Single player games with high replayability value?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kopogero
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

I'm trying to find enjoyable games like Civilization 5, NBA2k13 even Skyrim. Something that I won't finish too quick and will be playing on and off for a while. Also I'm trying to find a great racing game atm.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#2 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

In terms of replayability to see a different experience I would say The Witcher 2.

The storyline can go in one of three directions with two major questlines, and completing one doesn't grant you access to the other on that playthrough. It's a great game that just surprised me with that seccond questline. I have five endings kept safe for importining into The Witcher 3 to see what different outcomes I can find.

I also recommend Fallout: New Vegas. I like it more than any of The Elder Scrolls games and Fallout 3. It's a fun, open-world game that you can keep coming back to but it also has four different questlines that you can follow for the main story and they're really good. Unlike Bethesda's anticlimactic and generally half-hearted attempts at a main story.

The Mass Effect trilogy is also really good. The three games make up one really long session that should take anywhere from 60-100 hours depending on the time you put in and it's definitely replayable to see how different events pan out throughout the trilogy.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

1. Fallout New Vegas - So many wyas to play this game, I am on my 8th playthrough right now.

2. Anno2070 - I have over 200 hours on this game, probably 3/4 that is singleplayer the other coop with a friend. Amazing game that never gets boring to me in continous mode. Also the latest expansion pack called DEEP OCEAN is wicked to.

3. Galactic Civilization 2 and or Fallen Enchantress - If you like Civilization you should enjoy these two games from Stardock, very simialir but I like em slightly more.

4. Total War Shogun2 and its expansion packs - Have over 200 hours on this to, and like anno the continous style mode can be played ove rand over and its different every time. Also can be plaeyd in coop campaign with a friend. Great singleplayer, good coop.

5. Gothic 2 - Another rpg that I have beaten a good amount of times (4 time) and still enjoy playing it.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I've spent nearly 250 hours with Total War: Shogun 2. Should last for quite a while :P

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
The Witcher 2 Fallout New Vegas Deus Ex Just Cause 2 Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (one match can take days to finish)
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

The Witcher 2 Fallout New Vegas Deus Ex Just Cause 2 Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (one match can take days to finish)Toxic-Seahorse

Good call on Sins Of A Solar Empire: Rebbelion, underrated game from this year imo.

Also each game can be very different which I like (Similair to Anno2070, Shogun2 and Galactic Civilization2 in that aspect)

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
All the Half-life games
yodude1026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yodude1026
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts
I recommend Skyrim or the Witcher 2..... Skyrim above all :D
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

After finishing up Fallout 3 GOTY edition, I'm excited about all the NV recommendations as I have enjoyed 3. :)

I'll recommend Skyrim as I've clocked 100 hours into it so far with about two playthroughs. I will agree that the main quest isn't very impressive, but I found the side quests and exploriation a lot of fun.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

stalker: call of pripyat

farcry 3

wh40k: dawn of war II + x-pacs

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Atom Zombie Smasher. If you can look past the graphics you'll find a highly addictive game with a lot of replayability.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

dishonored

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I have played through Mass Effect 1 5 times, game is just awesome to play and build characters.
Temporius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Temporius
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts
In order of increasing difficulty: ToME4,nethack, ADOM. ADOM in particular has the average time to first win of about 5 years.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I came here to say: Fallout New Vegas.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Far Cry 3 to me. It'll be a loooong time before I can even think about replayability. :lol:

AM_Putra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AM_Putra
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hm, how about playing casual games? There are many titles which will suitable with your demand.
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

Easily Dark Souls you WILL beat it at least more than 5 times it's that addictive. Jet Set Radio also has a lot of replayability value IMO. I'd also recommend the Crysis and Far Cry series (FC3 and Crysis1/Wh would be my top picks) since you can play them in basically any style you want (if I were to go for only one of these I'd choose FC3).

But really, Dark Souls.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Definitely the Hitman games, you can play the levels over and over and solve them different if that's your thing.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Any Bioware RPG (like the Mass Effect series) that has already been mentioned are great because you can change how the game plays out with your choices. The Bethesda open-world RPGs are fun for the same reason and because you can tailor your character differently each time, forcing you to find different solutions to problems.

Alpha Protocol is like this as well, but it's a modern spy/thriller game instead of a straight sci-fi or fantasy game. This game plays significantly different on replays depending on the order in which you hit the missions (which in turn determines which characters you meet first). It's not a perfect game but I really enjoyed it in spite of its flaws.

Dark Souls, as 8-bitterness mentioned, is freakin' awesome. I generally do not like dungeon crawler action RPGs as a rule but Demons Souls and Dark Souls are both fantastic games (although Dark Souls is the only one that made it to PC). The game has a very solid combat system that's satisfying and fun while also being deceptively deep (just look at any of the hundreds of Youtube videos describing the mechanics of rolling, parrying, riposting, poise, magic, thrusting versus slashing weapons, counter hits, dead angles, backstabbing, PvP, etc. The way online features are integrated into the core gameplay is also really entertaining. While I've put a fair amount of time into games like Skyrim and Fallout, I have put in at least 150 hours into Dark Souls since it got released on Steam not that long ago.

-Byshop

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

Total War (any of them, rome, medieval, empire, shogun) grand campaign games 2-400 hours (remember mods as well, for completely new experiences: www.twcenter.net).

GalCiv 2 50-200 hours..

Civ games - 50-150 hours a piece.

Dawn of discovery/anno games -50-100 hours.

Then you got the RPG's with alternating endings, im not that much into playing a story based game more than once, but apparently

Witcher 2 should be quite decent for a 2nd playthrough (even if you got a good memory) 50-100 hours.

Mass Effect is said by many, to be replayable as well (I could not play any ME game more than once though, first playthrough is good though, and will net you a good amount of game time) 100-200 hours for I+II+III.

Then we got the openworld sandboxy arrpeegee games,

Skyrim is pretty much the king here, oblivion and morrowind as well, if you're not afraid of older graphics. around 500 hours for all games

Far cry 3 to some extent, im not that fond of it compared to TES games or even FO games, it's good enough to warrant a single playthrough though. put around 25-30 hours into this one.

Fallout 3 and new vegas, FO2 and even 1 if you're still not afraid of older graphics not the 500 hours as the tes games, but surely around 400 hours :)

TES games got a sh1tload of mods, which can further expand the world and breathe new life into the game.

Gothic games as well, lots of choice in those ones, all older graphics, all european (no hand holding, no easy mode, generally require a bit of thought before action).

Theres more im sure, but this is a pretty good foundation for great single player experiences.

Happy gaming ;)

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Mass Effect
  • Rome/Medieval 2/Empire/Shogun 2 Total War games
  • The Witcher
  • Mount and Blade: Warband
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Starcraft 2
  • Deus Ex: Human Evolution
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Half-Life 2. I must have finished that game over 10 times and I still would another.

IceAxe18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IceAxe18
Member since 2003 • 622 Posts
I would recommend Skyrim, and then get both DLC plus there will be another DLC sometime soon, and you can use the creation kit to make new adventure for your self.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
The Witcher 2.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Easily Dark Souls you WILL beat it at least more than 5 times it's that addictive. Jet Set Radio also has a lot of replayability value IMO. I'd also recommend the Crysis and Far Cry series (FC3 and Crysis1/Wh would be my top picks) since you can play them in basically any style you want (if I were to go for only one of these I'd choose FC3).

But really, Dark Souls.

8-Bitterness
Yeah.. Demon's Souls was great... it really took me back to the 8-bit days when I was a kid. It's the modern day 8-bit video game and I will definitely buy it if it ever drops to $15 like it did during the Autumn Sale on Amazon.com. I've made up my mind that I will buy a controller for it, just to play it. But it will be good for me too because then, I could catch up on my racing and NBA 2K games.
misteroram01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 misteroram01

For the replayability tmy vote is for The Witcher 2.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#30 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Batman Arkham City - a truckload of things to do in the city once you've finished the missions.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Byshop  Moderator

Batman Arkham City - a truckload of things to do in the city once you've finished the missions. biggest_loser

Yeah, this is also a good suggestion. I've literally beaten the game 5 times because it's just so much fun to play, fly around the city and drop out of the sky on unsuspecting thugs. The deep combat system, the mixture of stealth and beat-em-up gameplay, the challenge maps, and the New Game + modes all make this an intensely replayable game.

-Byshop

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
Batman Arkham City - a truckload of things to do in the city once you've finished the missions. biggest_loser
Agreed, although it really is a chore going after all the Riddler trophies.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Batman Arkham City - a truckload of things to do in the city once you've finished the missions. THGarrett
Agreed, although it really is a chore going after all the Riddler trophies.

Yeah, even though I got them all it was a pain.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Byshop  Moderator

Yeah, even though I got them all it was a pain.ShadowsDemon

I got enough to beat his quest but I never did track down that last 40 or so.

-Byshop

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#35 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

1. Fallout New Vegas - So many wyas to play this game, I am on my 8th playthrough right now.

2. Anno2070 - I have over 200 hours on this game, probably 3/4 that is singleplayer the other coop with a friend. Amazing game that never gets boring to me in continous mode. Also the latest expansion pack called DEEP OCEAN is wicked to.

3. Galactic Civilization 2 and or Fallen Enchantress - If you like Civilization you should enjoy these two games from Stardock, very simialir but I like em slightly more.

4. Total War Shogun2 and its expansion packs - Have over 200 hours on this to, and like anno the continous style mode can be played ove rand over and its different every time. Also can be plaeyd in coop campaign with a friend. Great singleplayer, good coop.

5. Gothic 2 - Another rpg that I have beaten a good amount of times (4 time) and still enjoy playing it.

kozzy1234
My first thought is when do you have time to sleep?
AM_Putra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AM_Putra
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

vfibsux

Hahaha, gamers don't have to sleep at all. Any game with procedural generated levels such as roguelike genre can be considered as game with high replayability value.
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

vfibsux

'

Sleep is for inferior human beings

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
nights into dreams is highly replayable
D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

I find the oroginal Crysis to be very replayable, even after all these years im still finding new ways of getting through levels. Then you can much around with the configs to change way the suit/health/AI behave.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Yeah, even though I got them all it was a pain.Byshop

I got enough to beat his quest but I never did track down that last 40 or so.

-Byshop

YOu mean the catwoman ones?
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Byshop  Moderator

YOu mean the catwoman ones?ShadowsDemon

The 40 or so I have left are probably a 10/30 split between Batman and Catwoman, respectively. Most of them are Catwoman, though. I have little desire to go back and try to "catch em all" now that I've completed the mission related to them.

One thing that annoyed me about the game (although it's a minor complaint against an AWESOMELY fun game), is that all the trophies are scored the same. I get one trophy for picking one up that's sitting out in the open and I also get one trophy for picking one up that's a mad feat of aeronautical insanity that takes me 20 tries.

-Byshop

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]YOu mean the catwoman ones?Byshop

The 40 or so I have left are probably a 10/30 split between Batman and Catwoman, respectively. Most of them are Catwoman, though. I have little desire to go back and try to "catch em all" now that I've completed the mission related to them.

One thing that annoyed me about the game (although it's a minor complaint against an AWESOMELY fun game), is that all the trophies are scored the same. I get one trophy for picking one up that's sitting out in the open and I also get one trophy for picking one up that's a mad feat of aeronautical insanity that takes me 20 tries.

-Byshop

Yeah I noticed that too. It shows that the developer really didn't care in that part...
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Easily the Fallout games. Even once you start finishing every hidden quest and finding every hidden item and location and almost being done with everything, the mods and DLC can offer dozens of hours of extra content. New Vegas for example, I have several mods that extended playtime by quite a bit by adding a sweet Bounty Hunter questline that integrates rather seamlessly with the story, but even without it, it would easily take at least 120 hours to see everything you can in one playthrough, and that's ignoring the branching paths and different factions that open up the replay possibilities.

Far Cry 3 is also absolutely huge, I only beat it in less than a week because I power gamed during a vacation period. You could get dozens of hours from the single player alone.

Dark Souls I actually still haven't beaten despite buying it day one back in October 2011 for my PS3, so that goes to show how big of a game it is (I am close though!)

Mass Effect series is like $30 for the trilogy I think, so that's easily over 100 hours, not including replays to see different character arcs and endings and whatnot.

I also shouldn't have to tell you about Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row and Just Cause 2 all being massive and entertaining series with tons to do. The GTA IV trilogy may not be optimized well, but by now it shouldn't be hard to run it and if you go for all the side content and play the episodes, you can spend a long time playing it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Byshop  Moderator

Far Cry 3 is also absolutely huge, I only beat it in less than a week because I power gamed during a vacation period. You could get dozens of hours from the single player alone.

Dark Souls I actually still haven't beaten despite buying it day one back in October 2011 for my PS3, so that goes to show how big of a game it is (I am close though!)

Mass Effect series is like $30 for the trilogy I think, so that's easily over 100 hours, not including replays to see different character arcs and endings and whatnot.

SPYDER0416

I confess I've been playing a lot of Far Cry 3. I'm not the sort who usually jumps on the "recommend the game that just came out" bandwagon, but FC3 is surprisingly good. The island is a blast to explore, shooting galapagos turtles in the face with a shotgun to craft a weapons belt that holds four weapons, experimenting with new takedown tecniques, starting jungle fires, etc, is all a blast.

But Dark Souls is still my go-to game. I lingered in the Kiln of the First Flame with my 120 lvl character just so I could do high level PvP. Even with my lvl 86 Dex/Int build I pretty much just hang out in the forest looking for players to kill. I really need to start making forward progress again, but PvP is so awesome once you get the mechanics of it.

-Byshop

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

civilization, master of arcane

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts

kozzy1234

On Fallout New Vegas is there any DLC good for just starting out?

Sacred has a lot of things to do but can get boring after awhile