This topic is locked from further discussion.

MalachiLiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MalachiLiu
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts

hey, Im a huge fan of RTS games and have been very interested in both games and just recently built a computer to handle these games well. However, since i've already spent so much on the computer i dont really wanna spend that much money on gaming for a while so against my own will i can only buy one of these 2 games.

Which one would be a better buy overall? Thanks for your opinions

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I think Sins is by far the better game, but it's not really an RTS - it's more like a real time representation of a turn based strategy game.

Check out the video review in the link in my sig if you want more info on the game.

Avatar image for Mapleleafs4life
Mapleleafs4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mapleleafs4life
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts

world in conflict has amazing multiplayer, the graphics are jaw dropping, the action is alot of fun and different while it still has a great, but short single player. It's overall an awesome game but I wouldn't get it if you have no plans for online multiplayer.

I haven't played Sins but from what i've seen its more of a slow paced game where there is alot more strategy involved. The space theme of it is really cool though and I personally love the idea of long 3 hour matches where there is no real rush on you, where you can just build your economy, unlike other traditonal rts games.

Both games aren't really 'rts' games though, at least not compared to what your probalby used to.

matt120282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 matt120282
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

both are quality games, here are some pros/cons for each;

sins - no SP campaign, multiplayer and cpu skirmishes take hours even on the smallest maps. huge amount of life and replayabilty

WiC - SP campaign, skirmishes, multiplayer. shorter more intense battles.

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
Go try a game called worldshift. You can sign up for the beta on fileplanet and download the client there. Its amazing.
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
I would recommend Sins based of demo experiences (I have full WiC) and that WiC gets old quickly.
bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts
Sins will give you the better value it is such a great game. WIC is a good choice to pick up later to play for the MP.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Ironically I reinstalled WiC last night and after playing the first few missions I will definately say Sins is the better game. By a long shot.

Thats not to say WiC is bad. Its a 9.0+ title imo...but sins is just mo' fun! ideally you should own both.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Both are amazing games, but Sins of a Solar Empire is a lot more stategic and a much more rewarding game IMO. I say get that but definately get World in Conflict later on when you have some cash. Carries a great single slayer and a addictive multiplayer.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
I'd highly reccomend world in conflict, i didn't find that it gets old fast, after beating the single player and playing the mp for over 50 hours (and counting), i can fairly say it doesn't get old fast. I havent played sins, but from what i heard, it's supposed to be excellent. everyone seems ot love it. i'd play the demo for both, and see which one you like more.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

I haven't played Sins, but I can promise that you won't be disappointed if you get WiC. The SP is great, but the MP is really where it's at. There are over 20 incredibly destructible maps, four roles (player classes) that feel unique and balanced and the battles are not only crazy fun and intense, but also eye candy. It has a way of requiring teamwork to win, but making it easy to do even with strangers (but if you have friends with the game, you'll have a lot more fun, like just about every game).

Plus, it's unique. It's fast like a shooter, but plays like an RTS and overall lots of fun. A must-buy if you're a fan of multiplayer RTS (techincally RTT)

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

Sins is structured very well, but I quit playing after one game...the lack of a single player campaign was a deal breaker for me. I wish I would have read the reviews or the box more carefully. I can't recommend Sins.

Avatar image for ThePostalWorker
ThePostalWorker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePostalWorker
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
WiC. I love that game.
zhivago_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zhivago_x
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
Both great games. WiC feels more like a traditional RTS while Sins is more like a combination of GalCiv and Homeworld. Whatever you choose you won't make a mistake
Zythyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Zythyl
Member since 2006 • 545 Posts
Sins is very good. Very very good.
usmchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 usmchero
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
World in conflict is a really fun game, its graphics are realistic, i love the nuclear explosions, heheheh, i have this trainer that lets me order infinite nukes :) the whole map gives off radiation!! wheeeee
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mfsa

Just to clarify on the people saying Sins doesn't have a single player campaign - it doesn't have a campaign in the same way that the Civilization and Total War games don't have campaigns.

There is a very solid (and very long lasting) single player game, it's just not the typical mission based structure you see in RTS games - but again, Sins isn't an RTS.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

World in Conflict for sure. It will really get you to appreciate your new computer. Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game and I really recommend it but it doesn't have the "explosive action" of World in Conflict.

Both great games. WiC feels more like a traditional RTS while Sins is more like a combination of GalCiv and Homeworld. Whatever you choose you won't make a mistakezhivago_x

World in Conflict is all but traditional.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

Just to clarify on the people saying Sins doesn't have a single player campaign - it doesn't have a campaign in the same way that the Civilization and Total War games don't have campaigns.

There is a very solid (and very long lasting) single player game, it's just not the typical mission based structure you see in RTS games - but again, Sins isn't an RTS.

mfsa

Sins single player is closes to an expanded RTS skirmish than to something like Total War or Civilization. Anyways the 4X element in the game is not that strong so in reality it is an RTS... but with different pacing.

To the TP; both of the are great games and you might as well try out the demos to see which one you prefer as they play differently.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Company of Heroes.. best RTS out there.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mfsa
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

Nikalai_88

Sins single player is closes to an expanded RTS skirmish than to something like Total War or Civilization. Anyways the 4X element in the game is not that strong so in reality it is an RTS... but with different pacing.

To the TP; both of the are great games and you might as well try out the demos to see which one you prefer as they play differently.

Yeah, it is closer to RTS than 4X, but a typical RTS game will last 15-90 minutes, while a typical game of Sins might be a hundred times that if you're playing with 5+ people/AIs. I was just trying to establish that Sins isn't a typical RTS, and because of the nature of the game, it doesn't really need a campaign - and a campaign arguably wouldn't work out so well, either.

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

Company of Heroes.. best RTS out there.Rattlesnake_8

That and WiC are probably my all time favourite strategy games. CoH is probably a better deal because it's cheaper, but you absolutely cannot go wrong either way. Or better yet, get them both!

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

I'm not very interested in WiC.

I played and loved Sins, but I haven't played it in a long time... too slow paced IMO.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

I'm not very interested in WiC.

I played and loved Sins, but I haven't played it in a long time... too slow paced IMO.

aliblabla2007
Only reason I haven't played Sins in a while is because matches take way too long and I never have the time to play through a full one. Only time I can play is probably during weekends.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Only reason I haven't played Sins in a while is because matches take way too long and I never have the time to play through a full one. Only time I can play is probably during weekends.
mo0ksi

I did once. it took 6 hours on a large map with 1 AI.

mhello99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mhello99
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

What a game, 6 hours that's way too long for an Strategy game..

Must be an very hard Strategy Game.. ^^

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

World In Conflict.

The only downside is that the first mission absolutely sucks.

But then the story gets better and better, the gameplay opens up and by the end of the fifth mission you'll be amazed.

The missions themselves are brilliant.

And the multiplayer is something really original.

BoyarPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BoyarPunk
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

With GTA IV out in seven-eight days, I'm debating on whether to pick up a copy of Sins. I heard that, if it draws you in, it sucks your time away.

I might wait to get World in Conflict until the Soviet SP campaign is released.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#29 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Company of Heroes.. best RTS out there.AlternatingCaps

That and WiC are probably my all time favourite strategy games. CoH is probably a better deal because it's cheaper, but you absolutely cannot go wrong either way. Or better yet, get them both!

agreed, although i think the tc said he doesn't usually play rts games, and i wouldn't reccomend coh to a begginner. it's pretty tough, whereas if he is used to shooters, WIC is a great transitional step. it's an rts that has the pace of an fps, so i'd start with that. the only problem being that the controls of WIC will spoil you, and make it harder to get back into older, or more tradidional rts games.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts
[QUOTE="AlternatingCaps"]

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Company of Heroes.. best RTS out there.with_teeth26

agreed, although i think the tc said he doesn't usually play rts games, and i wouldn't reccomend coh to a begginner. it's pretty tough, whereas if he is used to shooters, WIC is a great transitional step. it's an rts that has the pace of an fps, so i'd start with that. the only problem being that the controls of WIC will spoil you, and make it harder to get back into older, or more tradidional rts games.

Still, nothing spoils like Supreme Commander...

When I returned to traditional RTS games after playing that one, it was such a shock, it ruined my C&C3 experience - I was so zoomed in!

Protoford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Protoford
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
Play the Demos and decide.
Xavier_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xavier_12
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts

I say Sins if you have the time to devote to it. I don't and barely play it.