011 • 416 Posts

It's spectacular. I wonder why so many people are being negative about it? I would vote GOTY for Skyrim.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

It's spectacular. I wonder why so many people are being negative about it? I would vote GOTY for Skyrim.

LUMIN4RY
As a percentage I doubt they make up 1% of the people who are playing this game right now, seriously. Not everyone will like the same thing so it happens. On these forums I would say most are haters.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

As far as I see it, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Skyward Sword (judging from the reviews so far), and Deus Ex are the only true contenders for GOTY this year. I think anyone of these is a good choice, honestly. If I were a betting man, I'd probably place my money on either Skyrim or Skyward Sword though.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

As far as I see it, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Skyward Sword (judging from the reviews so far), and Deus Ex are the only true contenders for GOTY this year. I think anyone of these is a good choice, honestly. If I were a betting man, I'd probably place my money on either Skyrim or Skyward Sword though.

Grodus5
Interesting how theyre all RPGs
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
I'd bet that Skyward Sword will win GOTY, but seeing as how I haven't played either yet (Skyrim is installed, but this take-home exam isn't writing itself)...I don't have a whole lot else to say right now. My friend's comments have been negative/amusing though: "The NPC couldn't work out how to climb the stairs, stopped half-way, and is now staring at me as if pretending that he meant to do that all along", "Whoops, I accidentally married a guy - why does that always happen in these games?", and...well, so on.
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

kris9031998

I think it's rather obvious that MW3 will get GOTY.

While I love it, even I admit that it's probably not the best candidate for such a title.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Skyrim definately is GOTY for me at the moment. I wasn't expecting to be this immersed and captivated by every element of the game. I mean, I was expecting it to be good, but the sheer scope and ambitions of this game are astounding.
robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 robertoenrique
Skyrim definately is GOTY for me at the moment. I wasn't expecting to be this immersed and captivated by every element of the game. I mean, I was expecting it to be good, but the sheer scope and ambitions of this game are astounding.JKnaperek
Totally agree with you. I mean this game has taken everything into consideration. Skyrim has quality written all over it.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Possibly. More likely than for excample BF3, UC3, MW3, etc. will get GOTY.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I enjoyed The Witcher 2 a lot more, in fact iv stopped playing Skyrim while i wait for some mods to make the game ( mainly the UI ) better.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

i think the positives heavily outway the negatives in this game. This game is incredible. GOTY for me.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

GOTY as well for me. I would even say it's the best game I played this gen. It has definitely set a new bar for RPGs, at least for me. I need to pull up a few of the hate threads amoung the 100s that were created on this site about Skyrim to have a good laugh at their weak arguments.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Forget game of the year...this is one of the best games I've ever played.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

I am enjoying the game, but it's no goty in my book. Why? yes it is awesome (oblivion seemed that way for 200 plus hours), yes it is huge (so was oblivion), lots of sidequests (oblivion did that too), good graphics (oblivion seemed that way too.).

Bottomline, skyrim is awesome, but personally, oblivion seemed that way too, until cracks started showing. I am more of a story guy, so I tend to check if a game's plot and writing, npc character and personalities, and story telling is up to par. Skyrim so far improved on everything oblivion did and more, but storyline, writing, plot and npcs are nothing to brag about. No bar raised any where, all bethesda was improved on an already existing formula.

Bottomline, the witcher 2 still holds the crown for me. why? because it had a world that really felt more alive. It wasn't a free roam game, but the npcs made the game come alive and the story was second to none. I will beat skyrim and play again, but I know I won't be thinking about the npcs, or the villains or the quests, or the story or question the choices I made. Witcher 2 did that for me and for that, it will remain at the top right next to baldur's gate 2 until another rpg shows up to dethrone it. Skyrim won't be that rpg.

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

It does so many things better than Oblivion. My only issues are some really bad textures and the world is a little too grey. The dungeons are amazing in this game though, making it 100X better than Oblivion in that aspect. I'm not sure if I should play through it now or wait til texture mods are released. Definitely a GOTY contender, but Halo and Zelda are coming this week and that will surely disrupt my Skyrim playtime anyways.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I am loving this game and have not even scratched the surface

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I wish there was some way I could demo the game on my pc before committing 60 bananas to it. I meet (and exceed) the minimum requirements. But you know how that goes sometimes. . .

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 robertoenrique
[QUOTE="omenodebander"]

I am enjoying the game, but it's no goty in my book. Why? yes it is awesome (oblivion seemed that way for 200 plus hours), yes it is huge (so was oblivion), lots of sidequests (oblivion did that too), good graphics (oblivion seemed that way too.).

Bottomline, skyrim is awesome, but personally, oblivion seemed that way too, until cracks started showing. I am more of a story guy, so I tend to check if a game's plot and writing, npc character and personalities, and story telling is up to par. Skyrim so far improved on everything oblivion did and more, but storyline, writing, plot and npcs are nothing to brag about. No bar raised any where, all bethesda was improved on an already existing formula.

Bottomline, the witcher 2 still holds the crown for me. why? because it had a world that really felt more alive. It wasn't a free roam game, but the npcs made the game come alive and the story was second to none. I will beat skyrim and play again, but I know I won't be thinking about the npcs, or the villains or the quests, or the story or question the choices I made. Witcher 2 did that for me and for that, it will remain at the top right next to baldur's gate 2 until another rpg shows up to dethrone it. Skyrim won't be that rpg.

I respect your opionion, but in my case TW2 proved to be a boring game. At the begining I was definetly blown away by it, but as the game advanced I found myself desperate to finish it once and for all. I would have rated TW2 at 8.0 max. Battles got too repetitive, loot system was shallow and there wasnt a single item you felt excited to get compared to THW1 dwarven armor and on a whole other level BG 2's Great Carmisoyr +5 sword. Regarding Skyrim, I'm just blown away at the amount of detail developers have placed into the game. Graphic wise I also believe that Skyrim beats TW2, I mean I did feel as part of the world when playing The Witcher 2 but that cant compare to the level of immersion Skyrim provides.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's an exceptional game. I'm not sure if it's GOTY though. I'm 11 hours in, and I've barely scratched the surface. Doing every single sidequest I could find or discover, while trying not to stick to the main quest.
omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 omenodebander

[QUOTE="omenodebander"]

robertoenrique

I respect your opionion, but in my case TW2 proved to be a boring game. At the begining I was definetly blown away by it, but as the game advanced I found myself desperate to finish it once and for all. I would have rated TW2 at 8.0 max. Battles got too repetitive, loot system was shallow and there wasnt a single item you felt excited to get compared to THW1 dwarven armor and on a whole other level BG 2's Great Carmisoyr +5 sword. Regarding Skyrim, I'm just blown away at the amount of detail developers have placed into the game. Graphic wise I also believe that Skyrim beats TW2, I mean I did feel as part of the world when playing The Witcher 2 but that cant compare to the level of immersion Skyrim provides.

I respect yours as well. I am enjoying skyrim atm, but thing is, this game is what oblivion should have been years ago. It's not as broken as oblivion was and so far most of the issues I had with that game are gone. The major point I'm trying to make is, there is nothing about skyrim that makes me go OMG! Everything in the game so far is what I expected from an elderscrolls game, and that's it. The witcher 2 had the choice and consequence stuff. I've read the books and even watched the tv series-which pretty much means I'm deeply invested in the witcher lore. I prefer the more gritty semi-realistic fantasy world of the witcher over the high fantasy setting of the elderscrolls. Bethesda can craft very impressive worlds and stufff, but their story telling skills, dialog and writing= subpar

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omenodebander

Graphic wise I also believe that Skyrim beats TW2, I mean I did feel as part of the world when playing The Witcher 2 but that cant compare to the level of immersion Skyrim provides.

Graphics wise? hmm, I disagree. Witcher 2 has the best visuals of any rpg FAR. Skyrim is defintely not a better looking game. It's good looking, yes, but the visuals are highly inconsistent, with low res textures nearly everywhere. I'm running the game at near Ultra.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I havbe been going around the forums yelling from the top of my lungs that Dark Souls is GOTY and no other game can ever come close to it. I am officially retracting that statement.

Skyrim is the Game of the Year! It's the best game I've played all this year and most of last. I don't care what game actually wins the title...

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Shoot me if you will, but I enjoyed Fallout 3's world around Washington DC better. Vegas is a different story. I think it should have been a next gen title, because the graphics are pretty weak. No better than Oblivion. Actually, Oblivion was pretty awesome when it came out. This game looks like it was released 5 years ago. GOTY? No. I think Arkham City has that locked in IMO. This is a good game, but it feels like an Adventure RPG, with pretty weak story. Why can't Bethesda make a BioWare, or Square type of a story, with depth? Don't know...
Reach-The-Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Reach-The-Myth
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts

GOTY contenders for me are Uncharted 3, Batman : Arkham City, The Witcher 2and of course - SKYRIM. (SKYRIM is spelt in caps intentionally - not too add effect.).

Due to a mess up at game.co.uk, my friend got skyward sword on 11/11/11, not 18/11/11, so I played it yesterday and I wasn't impressed. It was good, but I just didn't see the mass appeal to it - Then I went home and found Skyrim waiting for me, opened it up and was blown away... ( Sorry for the zelda trolling - I'll stop now)

But yeah, SKYRIM would definately get my vote this year.

grafficsak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 grafficsak
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts

Been playin it well into 10 hrs, I must say its beginning to be the best game I've played this year next to Deus Ex and Shogun2

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I really want Batman Arkham City to win this year around, and best RPG this year was Witcher 2, really.
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
Skyrim has a chance to be GOTY because it's good and it's a well known series.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

kris9031998

Meh. I wouldn't really call Skyward Sword an RPG. Batman AC is also in the mix for GOTY too. I think Skyward Sword will get it, but only by the smallest of margins. Great second half this year for gaming.
robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robertoenrique
Guys is it just me or is everyone else in this forum praising Skyrim. Havent seen one troll yet! Impressive!!!!
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#31 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
Shoot me if you will, but I enjoyed Fallout 3's world around Washington DC better. Vegas is a different story. I think it should have been a next gen title, because the graphics are pretty weak. No better than Oblivion. Actually, Oblivion was pretty awesome when it came out. This game looks like it was released 5 years ago. GOTY? No. I think Arkham City has that locked in IMO. This is a good game, but it feels like an Adventure RPG, with pretty weak story. Why can't Bethesda make a BioWare, or Square type of a story, with depth? Don't know...DevilMightCry
Have you played the game longer than 5 minutes? Have to wonder. Cool not to like it, just give some rational reasons.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Grodus5

I know it's been several months, but no love for Portal 2? :(

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

I just gotta say guys I'm blown away with this game. Just the sheer amount of detail that Bethesda has put into Skyrim makes this game come alive like no other. There is just so much depth, textures, history,ES mithology, stories, etc... I cango on and on. Imo Skyrim IS the game of 2011. So what do you guys think of the game so far? Do you consider it to be the best game released this year?

robertoenrique

Im going with The Witcher 2 as RPG of 2011. Skyrim is good but not that good.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Skyrim is definitely the most praised shoddy console port of the year :lol: The game itself is quite good however, but some things need to be fixed by mods, albeit it's the first playable vanilla version of an ES game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
It's not even the best RPG this year (see: Dark Souls).
Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

It's my game of the year, definitely. And my GOTY of the past several years. Although others have been really good/enjoyable (Portal 2/Deus Ex:HR), the sheer scope and being emerged in the world is incredible. Skyrim makes it about EXPERIENCING the world. There are a lot of character choices too, but they make it a simple background choice, not something you have to constantly worry about (major/minor in Oblivion was a horrid system).

This game is just....awesome. I've played like 20 hours and I feel I've barely scratched the surface. Just pure RPG joy.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

skyrim is really really good.

i still think that the witcher 2 and portal 2 are better games.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Shoot me if you will, but I enjoyed Fallout 3's world around Washington DC better. Vegas is a different story. I think it should have been a next gen title, because the graphics are pretty weak. No better than Oblivion. Actually, Oblivion was pretty awesome when it came out. This game looks like it was released 5 years ago. GOTY? No. I think Arkham City has that locked in IMO. This is a good game, but it feels like an Adventure RPG, with pretty weak story. Why can't Bethesda make a BioWare, or Square type of a story, with depth? Don't know...vfibsux
Have you played the game longer than 5 minutes? Have to wonder. Cool not to like it, just give some rational reasons.

Sure, I didn't finish the game, but I am well over 15 hours into the game. I knew within first 2 hours of Oblivion that it was a great game. Fallout 3 was a turn off until I reached well over 10 hours. So, I know not to judge games based on initial playtime. Like I said everything to me seems great about Skyrim, but the last gen graphics deduct a whole point from the score. I'm all about the whole experience.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Why can't Bethesda make a BioWare, or Square type of a story, with depth? Don't know...DevilMightCry
I am thrilled this game does not have a Bioware style story/presentation rammed down my throat. Skyrim represents to me what RPG's are all about.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
Skyrim has a chance to be GOTY because it's good and it's a well known series. ArchonOver
Idk, it's missing quality, the game is amazing but crashes so often and has so many anoying bugs. Maybe the console version is GOTY but PC version doesn't get my vote. I'd give it a 8.5 at most.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="ArchonOver"]Skyrim has a chance to be GOTY because it's good and it's a well known series. masterdrat
Idk, it's missing quality, the game is amazing but crashes so often and has so many anoying bugs. Maybe the console version is GOTY but PC version doesn't get my vote. I'd give it a 8.5 at most.

I played for 3 hours straight and I didn't get a crash. Although I wouldn't give it GOTY for other reasons, like its mediocre combat.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
[QUOTE="masterdrat"][QUOTE="ArchonOver"]Skyrim has a chance to be GOTY because it's good and it's a well known series. SF_KiLLaMaN

I played for 3 hours straight and I didn't get a crash. Although I wouldn't give it GOTY for other reasons, like its mediocre combat.

I've played many hours without crash too but when it starts, it just gets worst and worst I save every 5-10 minutes now cause autosave saves once every 2-3 hours. I find combat ok but it's probly because the game is stuck on controller and doesn't have an option to switch back to keyboard. no alt-tab, no running (running is supposed to be on all the time but I can walk faster than that), jumping is weak and I continuously gets stuck on invisible walls.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SF_KiLLaMaN
[QUOTE="masterdrat"][QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="masterdrat"] Idk, it's missing quality, the game is amazing but crashes so often and has so many anoying bugs. Maybe the console version is GOTY but PC version doesn't get my vote. I'd give it a 8.5 at most.

I've played many hours without crash too but when it starts, it just gets worst and worst I save every 5-10 minutes now cause autosave saves once every 2-3 hours. I find combat ok but it's probly because the game is stuck on controller and doesn't have an option to switch back to keyboard. no alt-tab, no running (running is supposed to be on all the time but I can walk faster than that), jumping is weak and I continuously gets stuck on invisible walls.

Yeah. The game has its fair share of glitches and design flaws.
ruthik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ruthik
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Here is 7+ pages of forum posts of why this game is FAR froma GOTY. I, myself, was so disappointed with the game and really wish I could have my money back. http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1276167-all-the-little-things-that-bother-you/page__st__120
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

awesome (and bloody huge) game. I think it will win GOTY and it does deserve too. but my personal GOTY is Dragon Age 2.
soooooooo many quests, 40 hours in and I still haven't even been to the eastern half of the world.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#47 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

[QUOTE="ArchonOver"]Skyrim has a chance to be GOTY because it's good and it's a well known series. masterdrat

Pretty much every pc game released this year has suffered from problems like this, it just doesn't always happen to everyone.

If we put Technical issues aside then Skyrim is GOTY imo. Very close after the witcher 2.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

if not, then it definitely deserves best value of the year :P

game has so much to offer, it is rediculous. And it is all fun. Oh, a cave to explore. Oh, a nest if giants, I am going to go get punted 100 feet in the air. Oh, you want me to assassinate that guy? Oh, fireballs! COOL!

November is literally the best month for games ever, imo.