Skyrim: Crash to desktop discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
The purpose of this thread is mainly to see if there are people here with the issue, so we can discuss fixes and updates. The game used to run fine for me, however I noticed that the longer I got into the story and questing, the more frequently I got these CDTs that just appear suddently without any messages. It only happens when fast traveling or loading a new area. This led me to believe it's an issue when the game needs to load lots of data of what have changed in the world around you since it was untouched. Which then again led me to believe it's related to the memory issue many have, that was fixed with a custom exe. Now when I play I crash every 10 minutes or so, making the game unplayable. The last patch (Nov 21) took away the ability to use custom executable to launch skyrim, thus breaking the "LAA" mod (Large Address Aware, which allowed skyrim to use more than 2GB memory) that fixed these crashes. I'm going to update here later today if I find any working solution, there are a few ones to try in the Steam forums but I'm a bit skeptical about it. UPDATE: This is the mod that seems to fix crashes for most people http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013 You launch the game from the .exe that comes with it. Steam achievements works with it if anyone was wondering that.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

95% of my crashes happens when I'm in the thieves guild area. I just remember to save often when I'm there.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Happening a lot more for me since the patch. The only mod i have installed anymore is the FXAA one. I turned off every other mod cause i couldnt get through a loading screen without crashing. Now its one every 5 or 10 loading screens and 80% of the time its when im fast traveling

Edit: just noticed when i change my FoV to 75(which is what ive been playing on for almost 98hrs) it crashes very quickly.
malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts
had close to 15+ craches and all were in that bonechill cave. never had any after that though...
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
crashed a few times before the patch, no crashes since the patch.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

If you had the thing to make skyrim use more then 2gb, you should turn that off and if needed replace your skyrim.exe with the original one (can find thsi at nexus skyrim mods).

Steam did an update to not allow people to play skyrim without steam and editing the exe file (which is what that 2gb>>> did).

I started up skyrim after this update and it crashed every 10 seconds (after only crashing once in 64 hours). I just turned the 2GB>>> thing off and then replaced the .exe in steam/skyrim with the original one. Working fine for 2-3 hours after.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
This is the new skyrim4gb mod. Seems to be working great for me, no crashes my last 2hrs since trying it. All credits go to the author on nexus.

Skyrim4gb
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I've had about 5 crashes before patch and 1 afterwards.

fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

I had a couple of crashes on launch day until I figured out the audio-hz setting. Since then zero crashes. I didn't even know there was a patch.

vortix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vortix
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Well, I'm seeing very frequent crashes. Game ran pretty well originally, with only one or two crashes a night. Now, I'm level 25 and the crashes are occurring so frequently that it's pretty much unplayable at this point. Here's what I've tried:

1) I reset the sound quality to 44100 as pointed out by many others. This seems to have had no effect on the crash frequency.

2) I've verified I have the most recent drivers (catalyst 11.11) and application profiles (11.11 cap2)

3) I've applied the large address aware patch. However, after the last update it appears this no longer works and the game will not launch at all until modified back.

4) I've reinstalled Skyrim and verified local files.

Thus far, none of these have had any impact on the crashes. In case it helps (although I don't believe this problem is hardware related), these are the important bits of the system:

Win 7 64 Professional

Core I7 980X

Radeon 6990

Acer GD235Hz monitor (3, but running single screen 1920x1080 for Skyrim)

12G Ram

Asus Rampage III Gene

Corsair AX1200 power supply

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
My game only crashes when I set the game to Ultra (with Shadows on High) Something in the Ultra preset must be causing problems... Maybe it's the object fade option... I don't know... I'd rather be playing than testing :P
sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

revert to the old exe with the laa mod installed on. all u have to do is look at ur skyrim properties and previous versions then grab that exe back it up in case and copy and replace ur current exe with that. its not that hard

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
I get them in all instances, indoor, outdoor, fast travelling. Even when theres hardly anything going on. My crashes increased by frequence until i got to level 12 but i couldn't even load those saves as it instantly crashed to desktop so im back to a level 8 save. Fix the problem dammit! :(
jhonny7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jhonny7
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I had absolutely no CTDs before this unannounced patch on steam ... Now i can't seem to walk ten steps without it!!! This basically did to my game what I was reading about happening to other players ... other posters were complaining about CTDs before this patch and I was like, WTH are these guys talking about, my game is silky smooth. If this is the kind of patches we are going to get then I beg them not to give us any more! Plz!
jhonny7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jhonny7
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I had absolutely no CTDs before this unannounced patch on steam ... Now i can't seem to walk ten steps without it!!! This basically did to my game what I was reading about happening to other players ... other posters were complaining about CTDs before this patch and I was like, WTH are these guys talking about, my game is silky smooth. If this is the kind of patches we are going to get then I beg them not to give us any more! Plz!
vortix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vortix
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Just as an update, after applying using the latest method to make Skyrim use more than 2G of memory, I have seen no issues at all. This has completely fixed all my crashes and works with the latest update to Skyrim as well:

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts
Agreed, i changed mine to 44100hz 24bit. Mine was a bit higher and no crashes yet.

I had a couple of crashes on launch day until I figured out the audio-hz setting. Since then zero crashes. I didn't even know there was a patch.

fivex84
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Before mods I had 0 crashes and now with mods I get about 3 per day. Its annoying but I just remember to save very often

CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CoS_Ethan
Member since 2011 • 381 Posts

I'm ready to play the game, crashes, I have to hesitate.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

I usually get crashes when fast traveling or leaving a cave, mine, etc.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Happens rarely for me, like one time every 3-4 hours, but it's no biggie as the auto-save system is great.

banzaigtv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 banzaigtv
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts

I had my audio setting on 24-bit 48 khz (for the purpose of Blu-ray video playback) and has occasional CTDs in Whiterun. I changed the audio to 24-bit 44.1 khz and not only has the game stopped crashing, but the game ran considerably smoother. I would like to find out how I could have an application use an exclusive audio setting on Windows 7. I would be tired of constantly switching audio settings every time I watch a Blu-ray film and launch Skyrim.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#29 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Just used the Skyrim 4GB Ram thing, it much more stable and it only crashed after 4 hours instead of regulary.

999realthings
Would you still reccomend using it if you only have 4GB of RAM in your system ?
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Also changed my audio to 24-bit 44.1khz, for some reason it was at 16-bit 48khz.. Will let you all know how it goes after ive played it, whch will probably be later on.
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="999realthings"]

Just used the Skyrim 4GB Ram thing, it much more stable and it only crashed after 4 hours instead of regulary.

Chris_53
Would you still reccomend using it if you only have 4GB of RAM in your system ?

Using it with 4GB RAM is fine.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Skyrim would crash directly to desktop every two hours. I will be doing really anything, loading to another zone, running, or talking to a NPC the game would crash to my desktop instantly.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
What the... the PS3 syndrome is also happening on the PC version? Damn it to hell.. Bethz. (not trying to troll). I haven't played Skyrim in a good while. Perhaps I'll play it again this weekend and report if I notice any differences.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

the 4gig ram mod helped alot for me...

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I basically don't crash while using the 4GB RAM mod (though it's 1.3 or something, an older version - hadn't bothered to look for updates). Without it, I crash infrequently.. maybe every couple of hours.
Pinthar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pinthar
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Help! I'm so pissed off. Who is ready to join me in a class action law suit against Bethesda? Too many players are reporting problems with Skyrim. No fixes, no Support, no updates and no playablitiy. I didn't give these a-holes my money to sit for hours on end trying to get the game to work. Why does it need Steam? Why? Why couldn't Bethesda just make it like Morrowind, or Oblivion? Why stupid Steam launcher. It doesn't work, and crashes games. This is ridiculous. So, if you want to join me in a class action suit against Bethesda targeting the playabliity of Skyrim, them please please contact me. I just want my money back - or a game that freaking works without crashing on start up and without stupid Steam. I haven't even been able to start a freaking game because it just crashes to desktop right when the guy in the cart talks to me. forget this. I'm so pissed off at Bethesda crapworks...I'm ready to play hardball with these idiots! Get rid of Steam, and make this game playable!!!!! And yes, I changed the sound, lowered my graphics, reset, reboot, re-installed, uninstalled, and NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING works.. law suit!!!!!!!!!!! You guys want your money back for the crap non-working, no fun, game Bethesda crapworks has produced. Contact me!!! I'm not being nice, and I shouldn't after reading all the problems people have been having. GET RID OF STEAM. MAKE THIS GAME PLAYABLE!!!!! My PC meets all the requirements and them some to play this game...crap, crap, crap!!!!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Happened to me all the time before th patch, to the point I took a break on it to focus on RAGE and Dead Island for a bit. Hopefully the patch means no more of that for me.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Help! I'm so pissed off. Who is ready to join me in a class action law suit against Bethesda? Too many players are reporting problems with Skyrim. No fixes, no Support, no updates and no playablitiy. I didn't give these a-holes my money to sit for hours on end trying to get the game to work. Why does it need Steam? Why? Why couldn't Bethesda just make it like Morrowind, or Oblivion? Why stupid Steam launcher. It doesn't work, and crashes games. This is ridiculous. So, if you want to join me in a class action suit against Bethesda targeting the playabliity of Skyrim, them please please contact me. I just want my money back - or a game that freaking works without crashing on start up and without stupid Steam. I haven't even been able to start a freaking game because it just crashes to desktop right when the guy in the cart talks to me. forget this. I'm so pissed off at Bethesda crapworks...I'm ready to play hardball with these idiots! Get rid of Steam, and make this game playable!!!!! And yes, I changed the sound, lowered my graphics, reset, reboot, re-installed, uninstalled, and NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING works.. law suit!!!!!!!!!!! You guys want your money back for the crap non-working, no fun, game Bethesda crapworks has produced. Contact me!!! I'm not being nice, and I shouldn't after reading all the problems people have been having. GET RID OF STEAM. MAKE THIS GAME PLAYABLE!!!!! My PC meets all the requirements and them some to play this game...crap, crap, crap!!!!Pinthar

Dammit, should have known this was a necro thread. These things are everywhere lately.

At least its one from a month ago and not a decade ago.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
It's only happened to me a couple of times, and I've played for about 100hrs so far.. The broken bookcase in the Breezehome was more frustrating, and that barely bothered me...
Pinthar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pinthar
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Please help. SKYRIM. I have loaded the game through Steam. launched the game through Steam, and presto game works...until I awaken in the cart, then it crashes, over and over and over and over...I've managed to get to the part where I at least can look around at the other criminals in the cart...and then it crashes. Have not been able to start a game...cant even get to make my character.... Crash crash after crash. I updated to DX11, I've upgraded my AMD 1 gig DDR5 graphics card. I've made the sound check. I've added the "off" to anti-aliasing...and nothing works. I've turned my fan speed up to 80%, I've turned down to bare minimum graphics...Everything that is supposed to work FAILS! Please help. I want to play this game soon or I'm going to have to sue Bethesda to refund my game money on account the game doesn't work...and looking around, many, many people seem to have the same problem...They should call it Crashrim instead. If anyone can help me please. My system more than meets the basic requirements to run the game. Here is my system specs: * 2000.40 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity * 877.52 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space * Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002) * 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core * 128 kilobyte primary memory cache * 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache * 64-bit ready * Multi-core (2 total) * Not hyper-threaded *AMD Radeon HD 6770 Series [Display adapter] *1GB/Go *GDDR5 *3582 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB Slot 'A2' has 1024 MB Slot 'A3' has 1024 MB
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Dammit, should have known this was a necro thread. These things are everywhere lately. At least its one from a month ago and not a decade ago.SPYDER0416
Month old, years old... if they're bumped, we lock them! :twisted: