Sick and tired by BS from major companies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PredatorRules (12075 posts) -

Ok, after reading the title - let me get straight to it > my boiling point is StarCraft Heart of the Swarm ATM

I'm not going to say it's a bad expansion, by no means; I loved SC2 game - it was and probably still best RTS for these times where there're no good RTS released and if so they're pure crap!

The brand new "expansion" which is totally not expansion IMO because of it's size and it's full 60$ price and by it's full campaign content - I call it a brand new game.

My problem with Blizzard/Activision is not their usual 60$ price tags for their games but this time the BS they've come to, forcing you buy the original SC2 to actually play the so called "expansion pack";

If they want to call it expansion pack, then why not making it a stand alone?!?!

A) The game weights like a full game - therefor by calling it expansion you need to make this release as a stand alone.

B) It's full 60$ price make this game a full game/A stand alone expansion pack.

C) The amount of content given inside this game again force it to be called a full game or stand alone expansion pack

Why someone that just paid a full priced 60$ game needs to go back to the store and get the previous game for like another 40$?!?!

Can you see my point here? A full 60$ for expansion that doesn't count as a stand alone.

It's sad that our gaming life is running based on some major companies that set the rules and you don't have any other option to go to; By RTS genre you've got like what Warcraft and Starcraft from Blizzard, Red Alert and Command and Conquer from EA; I'm not counting other good RTS that were made in the last decade such as Rise of Nations etc. because those games are so few that none of them didn't made to the top RTS franchise. 

If you don't believe me just start a new topic in GS and as for good modern RTS - I want those answered to be rolled by numbers and count how many people will answer right away StarCraft Heart of the Swarm.

#2 Posted by True_Sounds (2915 posts) -

Well you can't expect to avoid what you're complaining about without being picky and choosy with your AAA games as well.  I mean, my most played game is DOTA2.  That's a major company and it costs nothing to play it.  There are plenty of options out there because it IS a competitive market whether you will believe it or not.

#3 Posted by XaosII (16705 posts) -

I dont get it. The game is priced at $40 anywhere is the US. Its priced at expansion level pricing. Not at $60.

What would make you believe that this should be a $60 standalone game?

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (12075 posts) -

Well you can't expect to avoid what you're complaining about without being picky and choosy with your AAA games as well.  I mean, my most played game is DOTA2.  That's a major company and it costs nothing to play it.  There are plenty of options out there because it IS a competitive market whether you will believe it or not.

True_Sounds

I googled if original DOTA was free just to make sure not getting flamed for wrong asnwer and the I found this "You need to buy Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne (expansion) in order to play the newest versions." Which means you need to spend money to play the old game back at that time; DOTA 2 now is free because they've lost the competition to RIOT games which made League of Legends who rolled and keep rolling millions of dollars. So yeah don't go and say that big company did a good deed and released us gamers a free game which is successful- if they've charged it for 60$ it would just fail due to popularity of LoL

#5 Posted by Mazoch (2471 posts) -
HOTS costs $40 not $60, I'm guessing that is why they are requiring the player to have WoL, if they sold it as a stand alone it would be priced at a full $60.
#6 Posted by MacBoomStick (1822 posts) -

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

PredatorRules

I googled if original DOTA was free just to make sure not getting flamed for wrong asnwer and the I found this "You need to buy Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne (expansion) in order to play the newest versions." Which means you need to spend money to play the old game back at that time; DOTA 2 now is free because they've lost the competition to RIOT games which made League of Legends who rolled and keep rolling millions of dollars. So yeah don't go and say that big company did a good deed and released us gamers a free game which is successful- if they've charged it for 60$ it would just fail due to popularity of LoL

So much stupid... 1. HoTS is $40 and WoL was on sale for $20 2. DOTA 2 was always free and is the most played game on steam
#7 Posted by Mazoch (2471 posts) -

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

PredatorRules

The reason why DOTA requires WarCraft3 and it's expansion pack is because DOTA was fan made mod. DOTA wasn't made or released by Blizzard. DOTA 2 wasn't made by Blizzard either, it was made Valve. I'm not saying that there are no legitimate complaints you could leverage at Blizzard, but in this case you're off base. Blizzard never owned DOTA and thus never charged for it any more than DayZ never charged for ARMA2. They did loose out in the competition with Riot since they were never in competition with Riot and they never made DOTA2 a free game since they have nothing to do with the development of DOTA2.
#8 Posted by True_Sounds (2915 posts) -

DOTA 2 now is free because they've lost the competition to RIOT games which made League of Legends who rolled and keep rolling millions of dollars. So yeah don't go and say that big company did a good deed and released us gamers a free game which is successful

PredatorRules

Gonna ignore how misleaded and how wrong that statement is.  Do you really expect handouts from major devs?  It sounds that way.

Many major devs give steep discounts on their games even in the first calenday year after release, the prices and competition on PC are much better than on consoles.  

#9 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

PredatorRules

You are going to get flamed anyway because Dota is a custom map in Warcraft 3 and is free as long as you have the game + expansion.

#10 Posted by nutcrackr (13029 posts) -
interesting, here HOTS is like half price of SC2
#11 Posted by JKnaperek (2023 posts) -
lol get over it-the game has been out for years.
#12 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

I dont get it. The game is priced at $40 anywhere is the US. Its priced at expansion level pricing. Not at $60.

What would make you believe that this should be a $60 standalone game?

XaosII
This, I stopped reading at the price, you're full of it.
#13 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

Where do you live that its $60?

#14 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Cwagmire21
Just some random derp complaining that expansions need base games to be played, either too young or too much of a console player to know much about how expansions always worked on PC.
#15 Posted by mhofever (3960 posts) -

£24.95 in UK , which is about $37 but I think because nowdays the usual retail price is $60, people get riled up because expansions are also slightly more expensive than they were before. Anyway, just wait for a year or so, the price will drop. You can get WoL for $27 in certain places nowdays. 

Avatar image for crippledmachine
#16 Posted by crippledmachine (256 posts) -

I never buy expansion packs anyway.

#17 Posted by PredatorRules (12075 posts) -

Cwagmire21

Israel, eh should've digitally downloaded it from their official site

#18 Posted by Falconoffury (1722 posts) -

Blizzard has a mysterious power. They can charge full price for games and expansion packs and make bank. Most others are going free to play, or deeply discounted prices. The old business model works just fine for Blizzard. For most others, it doesn't work.

#19 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
I googled if original DOTA was free just to make sure not getting flamed for wrong asnwer and the I found this "You need to buy Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne (expansion) in order to play the newest versions." Which means you need to spend money to play the old game back at that time; DOTA 2 now is free because they've lost the competition to RIOT games which made League of Legends who rolled and keep rolling millions of dollars. So yeah don't go and say that big company did a good deed and released us gamers a free game which is successful- if they've charged it for 60$ it would just fail due to popularity of LoLPredatorRules
Because Dota is a custom map of TFT. Of course you will need RoC and TFT for play Dota, which is free if you own WC3. As for Dota2 being free, all other MOBAs are F2P. Valve would be stupid to have people pay an initial price for play Dota2 while LoL, HoN and many other MOBAs are free. That thing that Valve lost the competition because of LoL is completely stupid and ignorant, especially since Dota2 is the most played game on Steam right now.
#20 Posted by Bieberfan147 (106 posts) -
They should just make the game monthly payments like wow or just make us pay for it upfront like all games